PDA

View Full Version : Buying a handheld GPS

Genghis the Engineer
12th Apr 2007, 16:25
Okay, here's the scenario...

As I'm sure is fairly well known, I work in aviation and amongst other things I do research into the various tools that get used in GA. Apart from that, I do a lot of light and microlight aeroplane flying.

I've just spotted £1k or so spare in a budget, and this happens to co-incide with my elderly but familiar Magellan handheld finally dying on me.

So, the obvious thing to do is use the money to replace the dead GPS (particularly as I want to do some work on use of GPS in single pilot cockpits this summer anyway).

The question is - what do I buy. The smaller the better, and some ability to use it as a non-aviation GPS would be good. The ability to either in realtime, or afterwards output data to my laptop would be great, and obviously the ability to use it to navigate my way around the world is fairly essential, preferably without needing to understand too much (I'm paid to understand flying machines, not electronics)!

So - what should I get? My current thinking is the Garmin 296 - but is the colour worth the extra money over the 196 (or is there good reason to dig into my budget a bit deeper and justify a 496?). Or is a Palm based solution better these days? For that matter, should I save the cash and just go for a G96 - or are there real benefits to the 296?

Or is there something much better out there that I've not spotted? The Lowrance for example, which is in the catalogues, but I can't see much about?

Would any regular users care to offer their opinions?

G

chrisN
12th Apr 2007, 16:41
How about a second hand Garmin 89 - cheap and still works!

Even better, link it to a PCEFIS wiich is also surplus to my requirements - but needs an iPAQ or similar to display. Can demostrate if you are interested.

Let me know if interested. Chris.

soay
12th Apr 2007, 16:52
I can recommend the 296. As presbyopia sets in, I find colour displays much more legible than monochrome ones, and most of the extra functionality of the 496 that I need has been catered for by downloads from here (http://www.pipercub.flyer.co.uk/id45.htm). I've got the optional auto kit as well, which is really nice when you're sightseeing from the air, because you can identify every little village you pass over, and zoom in to street level if you want to.

You can use Garmin's MapSource program on your PC to load and save routes, waypoints and flight logs, and Garmin have a free SDK, if you want to program the device yourself.

There must be better user interfaces around, but it's logically consistent, once you get the hang of it (which will come easily if you're familiar with the GNS430/530).

wobble2plank
12th Apr 2007, 17:37
If its for a 'non-primary' purpose then have a look at any PDA with a bluetooth facility, a bluetooth GPS bug and the software from 'www.pocketfms.com' which is free to download and use and is IMHO excellent!

Full trip recording, aircraft performance, airspace warning, DAFIF navigation cycle AIDs updates, weather download, route planning with automatic terrain and airspace avoidance, hide/show capable airfields, radio frequencies, NOTAMS, next airspace contact freqs, TOC/TOD arrows, auto VFR approach planning and a worldwide database of obstacles plus a stack of other things including the ability to overlay your own approach plate scans onto the moving map!

(Have used it from the front of an Airbus and works brilliantly)
This enables you to have a full PDA, Car nav system (Tomtom) and an entertainment system all in one. This combo saved my bacon a couple of times in America :ooh:
Cheers
W2P

Genghis the Engineer
12th Apr 2007, 17:45
How about a second hand Garmin 89 - cheap and still works!
Even better, link it to a PCEFIS wiich is also surplus to my requirements - but needs an iPAQ or similar to display. Can demostrate if you are interested.
Let me know if interested. Chris.

Thanks for the offer - but the nature of "budgets" is that you tend to be constrained to buying stuff from a known trader (we've accounts with Mendelsson and Transair, so it would suit me to stick with them). Plus, it helps when I write reports about what I've done with the kit if it is all current.

G

Rod1
12th Apr 2007, 18:23
The 196 is a good bit of kit and very good value. I have no trouble reading mine, even in strong sunlight. If you want the most advanced s/w with every possible B & W go for the Pocket Flymap. It is about £800 ish ready to go and will download and display notams on a representation of a proper chart, allow full flight planning and a log.

