PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the USA

Happy Wanderer
9th Apr 2007, 10:38
For anyone who's done any flying recently in the States, any pointers on the main differences between flying here and over there? I'm thinking particularly around basic flight planning, RT/ATC, VFR flying, met, FBOs, fuelling, etc. Any memorable 'pluses and minuses' would be useful (and yes, I know it's a lot cheaper . . . ;)

I'm off to California for a month in the summer to do some hour building - not quite sure what to expect having done all my flying (pre-PPL and since) more or less on the same patch here in the UK.

Cheers,

HW

Cusco
9th Apr 2007, 12:47
Use the 'Search' facility on here:

You'll find a million and one different opinions.........

Safe Flying

Cusco:rolleyes:

Happy Wanderer
9th Apr 2007, 12:57
. . . that's why I'm looking for facts, NOT opinions . . . .

The decision's made, I'm off to the States (so we can ignore the 'is it worth it v the UK/elsewhere' debate), I'm looking forward to it, I just want to know what to expect once I get there. The blessed search facility was instrumental in helping me decide to go there in the first place (as it was in suggesting where specifically to go). So any constructive thoughts anyone?

HW

englishal
9th Apr 2007, 13:09
Perhaps if you could be a little more specific about what you need to know because there are an awful lot of differences.....

cheers

Happy Wanderer
9th Apr 2007, 13:31
Ok. . .something to be going on with below. NB only interested in VFR flight rules (no IMC held) and where procedures differ significanly from the UK:

- booking out (ie at the departure airfield)
- obtaining met info
- common ATC departure/enroute/arrival calls
- classes of airspace
- circuit procedures
- low flying rules
- what constitutes VMC?
- ATZ existence/dimensions
- is PPR generally req'd at smaller airfields
- is anywhere completely off-limits (civil/military airspace, major int'l airports, Mexico (!))

Thanks,

HW

Blinkz
9th Apr 2007, 14:31
- booking out (ie at the departure airfield)
- obtaining met info
- common ATC departure/enroute/arrival calls
- classes of airspace
- circuit procedures
- low flying rules
- what constitutes VMC?
- ATZ existence/dimensions
- is PPR generally req'd at smaller airfields
- is anywhere completely off-limits (civil/military airspace, major int'l airports, Mexico (!))
- I never had to book out of anywhere
- WX-BRIEF extremely useful, will give you all the wx u need and can do ur FPL if needed
- there different so read the FAR/AIM (LASORS equivalent)
- generally the same, altho no overheard join and different calls
- slightly different I think but nothing major
- Different again read FAR/AIM
- Not actually sure, I think there different, so read up again
- PPR generally not needed, you can fly into most strips and no landing fees
- yea some places are off limits, but if you talk to ATC they might let you cross any problem airspace.

As you can probably see your best bet is to get a copy of the FAR/AIM and read up on the important stuff. Its been a while since I flew there so am sure if I've got anything wrong others will correct me.

MSP Aviation
9th Apr 2007, 16:39
In terms of PPR, you have to look up any airfield in the AFD (Airport/Facility Directory). If it is private, you'll have to call for permission. Don't just assume that in the US you can "fly into most strips and no landing fees." You can also find airport info at http://airnav.com (http://airnav.com/)

Speak clearly and slowly on the radio on account of the accent, especially if you're from up Norf.

BackPacker
9th Apr 2007, 18:21
Take a look at this thread for more information:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267167

tiggermoth
9th Apr 2007, 20:27
circuit procedures
In the US they join the circuit 45 degrees at downwind, in the UK we generally do the overhead join.

VFR Radio
When travelling VFR away from controlled airspace you can go on a general (is it Unicom?) frequency where you can transmit your intentions to fellow pilots.

LARS
The equivalent to LARS is Flight Following - very useful and helpful service.

Happy Wanderer
10th Apr 2007, 09:56
Guys,

Many, many thanks (especially for the link).

More than enough for me to be going on with, so happy to close the thread.

HW