PDA

View Full Version : What is your take-home pay at the end of the month?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

scherzo
1st Apr 2008, 20:39
Teaching FIC and CPL £1500-£2000 month, less when on PPL work.......wish I'd done IR all those years ago

adverse-bump
2nd Apr 2008, 19:02
year 1 FO on tp, 1500 a month :{

XXPLOD
3rd Apr 2008, 11:17
UK Police Inspector: £48K. Retire at 52 on two thirds of my final salary.

In a quandry about a career change - do I/don't I take unpaid leave to do my ATPL?

virginpilot1087
3rd Apr 2008, 23:52
XXPLOD

"Once you have tasted flight you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward"

LEONARDO DA VINCE.

bengolds
6th Apr 2008, 20:45
2nd year FO on a Brookfield contract with RYR. with 80 hours a month take home £3600, no benefits, only work 11 months a year.

have fun

Just a spotter
7th Apr 2008, 17:29
MD of own start up company for 12 months (not aviation related), average €0 pm for the last year.

Still, plenty of time to get out and watch the movements ... or not.

:uhoh:

JAS

cityshuttle737
7th Apr 2008, 20:25
Hi,
Air Berlin Captain,2nd year
after german tax take home between 4000 and 5500 Euro net,depending on flight hours,at the moment about 40 to 60 hours a month because of increased crew-factor.
If you are married you can add about 500-1000 Euros.

360 degree mason
7th Apr 2008, 20:42
:cool:

Field Service Engineer 27 Years old, take home about £2900 per month total. Studying towards CPL/IR. Not your typical student Pilot career background tbh.:\:\:\

I love my Job even though i'm re-training to be a Pilot.

Knoxy777
8th Apr 2008, 09:38
Civil Service 'Scientist', earning £1100 net per month.

Start CPL training in July :)

herbaceous
8th Apr 2008, 10:34
Left RN last year as LT, going nowhere due to 'differences' in aspirations.
Take home pay about £3300 a month.
Now working in the city take home around £5k a month and six figure bonus.
Mmmm I would love to have that conversation with my old CO again. More to life than just flying, but I do miss it!

ItsAjob
8th Apr 2008, 12:40
herbaceous (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=138800)
What job have you got in the city?
Did you work there previously?

herbaceous
8th Apr 2008, 12:58
Trader and no, just very lucky right place at right time.

Dirty Bleeder
8th Apr 2008, 15:37
Couldn't cut it as a pilot then!!!

This is a Pilots Forum you blunty!!:ok::ok::ok:

herbaceous
9th Apr 2008, 11:49
Couldn't cut it as a pilot then!!!

This is a Pilots Forum you blunty!!:ok::ok::ok:

Oh Dirty bleeder why embarass yourself like that?
Thanks for pointing out that this is a pilots forum, obviously you are an incredibly perceptive person. Just because my main job is no longer flying does this mean I am no longer entitled to post a thread here?

I was lucky enough to have a great 15 year career flying fast jets all over the world which I am eternally greatful for the opportunity.
Whether I 'can cut it' as a pilot is neither here nor there but if you fancy yourself I am happy to see if I can. A bit of 1v1 to see if I can?

My intention of my post was to merely point out that there are opportunities outside of flying where the skills that we have aquired over the years are valued.

Time Traveller
9th Apr 2008, 13:36
:ok: - that means he's yankin' your chain

You working too hard?

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
9th Apr 2008, 13:44
herbaceous

which city firm do you work in at Ilchester?
not many that I know of out there....

if you work at somewhere like lehman, deutsche, morgan stanley....

I may know you

flyingcamel
9th Apr 2008, 17:41
Flybe FO, year 1, with the company since Jan.

Take home is between £1700-1900 it seems. That doesn't include pension deductions which should be around £70 I think. Seems like a damn good bit of business straight out of the OAT sorry 'OAA!!!' sausage machine!

SEAMASTER
9th Apr 2008, 20:26
Hope your not trying to run a house and family on that kind of money if you are good luck to you !

AQFlyer
9th Apr 2008, 23:16
Skymark 737-800 Captain, 1st year, $13,200 USD per month. This includes housing and living money and a little extra because I get paid in JPY and the dollar has been weak. If all the currencies were equal, I am guaranteed $12,500 per month. It's the best contract in the World!

Dirty Bleeder
10th Apr 2008, 12:39
NetJets year 1 FO

Got a £5300 pay rise since I started working for the company 4 months ago.

3.3% for the annual inflation based pay rise- even though I had only been in the company 21 days. But more importantly, £4000 of it because of the extremely beneficial exchange rate!!! Come on the EURO.

Not in the same league of pay as Herbaceous but your have to have something going for you when you're from the Southern Hemisphere!!!!

Time Traveller - thanks for trying to help with this simpleton. What can I say - once a mud mover always a mud mover!!! (ps. he now knows that I'm an old oppo):ok:

Regards

herbaceous
10th Apr 2008, 13:33
DB,

Couldn't make it at VAA then:ok::ok::ok:

British Grenadier
10th Apr 2008, 14:46
with about 32 hours overtime take home about £1800, life would be easier if VA could get it's act togeather at LHR !!!! :{

XXPLOD
12th Apr 2008, 12:24
Tell me about it! I'm a police officer - 1.9% pay 'rise.'

Still, at least they can't sack me.......

EGT Redline
12th Apr 2008, 13:31
B1 Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer with multiple Airbus and Boeing type ratings.

Permenant job:

About £55-60k gross per annum with a bit of overtime (£3200-3400 monthly take home).

Contractor:

£6k per month take home working week on/week off. £10k per month is easily achievable if you are prepared to put the hours in. :ok:

machcrit
1st May 2008, 18:59
hope you fly better than you spell:D

alrb211
1st May 2008, 20:12
I make less than the guy next door and he drives a truck!

:confused:

Wigster
4th May 2008, 09:11
Its all good fun to read through the various posts here and l think it is fair to say you need to be a little sceptical over some of the claims. There have been posts from at least 3 BA shorthaul 2nd year F/O's with take home ranging from £2800 up to £4000. Quite a spread!! Now either Mr £2800 is being ripped off or the other Nigels are inflating their pay to make everyone think it is still the job it used to be (which off course it isn't). Maybe the paycuts are to help with T5??:ok::ok:

rons22
4th May 2008, 11:16
I am ATPL frozen and applied for many jobs but somehow never get replies from airlines. Work as software developer on avionics systems and make about £80k with bonus.
Good mate of mine paid for Ryanair placement, he spent about £40K so far (on top of £60k he spent to become pilot) for type rating and living costs whilst doing unpaid flying for them. He reckons he will need another £10-15K to complete training and get to FO position which will make him about £50 per flying hour (excluding delays/aircraft technical problems non-flyable time)

matt999
5th May 2008, 05:43
I currently work in the Fire Brigade in charge of a single-appliance watch in London near LCY, over £2,000 pm take home after 11% final salary pension contributions.

Always wanted to fly (7hrs in gliders age 14), thinking of qualifying and wondering about the possibility of getting some kind of part-time flying job such as instructing.

Any ideas for a mature student? What kind of commercial operator would use part-time pilots?

Aelkobi
5th May 2008, 06:16
Man, am I glad I didnt pursue my dream career.... $15k/month after tax, driving a desk. Still doing the PPL fun stuff, so I think Ive got the best of both ..!!!:p

Wigster
5th May 2008, 08:12
Aelkobi, mmmmmmmmm, sounds like great fun that desk of yours. What cruising altitude does that bad boy get up to?? You continue to enjoy it and keep counting all that money. As long as you are getting job satisfaction that is all that counts!!!!:ok:

Wigster
5th May 2008, 08:16
matt999, there are no airlines that will take you on as part time with your level of experience but l would recommend getting your PPL then progressing on to getting an instructors rating. This will allow you to do some training jobs (part time) so you build up your hours and get someone else to pay for the aircraft hire. Who knows, when you build enough hours you can either stay as you are or progress onto ATPL level then get an airline job. Plenty of jobs out there at the moment.

Von Smallhausen
5th May 2008, 08:23
BA paypoint 4 shorthaul F/O. In an ordinary month £3600-3900 take home, however I make an extra voluntary contribution into the pension fund of about £300/month. If I didn't, it would add £180 (cos it would be taxed!) to the above. If I really wanted see my soul and needed the cash I could probably add a few more £hundred with some overtime.

The variation is due to doing a little less or a little more work from month to month which bidline permits. Also number of nights away/month (which can be between 2-15 though I'm normally somewhere in the middle). More nights away = more £ due allowances.

Wigster,

A fair chunk of this is made up from flying pay/downroute allowances, which are paid the month after. e.g. If I am on leave/days off for all of May, then my June pay would be about £2700, which would explain the variation you mention.

Telstar
5th May 2008, 09:13
Year 3 Ryanair SFO, Permanent contract, Euro Base. Depending on the Flight hours per month, and if choosing to work days off (Rare) the Salary has varied in extremes from €4000-6000 net although the average has been €4800 net. This comprises of Basic salary of €2500 net and average sector cheque of €2300.

Very cleverly structured salary structure so that you earn a pittance in the first two years when your experience level is not really enough to get yourself employed anywhere else, but when you have the hours THEY need to upgrade you as a Captain you start to earn a reasonably attractive wage. Carrot on a stick anyone?

wheelie my boeing
5th May 2008, 10:05
Year 1 BA shorthaul; £3500 gross per month. That may be why there is a spread, others may take tax into account. By the way, whilst it may not be the job it used to be, it is still better at BA that most others. And guess what, we get to charge our mobile phones whilst at work! (oh and no charge for drinking water either :})

flyingcamel
5th May 2008, 14:28
SEAMASTER, glad to say that I'm just running a flat and a car in GLA on that cheque, otherwise yes, it would be horrendous! I guess thats the going rate for a junior FO on a TP these days though eh? Just my luck lol!

Bose Wave
5th May 2008, 20:47
rons22, Im interested to know when your mate started with Ryanair, I have been flying with them for 18 months, when I did the TR, it cost me approx £20k including living expenses, If you mate paid £40k he must have stayed at the Ritz!!!!! I then started line training and from day 1 of line training I was paid, admittedly you don’t get paid flight pay while your training but there is no unpaid flying, you only get a “basic” salary but that was only for 6 weeks then I was signed off to the line and got half sector pay for 6 months along with my basic, that equated to a net monthly amount of around £2000 when I went on to full sector pay 6 months later my average net salary was £2700 to £3000 per month.

I have to wonder just what your mate needed this extra £10-£15k to complete his training? Also you mention technical problems in my 18 months there, I have only ever known one aircraft to go tech on us, that’s a pretty good statistic.

I cant quite believe that your mate exists, if he does he is either telling you a complete load of crap or you are providing that on his behalf, if you started your line training and were soo far from the required standard that it was going to cost another £10k to £15k, ryanair would get rid of you long before that as it would be apparent that he/she clearly are not up to flying the 737 at all !!! Sorry mate, dont mean to be harsh but what you say about your “good mate” simply cannot be true

Bose Wave

wheelie my boeing
5th May 2008, 21:55
Bose Wave,
maybe he's taking out certain expenses I.E. uniform or car parking at airports that you guys have to pay for (so it really shouldn't be counted as salary as a lot of it actually goes on expenses you have to pay in order to fly for the airline anyway). You can't include things like uniform and car parking in your salary. If you do, then I might as well work out how much BA spend on my uniform and everything else per year, and then add that onto my salary and tell everyone I earn much more than I actually do...

Wangja
6th May 2008, 01:10
Very interesting: I had always imagined the pay was generally higher. The highest I noticed was that a380 fellow. Certainly my nephew, BA/747 does quite nicely for his age.

Anyway, here in Seoul for me around 27,000 USD pm net plus medical and 3 flights a year.

Bose Wave
6th May 2008, 16:11
Granted I hear what you say but this bloke is talking about £10k to £15k, on top of a rating thats cost him £40k, a uniform is about £300 and you only buy one of them and parking is £20.00 per month times by 12 for the year £240 ok so we pay for our medical too, about £150 so all in £690. Yes it is a pain in the a$$ but adding that to your salary is not exactly going to make it seem "much higher" is it?

Also people bang on about buying a uniform like its buying a house, its something you buy once for a couple of hundred quid, I know a guy who wouldnt go to FR because of the requirement to buy a uniform, its not that big a deal, its something that you have to get over for the sake of £300, hes still without a flying job.....

john.o.pilot
6th May 2008, 19:47
Bose Wave, if you spent £20k in total, please please tell me how you managed it?
£20k is roughly about 25000 euros.

Below is excerpt from the Ryanair type rating information pack advertised by BFSAA. This is course only, no cost of accomodation and other bills etc.

Financial Structure
Assessment fee: £ 260 incl. VAT
(East Midlands)
Type Rating Course: € 29,080
(Approximately)
5 year reference check € 240
Criminal Record check £ 20
(Scotland basic disclosure)

Monty77
6th May 2008, 19:59
I don't believe you.

Best paid pilots in the world are Typhoon Instructors going to Saudi. That's because there are only about 5 of them who are prepared to go.

It's far more complicated than an airliner, requires skills that take a whole career to acquire, that most of us don't possess anyway, and it's a crappy place to live.

Supply and demand.

Wangja
7th May 2008, 01:34
What don't you believe ol' boy?

That I am surprsied that pilot pay is generally lower than I had imagined?

It was merely an observation as I am not a pilot.

(I do much envy the job tho' - leave the office at the end of the working day and there is no "left to do" list ..... )

Bose Wave
7th May 2008, 07:24
john o pilot,

my TR was approx £18k, The remaining £2k covered my living expnses, the criminal check at the time was £150, I went to an open day and handed in a CV and the next Day I had an email from FR inviting me to an assessment, there was no fee for this, I also paid for the criminal assessment which I think was indeed as you say £20, I can go on if we are down to these sums of money, I can tell you that you also pay £2.50 to go to the local swimming pool when doing your safety training. But ultimately these are one of payments (as is the uniform that everyone bangs on about) that IF you want the job then you see beyond them.

If the prices you say are correct (and I dont doubt you) then all I can say is that since 18 months ago it has gone up in price...sounds like FR !

Getting back to my original post the bloke said his mates TR already cost him £40k with another £10k-£15k to go followed by unpaid flying, I dont quite believe any of that.

BW

Bose Wave
7th May 2008, 07:33
wheelie my boeing,

OK, uniform costs around £300 but remember you only buy one once, people talk about the uniform like its buying a house in terms of expense, if you want to job you get over this one off inconvenience, car parking where I am based is a direct debit of £20 per month so call it £240 per year, yes we also pay for our medical £150 so total is close to £700, yes it’s a pain to pay this but ultimately we are taking Hundreds here and not thousands, you say “tell everyone I earn much more than I do” £700 hardly boosts your salary massively does it?

BW

Aelkobi
7th May 2008, 09:54
The desk may be well grounded, but its only a desk... I'm not tied to it ! I work contracts and can come n go as I please or it suits, no timetable or roster to cling to. So, if its a good day and the aircraft is available I can just decide to take the day/ half day off and go for a jolly if I want. I DO think that is the best of both, because, once it becomes a 'bread n butter' issue the fun departs rapidly, and it might even become a chore ! I hope it never does though, for anyone of you, because I would'nt wish that on anyone...
Yep , I'm happy wi me desk, and my sporadic jollies.... and I dont count the cash, I just try to spend some of it before the wife does !
It also means I get paid while writing titbits like this (at my lovely, boring, grounded desk.... !!! )
Tailwinds to yawl............. Aelkobi.

Monty77
7th May 2008, 19:25
Wangja - touche.

Apologies, couldn't work out how to make the acute accent on the 'e' to work. So please accept a 'Ha!', by way of recompense.

Fair play to you, if somebody is prepared to pay you for the skills you have to generate money for an organisation that is in business to make money. Be it a bank or an airline. That's what it comes down to.

Wangja
8th May 2008, 01:43
Monty - fret not, no offence taken ol' chap, and I am probably at the peak of my earnings now, others here are still climbing.

(To put accents, one can type in Word and then paste in here, but it's a bit of a pain).

wilky
9th May 2008, 09:49
I'm currently on a contract in the North sea working as an abseilor. I work 147 nights a year and take home approx £3000 a month, with a 2 weeks on 3 weeks of Rota. I'm doing this to fund my flying training, It's going to be a bit of a hit when and if I ever get a job flying commercially, but money doesn't buy happiness, flying will make me happy. I'm sick of working offshore, it's Bo:mad:cks, but it's a means to an end so to speak. :ok:

BlunderBus
14th May 2008, 21:33
744 captain...after tax(including provisional) and housing contribs... 13,000 usd/month
it's an expensive place to live!
last 3 months duty 98 hours...103 hours..111 hours..
900/year good pay but you work for it.
rosters unstable..especially for freighter crews
currently negotiating pay CUTS

Guzzler
15th May 2008, 01:00
cathay pacific A scale captain 18 years left seat ...

13,000 usd/month

Come on you have to earn more than that. A scale wages are legendary. In a good month a UK charter pilot could earn that.

stillalbatross
15th May 2008, 02:57
744 F/O Cathay Pacific B scale
9 yrs in company, 9+ more to command
After Housing, Tax etc
Take Home pay $3900USD
Frozen at yr 8 F/O
Short patterns away
90-95 a month Long Haul
Great roster, lots of days off
Great lifestyle :)

weezythef
15th May 2008, 20:38
Sure you guys aren't cargo?

Capt salary is terrible if true and F/O salary def doesn't sound right.

A Qantas S/O on the 744 makes 3.9k take home!

Qanchor
15th May 2008, 21:16
Vietnam Airlines Capt A320 1500hrs+ Command on type.....USD$10,800 no tax

ale_mcdowel
16th May 2008, 04:54
HAHA!!!! first year american Eagle on EMB 145 F/O, about 1200$ a month if i dont non rev very much with my own company because they charge me 13$ per flight every time that i comute home.... Kinda bad, no??

Defenestrator
16th May 2008, 06:49
744 captain...after tax(including provisional) and housing contribs... 13,000 usd/month

Blunderbus,
If I may be so forward as to ask what the gross salary is for someone of your seniority. And are you only paying HK tax or do you have dependents eslewhere that requires you to pay tax in another country as well? Hoping not to offend but $13000 USD/month on A scale just doesn't seem like a lot at the end of the day.

D:)

hunterboy
16th May 2008, 07:43
HAHA!!!! first year american Eagle on EMB 145 F/O, about 1200$ a month if i dont non rev very much with my own company because they charge me 13$ per flight every time that i comute home.... Kinda bad, no??

Costs me $120 to commute to and from work.....kinda worse?That's Europe for you....

thehighlander959
18th May 2008, 14:12
HSE Manager for progressive and aggressive oil company 19750 Euros per month. Due incremental pay rise in June 2008 linked to companies profit margin and safe operations at work bonus:D.

oefag
18th May 2008, 14:50
959 , that is over the hill ( tax free..??).
No operational airline personel will equal that..!!
I knew I am in the wrong bussiness....

F4F
18th May 2008, 17:03
yeah well, suppose 959 has to work for the money :{
and life's too short for that :=

live 2 fly 2 live

PS
Check his location as well...

Rawrawhammer
19th May 2008, 00:00
"yeah well, suppose 959 has to work for the money :{
and life's too short for that :=

live 2 fly 2 live

PS
Check his location as well..."

Yes, that's true.But he can work for 10years and retire wealthy!

belongins
20th May 2008, 15:40
Ok so i am on the brink of ending a £31k pa career as a scientist for a big a$$ defence company to start a psuedo sponsored integrated fATPL course.

Naturally I want to know what sort of pay i am likely to get upon completion (assuming i get a job!..I have read all the posts on the latter:))

So i think it goes like this:
I will finish my fATPL and be type rated according to whoever wnats me when i approach the end of my training. This i guess is most likely to be EZ or simialr but (looks to the sky and says a quick prayer) could be BA.
How much will i start on net pcm

Cheers
B

Cloud Bunny
20th May 2008, 16:01
Just cleared £7,684 last month. 26yo, 7 years in IT. :ok: Will be buying my first type rating for X-Mas

Really? My god man, don't even think about leaving that kind of money. Job swap?

