PDA

View Full Version : Airbus -v- Boeing and Flight Crews, How many?

diarmuid8
13th Apr 2007, 18:49
Hello,

I'm a student pilot and I was hoping some of you guys could answer and give some info. on these topics please.

1. Is there a real difference between the flight controls of most Airbus and Boeing aircraft. i.e. The joystick versrs the control column or, "yoke"?

2. For short haul operations the flight crew generally consists of two, Captain and First/Second Officer.
But how many are on the flight deck on for example an A330 departing EIDW to KLAX or on a 747 from EGLL to YSSY? Is there a relief crew? Or are there just two for most flights now both long and short haul?

Thanks.

Paul Wilson
13th Apr 2007, 21:55
For your first question there is a thread on just this subject on this page a few posts down.
As for your second question a flight crew would consist of a Captain and a First Officer, or a Captain, First Officer and Second Officer, or two complete crews of Captain and First Officer, or Captain, Cruise Captain, and First Officer, the permutations are endless, and depend on the airline and regulatory authority that you operate under. The Authority that you operate under will also dictate how long a single crew can operate and what in flight rest is required. It is a long and complex subject, and I would advise a search of this Forum using long haul crewing, cruise Captain and in flight crew rest as search terms. I'm not a commercial pilot and have no direct experience of these matters but believe that this will give you a start on finding out answers to your questions.
Forgive the formating posted from a mobile phone

TACHO
14th Apr 2007, 11:27
The primary difference is that you dont have to eat your dinner off your knee when using a sidestick:}

tacho