PDA

View Full Version : Real Helicopter Pilots

SASless
9th Apr 2007, 14:03
As we wander down life's path, we sometimes meet people that exemplify what it means to be "A Real Helicopter Pilot". People that do things in a manner that is worthy of envy and admiration.

Tony Reece is one of those folks.

This link will take you to an article about his helicopter flying in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest.

I suggest he can rightfully call himself a "Real Helicopter Pilot". :ok:

http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/06/061_Reece.html

Any other candidates for that title that you know?

MightyGem
9th Apr 2007, 16:27
“What we done,” Reece said, “is put the right skid down and chopped the throttle, then the aircraft would drop. The tail would come up and turn between the rotor blades and you’d slide downhill until you got enough pressure on it to stop sliding. To take off you had to wind the rotors up and just take right off from the hillside. I’ve never seen that technique used with anyone else.”
Rather an interesting technique!

Staticdroop
9th Apr 2007, 16:42
I think WOW sums it up:ok:

oscar bravo
10th Apr 2007, 21:08
I learned this from a friend of mine who used to work with Tony at HiLine. He said Tony had sustained a few broken vertabrae and is now back to work. From reading the report it looks like put the safety of those he was working with before his own. :D
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20070123X00085&ntsbno=SEA07LA041&akey=1

Phil Kemp
11th Apr 2007, 02:26
I have known Tony and his wife Sue, for many years, ever since he offered me the use of his hangar and facilities to do an input change and a blade pocket replacement when we were logging with an S61 in Darrington many years ago.

Tony is an unassuming individual, what you see is what you get and he is a very accomplished, modest and genuine, gentleman.

The accident he suffered earlier this year is taken in his stride as he accurately described what happened to him in the various media accounts that followed his accident earlier this year.

The article above, describes entirely his method of working - getting it done, safely and practically. Great guy and a true 100% helicopter character.

SASless
11th Apr 2007, 02:36
The following link will take you to some very nice photographs of the Darrington area in which Hi Line and Tony operate. It is a very small but very friendly place.

http://darringtonwa.org/pictures.php

I have some photos of his 500D which looked like brand new......with over 13,000 hours on the airframe....several years ago. They were taken as he coiled his long line on the pad in front of his hangar (while hovering mind you and not by "hand" after landing!).

B Sousa
11th Apr 2007, 02:55
OK, Sasless, the question is, hows the price of real estate? Beautiful Pictures for sure.

Wiggly Bob
11th Apr 2007, 10:51
"settled onto the terrain at an excessive rate of descent."

Is that what I would call a crash?

Great work to avoid loss of life, both his own a ground crew:ok:

Rob