PDA

View Full Version : Does my I Mac need Anti Virus Installed

d71146
13th Apr 2007, 06:06
Hi All,

I have done a search but cannot find a remedy,my question is this- I have recently purchased a new Intel based I Mac computer, Do I as a home user who amongst the normal run of the mill uses of the machine I do most of my banking etc etc on line need an Anti Virus application installed on the machine.

The folk at the local Apple shop tell me that there is no need to have one but I do notice that they have Anti Virus programs on sale in the store.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one.

Ta.

Binoculars
13th Apr 2007, 06:27
A question a lot of people would like answered without equivocation!

When I bought my first Mac about two and a half years ago ago I asked much the same question, and the answer here was generally cautious in that nobody wanted to be irresponsible by saying there was absolutely no need for antivirus programs. But nobody bothered recommending one and my Apple stockist didn't sell any.

Furthermore, a Google search for anti virus programs for Macs came up with virtually nothing except some desperate posturing from the major av companies who warned wildly against complacency and urged me to send them a hundred bucks. I resisted the temptation.

Warnings were and still are frequent that the increasing numbers of Macs being sold means virus producers will any day now divert their attention away from Windows because it is becoming worth their while (as though there is money to be made in inventing viruses rather than programs to eliminate them). We still appear to be waiting for that day to arrive.

Greater minds than mine will update you on the current risk I am sure, but my local Apple store still doesn't sell any AV programs, I have an iMac and a MacBook and am about to buy another macBook, I've never had an AVprogram installed and until solid advice arrives to the contrary I don't intend getting any.

Of course if you are going to install Windows on your Mac for whatever reason, disregard all of the previous advice.

Good luck with your Mac!

Capt Chambo
13th Apr 2007, 07:47
I have had various Macs now for the best part of 5 years, I also know of at least half a dozen other Mac users. I have never heard of anyone getting a virus. Now that is not to say it can't happen but........
At the moment we run three Macs in the house all on pretty well all day and with no problems. (Touching wood!)
What I do ensure is that my Firewall is on. (System Preferences>Internet & Network>Sharing>Firewall).
I also spent some time and extra money when I bought my wireless router to try and get the one with most inbuilt "firewalls".
I am sure the Mac experts will be able to expand on this later on, I am just a humble user.

AppleMacster
13th Apr 2007, 08:57
d71146,

Welcome to Mac! This is my 20th year of using Macs and I've never used antivirus programs and never had an problems with viruses, spyware or malware. There have been a handful of "proof of concept" viruses which spring up from time to time, but they are usually created by those with an interest in selling antivirus software and never make it beyond the lab. In my experience, antivirus programs on the Mac cause more trouble than they are worth, looking at the damage they have wrought on other people's Macs.

Incidentally, the firewalls on all my Macs are switched off - the built-in firewall in my router is enough.

Binos: congratulations on your ever-expanding portfolio of Macs!

Applemacster

Cypherus
13th Apr 2007, 13:35
A/V on Macs to my knowledge has never been a relevant issue except too A/V vendors who as noted make ever wilder claims to entice Mac owners to purchase there products.

Why should this be the case, well making the note that most virus writters operate on a 'My Wang is bigger than Yours' basis there is little street cred in knocking up a virus to attack a Mac O/S and the inherent security of the O/S makes it not really worth the effort so they don,t, they do however make repeated forays in the proof of concept area, mostly at the behest of the A/V vendors, not going to go into that one here, as for Malware ect, again driven by money the small sector of the net using Macs is not worth the investment required to attack it with any certainty of a profit, so again they don,t.

There are a few oddities floating around that attack Mac files but the chances of comming into contact with one of these is remote, so in short, keep your firewall on and upto date and enjoy watching us lowly PC users get smacked around by these fools.

seekayess
15th Apr 2007, 18:54
Hi everyone,
I have been using the AppleMac now for the last 19 years and have been through just about every model of it as well as all the various OSs.
Yes: I have never had the problem of any virus attack ever, but then, this could just as well be due to the fact that I have ALWAYS used an A/V!
Have had my iBook now for well nigh 2 years. Have worked my way up thru the OSX to its present version 10.4.9.
BUT, I had installed a purchased Norton AV from day one: and happily continue to pay whatever I need to for the annual license. I rather be safe than sorry and the peace-of-mind is worth the cost, I feel.
Your call, in the end!
cheers

Binoculars
16th Apr 2007, 06:03
Pause for thought. There seem to be two alternatives; don't use an anti virus program and never get a virus, or pay Norton for an a/v program and never get a virus. Let me think....... :)

(sorry, don't mean to be flippant, but every experience I had with Norton in my PC days was a disaster.)

seekayess
16th Apr 2007, 09:57
Surely, Binocs, your vision must be 20/20 (or 6/6, depending on which side of the pond you are!!), but did you say Norton on a PC? I thought the subject was viv-a-vis the Apple Mac!

