View Full Version : Where to put the car key when surfing.

gingernut
10th Apr 2007, 11:20
Knowing what an clever lot JB'ers are, (although I still havn't caught the mouse), I thought I'd throw my little problem for discussion out for debate.

Before the demise of my faithfull hound, surfing Fistral was simple. Roll up in the car, don the rubber gear, attach key to dog's collar, and go and have a tumble with the board and surf.

Unfortunately, I'm now left with the key, which I'm a little unkeen to take into the water. (It can be a bit like being in a washing machine in those rollers), and allthough the local shack offers to look after said key, this then restricts surfing hours. (Nothing more magical than a high tide sunset in Fistral.:) )

Surfing elsewhere, eg Gower, is simple- said key can easilly be left on front tyre (honest lot the Welsh), but there are loads of warning signs stating that the Newquay visiting possy (big drug problem unfortunately), have taken to stalking lone surfers such as myself, and watching where we put our keys, enabling them to help themselves to booty- (a p*ss ridden old wetsuit in my case).

Any solutions respectfully requested.:)

BlueDiamond
10th Apr 2007, 11:23
Try one of these (http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/ishop/893/shopscr292.html). Hope that's not considered advertising but it would solve your problem.

tony draper
10th Apr 2007, 11:23
Place key in condom tie knot in same,hand round neck on piece of string,bit salt water won't hurt the Condom so you will be able to use it again and again.
:rolleyes:
PS You may have to purchase a condom from the North of England,one understands Welsh ones would be too small to hold a key fob.

mountjoy
10th Apr 2007, 11:25
nearly all wetsuits have a key pocket, either around the zip, or on the ankle or wrist. failing that put it in the pocket of your boardies and put the wetsuit on over it.

Point of interest newquay is crap and full of tosser's best to head up to constantine fr some mid-tide reef action or if its onshore nail some Harlin bay.

happy days friend :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
10th Apr 2007, 12:41
don the rubber gearIt's ok, you're amongst friends here. No need to pretend you've been "surfing" :ok:

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2007, 12:47
Wasn't there some airline pax recently who set off the alarms due to items secreted internally in a rear body cavity?
You could always try it . . .

Foss
10th Apr 2007, 13:02
I bought a sealable waterproof grab bag. Use it for sailing and body boarding, I'm crap at surfing. But you just tie it round your waist with a cheap nylon belt. I got meself a Ripcurl one. The bag floats, it's waterproof and it doesn't get in the way.
You can get them in any ships chandlers.
Hasn't come off yet.

There are small plastic tubes for keys which go round your neck so you can make gurgling noises as it strangles you while you drown. They're not very good.

Low tech. Put the keys in a freezer bag and put it inside your wetsuit. They're not going to go anywhere.
Fos

Spui18
10th Apr 2007, 13:13
Where to put the car key when surfing?????
Well, on the table, beside the mouse-pad, or in your pocket...or...!

:ugh: :ugh:

gingernut
10th Apr 2007, 13:54
Thanks chaps, I'll give the key thingamy a go, just wondered if there was anyway I could leave it with the car.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh......Thought I looked quite fetching me'self:} What's a gimp? (original image deleted to protect those of feeble mind)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSCN3395-1.jpg

BlueDiamond
10th Apr 2007, 14:09
Well you can buy a magnetic key holder (http://www.linktotheweb.com/06auto/hide_a_key.htm) that attaches anywhere to the body of your car ... up under the wheel arch for example ... but if, as you say, there are people who watch to see where you put the keys, that might not be a very good idea.

Pontius Navigator
10th Apr 2007, 14:24
I put my car keys in my trunks. Quite safe there.

BTW, anyone swimming down near Biaritz, if you find a set of SAAB car keys they are mine. Sold the car since however.

frostbite
10th Apr 2007, 14:32
On top of a rear tyre or in the exhaust pipe are possible options - possibly rather well known though.

kansasw
10th Apr 2007, 15:20
"Thanks chaps, I'll give the key thingamy a go, just wondered if there was anyway I could leave it with the car."

Secrete a key on the car in a magnetic keyholder or other, BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR SURFING. When you arrive, lock the other key inside the car. Nobody sees you hide the key, and you don't have to carry it with you.

Better yet, leave the secret key in place all the time and you will never have to call the locksmith to let you in.

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2007, 15:52
But will the locksmith know where you've hidden the key when you forget?

