PDA

View Full Version : Career prospect as dispatcher

pilotho
13th Apr 2007, 21:41
Hi,
I am thinking of being a flight dispatcher but what are the career prospect like? Being a graduate with an aviation degree I have a decent knowledge with regards to aviation and airport operations, would I be able to become a flight dispatcher straight away or would I still have to start from ramp agent?
The salary seems rather low even with exprience, does that remain steady or shoot up after further years with the company?

bmibabyfc
13th Apr 2007, 22:34
hi there pilotho

the salaries on the airline industry for the workers (ground staff etc) are generally low paid, however the benefits can soon make up for this that you get i.e. concessions etc

i would go for the dispatch job, however, depending on what airline/handling agent you work for will depend on whether or not you have to start off as a csa/ramp agent etc. Personally it would be better to do this as it would help you in the long run understanding your operation etc.... I know you mentioned you got a degree but you really need to work the job to understand it, its very different in real life than on paper!!!

Good luck and one other personal piece of advise, try and work for an airline rather than a handling agent, some might disagree with that, but thats just my personal choice....

evertonmad
16th Apr 2007, 06:24
My advice is get yourself a dispatch license, FAA preferebly. This wont come cheap but it will still stand to you and make you more employable. The bottom line with Ops related work, learn as much as you can from your colleagues. Most if not all Ops related courses don't allow for company policies, dealing with grumpy crew and flight duty periods. They are usually more focused on flight planning and weather theory, which is only one part of working in airline Ops. Yes entry level salaries are generally poor, but there are lots of job opportunities out there so once you have the experience you'll find you can apply for more senior positions. Most airlines, if they have sense, will promote you as you prove yourself. They'll know that good Ops staff are a precious commodity and won't want to loose you to an airline that pays a few grand more.

merlinxx
16th Apr 2007, 08:09
Can we make a distinct differential regarding the job title DISPATCHER please.

So called ramp coordinators are called DISPATCHERS in UK & Europe by some companies/operators. These are RAMP positions and bare no relemblance to Floght Operations Officers/Flight Dispatchers.

Can we all please use the following titles:

RAMP CO-ORDINATOR/RAMP DISPATCHER for those who work the arvl/dep/ramp application.

FLIGHT Operations/FLIGHT Dispatcher for those who handling all aspects of Flight Planning, WX/Notam/Operational/Flight following-watch functions.

Apologies for being a tad pedantic, but this disparity in titling has bugged me for many years:ugh:. What is now called dispatch by handlers was known as Movement Controller or Ramp Controller.

Comments SVP for both segments, but it surely needs clarification so as not to confuse those who are just starting out in our fine industry.:ok:

Thanks folks.

ManxBoi
16th Apr 2007, 09:19
When I worked for flight support on the Isle of man I used to do despatch/ramp/load control all for £1400 a year! Really hard work but worth it as you knwo exacly whats going on! i really couldn't do the job anymore, as the money got the better of me. Rubbish pay and its wasn't gonna change at all anytime! You do it for the love of the job! You cant have a second job to make up th money either due to shifts/Hours etc...

If you do go for a job in despatch/load control whatever good luck you will need it! Job really pays of though loved every minute of it. Pity th money wasn't :mad: !!!

pilotho
16th Apr 2007, 10:05
now knowing the distinction off the comment from merlinxx, how do i get into flight ops as that is what i actually want to do. Would i have to start off from ramp also?

merlinxx
16th Apr 2007, 15:36
No you don't have to start on the ramp, though that is a fun way to start & I wouldn't say never, it was fun for me back in the days when the interface with the operating was greater than now. To qualify a few points I made.

01/ Flight Dispatcher is really a - Flight-Route-Fuel Planner/In-House AIS Briefing person. Interpretation of aircraft performance, terminal & enroute hazards/poss disruptions to flight (NOTAMs/geo-plitical data), meteorological knowledge/interpretation,

The US interpretation of Flight Dispatcher is a historical term created when there was very ATC function back prior to WWII.

02/ Ramp Co-ordinator/Dispatcher is a much more hands on (dare I say Ramp Tramp) application. Very needed ramp co-ordination/awareness/H&E knowledge skills, they are both very different, but of course complimentary.

Where would we be with out the "Honey Cart" man!

For a very first step check www.cityand (http://www.cityand)guilds.com check aviation.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Out Of Trim
23rd Apr 2007, 05:08
Sorry merlinxx

I don't entirely agree with your "Flight Dispatcher" definition; In the UK ie. not an FAA type Dispatcher. The Ramp/Turnround coordinator may just be a Load sheet deliverer with some ramp services coordination thrown-in. But, equally may be also a "Load Controller" with as much knowledge and just as qualified as any Ops Bod type dispatcher that you describe.

I myself still work on the ramp at times; but, have been working in various aviation roles including ATC, Ops, Met Observer, Bird Scaring, Notam/Crew Briefing and Flight Planning, Load Control, A Triple A Appointed Person, Jetty/Jetbridge Driver with inside knowledge of literally dozens of airlines including US ones with close supervision and coordination with the US FAA dispatcher back in the USA and with some 28 years aviation experience both Military and Civil and hold all the City & Guilds qualifications and I consider myself to be a " Flight Dispatcher"

If you just work in an Airline Ops department - You're really just an Ops Controller or his/her assistant. Not necessarily a Flight Dispatcher in my book.

A Flight Dispatcher is not such a Black and White title in my opinion; hence, the obvious confusion surrounding the position in the UK. :ugh:

merlinxx
23rd Apr 2007, 17:03
Exactly why the has been a need for clarification/classification for over three decades now before I was involved in the initial formulation of what are the CoG quals.

You may have been involved with the US dispatchers regarding pre dep load/fuel applications, but it's the Flt Dispatcher who has joint responsibility along with the acft commander for the safe conduct of flight within the US legal system. He also is the person who conducts ALL the pre flight/fuel/wx/ERAs/dep & dest alts planning etc, then conducts the flight following untillshut down at dest.

Rather a different function I believe. All European flag carriers operate a similar system, check the LH, KL, AF associations. Even folks such as Jet Avtn & Net Jets operate thusly.

Appreciate your post and feelings, most all of us came up the same way, there was/is no other way in our part of Google Earth.

Cheers.

PS Apologies for a lengthy response, but I could write/have written reams on this subject.

CLOUD 09
6th May 2007, 22:52
As a trained dispatcher with 13yrs experience in the UK I have seen my authority undermined year in year out, by the airlines we handle, by interfering reps, lack of support by weak management and now by a centralised load control which employs cheap labour to maximus profits in a difficult industry which is being decimated by 'low cost' carriers.
Poorly trimed a/c, sometimes even out of trim a/c are a result of CLC, it will take a serious incident for the industry to seat up and take notice of the real problems faced by handling agents. But hey, they all like to say safety first... yeah right.:mad: