PDA

View Full Version : AEF Volunteer Requirements

AbledFlight
14th Apr 2007, 02:36
Firstly, I was at a loss as to where to post this; but here seems more appropriate than mil. Please move if needed!

Air Experience Flights(RAF/ATC/UAS)
As far as I know, these are staffed by current/ex RAF pilots and civvies. I wonder if anyone knows the ins/outs and in particular the requirements of Civvie service with an AEF?

Many Thanks!

SFH
14th Apr 2007, 09:48
AbledFlight,
It would seem there is some confusion about whether civvy pilots (from what I've read on here) are allowed to take up cadets at AEF's. I thought the basic requirement was that you needed to be a QSP. But I'm not sure if that is entirely correct. Here is the link for a topic recently posted in the Military forum.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269386&highlight=civvy+pilots

Hope that helps

AbledFlight
14th Apr 2007, 13:09
Thanks very much indeed, can you please tell me what you mean by QSP(Sorry - Couldn't find answer)

Mike Oxmels
14th Apr 2007, 13:41
As a Qualified Service Pilot, I do not have the rules at my fingertips, but I would suggest that if your age is indeed 18, as shown on your profile, you are going to need to wait several years and build up some experience before applying. AEF pilots are normally older guys with significant experience and (less commonly) their civvy equivalents.

Search for LASORs 2007 on the CAA website and you may get a more specific current definition of QSP, but it approximates to a pilot who has earned their RAF wings and completed an Operational Conversion Unit to reach a front-line type.

J.A.F.O.
14th Apr 2007, 13:42
There has only ever been one non-QSP (Qualified Service Pilot) AEF pilot. It was tried about a dozen or so years ago and only one made it through, he's still doing it I believe.

It was something like eight billion hours with twelve million hours instrument P1, 9000000 hours instructing and eight world aerobatic championships - or something. It certainly wasn't a low hours job and the requirements are somewhat academic as it hasn't been tried again.

As far as I know.

shortstripper
14th Apr 2007, 14:12
You don't need to be a QSP to fly as an ATC instructor flying their motor gliders, but SEP is too popular with QSP's to get a look in. If you hold a suitable licence (PPL + TMG) you could be accepted. I applied a couple of years ago but withdrew at the interview after I realised I couldn't commit to as much time as they require (about three weekends a month IIRC).

SS

blue up
15th Apr 2007, 06:30
VGS (Volunteer Gliding School) will, in theory if not in practice, take you even if you have never flown before. They can train you all the way from scratch but you'll fly the Vigilant (Grob 109B) which is a motorglider.
Did it for a while but there was too much fannying about and not enough flying. After 13 months I had only had one flight.:* Some VGS are very slick operations, though.
I have 7000 hrs on heavy jets. More than the rest of the instructors put together.

PS SS. I've still not flown IT:(

shortstripper
15th Apr 2007, 07:25
Blue up .... Better hurry, I was hoping to pick your brains before test flying a friends FRED.

SS

blue up
15th Apr 2007, 18:29
If I had any brains worth picking then I wouldn't have bought it. I did a mental tot-up of the costs so far.....:O
I was at an AEF/VGS barbecue last night and they all asked if IT had flown. Becoming a bit embarrassing now.

One of the instructors said there is a strip near Margam (Swansea) that I'll have to look for. Might be a suitable venue for a first hop.

Flik Roll
16th Apr 2007, 15:54
Blue-up,

Yes there is a strip near Margam (which is nearer Port Talbot that Swansea). I have flown over it. It's in the low res bit of google maps.

Flik Roll
16th Apr 2007, 20:54
Ahh yes, that's the one - surrounded by hedges! I only found it because it had an airframe in one of the corners at the time after a mate spotted it earlier and i went and had a recce as we hadn't noticed it before.