Pontius Navigator
10th Apr 2007, 15:56
Also I need the key to lock the car. The old trick of locking the open door no longer works. I guess one reason was people locking themselves out!

You just might be able to shut all the doors bar the boot. Then leave the key in the boot.

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2007, 16:10
You just might be able to shut all the doors bar the boot. Then leave the key in the boot.
Exactly what I did on my first business trip after joining a new employer in Denmark. Drove the Audi 100 to Esbjerg (in good time) to catch the North Sea ferry to England, locked the car doors (before central locking) removed my jacket (it was hot and sunny, and I was going to watch the activities in the harbour), put the jacket in the boot and slammed-it shut.
Ok, no problem, we were covered by 'Emergency call-out' (similar to AA, but better), but the papers giving the telephone number and the membership authorisation were in the glovebox . . .

As departure-time for the ferry approached, a docker appeared with a coathanger, and . . .

saved . . .

(My second trip there was the Air Traffic Controllers strike in Italy (all International flights stopped) when I'd arrived from Bari planning a night in Rome before flying back to Denmark first thing next morning to collect the Audi and drive to England again for a critical high-level meeting. Very little money, no company credit cards as yet, air ticket not negotiable . . .

got a flight to Milan, then overnight train to Geneva and flight to Copenhagen - no money left for duty free . . . )

tony draper
10th Apr 2007, 16:25
Drop it in the sand at your feet I guarentee nobody will ever find it including yourself,dropped a solid gold cufflink on Tynemouth Beach once,it weighed about a ounce so one was reluctant to lose it,I watched it fall and hit the sand and disapear, four people and self dug up the beach at the spot it fell for a hour but it was gone forever.
:uhoh:

Evening Star
10th Apr 2007, 16:32
Drop it in the sand at your feet I guarentee nobody will ever find it including yourself,dropped a solid gold cufflink on Tynemouth Beach once,it weighed about a ounce so one was reluctant to lose it,I watched it fall and hit the sand and disapear, four people and self dug up the beach at the spot it fell for a hour but it was gone forever.
:uhoh:

Right, off to Tynemouth now with a metal detector ... there is gold that sand!:}

RatherBeFlying
10th Apr 2007, 17:55
Remove fob from keyring and leave in glovebox.

Lock car with key.

Many lifejackets and wet suits have a clip inside a pocket to which keyring can be clipped and the pocket then zipped or velcroed shut.

tony draper
10th Apr 2007, 18:02
Of course one could always catch bus to the beach.:rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
10th Apr 2007, 18:16
Don't forget modern car keys are electronic transmitters that may not take kindly to sea water.

Rollingthunder
10th Apr 2007, 18:16
What does one do with these new-fangled car alarm thingies that act as lock and alarm setter. Can you hear your car alarm from under a curl?

Foss
10th Apr 2007, 19:26
In an Audi if you take the car keys out, but leave someone Dearly Beloved inside while you run across to get the pizza when that person moves inside the car everything closes, and the cars starts making loud bb-bbeeping noises. And flashes it's lights.
Certainly grabs your attention. The person doing frantic mime inside the car couldn't be heard. Lucky me.

I heard enough about it later though. :hmm:
Fos

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2007, 19:31
A similar thing happens with daughter's Subaru - it's supposed to be some sort of security feature, but it's a pita when it locks you out . . .

helimutt
10th Apr 2007, 19:45
Drapes, you didn't drop it near where that spring bubbles up did you? Back in about 1976?:)

ThreadBaron
10th Apr 2007, 19:56
FSL
Of course one could always catch bus to the beach.
Still the problem of where he's going to hide the bus pass!:}

Pretty pink board ginger.

Burnt Fishtrousers
10th Apr 2007, 22:23
If you drive an Audi or a Volkswagen you could use the key fob they use as the surfboard..

sir.pratt
11th Apr 2007, 00:13
Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh......Thought I looked quite fetching me'self What's a gimp?
from our friend wiki......
A gimp suit is a fetishistic garment designed to cover the body completely (usually including the hands and feet) and to be very close-fitting. It often has an attached hood; if not, it will normally be worn with a bondage hood or gimp mask. The name derives from an association with gimps.
It may be made from rubber, PVC, spandex, darlex or leather, although leather (not being stretchy) cannot be as close-fitting as the other materials.
The difference from a catsuit, unitard or zentai lies more in its purpose than in its appearance. It is used in BDSM to objectify the wearer and reduce them to the status of a sexual toy, rather than a sexual partner. Unless there are suitably placed zips, the genitals will be inaccessible while the suit is worn, though they can still be handled and manipulated through the material, especially if it is spandex or darlex.

gingernut
11th Apr 2007, 09:29
It was a hire board, (Mrs G wouldn't let me take me bic on board her car)and the sea was very cold that day:) , hence the gimp suit.

Must admit, I 'aint the coolest surfer on the beach, but it's amazing how the bathers part for 17stone of rubber blubber delicately balancing on a 3 foot wave.

Miserlou
11th Apr 2007, 20:35
My leash had a pocket incorporated.

Otherwise, I suggest a magnet and a wheel arch. You can work out what you do with that.

G-CPTN
11th Apr 2007, 20:41
But where do you put the wheelarch when surfing? :confused:

ShyTorque
11th Apr 2007, 22:45
We put our front door key in the hanging basket - is that any help?

TheGorrilla
12th Apr 2007, 00:16
If you're a real surf dude your car wont be worth nickin anyway.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
12th Apr 2007, 01:17
I saw a thing on ebay the other day that was a keypad you attach to the outside of your car that's also hooked into the door locking system. :8

It was basically a copy of what a few cars already have built in at the factory, a sort of keyless keyless entry.

FakePilot
12th Apr 2007, 05:31
"Secrete a key on the car in a magnetic keyholder or other, BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR SURFING."

Tried that. The key box fell off during driving. :}

Pontius Navigator
12th Apr 2007, 06:46
ShyTorque, we put one of our front door keys on the hall table. Mrs PN puts the other wherever she happened to stop when she comes in the house.

To get in is simple.

I scale a 6 foot wall, climb down the unsecured trellis on the other side, through a gate, into the conservatory and thence the kitchen where the door is unlocked as Mrs PN could't find the key to lock it.

Occaisionally it is more difficult.

Into the conservatory but this time into the garage. Open the garage door, get ladders out, pass ladders over 6 foot wall and eventually enter upstairs bedroom window.

Many years before, before we built the 6 foot wall, we ensured everywhere was locked and things were more difficult. In that case, quick trip to local junior school and collect 2 window size brats. Removed tumble drier vent plate. Tried first brat, tight fit and would not go all the way. Used smaller brat, in through window. Once smaller brat inside - and on top of tumble drier - had sudden visions of fatal fall or inability of 4 year old to unlock doors.

Ultralights
12th Apr 2007, 09:24
Every pair of board shorts or wetsuit i have bought in the past few years has a small Zipped pocket with an elastic strap inside the pocket, you tie the key to the elastic rope, and zip up the pocket...
never lost a key yet!

Davaar
12th Apr 2007, 14:04
Buy a pipe (briar, more expensive the better), 2 oz. good tobacco, matches, canvas or other camp chair.

Lock car in parking lot. Place keys in any convenient pocket. Place chair at beach (facing sea). Sit on chair. Put tobacco in pipe. Place pipe in mouth. Strike and apply match to tobacco. Smoke pipe. Assume expression of contentment. Watch foolish young people engage in sports. Happiness all round.

tony draper
12th Apr 2007, 14:14
Most sensible piece of advice thus far on this thread Mr Davaar,if necesary one should always be on the water rather than in it.
:cool:

G-CPTN
12th Apr 2007, 14:53
Two workmates sat at adjacent desks. One an athletic sort (squash, football, all sorts of activity), the other a couch-potato who considered 'exercise' as walking 100 yards to the pub. Athletic one was frequently off-work 'sick', couch potato rarely absent, and his maxim was "Whenever I feel the urge to exercise I lie down until I feel better . . . ".

DirtyPierre
13th Apr 2007, 03:19
Gingernut,

I am a surfer here in Oz. The solution is simple and you have options:

1. leave key with missus (or someone else) when you surf
2. take key with you.

Do not leave the key with the car - thieves know this happens - even in Fistral as well as Kirra, Currumbin or Snapper Rocks!

If you have a key that is electronic (computer chip and/or remote locking) you will need to put it in something that is water proof. I use a latex glove which I put in a ziplock bag. The bag is tied to my boardies inside the pocket with the elastic all boardie manufacturers in Oz insert for just this purpose.

It is better not to take the electronic key into the surf. Much better to use a "valet" key or have a spare cut cut that isn't electronic. this you can just tie to your elastic inside your boardie pocket or put in the special pouch of your wetsuit or legrope.

Hope this helps......hang five dude.:)

priapism
14th Apr 2007, 10:37
I leave my keys in my car - right next to my bull terrier!

MSP Aviation
14th Apr 2007, 15:48
Pierre, I don't think they meant the electronic buttons for unlocking, etc, but the little internal computer chip that "talks" to the ignition to allow the car to start. The vallet key would need one of these as well. One could, though, have a key cut to allow the door to be opened, and have the electronic key secreted inside the glovebox, or such.

DirtyPierre
14th Apr 2007, 22:15
MSP Aviation,

I used to take my Honda Accord "valet" key into the surf with no problems. The chip is inside the plastic of the key and is waterproof. I have a different Honda now (Civic) and there is no valet key.

The bull terrier is an option......though he does make the car smell of dog, and in a Queensland summer he'd be dead (heat exposure) and you'd be changed for cruelty to animals.

gingernut
25th Aug 2010, 17:13
I leave my keys in my car - right next to my bull terrier!

Worked well until the RAC had to rescue me last night.

Thought I'd nip to Watergate last night for a last surf. Whole place has sold out since Jamie Oliver moved in,and key holding is a no no. (No money in it). Put wallet, watch and phone in the glove box, sat Max (trusty lab) in the boot of unlocked car, on top of key. Came out of water some two hours later, wet, tired, hungry, to find trusty hound somehow managed to close windows and lock door.:{

G-CPTN
25th Aug 2010, 17:23
Any chance that a (kindly) human noticed your car was unlocked and windows left open.

(Is it possible to lock your car without a key - apart from from inside?)

What about suspending a waterproof container (condom or whatever) from a string aound your neck with the (condom) stuffed inside your wetsuit?

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 18:04
Buggah! a resurrected thread,still think my condom idea was the best for Oz, it will help the police verify your identity when they catch the Shark.:)

ExSp33db1rd
25th Aug 2010, 22:32
Sun setting into deserted sea, last walk on the beach of the holiday, centrally locked doors, and as the last one was closed saw the key still in the ignition. Bugger !

Spotted light in distant cottage, long trudge, knocked on door, 12 yr. old girl answered followed by suspicous father. No problem, father obtained statutory wire coat hangar and returned to car, where we spotted one door not fully latched, 30 mins. later now pitch dark, bored daughter came along to see what was happening, by which time we had just about dismantled the car to no avail. Daughter pushed on the partly opened door - and the locking button lifted !! Bugger !

corsair
25th Aug 2010, 22:40
I don't surf, which solves the problem neatly. But the valet key is the way to go. Not all cars have them though, which is a problem.

Was on the beach once, Caherdaniel, County Kerry. A hidden gem I must say. Accosted by a distressed man. He had lost his car keys but they had been found and note left on the appropriate car with a phone number. Problem: The phones were in the car. So I lend him my phone, turns out the finder had left them just under the wheel. Crisis averted. But I must say I would have checked that very spot if it was me. It's too bloody obvious.

A waterproof bag is a good idea for surfing. Tucked into the wetsuit. Easy really.

25th Aug 2010, 23:01
We have a similar problem out on the hill Hang Gliding. (BTW never used have the problem). One solution employed was to:

1. Attach 3 feet of strong nylon fishing line to key
2. Crack open the sunroof tilt.
3. Lower headrest on front pax/driver seat and trap key lightly between headrest and top of seat such that key is enfolded.
4. Run line out of sunroof - it's virtually invisible
5. Retrieve key by pulling on line.

Lon More
25th Aug 2010, 23:09
Tried that. The key box fell off during driving

Do you drive an Alfa? The thin layer of metal sprayed on the inside of the paint rusts away after 5 minutes in a salty atmosphere

rans6andrew
26th Aug 2010, 10:41
How many times do you need to balance a primed mouse trap (or maybe a rat trap?) on a wheel before the problem goes away? :ok:

Rans6.......

TerminalTrotter
26th Aug 2010, 15:40
Or put wheels on the board and skateboard to the beach.

TT

birrddog
26th Aug 2010, 16:18
Back in the days that I had a BMW, they gave you a plastic key. I had a little key pocket in the speedo (worn under wetsuit when spearfishing, and not for smuggling budgies) where said plastic key went.