Wings Of Fury
20th May 2008, 16:37
7,270 Euro - Wide Body Airbus First Officer :ok:

Saw a job on an DC-3 the other day for 12,722 Euro - per month :eek:

Just so I can beat you to it: P.S check my location :hmm:

Damianik
20th May 2008, 21:27
Loco Lo-Co FO 2 years, between 3300 and 4500 nothing else, no benefits, no insurance, no uniform. Still not bad, there is much,much worse.

Bose Wave
22nd May 2008, 19:24
If you really cleared that amount in a month youd be nuts to give it up

BW

AlternativeProcedure
23rd May 2008, 10:28
Wings Of Fury,

what airline is that?

AP

Monty77
23rd May 2008, 17:43
Alternative

Wings of Fury is not a right-thinking adult.

Anybody can post on here whatever they like.

And he/she just did.

Never send cheques to Nigeria when you've been told you need to 'facilitate' your amazing lottery win which you didn't even know you entered.

Never believe people who claim, anonymously, that they earn shed-loads more than the rest of us for doing the same job.

I am Death Star Commander Rikki Tikki Tavi. Our invasion fleet is lying just outside the outer galactic arm of the universe you call, er, universe. Send me a cheque, or your unclaimed millions will ensure your children die in slavery.

Hope that helps.

:ok:

Clandestino
23rd May 2008, 20:50
A320 senile first officer (8th year) with third world flag carrier.

Basic net 2000€, maximum 3100€ with overtime and per diems.

Overtime starts at 70hr, average sector length is 1:15.

D-OCHO
24th May 2008, 15:20
Dash-8 Capt. 6.000 euro/month net. 72.000 euro/year net.
Schedule 4 weeks on/4 weeks off.
Maximum 100 hrs./month 600 hrs./year flying time.

SparksFlyHigh
24th May 2008, 15:39
18 years old
FLT Driver for Tesco
Take home average of £1500 a month
7 weeks paid holiday a year.

I would fly for food tokens though :ugh:

B767PL
20th Jun 2008, 23:06
And by doing so you would begin to lower the bar system-wide, and next thing you know all pilots would be working for food tokens.

That is the type of thinking that on a wide scale will drag down T&C's across the board. :=

1st year Dash-8 F/O U.S Airways Express
26.35$ per flt hr.
72hr monthly guarentee
Line holders get around 90hrs block, which is about $2,300 before taxes.
On reserve, no phone call in 2 weeks, barely making enough to get by. :ugh:

brit bus driver
21st Jun 2008, 00:34
That is the type of thinking that on a wide scale will drag down T&C's across the board.

Easy fella...

He's an 18 year old working at Tesco's. I don't think his comment was the nail in the coffin for the world's pilots' T&Cs, more the frustrated posting of a young man (or woman) desparate to follow his (or her) dream.

Besides, it's never enough anyway. Mr Brown and his cronies see to that!:ugh:

bluenose81huskys
21st Jun 2008, 01:21
Offshore H2s safety Technician

Average take home for 2 weeks work = £3200.00

B767PL
21st Jun 2008, 04:44
Didnt mean any harm by that comment, maybe it came out a bit rough. All I am saying is just to make sure that mind-set doesnt carry-on when in search of a job(I assumed sparksflyhigh is a student pilot or maybe saving up to be one). Management would have us flying for food tokens if they only could because they could care less, that is why we need to stick together and not lower the bar because we are worth more.

Not to steer off-topic, though. :)

captseth
21st Jun 2008, 06:47
$2,044./month on unemployment. 45, 11 years as Capt on 757, 727, 737, DC-10.

WTFO.

bArt2
21st Jun 2008, 07:40
Belgian Air Force, Captain 16 years 2500 Euro (about 1600 GBP)

Now unemployed I receive from taxpayers 1050 Euro's (about 700 GBP)

Greetings, Bart

XXPLOD
21st Jun 2008, 10:03
Just about at the top of a UK police Inspector's pay scale. Gross £4K pcm

Tax, NI and 11% pension contribution = c£2600 take home. As I said earlier in this thread - not bad, but at least it's secure come what may.

desmotronic
29th Jun 2008, 08:11
Self employed company director 5 years AUS$110,000 (70,000EUR) per annum net working 3 days per week. Company pays just about everything including plods traffic infringements.:}

Plus single pilot ifr night freight piston 2 years AUS$25,000 (16,000EUR) per annum 3 nights per week. Company pays just about nothing. :ugh:

Monthly 5,800EUR + 1,300EUR per month take home.

sikeano
29th Jun 2008, 08:26
Retired from RAF, working Part time, clear 1300 after Gordon takes his bit ,

I am happy with what I get,no kids to support, only me, my pub and the sheeps

Oh Yeah, PPrune is free which always helps :ok:

Mr Gammon Flaps
29th Jun 2008, 11:01
Hi Chaps:

Would any year 1 BA First Officers on either the Jumbo or Triple care to post their average take home pay.

I know this info is posted in previous threads, however it would be good to get an up to date figure post 08 pay rise.

Many thanks

GF

Gallimero
29th Jun 2008, 14:47
CC for a big European airlline. 2500€ to 2800€ a month (after tax) depending on flights. Add 500/1000€ for a Purser, more for a Chief Purser.
Plus: 13th month; uniform allowance around 1000€ a year; bonus around 1000€ a year.
68 to 75 hours per month.
41 to 48 days vacation a year (depends on the vacation scheme you choose).
Pension and parking included, health care by NHS and private insurance paid by the company.
Don´t complain at all, go to work with a smile and treat pax like royalty :)

flyingmogul
29th Jun 2008, 18:51
SA Air Force Major. Flying instructor, 10th year of service.

take home 1200GBP.

Going to an Airline near you ... :ok:

hongkongfooey
30th Jun 2008, 03:00
Narrowbody F/O in Asia, 130,000HKD/month ( 10,500 euro ), although 1/2 of that must be paid into mortgage. Tax at around 15% taken care of with bonuses profit sharing etc anually. Full medical, schooling, 50000HKD ( 4000 euro )/annum travel allowance, staff travel ............. not a bad gig.
O/T, o/night allowances and FDP extra :ok:

Fintastic
30th Jun 2008, 08:55
RAF Flt Lt, top rate Flt Lt & flying pay. Pay per month; Gross £4660, Net £2900 (after tax, NI, Council tax, quarter, etc). Still not a bad way to earn a living....but it does depend what fleet your on!:ok:

Open Lies
2nd Jul 2008, 10:21
Gammon Flaps...

Year one BA DEP onto LH (or SH of that matter) your looking at £3,500 all in - and of course working 90 %of your weekend time aswell !:eek:

Z-526F
2nd Jul 2008, 21:26
As an captain for eastern europe charter/bizjet operator, dual type-rated (narrow-body airliner+medium size bizjet), I take home EUR 5200 net/8300 gross each month. Good quality of life, especially at times when I`m posted on the bizjets :}

hunterboy
3rd Jul 2008, 05:41
Some of these salaries are almost depressing. It does reflect how the status and career of piloting has fallen in the last 20 years. When I joined my company 20 years ago, the guys in the left hand seat were saying the same. However, these guys had 6 figure salaries and most retired on 6 figure pensions. many of us will be very lucky to achieve the same.(And that takes inflation into account!)
I wouldn't advise my children to go into the job judging by some of the salaries posted on here. Perhaps the big earners are keeping a low profile?

stardustcologne
3rd Jul 2008, 18:04
F/O mixed fleet (narrow and wide) 5 years: salary 2800 - 4000 Euro after tax including perdiem (around 200 - 300 Euro) depending on flight hours (4000 Euro with 97 hrs flight time). No guaranteed flight hours.
6 weeks leave, 13th month salary and company pension.

realcxpilot
6th Jul 2008, 00:43
Cathay Pacific 5th year Second officer: monthly cash 2000usd, no more no less. About 80h flying. Yes they pay for housing. Command time 20 years from now.

Aussie
6th Jul 2008, 07:58
Mate what you doing wrong? I know guys just got upgrade at the 3yr mark!

Wangja
10th Jul 2008, 00:46
Cathay Pacific 5th year Second officer: monthly cash 2000usd, no more no less. About 80h flying. Yes they pay for housing. Command time 20 years from now.

Have you dropped a zero there ol' boy? Or at least a leading "1"?

sirtobi
31st Jul 2008, 08:25
would any 1 year lufthansa FO mind posting his monthly take home before tax?

greetings

wheelie my boeing
31st Jul 2008, 09:39
Gammon Flaps,
BA DEP year 1 is £5500 before tax, or there abouts. Have heard of guys getting £6200/£6300 before.
SSP year 1 is £4200 before tax, or there abouts.

Homo Simpson
31st Jul 2008, 13:45
For comparison.

Air Traffic Controller Area/TMA Control UK

Top of the scale take home £4200 month minimum.
Add to that training / additional shifts etc and you can pull in over £5000 plus

Taiguin
31st Jul 2008, 18:22
Anyone any recent information on what you can expect to take home (net) as a FO on the TRSS shcheme with Easyjet? Someone has posted a SFO salary but was wondering what an FO would take too.

BTW...i knew i should have been an air traffic controller :ok:

cfwake
31st Jul 2008, 20:16
5 grand a month plus eh? reckon i'd make about 10 grand before i had a coronary...

800driver
1st Aug 2008, 09:07
LoCo TRE take home €8700pm, work my nuts off though :*

Viking
1st Aug 2008, 21:25
Southwest Airlines Capt.
Last year averaged $19,900 gross/mo. After 15% to retirement and the taxman I took home $11,200. Flew 740 hours. Looks like close to the same this year.

Passagiata
2nd Aug 2008, 05:38
I'm quite shocked - these airline wages sound negligently low to me, and I'd happily pay more for airline tickets to ensure decent wages (as well as decent maintenance). It sure sounds like corporate $queezing gone mad. I am a pretty junior govt public servant currently grossing close to the equivalent of $US 6000 a month - pretty much standard hours, eight-hour day, no stress, no everyday risk other than a 10 minute drive to work. Four weeks rec leave and four weeks personal/sick leave a year. There is something wrong here. Mind you, I am oppressed in a sick, self-serving, hierarchical system, and bored other than the occasional work gig that involves travel!

B747-800
2nd Aug 2008, 09:33
My wife takes it all and I only get my allowance!

RAPA Pilot
2nd Aug 2008, 10:13
Money isn't everything, it won't bring you happiness. It just means you can be miserable in comfort. As long as you've got a couple of quid left at the end of the week to play the lottery then thats fine.:p

Happy mech !
2nd Aug 2008, 13:00
Engineer take home £3500 a month.£4000 with a little overtime.

BigFootDriver
4th Aug 2008, 02:08
$12,000 USD after taxes. 25 yrs B-777-200IGW Capt for a really big US carrier.

Last yr gross was $200K (flew 430 hrs) and shrinking....sigh:ugh:

It sucks making less that a BA captain!

Shaka Zulu
4th Aug 2008, 09:00
I wouldnt say you made less than a BA Captain.
If you grossed 200k dollars for 430hrs then you've done rather well.
The average BA Captain is on 830-860hrs a year so following that logic, he should you be earning around 400k dollars. We most certainly are not in that league.

Same for the Southwest chap, fairly competitive.

DEP BA around £3500 net, which is roughly the industry average in the UK.

YYZ_Instructor
4th Aug 2008, 10:42
Any Flybe Captains to report wages? Salary and per diem for 2008?

Swamp76
5th Aug 2008, 09:49
All currencies were converted from various (USD,CAD,EUR,etc) to GBP to match the original post and for ease of comparison.

Virgin Captain (aircraft is irrelevent), 2nd year of command. Gross pay £8400. Net (after £1300 pension contributions, £2200 tax and £300 NI) £4600. Add to that around £600-£700 in allowances spent downroute. Add to the gross figure around £1300 company pension contribution, plus health insurance (both acute and critical illness) and loss-of-licence insurance.

Qatar Airways 5 year A330 Captain:

15,300 USD

Including Housing allowance, flight pay, per diems, loss of licence and medical insurance. 85Hrs per month on average. No Tax. No Pension. 12 salaries a year. This after our latest pay increase effective April 1st.

SK76 TRE, Africa (type isn't relevant)
GBP 4200 -ish
400-500 hr/year over the last 10, several types in that time. Averaged about 5 months/annum in my own bed.

...after tax/pension/benefits etc. I currently receive no per diem (and I will never consider these part of the pay packet, that's how one gets talked into taking less pay)

I added the quotes as they have reinforced my happiness with flying Sikorsky/Eurocopter products vice Airbus/Boeing.

Wingswinger,

One of my friends works at a bank were it is a dismissible offence to discuss wages.
Talk about keeping the common peasants in their place.

I think open discussion about who gets what and why can only help give us an idea of how badly (or well) off we are.

FIS.

...worked for an operator like that. We all posted our deals on the notice board in the crew room. The boss nearly exploded, but thought better.

have you noticed the wide disparity of annual hours flown vs total pay?

As low as 250 hrs per yr up to 1200:eek:

Anyone good at graphs can show hours against pay for the sample? Might make interesting reading for those bumping up to max hours.

At 250 hours a year I could do a window cleaning round too and really make money:ooh:

In many cases you aren't paid to fly. You are paid to be available and prepared to fly when the client needs it. It is a subtle but important difference when calculating the real work involved in the job.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Last but not least, everyone should remember what it took to get to this point. In 1990 I was making GBP 650 gross (not much tax on that) but steadily climbing. I made a career change and in 1999 it was a wopping GBP 1000 gross again. All flying

It is a long road to hoe and if one is considering it, remember the cost for the family and yourself to get to one of the positions you read about here.

bigmustard
5th Aug 2008, 11:17
BombardQ40Qier Q400 Captain

Q 400 Captain Paypoint

FY08/09

Bombardier Q400 First Officer

Q400 F/O Paypoint

FY08/09

+ £1.90 /hr Flight duty pay = £3000 - £3500

Turboprop TRI/TRE on Jet Salary + 16% advertised as a £90k package including pension contributions etc + flight pay

Turboprop line trainers on Jet Salary + 10% + flight pay

MMMMM! - that didn't paste too well!

wallypilot
6th Aug 2008, 18:09
Lear45 & CL604 - 605 FO Corporate Charter

salary
$3350 net per month FO year 1
$4700 net per month Capt year 1

+ up to 4% of gross pay in matched retirement savings (not pension, we don't have one)

away from home about 8 days per month, usually work a total of about 10 days per month.

Great company, fun flying, lots of time off (without taking vacation), great medical dental

Good schedule, and great people....

tflier
6th Aug 2008, 23:32
Working for Italian company on B737, this month $17000US, average for the summer. Plus 13 days off/month.........but must pay for own hotac. E-mail from wife says she is cutting my pocket money though!

crabe
10th Aug 2008, 15:58
captain on Air France, A320 family, TRI, flying for AF since 92 , captain since 2001
i take home 10000 euros a month, ALL taxes paid.
48 days vacation per year
750 flight hours a year
you can add 20% when graduating to long haul flights

Merkur74
11th Aug 2008, 22:28
New Captain 737NG AirTran Airways (5th year pay)
Average U.S $7500 take home plus 10.5% B fund and 15% 401k retirement plan.

SX737
12th Aug 2008, 11:05
After 8% contribution to my pension (added to the 7% of the company's) and 200£ paid towards share schemes I take home on a good month between 2,900£ and 3,100£. It used to be better when the pound was stronger to the euro!

Mungo Man
12th Aug 2008, 11:16
... 200£ paid towards share schemes I take home on a good month between 2,900£ and 3,100£...

Do you mean £200 (GBP) or 200€ (Euros)?

SX737
12th Aug 2008, 20:07
I mean actually £220 (GBP). Well last month with a block of leave and 49 block hours I got £2,740 so I estimate on a good month to be anywhere from £2,800 and £3,100 net.

flyaway777
13th Aug 2008, 12:59
737zaf,

Which scheme did you enter easyjet on? TRSS, Cadet or DEP. I would have thought a DEP SFO would get a bit more than that but I guess without the pension and share schemes you would have quite a bit more.

Im also an ezy UK based SFO and take home something between £3300 and £3500 usually. That is without the pension and share contributions though. And max hours!

Romeo India Xray
14th Aug 2008, 08:00
National Aviation Authority Inspector (E Europe)

560 GBP take home + first class health care and excellent subsistence when away. Total must come to more than an FR line training cadet :\

Add to this work as a freelance examiner (60 GBP per hour take home), consultant (50GBP per hour take home), instructor (40 GBP per hour take home) and lecturer (20 GBP per hour take home).

Total monthly earnings up to 2500 GBP plus benefits.

Stanley Eevil
15th Aug 2008, 06:49
RAF Training Captain/IRE/TRE - £4000 net per month.

BIKKERDENNAH
15th Aug 2008, 09:25
EMIRATES TRI/CAPT

APP 62000 dhs per month 14200 of that is housing allowance paying off the mortgage.. based on 75 hours flying with flight pay..

app 17000USD/month or 8600 GBP per month in my pay packet..

Any overtime above 78 block hours xtra 525 dhs per hour.. can earn xtra 500 GBP or 900USD per month..

not too bad but inflation here is a real kick in the guts..

Fareastdriver
16th Aug 2008, 01:01
68 year old offshore Eurocopter 332L captain in China.

£8,900 equiv/month net. 650hrs/annum, two months leave, no travel, no benefits apart from accident insurance and licence renewal.

(plus three pensions)

Khaosai
16th Aug 2008, 08:01
Hi,

EK captain in the left seat for 2.5 yrs.

Checked my annual NET salary from Aug 07 till July 08:

500,562 Dhs or 41713 dhs per month.

Equates to 136,393 USD or 11366 USD per month.

Rgds.

gengis
16th Aug 2008, 08:56
Khaosai, that's a GREAT profile name you got there....

:D;)

hunterboy
16th Aug 2008, 08:59
Just filled in my tax return for the last year.....BA Longhaul with about 750 hours last year....140K UK Pounds Net. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm here for the pension.
edited to add I've just read my post about the pension and realise I've turned into the guys I used to fly with when I first joined

teamilk&sugar
16th Aug 2008, 09:35
hunterboy

I hope you meant £140k GROSS.

If it's net, you are on £200k+ a year...!!

Anyway, even if it is £140k net...
Not much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm here for the pension.

...are you taking the pi$$....!!

wheelie my boeing
16th Aug 2008, 11:23
He does probably mean 140k net... Very achievable at BA.

16th Aug 2008, 19:13
Hunterboy.Kno what you mean........Golden Handcuff!!!Pisser for the £5000 a month + 2pounds an hour gang though

hunterboy
17th Aug 2008, 07:10
Oh dear...I did wonder before posting. I'm one of Gordons' expats that have voted with my feet and live on the continent...so the 140k is net. I enjoy my job, but realise it isn't the be all and end all. I want to spend more time with the family and enjoy more time at home. I look at my neighbours who earn as much, if not more than me.If I could change the decisions I made 20 years ago, I probably might....As I posted earlier, I probably would have changed career or direction, but since I'm 42 and final salary pensions are no-more (in the UK) I'm pretty well trapped at BA. BA know this, of course, which is why they nibble away slowly at the workforce. In answer to your question...no, i'm not taking the piss.I just wish more of my UK colleagues would hold out for the proper rate for the job. Judging by some of the earlier posts, the job of piloting has gone from being a professional job to a vocational job. I sat next to the Chairman of Goldman Sachs several years ago who expressed amazement at the low salaries of flight crew in BA. "Our secretaries earn more than that" were his words. Perhaps we need more self esteem, or more importantly, the collective will to say to airline owners/mgmt "pay us a salary commensurate with the responsibilities of the job"....and not what the "market" will bear.

hedgehog-in-fog
17th Aug 2008, 15:31
Siberia/S7 Airlines
FI/SFI 9000USD/mo
Vacation (paid) 70days/annum-the reason to stay home.
Cold though :sad:

tocamak
17th Aug 2008, 16:17
Around £5300 per month net working as Capt + Line Trainer for shorthaul european operation with an Franco/Dutch parent.

