PDA

View Full Version : flying while pregnant

gavin360
10th Apr 2007, 17:03
has anyone got info about flying when pregnant my wife will be 11/12 weeks on the date we are due to fly from bfs - orlando direct just discovered the good news and wondering if it would be advisable 2 change dates any info would be great

lexxity
10th Apr 2007, 19:30
Have her check with her doctor in case there are any underlying problems to be aware of. I doubt she will have seen a midwife yet, usual first appointment isn't until 12weeks-ish and also you will need to find out when her first scan is scheduled for.

Usual advice is not to fly in the first 12 weeks.

Congratualations by the way, it's great.:ok:

SnoggingTarmac
10th Apr 2007, 20:16
There's some great background info on pregnancy & flying in the Cabin Crew forum. Lots around frequent flying and job-specific issues, but very interesting for general SLF use as well.

gavin360
11th Apr 2007, 07:48
thanks i will take a look at the cabin crew forum

hpcock
11th Apr 2007, 16:30
No expert in this matter - But expecting our first in the next couple of days.

I remember my wife being given some medication that softens the uterus, when flying anything over 6hrs. Give your wifes gyno a shout - I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

I am flight crew for a major Asian airline & we are happy to take women after 13-14 weeks. However, as previously mentioned, I would reccommend having a browse through then CC forums.

All the best, good luck & congratulations
HPC

grimmrad
12th Apr 2007, 22:31
As the first trimester is the most sensitive one. Usual advice is not to fly in the first three months. In this time organogenesis takes place, the brain develops and "little errors" produce huge unwelcome results (say a little cosmic radiation...). The 2d trimester is reasonably safe if mother and fetus are well and precautions are taken. Last trimester is again getting tricky as it is closer to delivery and nobody (and also no physician) wants to deliver a baby en route and fight with potential complications (and lawsuits). I understand that some airlines advice against flying close to the due date.
So if it is week 11 or 12 and you can postpone my advice is to do it. Good return on investment (reduce risk for your child), a little bit similar to not smoking, drinking etc.
Best