Simples.

Parapunter
26th Aug 2010, 16:23
We have a similar problem out on the hill Hang Gliding. (BTW never used have the problem). One solution employed was to:

1. Attach 3 feet of strong nylon fishing line to key
2. Crack open the sunroof tilt.
3. Lower headrest on front pax/driver seat and trap key lightly between headrest and top of seat such that key is enfolded.
4. Run line out of sunroof - it's virtually invisible
5. Retrieve key by pulling on line.As an ex paraglider pilot, we, on the other side of the fence as it were, generally perceived the hangy brigade as beer swilling, beardy types with sheds & diesel Peugeot 405's who would sit all day on the hill, rigged up complaining to one another about the price of aluminium.

I have to say Cron, you're doing nothing to dispel that image:}

And yes, I know your lot, think of us as middle management wallahs with iphones, spritzers, BMW's & no idea about flying:)

Um... lifting...
26th Aug 2010, 17:28
At least of of my board leashes has a key pocket in the velcro bit at the board end... also, some of my trunks have a bungee key loop inside the pocket, so you can tether the thing to you... never lost a key in Hawai'i, and never surfed in a wetsuit there, either.

Now, if your shorts fall off or your board departs, you might be out of luck...

gingernut
26th Aug 2010, 18:09
I always thought seventy quid a year was a bit excessive, but give the guy his due, he rescued me "true and propper.....(as they say round these parts:-))"

Apparently you can have a simple key cut, which won't start the car, but will open the door.

Problem solved me thinks :-)

PS one dog for sale.

OFSO
26th Aug 2010, 18:39
I do believe in the book "Papillion" the French prisioners on their way to Devils Island found a very secure place to transport smaller belongings.

oxenos
26th Aug 2010, 18:45
Dig up demised dog, retrieve collar, re-bury dog, wear collar yourself. Simples.

spekesoftly
26th Aug 2010, 19:16
In an Audi if you take the car keys out, but leave someone Dearly Beloved inside while you run across to get the pizza when that person moves inside the car everything closes, and the cars starts making loud bb-bbeeping noises. And flashes it's lights.

On many VAG vehicles you can disable the interior motion monitoring system by pressing a switch, usually located on the door pillar near the driver's lower seat belt mounting. The system is automatically re-activated the next time the vehicle is locked or unlocked.

Blues&twos
26th Aug 2010, 20:58
This is what I use for sailing, so long as it's tucked in somewhere nice and snug....somewhere you won't need surgery to retrieve, preferably...they're very good indeed.

Aquapac Keymaster Case - Only 11.95 - Force 4 Chandlery (http://www.force4.co.uk/8430/Aquapac-Keymaster-Case.html)

G-CPTN
26th Aug 2010, 22:18
I'm surprised that the local gear sellers don't supply a suitable solution (apart from 'minding your key for a fiver' - which could be subject to abuse).

Doesn't look convincing (http://www.freakfish.co.uk/keypod-car-key-safe.html).

tony draper
26th Aug 2010, 22:28
Bit surpised concidering the amount of computing power and chips cars have incorporated in em now that no one has come up with voice operated central locking systems by now.
Coded to your own voice of course.
Open Sesame :rolleyes:

ExSp33db1rd
28th Aug 2010, 07:49
...voice operated central locking systems...

No, no, no. When the Digital Doris voice recognition things first came along, I tried to book an airline ticket to Los Angeles, the stupid thing just couldn't understand my impeccable BBC English pronounciation of Los Angeles. Eventually, after many tries, a friend, a Geordie, took over and he made the booking instantly !

I can see myself being arrested for shouting at my car in some public place.

opsjockey
28th Aug 2010, 07:54
As a keen kitesurfer, i used to use Aquapacs, then i discovered the Keypod, car key safe... 20 well spent...locks nicely between the holes in my wheel rim.. easy... a google search will show stockists!

Now only really use aquapacs for my mobile phone when im out kayaking.

gingernut
30th Aug 2010, 20:35
PS Mr Draper, did try the condom trick last year, but Mrs Ginge complained about the sand afterwards....

something about an org:)an grinder

Lon More
30th Aug 2010, 23:37
Blues & Twos wrote so long as it's tucked in somewhere nice and snug....somewhere you won't need surgery to retrieve, preferably and also somewhere that won't lead you to being arrested when you retrieve it