PDA

View Full Version : Work in UK on FAA Licence

TelBoy
7th Apr 2007, 02:09
For thos who have read my other posts I am in the situation of not (as yet) being able to get an unrestricted class 1 medical because of colour vision. I have however passed the FAA colour vision tests so unrestricted FAA is OK.

My question is as a British citizen with my family in the UK (so don't want to emigrate), what is the likelyhood of getting work if I do an FAA CPL (+multi, instrument etc). I know I would not be able to work on G reg aircraft, but surley there are American companies with N reg aircraft in the UK.Also what about short (3 to 6 month) contracts abroad?

Any thoughts and info would be great.

scroggs
7th Apr 2007, 10:12
Almost none. It is not possible for a US airline to base its N-registered aircraft in the UK and have them flown by UK citizens on an FAA license. Neither the law nor the unions, either here or in the US, would allow it. The only N-registered aircraft based in Europe are privately-owned business aircraft, and even these are stretching the law. If you want to work in Europe you need a JAA licence.

Scroggs

TelBoy
7th Apr 2007, 17:07
Thanks scroggs, much as I thought.

What I am interested in is the possibility of flying under an FAA licence for say ferry flying from the US, or prehaps contract work outside the UK for a few months at a time.

Also any info about FAA CFI qualifications in UK. Prehaps doing BFR or ratings etc. Only problem being I guess all are done on G reg aircraft - anyone know any different?

Thanks in advance all and have a good Easter Hol.

B200Drvr
7th Apr 2007, 21:23
TelBoy,
There are companies that do contracts outside of the UK that you could do on an FAA certificate, only problem is experience, most require 1000+ and a small investment for a validation & type rating . PM me if you want the details.

zakka
8th Apr 2007, 03:37
I agree that it will be hard to find a job on a N-reg. aircraft in Europe as lowtimer.

Scroggs: What do you mean by privately owned N-reg aircrafts in Europe are stretching the law? Around 10% of privately owned aircraft in the UK are N-reg., and flying around perfectly legal. I don't think that will change in the near future considering the UK CAA's workpace.

Hufty
8th Apr 2007, 22:56
I think you might be able to instruct on an FAA licence in the UK. I revalidated my FAA PPL with an FAA instructor in the UK and we did it on a G reg aircraft. I am pretty sure he didn't have a JAA licence but I could be wrong - it was a while ago.

lharle
9th Apr 2007, 14:54
As an FAA CFI working in France,I am sure that you can teach on any aircraft.For example if you give some instruction in France on a F registered aircraft, you can only stay in France.
The only requirement is that you have to have a N registered aircraft for a flight test.

zakka
9th Apr 2007, 17:54
You don't necessary need an N-reg aircraft for the test. Check FAR 61.45

TelBoy
11th Apr 2007, 22:32
seems as though you do need N reg - see below

Sec. 61.45

Practical tests: Required aircraft and equipment.