Perhaps we need more self esteem, or more importantly, the collective will to say to airline owners/mgmt "pay us a salary commensurate with the responsibilities of the job"....and not what the "market" will bear.

There are very few jobs where this happens as witness the disparity in premiership footballers and hospital doctors pay as a rather cliche example but there are plenty of others. £140k a year for no ongoing responsibility once you sign the tech log (allowing for preparation for prof checks or training duties etc) is pretty good going.

charliegolf
17th Aug 2008, 18:15
Captain of a small primary school in Wales:

I get c£3000 per month net, however hard I work; required to work 195 days per year, all Mon to Fri. Can book my hols 10 years in advance; and it funds my PPL habit nicely.:ok:

CG

flash8
17th Aug 2008, 18:48
737 FO Central Europe
Approx $4500 USD month + Benefits = approx $6000 USD

Monty77
17th Aug 2008, 19:30
And that, charliegolf, is why you will live to a ripe old age, enjoy grandchildren, and not die 2 years after receiving a great pension. SPEND IT.

charliegolf
17th Aug 2008, 19:39
Monty,

Have you been rooting through my 'Secret Plans' file?:=

Seriously, i did a few years as RAF non-pilot aircrew, and clearly remember the anecdotes about premature twigg-falling at or about pension time! That and family considerations did it for me, but I still miss flying professionally.

CG

sidewinder1224
18th Aug 2008, 12:46
F/O turbo prop S/E Asia 1,100Euro/month 80hours/month.

afroace
18th Aug 2008, 17:50
How do you mean mid-fleet FO?. No such terms in my airline.

helicoptertestpilot
19th Aug 2008, 19:24
Would appreciate if any of the rotary wing guys would also pipe up. In fact, if some of the "FL 350" types were to ask around also and post, it would be greatly appreciated. Of course, the rotary wing scene is quite different for charters, off-shore, EMS, Law enforcement etc., but any info would be welcome.......Happy Landings

daviddea
21st Aug 2008, 23:20
Air Astana LCC Capt. contract expat first year 6 weeks on 2 weeks off full month per diem plus year end bonus 8900 Euros month

Dentist
22nd Aug 2008, 09:46
Wizz Air, LCC eastern europe. A320 Captan, 6 days on 4 off, 3330 Euro a month plus 60-87 euro per sector plus 8% health contribution paid directly to me. Av 40-50 sectors a month. Pay is Brutto.
Cheers

ghandou
22nd Aug 2008, 09:51
Oil Field Consultant - Currently living in the Middle East. GB£150,000 PA, tax free, 4 bed house paid for with a pool, car paid, private school for the kids, GB£15 per diem everyday outside the UK, all expenses paid..........and I'm giving it all up for the love of flying :ugh: Will be looking for an airline job early next year....God help me :ok:

Chinesewhispers
22nd Aug 2008, 11:19
9800 USD per month
Line Training Captain
7% company pension contribution
6 weeks on 6 weeks off
Travel to & from Nigeria from anywhere in the world included
Accommodation & living expenses at work included
Armed escort to and from work included!!

Nigeria is not for the faint hearted. Most of us are there for either the money or the time off or both.
The work and living conditions vary depending on location. Some good, some terrible.
Pay review in the offing but we are not expecting any more than inflation.

Any takers?

Rubis
24th Aug 2008, 07:17
That would be before the ScabBus, ScareBus, SkyBus, Independent JetStream drivers, ex-Indigo guys showed up and agreed to work just a free pair of knickers. Yeah Tulio.

hunterboy
24th Aug 2008, 08:26
ghandou..... stay where you are!! if flying is in yor blood, just hire an aeroplane! Flying is much nicer sitting in 1A.

Cloud Bunny
24th Aug 2008, 09:02
Oil Field Consultant - Currently living in the Middle East. GB£150,000 PA, tax free, 4 bed house paid for with a pool, car paid, private school for the kids, GB£15 per diem everyday outside the UK, all expenses paid..........and I'm giving it all up for the love of flying :ugh: Will be looking for an airline job early next year....God help me http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

My God man you are absolutely insane. I can understand your enthusiasm when the bug bites hard - I would have said I'd give up everything to fly when I was a wannabe, but now if someone offered me your deal and I wouldn't be allowed to touch an aeroplane for the rest of my life - I'd be there in a heartbeat. Work to live, not the other way round.
Job swap?!! :}
Good luck though :ok:

no sponsor
24th Aug 2008, 12:50
Ghandou,

You must be mad. I've already given up the well paid job, and it is not worth it, no matter what the view is.

Airline Job next year? Do you not receive newspapers where you live? There won't be any - there aren't many right now, even for the very experienced.

ghandou
24th Aug 2008, 14:27
I have a question, it took me 10 years to get to where I am today with my current job, if I flew for an airline, what would my salary prospects be after 10 years with the same company? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anywhere close to what I get now, but I've realised it's not always about the money (cheesy but true).

For some bizarre reason I feel I have to justify myself here. I hate my current profession, I've sacrificed so much in my years to get to where I am, spending months at sea, being away from family and friends, not sleeping for days on end, the list goes on. But I did it because it allowed me to pay for my flying. I've since moved into a managerial position, and yes I get all the benefits as mentioned above, but it's STILL not what I want to do.

I know what I'm doing is not logical, but you were all in my position at one time. Not every pilot is miserable up on the flight deck, not every pilot hates his job. It was all a dream of yours at some point in your life, not only to fly, but to be in control of that big shiny airliner. I could be embarking on the biggest mistake of my life, but I wouldn't be the first, and like many before me, it's a risk that I'm willing to take.

As for the chance of not getting a job (as mentioned by 'No Sponsor' the patronizing doof above), doesn't every pilot face the same problem when they start or at some point in their career? The way I think is that's just part of a flying career, as with any other career.

ChocksAwayUK
24th Aug 2008, 14:58
ghandou, I disagree with the previous respondees to your post and, like you, believe that it doesn't matter how much you get paid if you really don't like your job. I'm not totally sure what an oil contractor does but I'm fairly certain I'd take my current job as an FO over the job, T&Cs and location that you describe. Most of us love it, despite what you read on here (at least in my airline). Whatever floats your boat of course, some people will do anything for money.

To try to answer your question: it really depends on where you end up, but 10 years in a company on a jet and you should have a command. Including flight pay etc you might be looking at around £100k gross (or just short of) in a Lo-Co, a bit more in a 'flag carrier'. There are a few variables of course, but that's 'ball park' and in today's terms.

ghandou
24th Aug 2008, 15:08
Thanks Chocks, I knew someone had to think like me! The maths isn't difficult really, 150k for a job you hate, or 100k for a job you love? I know which one I'm going for.

Thanks again for you post, very encouraging :O

Viking101
24th Aug 2008, 16:01
SFO London based on the 737 about 800hrs/years £3200 per month.

It all goes to my wifes account. She says its normal.

:}

itcameoffinmyhand
24th Aug 2008, 16:58
police pilot, TRI/TRE IR 2800GBP monthly net.
Final sal pension 7% contribution
Approx 220 hrs per year
Last year workrd 142 days
Am very tired

hunterboy
24th Aug 2008, 17:55
Ghandou...Sorry to sound like a damp squib, but I really would think twice about changing jobs. Many of us do like our flying jobs, but read my post above and realise I'm very lucky. Much like yourself in you job. It took me about 10 years to get where I am. I am able to pick the days I work and more or less where I go. I was lucky to be able to put up with all the crap when I was young and single. If you have a family, being junior in an airline will bring a lot of stress on you and your family.Try putting up with it whilst paying for your type rating and living on 30K a year. If you are lucky and land a plum job, you may pull in 100K after 10 years, but will be tired earning it. You will probably be away from home for much of it.
As a previous poster mentioned, I would swap jobs with you tomorrow and I'm a 777 pilot working 14 days a month. There really is more to life than flying aeroplanes. Work to live.

sidewinder1224
27th Aug 2008, 13:39
1,100euro turbo prob f/o 80hrs average southeast asia.

Lym Pix
28th Aug 2008, 00:31
UK Charter. LHS. Worked over my July leave so August pay packet was well above my norm.

£8200 after tax, pension and share saving scheme.

Normal range between £4500 and £6500. (Higher end is on detachment.)

reverserunlocked
28th Aug 2008, 08:47
Captain of a UK breakfast radio show. 4 hours per day on air, a couple of hours preparation time - Mon-Fri, 2 hours on Sunday. No pension, 4 weeks a year off paid + bank holidays in lieu if worked. Two year contract. No guarantee of renewal. Approx £4500 gross, do my own tax so put as many costs into my return as possible. Gotta rush, I need some more gold-plated paperclips @ £50 each.....:cool:

XXPLOD
28th Aug 2008, 10:54
I've reached a similar conclusion. My salary as a police Inspector puts me on a par with what a Captain with Flybe earns in their first few years of command.

I could afford the training. The killer is earning nowt whilst you do it, plus a paycut, and let's not mention giving up the pension of two thirds final salary on retirement at 51. Add the current job market in to the mix and it's not a goer.

I have a mad idea I could do my ATPL when I retire. Arguably I could give an company such as Flybe/Eastern/similar up to 9 years service. Too old for a second career?

Happy Wanderer
28th Aug 2008, 11:43
Realistically? I would say it depends on the job market when it comes to retirement. If someone was applying NOW at that stage, prospects may be slim. As an older applicant myself (but not yet 51 ;)) I would advise you to think what about you're prepared to sacrifice to obtain your fATPL. Financial security is a huge part of the problem, so if that's sorted, then it may be worth a punt. I've talked to a few guys within the regionals (Eastern, bmi, Titan etc) and tsome do seem to look favourably on the 2nd-career types, so who knows.

HW

XXPLOD
28th Aug 2008, 22:20
Cheers HW!
At least I'll probably have 1500+ hours by then, albeit PPL flying!

exeng
28th Aug 2008, 23:10
Too old for a second career?

Probably I'm afraid to say. PM me if you want more details on why I think that is the case.

Regards
Exeng

pablo
29th Aug 2008, 03:42
Hi Guys / Chaps / Ladies,

I think you didn't understand XXPLOD. In his profile he says he is 32, it's just that he mentioned that as police inspector he hits retirement at 51.