3W’s.flymap.co.uk/

Rod1

Genghis the Engineer
12th Apr 2007, 18:55
Has anybody actually used the pocket Flymap? On paper it does look rather good - particularly with the ability to buy Pooleys for it as well - but I'm not sure I've ever seen one up close?

For example, how does it interpret airspace data, compared to (say) the G296? Are the charts as readily updatable?

Sorry to ask daft questions - but this technology stuff bewilders me!

G

Rod1
12th Apr 2007, 19:18
I am considering buying the Pocket Flymap – one day. The maps are very easy to update. If you visit the website there are examples of all the features including a good one on airspace warning. The WiFi links will allow you to update notams and weather in most hotels and some flying clubs. Have a good dig around on the site I posted and you will find out most of what you need. PS if you get one can I have a go.:}

Rod1

Zulu Alpha
12th Apr 2007, 19:33
I have a 196 and it is very good with excellent visibility in strong sunlight and very good battery life. 4x AAs last 12-14 hrs and are easy to replace (don't need to remember to recharge)
I don't miss the colour screen as I really just use it to navigate with (ie not for airspace restiction warnings etc.. I use the chart as well.
It is a lot cheaper than the colour ones. Also Garmin include all the mounts and leads etc so apart from a case you don't need anything.
I don't find the car driving mode very user friendly though, but I bought it for flying rather than driving

I did have some problem with the first unit I was sent, but Harry M replaced it and the new one seems OK.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Apr 2007, 20:26
I am considering buying the Pocket Flymap – one day. The maps are very easy to update. If you visit the website there are examples of all the features including a good one on airspace warning. The WiFi links will allow you to update notams and weather in most hotels and some flying clubs. Have a good dig around on the site I posted and you will find out most of what you need. PS if you get one can I have a go.

Rod1

Mais certainement !

G :ok:

IO540
12th Apr 2007, 20:57
Well everybody will recommend their favourite GPS - because they are used to it and it works for them.

I fly behind an IFR panel and use it on every pre-planned flight. I also have a Garmin 496 which was chosen for its "EGPWS" feature with spoken warnings of terrain conflict which can be wired to the aircraft intercom.

It's a nice unit but within a 1k budget I would probably choose the 296.

For use as one's primary GPS, I don't like the form factor of any of these Garmins, much preferring the leg-strap format of say the Avmap EKP IV, but this choice comes down to personal preference.

I suggest, GtE, that you have a play with the Avmap and the 296 and choose. Both are very good but in different ways.

BackPacker
12th Apr 2007, 21:42
I've been flying so far with the simplest of the simplest Garmin eTrex (the yellow one - currently advertised at 130 euros or less). At home I've got a laptop with OziExplorer, into which I scanned & calibrated my aeronautical maps. I prepare the VFR route like I always do, on paper, then plot the waypoints in OziExplorer and send everything to the eTrex via a serial line.

In-flight nav is done on the map, with the Garmin as backup. When flying a rally or something, where accurate flying (+/- 1 nm off track at most) is key, the Garmin is the primary means of navigating, with the Mk 1 eyeball on the map & ground to back it up.

But I've been transitioning to the DA-40 of our club which has dual Garmin 430s and that works lovely too. Plus, the DA-40 doesn't have a flat window or other flat surface where my suction cup (for the eTrex) will stick, and the 12V cigarette lighter socket is officially only certified for ground use... :-(

Either end of the scale works well, as long as you know the limitations of the device you're using, the currency of the nav data that's in them, and you know how to work the unit to the fullest extent possible. Main disadvantage to the 430s I find is that you cannot take them home to play with them or input your route beforehand. (Even if they were portable, I don't think the club would like it...)

dublinpilot
12th Apr 2007, 21:49
Well everybody will recommend their favourite GPS - because they are used to it and it works for them.

