PDA

View Full Version : tomtom Navigator 6

Bigwings
8th Apr 2007, 13:55
Hi all, bit of advice required.

Mrs BW has purchased me a tomtom Navigator 6 pack. I now need to get a PDA to run it on. I've had a quick search here but couldn't find the info I needed so I thought, (and hoped) somebody here could help me.

I've had a look on the tomtom site for compatible units and the list is long and confusing, it can be found here, http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=3&PID=1401&SID=0&CID=96&Language=1&FID=6441

Now the question is, if price wasn't a major factor, which one would you choose? I don't need to use it as a phone, just as a PDA/navigation system.

Bluetooth and IR would be good but not essential.

Thanks in advance

Bigwings :ok:

Keygrip
8th Apr 2007, 14:15
I had that battle - but the other way round. PDA first, then found TomTom.

After weeks of stomping around electronics shops I purchased a PDA direct from HP, through their web site.

There was a "chat with technician" option that suddenly popped up whilst I was browsing.

HP asked what I wanted the machine to do - then steered me away from the machine I was looking at (a 2900 series, iirc). They said the processor and memory, although higher spec. than the one they suggested, was not ideal for the job and was more expensive.

They talked me into an HX2495 model which runs TT Nav6 extremely well. It's not a phone (unless I'm in a wi-fi hot spot, at which point I can use Skye) but does have wi-fi, bluetooth and infra-red.

I've added TWO 4 Gb expansion cards to it, one 4Gb SD card and one 4gb flash card. I bought the two cards on ebay, for about $68 each including shipping). I also bought a Holux GPSlim360 GPS unit (20 channel, works indoors, and communicates superbly with the pda).

I've seen the hx2495 on ebay for under $200 - so for around $400 (GBP200ish) you can have an 8Gb pda with GPS.

A computer guru friend of mine saw the kit and fell in love with it - works a treat, very neat and very very simple to use.

Bigwings
8th Apr 2007, 19:40
Many thanks for the reply Keygrip. I'll pop along to the shops tomorrow and see if anyone has that unit in stock so I can see it in the flesh so to speak.

From what you've told me and what I've seen on the web it certainly seems to meet all of my needs.

Thanks again for the information, fingers crossed.

Keygrip
8th Apr 2007, 21:06
I don't know what the current state of play is back there in Blighty - but I did find the experience of shopping for the pda quite frustrating.

None of the Comet/Currys/Dixons style stores seem to carry pda's anymore here in the USA. They can get you one on order - but you may as well get your own (which may save tax).

I hope you fare better than I did whilst trawling the shops.

Oh - ensure your new toy runs Windows Mobile version FIVE for TTNav6. Not the older version THREE. (Don't know where version 4 went).

spannersatcx
8th Apr 2007, 21:58
I had a Dell Axim until it was stolen. With the insurance money I brought a Tom Tom Go, far better than a PDA for sat naving.

Some forums suggest that TomTom's support for pda's is dwindling as they want people to get the TomTom units, and I have to say they work far better. Have a look here for reviews and user comments pocketgpsworld.com (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums)

IO540
8th Apr 2007, 22:03
Most pocket/pc PDAs run TT. I had problems with the HP4700 and TT5 which crashed every 30 minutes or so, so I reverted to TT3 which is fine.

The Mitac 168, sold under various guises, is a really nice little PDA with a built-in GPS receiver. I have one of those - does exactly what it says on the box.

TT6 I can't speak for personally.

Bigwings
9th Apr 2007, 08:37
spannersatcx and IO540 many thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have to go the PDA route as the good lady bought the tomtom 6 as a present, more than my lifes worth if she doesn't see it running in the car very soon.

Thanks again all.

DaveO'Leary
9th Apr 2007, 16:50
Been using a TomTom GO 300 for the past two years, nice bit of kit. No probs.

Coconutty
10th Apr 2007, 07:25
For less than £320 you could get a HP Ipaq hw6915.
( Try a search on "pricerunner" or similar ).

This is a PDA with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Infra Red.
The GPS receiver is built in - so no external aerials to flip out or plug in.

It IS a phone too - so you could get a PAYG SIM card and then you would be able to use the "Traffic" update feature too.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

Mr Grumps
10th Apr 2007, 11:28
I use a PDA with TomTom 6 and it works just fine. I also use Fugawi Ordnance Survey digital map for countryside walking. Very handy when the walk instructions are a bit vague and you get slightly astray. You can't do that with a TomTom go etc. Also comes in handy when I sync my contacts and use the navigate to facility.
Unfortunately they don't make mine (Mitac MIO 168 Digiwalker)anymore because its about 2 years old now.