On the Mac, there is absolutely no confusion that the Norton A/V has ever created for me.

I do keep getting various files on pen-drives from other people -- especially PC/Windows users, and the number of times Norton AV has caught viruses is quite a few.

As I said, it is your environment, you know it best -- and, as always, it is always your call!!

cheers

:D

AppleMacster
16th Apr 2007, 11:07
seekayes,

You are very fortunate and unique in my experience to have no problems with Norton AV for Macintosh. I've seen scores of Macs rendered unusable by Norton. In 100% of those cases, the problems with the Macs were sorted by switching off and ultimately removing Norton.

Norton will indeed catch many viruses - none of which will harm your Mac. They are inert on your Mac and will cause it no harm. The one merit of Norton is that it will catch a virus and prevent you forwarding it to a PC user, whom it might hurt. However, all the viruses I receive in spam are visible as attachments, so it's simply a matter of not forwarding them on to anyone else.

Applemacster

seekayess
16th Apr 2007, 12:52
AppleMacster

I agree with you: couldn't have put it more succintly myself.

A friend of mine had had serious problems with Norton: but then, we were also able to identify that his was a copy and not the original Norton. After about an year, he installed an original, and has never looked back since then.

Having said that, it is a fact of life that the Macs are quite secure, as long as you do not introduce media on the USB ports from other computers. Which, if you are in a business where you have continuous public interface, becomes a bit chancy at times.

cheers

tallsandwich
20th Apr 2007, 20:18
Anyone here heard of the recent month of Apple Bugs (http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/) and Apple's utterly cr@p response to the security holes that were found and published? They were SO disorganised that seasoned commentators in the business stated that it put Microsoft's security patching process and systems in a very good light!!!! Apple simply failed to moblize quickly to the security related bugs that were published, starting with head-in-the-sand denial despite knowing this was coming.:D

Mac OS is based on Next which is a unix-like operating system....suspect not many people know that the first virus was born on unix...the "Worm". Look it up if you care to, from the early days of C programming.

It's just a matter of time, and when it comes, it will be a big one, as so many Mac-heads think they are immune to the threat. :ugh:

seekayess
21st Apr 2007, 05:49
Anyone here heard of the recent month of Apple Bugs

Sure, tallsandwich, all of us Mac users followed the month's exploits quite closely and avidly. The catch is: NONE OF US HAD TO DO ANYTHING THRU THE MONTH as these were all proof-of-concept bugs. I know of not even a single instance in the Apple world of a virus attack at that time.

Sure, a big one is gonna come, one of these days, as is the next tsunami or the next meteorite hit against an inhabited continent!

And yes: that is exactly why I had recommended investing in a AntiVirus: Just in Case!!

cheers

tallsandwich
21st Apr 2007, 21:43
Yup, you did not have to do anything, as at first there was just a stoney silence from Apple. "Eventually" something happened...

Binoculars
21st Apr 2007, 23:59
Oh dear, tallsandwich is back, still irritated that Mac owners are happy with their machines, even if they are all ignorant and only own Macs, according to a previous post, because they did something stupid on a PC and blamed M$ or they think they are cool.

Thus having made all ous Mac owners feel utterly foolish, ashamed and shallow, and thinking of going back to Windows, he sits and waits for the inevitable virus which will wipe out all Macs all over the world, and boy oh boy, won't he be able to say I told you so then!

Now if only it would hurry up, because he's been waiting for a long time and is getting irritated all over again. Welcome back, mate. Your whining has been missed by someone, I'm sure!

seekayess
22nd Apr 2007, 07:46
tallsandwich is back, still irritated that Mac owners

:confused:

Unless he has a serious shareholding in M$, why should tallsandwich find us simple Mac-user souls irritating?

I wonder!! ;)

Anyone know of a good therapist near his place? Too much baggage there, I think!!