(a) General. Except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) of this section or when permitted to accomplish the entire flight increment of the practical test in a flight simulator or a flight training device, an applicant for a certificate or rating issued under this part must furnish:
(1) An aircraft of U.S. registry for each required test that--
(i) Is of the category, class, and type, if applicable, for which the applicant is applying for a certificate or rating; and
[(ii) Has a current standard airworthiness certificate or special airworthiness certificate in the limited, primary, or light-sport category.]
(2) At the discretion of the examiner who administers the practical test, the applicant may furnish--
[(i) An aircraft that has a current airworthiness certificate other than a standard airworthiness certificate or special airworthiness certificate in the limited, primary, or light-sport category, but that otherwise meets the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section;]
(ii) An aircraft of the same category, class, and type, if applicable, of foreign registry that is properly certificated by the country of registry; or
(iii) A military aircraft of the same category, class, and type, if applicable, for which the applicant is applying for a certificate or rating.
(b) Required equipment (other than controls).
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (b)(2) of this section, an aircraft used for a practical test must have--
(i) The equipment for each area of operation required for the practical test;
(ii) No prescribed operating limitations that prohibit its use in any of the areas of operation required for the practical test;
[(iii) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, at least two pilot stations with adequate visibility for each person to operate the aircraft safely; and]
(iv) Cockpit and outside visibility adequate to evaluate the performance of the applicant when an additional jump seat is provided for the examiner.
(2) An applicant for a certificate or rating may use an aircraft with operating characteristics that preclude the applicant from performing all of the tasks required for the practical test. However, the applicant's certificate or rating, as appropriate, will be issued with an appropriate limitation.
(c) Required controls. An aircraft (other than a lighter-than-air aircraft) used for a practical test must have engine power controls and flight controls that are easily reached and operable in a conventional manner by both pilots, unless the examiner determines that the practical test can be conducted safely in the aircraft without the controls being easily reached.
(d) Simulated instrument flight equipment. An applicant for a practical test that involves maneuvering an aircraft solely by reference to instruments must furnish:
(1) Equipment on board the aircraft that permits the applicant to pass the areas of operation that apply to the rating sought; and
(2) A device that prevents the applicant from having visual reference outside the aircraft, but does not prevent the examiner from having visual reference outside the aircraft, and is otherwise acceptable to the Administrator.
(e) Aircraft with single controls. A practical test may be conducted in an aircraft having a single set of controls, provided the:
(1) Examiner agrees to conduct the test;
(2) Test does not involve a demonstration of instrument skills; and
(3) Proficiency of the applicant can be observed by an examiner who is in a position to observe the applicant.
[(f) Light-sport aircraft with a single seat. A practical test for a sport pilot certificate may be conducted in a light-sport aircraft having a single seat provided that the-
(1) Examiner agrees to conduct the test;
(2) Examiner is in a position to observe the operation of the aircraft and evaluate the proficiency of the applicant; and
(3) Pilot certificate of an applicant successfully passing the test is issued a pilot certificate with a limitation "No passenger carriage and flight in a single-seat light-sport aircraft only." ]

smith
11th Apr 2007, 23:24
If you turn the FI question arse about face, the JAA/CAA registered flight schools in Florida, USA use mostly American instructors (I know they have done JAA training on top of their FAA FI but don't know if they have JAA licences) and all N-registered aircraft.

Just a point, but don't know if there is a similar reciprocal arrangement here.

zakka
12th Apr 2007, 22:30
Telboy please read part 61.45 again especially section (a) part 2(ii)

G-SPOTs Lost
13th Apr 2007, 10:30
Scroggs wrote
The only N-registered aircraft based in Europe are privately-owned business aircraft, and even these are stretching the law.
Stretching the law? Fairly broad sweeping statement and if you dont mind me respectfully saying so incorrect!
Tellboy, you may read in the Bizjets and GA forum about the new Isle Of Man aircraft registry. This is a new registry that will operate within the framework of our CAA under its own ANO using the M (Mike) initial letter in all aircraft registrations. This new register will be very popular with Business aircraft owners for a number of reasons:
a) Costs and business benefits like 0 rated for corporation tax and 5% cheaper insurance (Which is a lot of £ on a business jet)
b) Ease of use and Geographic Location
c) It allows validations of many types of license. This means that you will be able to fly a Manx registered aircraft on your FAA license (When suitably typed) and sit next to somebody with a JAA license.
Unlike CAA validations that normally last only 12 months these are permanent.
Don't forget that there are roughly 200 N registered intersting aircraft in the UK and more in Europe, certainly in the case of the aircraft that we used to fly, they were here perfectly legally and had VAT certificates that entitled them to free circulation within Europe.
I would encourage you to understand that your potential list of employers will be smaller but with that caution in mind encourage you to go ahead and get the license fairly safe in the knowledge that you will be able to earn a respectable living flying here and if not here in the Middle East where FAA licenses are just as acceptable (Potentially moreso) than JAA ones

TelBoy
14th Apr 2007, 09:51
Thanks for your replies all. One question I have left is if under a FAA CPL with instructor rating in the UK on a G reg aircraft - can you get paid for instructing? Obvioustley you can only instruct the FAA sylabus and BFR, so you are using your privilages under your FAA licence, but in UK airspace on a G reg aircraft. I think the CAA would want to fry you a** for taking pay for it. Am I right.

The Manx reg is a VERY interesting one I think, will be looking into that.

Again thanks for all your help - it is very much appreciated.