Well... just my humble opinion, but... in your case... probably you are still on time to change career but... if you have a good salary and don't hate your present job, why risking?

I don't know... I'm 25, started integrated ATPL at 18. I'm currently working as instructor and I love the job, and I think that I have good chances of joining an airline in 1-2-3 years, and meanwhile keep on instructing, but... sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't have been a better idea to do as some of my friends: get an university degree, eventually find a good job and just fly on the weekends for the fun of it.

Well... getting back on topic:

Flight instructor in Phoenix, AZ with European school. US$1800/month (circa 1200 Euro/month) netto. Accomodation is paid (nice shared apartment, in a complex with pool, gym and spa) and 2x economy tickets/yr (return) to that place called home. 80-90hrs/month flying.
Second year pay gets a lot better (around $2500/E1600), plus $10k bonus on 24th month being part of the family.
Pay on first year isn't that great because they pay your FAA licenses plus salary meanwhile you get them.

I absolutely love the place and the company. Decent airplanes (I'm not such a Piper fan, dunno why), great maintenance, generous effort on flight safety and staff/management are great people. I can't complain!

Regards / Pablo

mikew66
1st Sep 2008, 19:14
Dear Ghandou,

Only you can decide what is good for you. I did it 1 year ago, with 2kids and a stablr life, decent earnings. I new I wanted to fly since early childhood.
Making the decision was hard, first few weeks I felt maybe I had made a mistake.
Now I wouldn't change my flying job for anything. Sometimes I even wonder if it happens for real, flying i nice shiny business jet to wonderful places.
Good luck and may I suggest that you listen to yourself for the best advice !:ok:

pablo
1st Sep 2008, 21:01
Off-topic:

IMveryHO... is it worth so much effort and risk for just a job? If we like flying (myself included)... why isn't/wasn't enough to get a PPL and fly for fun on weekends?
And honestly... financially, for me, so far, has been a kick in the b@lls, and I guess for the average person is the same situation. How long does it take until you break even, in the lucky scenario that you find a good job? For me... it will take around 5-6 yrs more (if I'm lucky) (10-12 yrs in total since I got the license). Maybe if I took another path... yes... I would not like my job so much, but... I would be able to go on holidays, have a new car (instead of a '91) and mostly... wouldn't have the weight of such a huge amount of money so young.

I don't mean to put-off anyone with this but... my experience so far has been quite negative, and yes... now I like my job, but wasn't worth all that I had to go through IMHO. You can reach other jobs with good lifestyle other ways.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I think it's better to give a reasonably negative version of the story in these cases, along with the positive thoughts.

Just my 0,02

cheers / Pablo

flaps to 60
1st Sep 2008, 22:18
Ghandou

If i earned what you do now even with a zero or two added i would drop it all in an instant for what i do now.

Too many people on this site who are not in LOVE enough with what they do or flying hasnt lived up to what they expected and expect others to be as downbeat and negative as they are.

Go for it

Its better to be up there looking down wondering whats down below than looking up wishing you were there.

Sure the industry is shakey sure you might not get a job straight away on falling out of flying school....you might not even ever get a job but at least you would have tried.

Here's an example of what you'd be missing.

Took off the other night from Gatwick on a brookmans park departure to Iceland. It was a beautifly clear night and was given an early left turn right over the centre of london. WHAT A VIEW The london eye Leicester Square Buckingham Place the river thames you name we could see it. Further north a beautiful moon rise that started a deep red colour and just got brighter. going further north we chased what little light was left for nearly three hours and the stars and milky way were stunning.

Thats just the views. The thrill of standing up the throttles and hurtling down a concrete strip and hoofing it off the deck into busy airspace to then try and grease it at the other end is better than.....well......SEX (almost):ok:

Ghandou

You have a choice, go for it or not. Which ever you chose just make sure that you really want it. If you dont then a life of possibly saying I wish I... I wonder what.....What would I..... untill the day you die.

If you do then note it aint gonna be easy either passing the course or getting a job but when you do F**k me its worth it.

I wish you the very best of luck and from a personal point of view and some friendly advice JUST DO IT you wont regret it for a second.

ps £3500 pm

pablo
2nd Sep 2008, 00:11
Well...

The thrill of standing up the throttles and hurtling down a concrete strip and hoofing it off the deck into busy airspace to then try and grease it at the other end is better than.....well......SEX (almost)
I agree completely, but isn't it the same flying a nice 172 a saturday or sunday with a few buddies?
Maybe you should find another partner for the sex thing, I don't think too much people would agree with you on that one!:E

Sure the industry is shakey sure you might not get a job straight away on falling out of flying school....you might not even ever get a job but at least you would have tried.

Are you being realistic or negative?

Too many people on this site who are not in LOVE enough with what they do or flying hasnt lived up to what they expected and expect others to be as downbeat and negative as they are.
I hope you don't say it because of what I said. I love flying, I have a good time (many of us do), but I just say it isn't sooooo goooood as to go through such finnancial difficulties and so much trouble. What's bad about having a PPL and flying for fun on days off?
Besides... someone that doesn't content himself with his present career and his own life is someone negative enough by himself. Do you think he will be able to put up with all the difficulties of becoming a pilot and finding a job? Don't you think that warning him would be a good idea?

Cheers / Pablo

Boingboingdriver
2nd Sep 2008, 11:51
8-10 500 Euro Net/Month depending of scheduled hours flown.(between 80 and 95)
Cpt 737.

flaps to 60
2nd Sep 2008, 12:53
Bonas dias Pablo

I agree completely, but isn't it the same flying a nice 172 a saturday or sunday with a few buddies?

Not in the slightest. In a 172 et al YOUR paying the bills. In a commercial job someones paying you and with a reasonable career path quite handsomely

Are you being realistic or negative?

If you highlighted the last bit of the post you will notice but at least you would have tried. and that really is the crux of my argument. Surely its better to go through life saying at least i gave it a shot. I'm very aware that the state of our industry is in the ****e and have known people who tried and either gave up or never got a foot in the door but they can go to their grave never wondering what if i took that first step. So i would like to think that im being realisticaly positive.

What's bad about having a PPL and flying for fun on days off?

There's nothing bad about flying for fun on a PPL and for some that is all they want to do and i say good luck.

For others they want to fly above the clouds (up to FL410 in my machine which id like to see a 172 do) or on bad wx days or across the oceans for a few days off on a beach or work with fellow professionals including cabin crew. Dealing with the many manifold problems that working for an airline can bring. Flying something bigger than a four seater with one engine or for the simple pleasure as mentioned earlier of someone else paying for your hobby.

The list is endless of the pleasures of flying commercially and im fully aware that someone will come along and give a thousand reasons why its bad. But to them i say i dont care as the problems are only challenges to be overcome and if you hate it that mouch you obviously are in the wrong job. Move and and give the likes of Ghandou a shot and an oportunity to moan if he want.

I hope you don't say it because of what I said

Not at all. Its a general statement from what ive read on PPrune and what i've seen out and about. For some their expectations of flying are never met as the dream is sometimes let down by the reality. If thats the case then i say move on. For some the money is never enough the cc aren't putting out or the uniform is rubbish or the hotels are crap etc etc etc. The moaners in this game are never happy and all they like is the sound of their own voice whining and moaning but never come up with the answer to a problem.

Maybe you should find another partner for the sex thing, I don't think too much people would agree with you on that one!

I did say almost:cool: Even tough my missus thinks im having an affair with my a/c. Sad i know but i am an AEROsexual.

PS PS over the busy periods £4300pm take home

Pilotinmydreams
2nd Sep 2008, 13:17
£2200pm take home working about 65 hours per week when you include travelling to work and back. Wish I had the money to train to do what you guys do as i'm damn sure that I would love your job more than I do mine.

johnnybgoode
2nd Sep 2008, 15:39
South African Contractor: Capt B190C Kabul, Afghanistan £32400pa or £2700pm 4months off a year. No benefits - except for flying at 20ft of the deck down the Afghan Highway through the desert.:E

pablo
2nd Sep 2008, 16:24
Flaps60,

Ms. Flaps is going to receive an anonymus regarding the affair you have with ur a/c.

I agree with you in many points, the job itself is great and problem solving... I love it too, is that... either some people doesn't see that way and some other people can't find a job or takes them too long. Why not warning them?

Still... I disagree with the "at least you tried" thing, although on the other side, to be honest, most people that keep on trying end up finding a way. Even though instructing isn't well paid it's a great way to start.

Agree with you on the negative thing about Pprune, sometimes is daunting reading around here. Thought you were saying it because of my comments. When I'm negative at least I try to elaborate, but... agree that most people here is just negative for the sake of it.

Anyway... time to move on. Keep 'em coming!

Cheers / Pablo

Plane Dumb
3rd Sep 2008, 15:23
Zero!!!

was SFO for Zoom
:(

Monty77
5th Sep 2008, 18:01
I admire the enthusiasm for aviation by all who post on here.

If you are young enough, military aviation will satisfy your needs. There really is nothing quite like ripping about the UK at low level. At 50 feet for rotary mates. 250 for fast movers. I do miss it.

GBP6000 per month net, instructional, home every night. Wife and kids love it. Not Saudi, Middle East and liberal. Not coming back to UK any time soon.

Shlarm47
8th Sep 2008, 10:08
I work in London, banking industry, age 33, married with one child. I work a very social 8:30 - 5:30. However the commute kills me. I travel some 90 miles to work daily, with a total daily commute of 3:30hrs (on a good day) which usually results in not being able to see my child until the weekend.

My issue is the associated costs with getting to work, over £6.5k per annum season ticket..... that's over £10k gross! Obviously reducing my disposable income, but if you want a cheaper, larger house and wish to live outside of the capital you're somewhat tied.

Gross income £45k (excl bonus which isn't looking good for this year!). Net income after tax, NI, pension etc is £2,400. This excludes the £550 per month cost of travel to work.

I would love to have a career change and have looked at the Modular route. I've already saved £15k but unfortunately my wife has stated that she wouldn't agree to support the career change to commercial pilot although she is supportive about a new career in the RAF (ground role as I'm too old)...... confused?????? :ugh:

3Greens
8th Sep 2008, 16:34
get a new wife??