That is very true ;)

And now I'm going to do that same ;)

Another vote for www.PocketFMS.com

Just to correct w2p slightly, PocketFMS is no longer free. There is a 30 day free trial, but then a subscription is required.

But the subscription includes the software, 1 year of updates to both software and databases, and weather updates (Metars, Taf's, wind forecasts, cloud base forecasts, significant weather forecasts, rainfall radar).

It also includes world wide maps, and databases. Most GPS's are limited to a particular area, or even in some cases country.

It is very much a planning tool, as well as gps.

For example, how does it interpret airspace data, compared to (say) the G296? Are the charts as readily updatable?

I am considering buying the Pocket Flymap – one day. The maps are very easy to update.

I don't think that's quite fair. As I understand it, the map in Flymap are basically digital copies (scans) of the Jeppesen GPS VFR charts (or if you pay additional, the CAA maps for the UK). While they may be simple to update, they are obviously only updateable when the charts are updated. ie once per year.

On the other hand PocketFMS maps and AeroData are updated constantly. PocketFMS maps, being vector maps, not raster maps, means that you can adjust them, and show only the details you want to see. Flymap maps being raster means you see all data at once, no matter what you want to see.

If you have a PDA, you really should give PocketFMS a go.

If you don't have a PDA, you can still give the flight planning side a go with the pc version. A fully functional 30 trial of the PC version is available on the website.

dp

http://www.pocketfms.com

bigfoot01
13th Apr 2007, 08:12
I recommend these with Memory Map 5. It gives you the ability to input course deviation, rather like a VOR setup. The rudamentary map is useful also and it also gives the bearing pointer. There are very configurable information screens, I find very useful also. The x bit on the Garmin means it has the new sensitive Sirf Star III technology. I prefer the 60 out of the 2, but they both essentially do the same job.

Jodelman
13th Apr 2007, 12:41
I would suggest caution before going down the PDA route. I have a Dell Axim running PocketFMS and the screen is unreadable in the Jodel in bright (not neccessarily sunny) conditions.

Best to try your PDA in your favourite aircraft before spending money on software.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2007, 15:08
Well, I've made a decision - thanks very much for the input. Pocket flymap it is - not just for the GPS functionality (I suspect that the G296 may be very slightly better), but for the inclusion of a digital Pooleys, voice recording facility, and the sheer size of it. I'll let you chaps know what I make of it once I've had a play.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

G

IO540
13th Apr 2007, 17:41
While they may be simple to update, they are obviously only updateable when the charts are updated. ie once per year

That is true for the CAA charts (the recent mid-summer update excepted) and it may well be true for the printed Jepp "VFR/GPS" charts we see in pilot shops, but Jepp also supply their VFR charts on a CD (called the "raster charts" product) for use in Flitestar and this CD is re-dated at least a few times a year, AFAIK.

Whether Jepp actually incorporate any changes in these updates I don't know; informal feedback I've had is that they are very slow in doing this (years behind, on occassions). Yet, the Jepp charts are the only unified charts you can get for the rest of Europe. But potentially they might.

Since Flymap obviously license these charts from their producers, I am sure they get the Jepp charts in digital form and don't scan them in.

