PDA

View Full Version : Webcam set-up for Windows Live Messenger

Tosh McCaber
8th Apr 2007, 21:14
I've just bought a webcam, and have experimented with my first video calls via Windows Live Messenger. Both webcams have built-in microphones. The video quality is pretty good. The sound, although slightly muffled, is adequate. However, presumably due to the time that it takes for speech to flow through the internet from one computer to the other, the problem is that we can hear our transmitted vocals a second or so later, as it reaches the other computer, which then overlaps with our outgoing conversation, and disturbs the speaker's train of thought!

Is there any way round this, other than turning the speakers off, and using headphones to receive the other side's conversation? (Not very convenient, if there is more than one person talking from one or both computers.)

Also, the received video is in a small box at the top right hand of the screen in WLM. Is there any way of enlarging the picture?

rotorcraig
8th Apr 2007, 21:28
Is there any way round this, other than turning the speakers off, and using headphones to receive the other side's conversation?I generally use headphones with built in mic for exactly this reason. As you say, it takes time for the conversation to travel over the internet - you can't do anything to change that.

But try turning the speaker volume down at your end to the minimum that you need to hear what's going on, and keep the microphone well away from the speakers - and ask the person at the other end to do the same. You might find that sorts it out.

RC