PDA

View Full Version : Windows validation test

tubby linton
10th Apr 2007, 23:05
I bought a brand new copy of xp pro on ebay,but it fails the microsoft validation test.Would anybody be able to help.I have contacted MS but am still awaiting a reply.

Keef
11th Apr 2007, 00:20
Sounds like you bought an illegal copy. If the seller is still about, ask for a refund!

Byraer
11th Apr 2007, 02:12
Agree, or possibily one that the source has been released into the public domain by hackers... contact the seller if possible, if you can't, then get Microsoft after them, even if you don't get your money back, you are helping to cut down on a growing form of internet crime!

jetcollie
11th Apr 2007, 02:27
If the seller refuses to repay you and you paid by Paypal then go through the Paypal dispute resolution procedure and you should get your cash back fairly quickly. - accessible through your Paypal account page.

PPRuNe Pop
11th Apr 2007, 05:19
In my opinion it is about time ebay did something about this trafficking. They have to accept responsibility. I have been caught twice.

frostbite
11th Apr 2007, 11:43
Just a thought. I recently upgraded a machine from W98 to W98SE and the validation failed.

Despite the fact that I fdisked before the installation, it turned out (after much swearing and head banging) that what was wanted was the ORIGINAL validation code for W98 and not that supplied with W98SE !

Worth trying?

green granite
11th Apr 2007, 13:51
My copy of XP fails the normal validation test but only sometimes,(despite being genuine) there is an alternative test downloadable from Microsoft but you have to dig about to find it, it has something to do with the active X component that causes it to fail

It also fails if the DATE/TIME is set incorrectly

vapilot2004
12th Apr 2007, 17:10
Have a look at this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932300/en-uk) for validation issues, their causes and resolution.

This bit may be helpful if you have been sold a (quality) pirated version:
Microsoft will send a complimentary copy of Windows XP to customers who have been sold a high-quality counterfeit version of Windows XP. You must submit proof of purchase, the counterfeit CD, and a counterfeit report that includes details about the purchase. To obtain more information about the Complimentary WGA Kit and to apply, visit the following Web site to try to validate the software, and then select See all options

A faster option may be to call the telephone number that should be shown when validation fails or this number: 0870 60 10 100

Good Luck!

tubby linton
12th Apr 2007, 18:21
Thank you for that VA pilot.I will call them tomorrow.