stuartforrest
13th Apr 2007, 20:15
Have another think Ghengis. I have pocketfms on a Fujitsu Pocket Loox with the vga (high res) screen. It is the daddy of Pocket PC's with a built in GPS and frankly I really dont like it in the cockpit. In fact it was a waste of money buying the PPC for this use.
I also have pocketfms running on my fujitsu siemens Lifebook 1610 tablet pc with sunlight readable touchscreen and that is simply awesome. You need a seperate bluetooth or connected GPS but they cost buttons. A bluetooth solar powered one would be best to leave in the plane if you can.
Its a huge screen and the device is easily strapped to your leg. If you want any info just PM me.
I am also the happy owner of a 296 having upgraded that from a 196 so I know the differences and I can safely say that the 296 is awesome and much better that PFMS on a PPC. Now on the Lifebook its a different story and running Pocket FMS (after learning how to use it properly) it is great.
Another favourite that I use is Memory Map on either my PDA (the loox) which on that screen is much better than PFMS or on my lifebook where the shear size of the screen is to behold.
The lifeboox only has a 9 inch diaganol screen so the device is fairly small (size of a book) but the resolution is so high it is amazing.
For planning spin it around and you have a keyboard to enter date. In the cockpit spin the screen around and it is a very large small touch screen pc. I have replaced my laptop with this device and have not looked back. It wieghs a whopping 2 pounds and with the extended battery last for several hours (about 5) without plugging in. I also have a plane charger for it.
Also I downloaded all the approach plates from AIS and have them stored. A plate will display just fine on the screen whcih flips from landscape like a normal laptop to portrait in the blick of an eye when you rotate the screen.
I paid £1300 inc vat for mine so it is a little more than your budget.
Pocket Flymap also looks good but I have not tried it because it is a little expensive for the software in my opinion.

n5296s
13th Apr 2007, 21:51
I just bought the small Lowrance (about $500 here in the US from Sportys). It's a very nice unit. It's self contained, apart from an optional external antenna - no battery boxes or anything, and it comes with all kinds of yoke clips, suction pads etc at no extra cost. It's pretty intuitive to use once you've got the hang of the general structure of the user interface.

It is strictly an aviation unit - no useful driving/walking functions. That put me off for a while until I realised I could ALSO buy a TomTom One for way less than the cost of a dual-purpose GPS that in addition was not as good to use in the plane. So now I have a dedicated aviation handheld AND a dedicated car unit that lives in the car, and I don't have to remember to move a single unit around from one place to another.

btw my plane has a Garmin 530 and 430, so the Lowrance is strictly a backup.

n5296s

jakerr
17th Apr 2007, 21:04
I've got a Garmin 196, you can pick them up brand new for just over £400 in the UK or around £280-£300 in the USA.

I find it very easy to read and use. I'm sure the colour would be a nice touch it all depends if its worth the extra outlay. Depends on how much flying you do per year I guess. If your only going to be doing a couple of hours a month its probably not worth the extra.

JK

tiggermoth
17th Apr 2007, 23:14
£400 in the UK or around £280-£300 in the USA.

If you get one from the USA will it have the right database (and any other stuff) to make it operate correctly in the UK?

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2007, 15:31
Well, as intended, I've ordered and just acquired a shiny new Pocket Flymap. There are clearly things I've not got the hang of yet (such as linking it up to the PC and uploading my routes), but I've done some flying with it, and thought it might be worth sharing my impressions:

- It's very small, but virtually all screen. The resolution and screen quality are excellent, and the touch screen okay (a little difficult to use accurately in a moving, vibrating aeroplane - but not impossible).

- Satellite acquisition was rapid, and indications stable. So far as I could tell, indications were (as you'd hope from GPS) very accurate indeed.

- The screen is very visible: I was in a fairly bright cockpit and could always read it IF it was pointed straight at me. So, realistically, strapping it to my leg didn't work fantastically, particularly since I was using my feet quite a lot. So, I think that panel mounting is almost certainly the way ahead - if only with Velcro (it's very light)

- Power consumption seems to be around 30% of full charge per hour

- I liked the use of vectors - the choice of a 5 or ten minutes ahead line was great for planning, particularly at one point when flying into the sun and trying to tweak my positioning into an airfield.

- Controlled airspace ahead is outlined in red, very clear, no irritating messages I have to acknowledge as on some other GPS units.

- If it loses GPS signal, the big clear message in the centre of the screen is very obvious.

- The landscape data is good, but doesn't include elevated obstructions. For example, I took the aircraft a few hundred feet over a 900ft mast which has been there for years, then slightly below mast height a short distance away - not a peep. So, clearly don't rely upon it for this sort of separation. (Please note that my flying discipline in this paragraph is entirely hypothetical)

- I like the "Height over terrain" display, very useful for (a) checking I'm in compliance with Rule 5, (b) checking if I've probably got QFE or QNH set, and (c) setting up an approach into a non-radio airfield if I didn't have QFE.

