PDA

View Full Version : Starting point for Explorer

Loose rivets
7th Apr 2007, 17:53
I like to mod my Explorer desktop icon so that it takes me to a particular location. I of course use a cluster of icons allowing different starting points.

It all works, but if I make any change from the original ‘My Documents', which it goes to by default without any instruction, then it opens with the Folders section closed. I can open it okay, but this is tedious, as one has to wait for the disc to search for its content of folders.

I have tried putting a copy of explorer.exe into a specific folder--and altering the ‘Start In' point--but it does not help.

Any notion how I can make it open on target with the Folders section open?

unclenelli
7th Apr 2007, 18:55
Right-Click on a blank area of the Desktop
Click New, Shortcut
in the box type "http://www.pprune.org/"
Click Next
Type PPRUNE
Click Finish
Right-click on the new Icon
Click Change-Icon and browse for a suitable icon

MS standard icons are usually in
C:/Windows/System32/pifmgr.dll
C:/Windows/System32/moricons.dll
or use one of your own.

Background Noise
7th Apr 2007, 20:26
Open explorer, navigate to the parent folder. Right click on the folder you want to open in and drag it to the desktop, let go and select create a shortcut. You can rename the shortcut in the usual file renaming way.

Loose rivets
9th Apr 2007, 05:48
Nope...Just the same. It opens on target okay, but without the folders tree open.

I feel sure that it used to be okay on any target, but just changed one day. One will look at son's XP and check, just to compare.

Looking in properties, there really does not seem to be any clue as to why it works with My Documents but no other. :ugh:

All Ahead Full
10th Apr 2007, 12:12
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307856
refer to the above article, therefore if you create a new shortcut of explorer, and add the following to the end, it will open up Windows explorer with the focus on the directory you specify
explorer /e,c:\windows
will open up explorer with the intial directory as c:\windows. Obviosuly change the directory if you want it to open the explorer window to a different directory
Let me know if this helps
Phil

The silly simily should be : \ without the spaces!

BOAC
10th Apr 2007, 12:26
AAF and all - a reminder that you can always disable smilies in your post: tick the box.

All Ahead Full
10th Apr 2007, 12:28
Thanks, should really know better...

all the best,

Loose rivets
10th Apr 2007, 16:58
Thanks again.

From the link. My highlights.

/e, <object>Starts Windows Explorer using its default view with the focus on the specified folder.

This looks interesting. Will play with it later when chores are done.

BOAC
10th Apr 2007, 17:07
"Read all abaat it" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307856)

Loose rivets
12th Apr 2007, 04:17
Thanks chaps. The /e was the answer. Strangely, the original still does not need the switch...just the subsquent shortcuts.

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe C:\1 ROB\My Pictures, /e

This goes to that folder with the folder tree open. At last!