Jet II
22nd Apr 2007, 09:05
Apple's utterly cr@p response to the security holes that were found and published? They were SO disorganised that seasoned commentators in the business stated that it put Microsoft's security patching process and systems in a very good light!!!!
You think?
lets examine the unpatched security flaws in OS X compared to Microsofts offerings
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/sids666/Picture3.png
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/sids666/Picture2.png
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/sids666/Picture1.png
So if you think OS X is so bad please tell us what OS you use?

seekayess
22nd Apr 2007, 09:11
And, moreover, isn't this:

seasoned commentators in the business stated that it put Microsoft's security patching process and systems in a very good light!!!!

that same famous old scam of print-and-have-no-responsibility syndrome that the M$ers have suffered from for a while now? :ugh:

tallsandwich
23rd Apr 2007, 07:52
Which OS I use? Windoze of course, with some HPUX, Solaris and other Unix flavors thown in too. Oh an the odd mainframe system too. I have coded applications on all of them, and supported those applications, and upgraded them as the OS changed. Looked after the hardware too. So you can imagine I am reasonably well balanced in my IT opinions. I even considered switching to Mac (more than once), and I could tell you why I didn't if you were interested. Never have I seen such a collection of sad people as Mac lovers. Irritated? Sometimes, but mainly highly amused.
There is "being happy with thier OS" and then there is the other extreme, which is "my OS can do no evil". It's funny, as soon as anyone bad-mouths Mac, the defence is usually based on how bad Windows is (see above) not on the Mac thing itself; Mac-heads all close ranks, thus futher blinding themselves to reality. Linux folks do this too to an extent but generally Mac-heads are more socially capable and seem to care that others think they are great (hence the focus on Apple product sytle and image).
I don't need to wait for an Apple virus - seeing Mac-head trying to be compatible with the rest of the world is amusing enough for me. Oh, and watching them pay for Itunes music they can't share :D
No - I do NOT have an iPod, I have a Zen music player, for all the reasons you can imagine :}
Happy buffing guys, when you stop being superioir and can integrate seemlessly to other OS platforms, I'll probably join your ranks. Until then I'll stick with the platform which offers more choice. :D

tallsandwich
23rd Apr 2007, 09:55
By "platform which offers more choice", I obviously mean "more choice of viruses" too.

XXXX
tallsandwich.

seekayess
23rd Apr 2007, 17:31
It has eternally been very difficult indeed to tell a blind man the serenity that moonlight has!!

You see, TsW, whilst not necessarily all, but most Mac users have used the 'Doze, sometime or the other, and we KNOW, first hand, what it is all about!!

You must stay with 'doze: that is your fate and that is where you are!! :ugh:

tallsandwich
23rd Apr 2007, 17:46
Thanks for offering to "show me the light". And I really don't mean that to sound like you are knocking on my door asking me to become a christian. You have been too patient, I can feel that "baggage" getting lighter as we speak.

As soon as I can buy a Macbook that does not look like a Socket Set box and I can use it to work seamlessly with the rest of the world's existing applications and existing proprietry formats, I will certainly join your ranks. And thanks to your advice, I cetainly won't be using Norton at that time :ok:

Jet II
23rd Apr 2007, 18:16
Oh, and watching them pay for Itunes music they can't share
Well I dont pay for Itunes but I can still share all my music with anyone - theres no shortage of conversion software out there.
As soon as I can buy a Macbook that does not look like a Socket Set box and I can use it to work seamlessly with the rest of the world's existing applications and existing proprietry formats, I will certainly join your ranks.
Well looks are a personal preference (my black MacBook looks almost identical to any other black laptop) but as for working with the rest of the worlds applications my MacBook works superbly - even Windoze sems to crash less on it :ok:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/sids666/Picture2.jpg

seekayess
23rd Apr 2007, 18:52
rest of the worlds applications my MacBook works superbly

You just beat me to it, Jet II!

TsW, seriously, though, the present day Mac (and you do not need to wait for the release of OS 10.5 for that) not only works seamlessly with the 'doze environment, it offers you your own 'doze, if, after you switch over to the Mac, you still feel you must stay with your, er, ahem, antideluvian concepts!! :}

Mac the Knife
23rd Apr 2007, 19:45
"...and I can use it to work seamlessly with the rest of the world's existing applications and existing proprietry formats..."

Well, you can blame the beloved Microsoft for that. They have done their utmost to impose their own proprietary formats on the rest of the world and corrupt existing open formats like Java and HTML.

Even now they are seeking to block the upcoming Open Document Format which would allow seamless interoperability.

:*

Mac