- Sorry chaps, a MATZ IS NOT class D airspace, this device clearly thinks that it is.

- The power plug is a pain, it doesn't stay in very well, resulting in a less than perfect charging performance when sat on the passenger seat of my car and plugged into the cigar lighter socket. On the other hand, full marks for providing chargers for 2-pin mains, 3-pin mains and 12V car.

- The paper manual is rather limited, I need to read the one on the CD to see if it's any better.

- The Jeppesen charts pre-loaded were last years (I use Jeppesen 1:500,000 charts anyway from personal preference, . I appear to need to log in and update. This could lead one astray, and I'm not yet sure how easy (or free/cheap) chart updates are.

So far, I'm happy that it was a worthwhile buy, but I need to learn my way around the PC software, find a better way of mounting it, and take care with obstructions it won't warn me about!

G

tangovictor
17th May 2007, 17:23
Thanks G for your update, please keep us all informed as you learn more, I had almost made up my mind to go Garmin 296/ 496 now I will re evaluate
tv

tiggermoth
17th May 2007, 21:10
Thanks Genghis for the report, interesting reading. Sounds good! If you fiind anything else that you discover in using the unit, then please let us know.

FullyFlapped
22nd May 2007, 18:09
I've used Memory Map for VFR in the UK for a long time now : I've never had a problem with it, and my hardware (Ipaq 4700 and a bluetooth GPS) provides a fantastic quality display and runs for around 8-9 hours even when back-lit (extended life battery).

But ... every new CAA chart update costs £50. Not the end of the world, but this solution only provides a moving-map display, with no other features - which is OK by me, I have plenty of other gizmos to provide GPS guidance etc.

Having now looked at the Pocket FlyMap stuff, I don't think I'd buy Memory Map if I was setting up again. Leaving the hardware aside, full UK software for MM would cost around £210, whereas £300 would buy the FlyMap stuff with Jepp charts for the UK, and an extra £70 would stick the CAA ones on if you wish : and the guys at FlyMap tell me that future updates would come at the same price (i.e. £70 for all 3 CAA maps, as opposed to £150 from MM). And of course, you then have all the "Aviation GPS" features of FlyMap.

The only downside I can see is that whereas you can run the Memory Map software on a PC (inc. tablet forms in the cockpit), you can't do likewise with FlyMap, although they tell me they might do a PC version at some point.

FF :ok:

stuartforrest
22nd May 2007, 19:15
Yes the only reason I have not bought Flymap is the fact that it wont run on my tablet PC. If they added that to the line up I would buy it at the drop of a hat.

I have all of Europe maps in Memory Map now and it is so useful and easy to use. I do use it in conjunction with another planning tool though. I sometimes export the routes from my Garmin 296 which is great and very easy to do.

FullyFlapped
22nd May 2007, 21:08
Stuart,

You have a PM.

FF :ok:

stuartforrest
22nd May 2007, 23:05
I Noticed :)

Dark Helmet
23rd May 2007, 09:03
Stuart or FullyFlapped,

Have you seen or tried the new Memory Map GPS 'Personal Navigation Device'?

I have Memory Map software on my PC and load the routes into my Garmin 76 but was thinking of getting the new PND.

stuartforrest
23rd May 2007, 09:11
No sorry I hadn't heard of that one.

ILOC
10th Jun 2007, 22:55
I just spoke to Flymap at AeroExpo and moaned at them about the lack of Tablet PC support. Although there was a lot of muttering about sunlight readable screens and vibration and altitude damaging hard drives there main gripe seemed to be they were worried about piracy issues! What a pathetic excuse.

