PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Wireless Router and the Squeezebox Problem

4Foxtrot
12th Apr 2007, 12:16
I confronted my nerd-dom last night by trying to get my Linksys ADSL wireless router to work through my cable-provided broadband. And failed.

As there is no ethernet port for the external broadband (it's a horribly old fashioned squarish phone port) I thought about just plugging the ethernet cable from the cable-provided modem directly into one of the 4 ethernet ports and trying to frig with the routing. Success! I can access the internet. However I can no longer log into the router on 192.168.1.1 using my PC as the ISP automatically re-IPs the machine as 82.67.blah.blah.

Enter wireless laptop, which can access the router config screen on 192.168.1.1, but now can no longer access the internet! Humbug! The laptop has however, successfully been re-IP'd by the router as 192.168.1.100 (an arbitrary starting point for my wireless devices).

To complicate things, my Squeezebox (http://www.slimdevices.com/) (wireless streaming audio device, similar to Apple's Airport Extreme, but about an order of magnitude cooler) can see my cunningly labelled wireless SSID, but cannot access my PC which has all of my muzak. Even by specifying the IP assigned to it by the ISP, el-stupido router still won't pick it up.

I have seen a couple of sites that tell you how to configure your ADSL router to handle cable broadband, but I is thick and get confused very quickly. Any tips before I break out my Mk-1 hammer?

Should have bought a bl**dy mac, mumble, mumble, gripe, moan...

Cypherus
12th Apr 2007, 14:10
Dunno if you would want too spend all your hard cash on a MAC when you can simply emulate one on your PC, and have a shed load of fun while your at it running all those Oh so Kewl Apple proggies and not paying a penny for em.:p

As to the Linksys, makes me wonder if you have the right one there, as you do not actually say which model, and yes there are two types. :ok:

Linksys make a perfectly aceptable Wireless-G 'CABLE GATEWAY' model # WCG200,

Does not have a Phone connection but uses the original COAXIAL cable connection provided by your cable company, plus four ethernet connections for hardwiring, and an additional USB connection, plus the usual wireless functions.

Once connected, and 'Turned ON' following the right sequence you will need to provide your MAC address for the modem 'Printed on a Bar code label on the underside' and they will then be able to activate your cable provision for that modem, you may be lucky and find that the origial MAC address setup for the original modem works just fine but call em anyway with the new one or you might find yourself slightly cut off at some future time.

If you are trying too use a non-cable wireless modem router then it is not working correctly other than as a switch and never will no matter what combination of cable connections or hammer blows you apply to it. :8

Keef
13th Apr 2007, 01:26
If your cable modem has a LAN-type output on it, then you can connect that to a router (NOT a modem-router) and a wireless access point to that, and you have the makings of a system.

You will have to do some shuffling of IP addresses - if the cable modem is 192.168.0.1, then the router will need to be 192.168.1.1 or whatever.

That's how my system was for a long time, till I lashed out on an all-in-one device. I think it was better the old way.

Bushfiva
13th Apr 2007, 07:59
4F,

Just a very, very quick sanity check since you said your ISP has automagically assigned your computer an IP address yet wireless can see the DHCP.

You also said you plugged the cable from the modem into "one" of the router's ethernet ports. Maybe you should check that it's plugged into port 1. And since you mentioned the "Linksys" word, check if there's another port set off to one side, with "internet" printed on it. Plug the modem into that one instead :}

4Foxtrot
13th Apr 2007, 11:02
Thanks for the gen everyone.

The reason why I haven't connected the ethernet cable from my cable-provided modem is that the port marked 'Interweb' on the router isn't ethernet (RJ-45), it's RJ-11.

I may end up going for the WCG200 or WRT54GC as they are compatible with cable, which means my ADSL router will appear on Ebay pretty soon.

Cheers,

Fox 4 (mmmm, pork pies)

Cypherus
13th Apr 2007, 11:15
Love em :ok:

Bushfiva
13th Apr 2007, 15:14
Oh 4F, you tease. All the info was in the first line of your first post and it just went whoosh over my head. Yes, indeed, "you can't get there from here"... I'm on my fifth Linksys, incidentally. They've all die in mysterious ways. Why do I still buy them? I put it down to stupidity.