King Chav
8th Sep 2008, 19:16
£126 Child Benefit per month :eek:

HELP !

ghandou
15th Sep 2008, 19:57
Flaps To 60 I 100% agree with you. There is no way for an instance I would now give up my life time dream just because of what a few people say here. I can't believe some of the PM's I get telling me basically how stupid I am, some of them quite nasty! I was wishing that I had never posted here in the first place because it can be quite demotivating listening to so many people try and put you off, but after reading what you had to say, I'm glad I did post here.

It surprises me how people keep saying if you love flying then rent an aircraft at the weekends. Hobby flying and flying for a living don't compare in my eyes. It is true that I do love hobby flying and buzzing around in light aircraft, but surely every pilot has dreamt about flying an airliner? Well, even if they haven't....I have! My love of flying doesn't just stop at light aircraft, I would much rather fly something with a jet engine!

I was also encouraged by what MikeW66 wrote, thanks for that mate. Just goes to show it is possible, and even if I might be making a huge sacrifice, to me that sacrifice is worth it to fly.

As Flaps To 60 says, even if it all goes completely t*ts up, at least I tried. I can always fall back into my old job if need be (as much as I hate it), but it's definitly worth a try!

Cheers guys,

Ghandou

condorbaaz
19th Sep 2008, 14:04
ghandou

Remember Its your life and if you think that you want to fly ... so be it.

You make a choice and live with the consequences. If you want to fly go ahead and do it. but please do not live in the past viz 'I used to be at 150000 a year etc.."

You know by now what many people would think of you in a multi crew cockpit.

But Go ahead and make your life yours...

( Try asking what your family honestly thinks of it as well )

Whippersnapper
23rd Sep 2008, 16:05
Remember that most of us start with the same zeal as Flaps To 60, but after a few years' being pushed about by managers with half your IQ, the lack of a social life (from working nights, weekends and public holidays), not seeing your kids for days or weeks on end, dealing with incompetent security staff, ignorant passengers or thick colleagues, the whole industry loses its appeal. The flying remains good for most, but the crap that surrounds it makes it un-worthwhile if you can earn similar money another way.

ghandou
27th Sep 2008, 18:49
Condorbaaz, how I might conduct myself on the flight deck was not origianlly part of this conversation, and quite frankly I find what you've written offensive. Maybe what you write is how you conduct yourself, but don't assume for a minute people are like you. Also do you not think I've already spoken to my family about what they think? Do you think this is something that I've decided to do at the drop of a hat because I like the sound of flying?

What Whippersnapper writes sounds like a walk in the park compared to what I've been through in my current job, but I do know what you mean, the love of a job can easily be extinguished by management and people who have nothing better to do than make your life hell.

Anyways, my small off the cuff remark seems to have totally hijacked this thread. Sorry mods....now can we please continue on topic!

Farfrompuken
27th Sep 2008, 23:54
Shlarm47,

I say go for it! Despite being one of the world's grumpiest whingiest aircrew, I feel there are few better ways to earn your money other than being a porn star.

Flaps to 60,

Thanks for your post; a nice reminder why we do this job. Sometimes you lose the wood for the trees, but you can't lose the fact that we're up there and the rest of the world aint and they're not seeing those views/special moments.

For the Thread:

RAF ME Capt. Hrs Unknown, don't count. Pay, no Idea. Don't (can't!) count.:ok:

WhyFlare
29th Sep 2008, 11:42
People like u bring the standards and QOL down for the rest. U would fly a multi million dollar aircraft with that level of responsiblity... for min wage??? I love flying my ass of too but let keep the job respectable....:ugh:

Farfrompuken
29th Sep 2008, 18:57
Whyflare,

If you're referring to me (which isn't clear whether you are), I'm not sure how you got the impression that I'd fly for min wage.

I don't and I wouldn't!

However you don't join the Military for money, you join it for the quality flying. Quite how that affects anyone's quality of life is beyond me!

ranbi2e
13th May 2009, 07:36
1y FO. 900h/year
$10.000/month with the worst roster in the world

salsaboy
18th May 2009, 11:44
Just out of interest do you get any accomodation, staff travel deals etc...

also when you say the 'worst roster in the world', whats it like and do you get much time off to 'pop' anywhere? (says 42 days leave on website)

cheers

Damianik
16th Jun 2009, 00:01
year 1 FO, in 1 month will be 50% of salary due to redundancy, maybe 1800 euros basic plus benefits till recalled.

East is better? uhm....

D

I'm Off!
16th Jun 2009, 14:25
Zero - Was made redundant last month. Wish I was getting 50% of a salary ;-(

betpump5
16th Jun 2009, 14:56
SFO 744

Converting my salary to the good 'ole blighty quid currency, its usually around £5'500 pcm depending on the exchange rate.

But we are talking about $8500 a month.

poina
17th Jun 2009, 17:16
Saudia, 19 yrs, check airman 13% override. My salary was capped (no more 3% per year). 16000+ per month, 13 salaries per yr, 1 month end of contract per yr of service after 5 yrs. Housing paid, health ins paid, school paid, utilities paid except phone. One of the best in the industry moneywise, livingwise? They're hiring, Good Luck

t-star
22nd Jun 2009, 14:14
Train driver

Average take home pay £2950 per month for a 35 hour week, Sundays are extra, 35 days paid leave a year, Final salary pension, Free UK and discounted European rail travel.

tfly737
23rd Jun 2009, 16:01
that is ridiculous!

hunterboy
23rd Jun 2009, 16:09
Why is it ridiculous? Perhaps because they don't have "drivers" spending their own money to get a job? It just shows how the profession of pilots has fallen in recent times. Many people have commented on how senior Captains earn about 100k a year now, which is about the same as they were earning 20 years ago.
We only have ourselves to blame.

lexxie747
23rd Jun 2009, 18:49
Come on girls and boys, we are flying, who gives a toss howmuch we are earning? its never enough, but we love the job, anyone saying its not true is not a real aviator.

G-AWZK
23rd Jun 2009, 19:19
Come on girls and boys, we are flying, who gives a toss howmuch we are earning? its never enough, but we love the job, anyone saying its not true is not a real aviator.

...and that is why pilots T&Cs will continue to be eroded.

Caudillo
23rd Jun 2009, 20:06

I do, so I'm not and I don't mind at all.

omaaa
23rd Jun 2009, 22:05
Afriqiyah FO end of the year! (A319/20) 4-5000 LYD a month starting (tax free)
aprox £2500 month living expenses in libya next to nothing!

Knee Trembler
24th Jun 2009, 07:20

:yuk:

----------

Joe le Taxi
24th Jun 2009, 07:27
I think a ;) was the intention.

Never take a Cloggie seriously.

lexxie747
24th Jun 2009, 14:21
thanks joe le T
at least someone picked up......

kiliwizz
25th Jun 2009, 15:59
Aerospace engineer/physicist, working in EMC/lightning protection, 17 years experience, top professional grade, £1600 per month net.

Should have been a plumber.

phillipsmw
26th Jun 2009, 08:40
Yr 2 FO B733

Net Basic approx GBP 1800
Net Sector pay approx GBP 18 per block hour

pintofstella
26th Jun 2009, 10:34
A380 Capt, 14 years, 50.000dhs a month inc approx 75 flying hours pay(= about 8300 uk pounds a month), free accom, subsidised schooling and utilities for time being.

Boeingbuddy
26th Jun 2009, 11:39
777F Captain based in LEJ. Around 9000 Euros after Tax plus per Diem.

lovezzin
26th Jun 2009, 12:26

White Sausage
26th Jun 2009, 21:00
Can´t believe it either. Maybe he confused GROSS and NET? 9000 NET per month would mean roughly 15 to 17 GROSS. Hard to believe... I used to work for another company in LEJ and the pay was maybe half of that (and this only thanks to my superior taxman cheating abilities :ok:)

WSOp bloke
26th Jun 2009, 22:36
RAF Air Engineer, £3500 per month. No mortgage, looking forward to a pension of about £32000 a year plus approx £100000 gratuity when I leave in a couple of years at age 55.

ARENDIII
26th Jun 2009, 23:19
Just be thankful that you have a job at this stage.

I am happy that I still am in steady employnent right now.
When you pray at night, remember to acknowledge that you have had a reasonably good day.
Arend III.

ARENDIII
26th Jun 2009, 23:26
Hi,
I loved ya guys!
Good airplanes all the time.
What now?
Arend III.?

Pies
27th Jun 2009, 07:28
DHC8 400 Captain
UK Regional Airline
£3200 ish a month net, depending on flight pay!

Liftdumper
27th Jun 2009, 07:59
Capt A320 Spanish low-cost airline:
Between 6600 and 7200 euro net, depending on flight hrs.

Boeingbuddy
27th Jun 2009, 08:28
Sorry guys. Its net after taxes. No training position just line pilot.
In Germany we have an agreement that a part of your salary is
tax free . So round about 20 percent is tax free and for the rest
it depents if you are single or married. That means if you have
13100 gross you end with 9000 cash.
:ok:

Boeingbuddy
27th Jun 2009, 08:34
Just forgot one thing . You must deduct your health insurance
from the above figures.

B767PL
27th Jun 2009, 20:07
About 22,000$ a year net.

2nd year DHC-8 100 & 300 F.O

U.S Regional, on reserve, with QOL almost non-existant and about to get furloughed October.

Welcome to todays glamourous life of being an airline pilot. Where the guy behind you will always do your job for less. :yuk:

Stanley Eevil
27th Jun 2009, 21:06
RAF Training Captain. £4100 per month net.

pez1
2nd Jul 2009, 15:16
Major UK airline Licensed Aircraft Engineer, type rated on multiple Airbus and Boeing types.
Monthly net £3200-£3700 (varies depending on o/t and expenses each month).