I also overheard an interesting conversation between two of their staff about the fact that the CAA had just told them they were going to provide their chart data a lot more cheaply in the future. This should bode well for Memory Map users as I'd be surprised if they didn't then do this for them as well.

stuartforrest
11th Jun 2007, 07:25
I desperately wanted to go to AeroExpo to ask this very questions but a childs birthday on Saturday and a christening on Sunday meant I missed it this year.

That is a lot of tosh because piracy is just as easy on a PPC. In fact I bet it is easier.

They will get my money if they come out with a tablet pc version!

The CAA electronic maps price is a rip off currently but it is going to be more common in the future on electronic devices I guess. I love memory map with them on, that's for sure.

ILOC
11th Jun 2007, 21:48
Flymap's argument was that software on a PPC can be tied to the Device ID and even serial no. But you just need to scout around on any P2P network to see that this hasn't exactly stopped people copying other software. Plus you can get devices called dongles that plug into the parallel or usb ports of PCs that are in fact incredibly secure - this is how a lot of expensive software is protected and it is a cheap solution so there really is no excuse.

Yeah, the CAA have been charging a lot for their data so it's great news that they are apparently 'dramatically cutting the cost' to Flymap. Fingers crossed that it also applies to Memory Map and that both companies pass on the saving.

Until they see the light and come out with a Tablet PC version my money is staying firmly in my pocket...

GreenMamba
17th Jul 2007, 16:45
I wonder if the 5" HTC Advantage might bridge the gap between the little 3" screens of most PDAs and the large and rather expensive option of a tablet PC? Im sure you're right that an 8" screen is fantastic, but in a microlight cockpit I just don't have that much real eastate, even on my leg (I'd never be able to bank left). And the Advantage has built in GPS, 3G broadband for in-air weather updates and a passive touch screen for when you've dropped the stylus under the rudder pedal....

slim_slag
17th Jul 2007, 17:22
Well I still use my garmin GPS 12XL handheld which comes with a 50x30mm monochrome screen and it's still the same marvellous piece of kit as it was when released back in '98 (I think).

Would tell you all to run out and buy one but they don't make them anymore. However just had a quick look on ebay and there is one currently going for a fiver. Might get one as a backup or a birthday prezzie for the mrs. Should really keep that quiet as you will all go out now and bid up the price.

Tells me where I am to the nearest 20ft and that's good enough for me. Have used it in some rather busy airspace as well as places hundreds of miles from the nearest VOR and it hasn't got me arrested or killed yet.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41F59QDQBAL._AA280_.jpg

Sexy little number, eh?

RudeNot2
17th Jul 2007, 18:21
I am still in the process of studying etc for the PPL and already have memory map for my PDA and a bluetooth GPS unit. If a route is planned on MM and then you (attempt to) fly it, is there an option to view the flown route afterwards to evaluate how accurate you were??

IO540
18th Jul 2007, 05:27
Yes, MM will plot your track on the map, and retain this through power-down.

You have to delete these track overlays eventually otherwise the map gets covered in them :)

I don't recall the detailed config but look under Overlays and making them visible. It's a great feature.

RudeNot2
18th Jul 2007, 12:07
Thanks for that IO540..

At the risk of detracting from the subject of airborne GPS, how accurate are GPS receivers for speed? The reason I ask is that this morning on the way to work I locked the cruise control on at a shade under 70mph (A9 dual carriageway before folk pipe up!) and passed a fixed gatso that I have passed hundreds of times at similar speed and the xxxxer went off!!

Pulled over and hooked up my Ipaq, fired up TomTom and set off again. With the cruise re-engaged my speed was showing as a steady 65mph.

RudeNot2

tangovictor
18th Jul 2007, 13:45
I wouldn't think your instructor would be happy using a gps for your cross country exercises, the idea is, you navigate using a chart

RudeNot2
18th Jul 2007, 14:40
No indication was given that myself or others were going to use GPS during training as a method of navigation.

My interest goes as far as having the GPS / PDA combo running but in a bag or out of sight so that I may compare planned route to that actually taken after the flight.