PDA

View Full Version : S-76C++ Certified for Falling/Blowing Snow Ops

Brian Abraham
11th Apr 2007, 23:17
From AVIATION WEEK's Business Aviation Bulletin.

The FAA has certified the Sikorsky S-76C++ helicopter for operation in falling and blowing snow.

The FAA test requires that the aircraft spend 20 minutes on the ground with the rotor turning during blustery snowfall, five minutes in low altitude hover in a recirculating snow cloud and one hour of level flight. A flight test team from Sikorsky's West Palm Beach, Fla. and Stratford, Conn. facilities conducted tests in January in Marquette, Mich. to collect data supporting the certification.

"The S-76 helicopter team significantly exceeded the FAA test requirements and demonstrated that the barrier filter design can operate safely in severe snow conditions," said Eric Hansen, S-76 Program manager. "The S-76 C++ has been performing well for our customers and this new expansion of the aircraft's envelope means it has even greater capabilities."

The S-76 line of multi-mission medium helicopters serves a variety of roles including offshore oil, executive transport, and airlines.

The S-76C++ helicopter currently in production was first announced in February 2005 as a series of enhancements to the aircraft including engine, air vehicle, interior and avionics upgrades. Among the product improvements on that model were a more powerful Turbomeca Arriel 2S2 Engine, an inlet barrier filter to protect the engine against erosion and environmental contaminants, a new VIP interior, new optional Health and Usage Monitoring System and a quiet main gearbox technology that significantly reduces interior noise levels without weight or maintenance penalties.

Aesir
12th Apr 2007, 09:11
Huhh..:confused: One would think that if an aircraft is IFR certified then it could fly when itīs snowing regardless! There is not always necessarily icing when itīs snowing.

Is this article not about certification of the air filter installed in the S-76C++ or something other. Seems strange to me.

Hilife
12th Apr 2007, 12:24
As you well know Aesir, there are a multitude of metrological conditions that would warrant IFR operations and falling snow is just one of them.

As snow is the formation of moisture droplets into ice crystals - these being a solid and therefore likely to block an inlet filter, then the ability to continue operating safely in conditions that would otherwise lead to reduced safety margins must surly be of benefit to us all in the aviation industry.

If these guys certified the S-76 for ‘CAT A’ OPS to the moon I suspect you would find something to grumble about.

Aesir
12th Apr 2007, 12:48
Uhh.. weird reply Hilife but thanks for your input.

Maybe I didnīt make my point clear enough but I was not crumbling! Iīm merely saying that to me it seem that this article seems to me to be about else than S76C++ certification to fly in snow!

But I have never flown S76 so Iīm asking is the helicopter not allowed to fly in snow period! Even though it is IFR certified?

HOSS 1
12th Apr 2007, 13:26
Although IFR certified, it WAS not certified to fly in the snow, because the testing hadn't been performed, demonstrating the safe ability to do so.

I guess I miss your point. There are loads of aircraft that are IFR certified yet are not allowed to operate in icing. A conditional or environmental restriction is nothing new.

Hats off to the test crew. Looked like it was a COLD test.:ok:

Brian Abraham
12th Apr 2007, 13:38
The 76A/A+/C models have a snow protection kit available as a add on option. You can fly without it IFR - just not in snow. Its to stop snow accumulating around the engine inlet area - a slug of snow breaking loose without the kit can have the unfortunate result of putting the fire out. Know of it happening to a 206 with fatal results. Also has a mod so you can select continuous ignition. What was involved with the 76C++ certification I have no idea.

407 too
12th Apr 2007, 15:23
Hilife - flight in snow does not require IFR operations,

Hoss - nor is it always icing conditions.

Aesir is probably right in his assumptions

NickLappos
12th Apr 2007, 18:46
Aesir,
Your confusion is that you somehow think snow and IFR are tied together. They are not, by either regulation or custom, any more that icing and IFR are tied together.

The snow approval is part of the continuing effort to increase operational suitability, a thing all manufacturers do. The use of an engine barrier filter is something the FAA wanted some extra testing to prove its worth, and that is what the Sikorsky team did a few months back (I had dinner with them when they came thru Savannah on their way to the Cold country.) There is not a "hidden agenda" here. I think.

donut king
12th Apr 2007, 20:14
Yo Nick!
So how does the C++ protect itself for flight in blowing/ falling snow?
Is it like the A series..........anti-ice and snow blanket combo or something new and exotic???
DK
BTW. Anyone able to provide an update on the D model and its goings on??

NickLappos
12th Apr 2007, 21:08
donut,

The inlet has no problem with snow, it has no natural traps, but until you show the FAA that fact, no approval.

This was actually the second snow test, it passed the first handily at the normal "warmer" sticky-snow temps, but the FAA speculated that dusty snow in ultra-cold temps might be a problem, so they asked for the second test (just successfully passed).

Jayrow Pilot
13th Apr 2007, 05:49
The C++ aircraft was certified with the now standard installation of the FDC Aerofilter which is a barrier filter in the engine inlet area. This removes the risk of a slug of wet snow being sucked into the inlet. Its more effective than the old EAPS system.