Currently half way through fATPL training. Looking like no real prospects of jobs for the forseeable future, and when they do appear, a likely hefty pay drop!
Oh for the love of flying!

merch
3rd Jul 2009, 12:48
VLCC Master - £73,000 a year no tax paid as out of the country 50% of the time
Merch

scorpilot
4th Jul 2009, 11:48
Line Captain on A 320, total jet pic 1500
take home at 60 hrs ...6500 USD

LSGG
4th Jul 2009, 16:31
1st year captain on a learjet.
One week on, one week off
5100 Euros net after tax a month. Salary times 13
Plus average 600 euros monthly allowance

White_Eagle
7th Jul 2009, 11:15
Hi everyone,

can someone please tell me, how the salary for a fresh cadet with 200h TT after the type rating looks like?
I know about ppjn.com but cannot file one definite figure.:ugh:

Please, from some recent examples:D

Thanks in advance!

underread east
8th Jul 2009, 09:47
White Eagle. I think you'll find 200TT pilot in present climate takes home exactly (insert currency) 0.00pcm

A very challenging time for all, and suspect that very few if any cadets will be taken on anywhere in the foreseeable.:{

Clandestino
8th Jul 2009, 22:20
June was my first month in SE Europe based DHC-8 Q400 LHS. Net + per diems was 2983,64€.

papazulu
8th Jul 2009, 22:51
basic 2,100 EUR
sector pay approx. 1,500 EUR monthly

net monthly 3,600 EUR
net annual 43,200 EUR

career change?

All this at the age of...24? Forgive me but...are u f...ing joking or what? Spare a minute for those that have been grounded for months or are earning (less) than half of it!

PZ :E

flufdriver
8th Jul 2009, 23:32
Very interesting topic, but at the end of the day it is not what you get paid, rather it is about what kind of life that buys you and how much you have left at the end of the year!
Me; Northwest Caribbean, 30 years with company, 73 Capt. $12K a month, no real pension, high cost of living environment leaves me with about $ 30K at the end of year and the US Dollar is going to hell in a basket!

Yes I’m better off then many, but I’m a Pilot, so I’ll bitch anyway, its certainly not as good as it used to be!
:}

FlyingOW
9th Jul 2009, 19:33
1st year A320/319 Capt (upgraded in Feb, 6th year in company).

Net monthly basic 4K USD for 70 hrs
Net yearly basic 60K USD (15 salaries/yr)
After 30% income tax and 10% pension contribution.....

Not bad but certainly not great!

OW

boundarylayer99
9th Jul 2009, 20:23
Citation Excel Captain, full time, bring home pay after tax £1600, no pension, no perks or flight pay. :uhoh::uhoh: Been paid same amount for 3 years with no rise.:sad:

GEORDIEPILOT
9th Jul 2009, 21:03
Newly employed left seat on turboprop in Switzerland. Take home circa 4300 pounds thanks to exchange rate.

Beautiful country, gorgeous women but high cost of living. Starting to think that maybe, just maybe, there are nicer places to live than the North East of England.

5 weeks ago I was on 92 pounds a week dole money - I hope all you recently laid off guys out there get lucky as I did, and get back into work soon.

Boeingbuddy
10th Jul 2009, 17:15
No its less. ca 400€. It depends if you have a private insurance or you
take the gesetzliche insurance. If you have a family under your cover I think it is better to have the gesetzliche insurance , but I have no Idea how much the rate is. If you are on your own it is better to have the
private insurance.

Rote_8
14th Jul 2009, 20:24
Can I ask what is your company / ac type?

Please feel free to pm me if you don't want to post on open thread.

Best regards,

R_8

Coto
9th Oct 2009, 22:42
A330 First officer(5 years)- 3500 to 4200 net monthly

Average 3 flights a month, 40 days leave per year. Health insurance for me, my wife and kids. 13th and 14th month paid(Christmas and holidays). Parking space paid. Good working environment and conditions. Upgrade to captain looks a long way from where i stand.

beauport potato man
10th Oct 2009, 09:02
sounds like flybaboo to me.

Lord.Yo
9th Feb 2010, 09:28
F/O Tyrolean Airways 4th year on CRJ

2900-3100 EURO / month NET, average 60hrs flown per month, included allowances (on average 6 nights away from home). Plus 13 / 14. sallary, no tax. Equalls 43.000 Euro/p.a

Fixed roster, 10 days off/month, requests to fly on days off(paid extra).

Norman Stanley Fletcher
9th Feb 2010, 22:14
Training Captain easyJet. £5700 Sterling per month. In addition the company puts 7% into my pension fund each month and I put £375 into the various share buying schemes. Finally I receive a 10% 'loyalty bonus' payout of around £4200 once per year. If you were to average that out over the year and not put anything into the share schemes it would be around £6200 per month + 7% into the pension scheme.

stansdead
9th Feb 2010, 22:23
But, if unlike NSF, you're a new easyJet starter (I'm not) you can expect an hourly rate similar to an unskilled job.

And massive debt.

However, BALPA will sort it out..........................

Lovely.

berserker
9th Feb 2010, 22:38
B200 first officer(1st year). 7 on, 7 off, 7 on, 14 off. Averaging about 3000 euros net pr month. Great benefits, LOL and so on.

White Sausage
10th Feb 2010, 06:30
5 years Captain with Emirates, net roughly 8000 Euros, plus accommodation plus driver plus utilities (capped now) plus health insurance.
Sounds good, BUT:
Crappy lifestyle, 7 to 8 OFF days a month, no commuting home to see family, no jumpseat, daily intimidation by management, ever eroding working and living conditions, fatigue, fatigue, fatigue, Dubai is a ****hole, EK is trying to adapt to that. Oh, did I mention fatigue???

Grum
10th Feb 2010, 09:12
F/O on European based Bizjet, €4400 net (that includes 50% of my perdiems which go unspent). 2 weeks on (away from home) 2 weeks off (company positions me home). So approx 150 days leave per year. I can take more than two weeks if i want as the other FO and I organise our own schedule for the year. 30 hrs flying a month (prefer a bit more).

Health care top-up, luxembourg pension (very good) after 3 years min.

And i still think the grass may be greener with the airlines, 2 weeks away from the family is tough. :}

welliewanger
10th Feb 2010, 12:19
What is your take-home pay at the end of the month? (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/271434-what-your-take-home-pay-end-month.html)

:confused:Home:confused:
:confused:What is this home you speak of?:confused:

$8,000 + per diems and expenses. Can't remember last time I was at home though.

Large bizjet jet F/O

VIRGA
10th Feb 2010, 12:52
I know a particular company that pays its T/P captains 2900gbp, with forever decreasing pension, rubbish staff travel, 1.90/hr flt pay, rubbish conditions, no benefits, 750hrs a year to the jet 500. They get nigh on 15k a year more than Capt on T/P.

Also very low time cadets coming their way that will be trained for min time and expected to learn on the line. I guess that means they will be working harder. On top of that they are constantly being told that they will never get a payrise to which BALPA are useless at negotiating anyway, but further to that they are forever being bombarded with letters telling them that they are the only airline making a profit in these 'difficult times'.

As for living conditions this particular airline Captain cant afford to buy a house etc etc etc.

ishe
10th Feb 2010, 13:25
do we work at MK together

Dutch250
11th Feb 2010, 12:46
4 year First officer boeing 737 ng.
3400 euro net with good pension plan and good benefits.

Would have been more probably in neighbouring countries, but taxes are enormous in this country :ugh:

CAT1
11th Feb 2010, 13:04
B767 Captain, £260 per month.

Jobseekers allowance.

EGCC4284
13th Feb 2010, 18:37
K7nrw

Are you at flybe?

BeT
20th Feb 2010, 18:21
ATCO in euroland.

1 year fully qualified

€6,600 NET per month.

12 salaries + one time per year expenses = approx €1000

Great final salary pension with approx 6% personal contribution

Health insurance paid for by company.

Not bad, but could be better I reckon.

floatboy
20th Feb 2010, 21:09
USD$6500-7000/month net after tax, plus 3 months paid holidays/year + return tickets home + rent paid + medical, uniforms, etc

Great lifestyle job, approx 10-12 days work/month, 50 hours/month. :rolleyes:

salsaboy
21st Feb 2010, 10:24
Which company is it that you describe?

:bored:

C212-100
21st Feb 2010, 15:22
I can't stop thinking about the good job every ATC have done around euroland to keep getting good wages compared to those of pilots.

Cheers to them for the nice job they did on holding to their T&C's!!!

astronaute
21st Feb 2010, 17:39
It s normal, nobody pay to do an ATC job !:hmm:

pablo
21st Feb 2010, 17:49
don´t say it too loud, you might give ideas:E

WidebodyWillie
21st Feb 2010, 18:06
I fear that our airline pilot profession is dead.

Has been killed off by that 'Cee U Next Tuesday' o'leary at Ruinair, and SleasyJet are slowly jumping onto the bandwagon.

C212-100
22nd Feb 2010, 09:59
Nobody pays to do ATC because there's not even the chance to do so...

I also think that Airline Pilot profession is a dead one, no doubt about it. Unfortunately.

Probably in the near future I will have to switch career, it's starting to get uncomfortable.

As for the topic title, myself:

Light/Medium TP Captain, working 28 on/off, €4500 a month, allowances on the 28 days on-field are circa €900.

Cheers.

flywonderjet
22nd Feb 2010, 17:44
Belgian flag carrier. In my third year as an F/O on an AVRO Jet. Average 60 to 70 hours a month. Workload is high and rostering is crap unless you know the right people, 7 days on, 3 days off.

Net pay 2000€/month. Allowances 75€/night stop, 10€ per block hour, average 800-900€ euro/month on annual average.

Other benefits: hospitalisation insurance, loss of licence insurance, golden handshake at retirement, vacation pay 1500€/year.

mandsballard
23rd Feb 2010, 19:30
:ok:Furloughed: a whopping $1500/month (unemployment from goverment), Oh how I love this profession so very much..hehehehe

pierre6618
23rd Feb 2010, 22:56
Very Lucky Chap
DL 744 captain
$14,600 USD Reserve Guarantee (70 hours)/ month + $209/hour if fly more
Medical/Dental for ~ $260 to $500/month contribution by pilot
Only 1% company contribution to Retirement Plan now (taking care of junior pilots)
18 days on call, 12 days off
Getting ready to leave it all for a pension check and contract overseas job

BradA380
23rd Feb 2010, 23:10
F/O A380 Airbus.

Year 1

$9,500 USD (NET). 8 Week Holiday pay / Rent Paid / Health Insurance / Return Tickets.

Around 60 - 80hours a month.