PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) different exams?

Jonese
6th Apr 2007, 09:25
Hi all,

I've been completing my PPL(H) theory exams and have been using some interactive CD-Roms to study from. However I recently went in to do my Aircraft General & Principles of Flight exam and was shocked to find that there was a specific paper for Helicopters and the CD only covers fixed wing! At no point in the CD Rom or on the websites where I bought them from does it highlight that this is only for the fixed wing exams? I bought the complete study pack which cost the best part of 300pounds and it only states this is a JAA PPL Ground Training pack - should say apart from certain exams for helicopters?

Does anyone know what Interactive CD-Rom or books I need in order to study for this exam? I also presume the Flight Performance & Planning exam is different as well?
I've seen Pooleys JAR/PPL Helicopter Manual - is this the best guide?

Really not happy as I missed out on drinks with the lads in Zurich to study for this exam which was a waste of time.

Thanks,

G

Whirlygig
6th Apr 2007, 09:46
I'm afraid from the studying point of view, the world is very fixed-wing oriented.

You will find that the Air Law exam also has a helicopter specific bias as well as Principles of Flight and Flight Planning and Performance.

I would recommend Wagtendonk's book for Principles of Flight. As for Flight Planning and Performance? It seemed to me to be a bit of a "catch-all" exams covering stuff that doesn't appear in any other syllabus. I managed to wing it using a mixture of common sense and what little flying experience I had at the time!

You may well have a case for a partial refund from the CD-ROM supplier as they didn't describe the contents and purpose fully - perhaps enough to buy Wagtendonk's book?

Cheers

Whirls

paco
6th Apr 2007, 10:30
Jonese

Check your PMs

Phil

Jonese
6th Apr 2007, 10:49
Thanks for the replies. It is true that I also need to complete all the JAA PPL(H) theory ground exams within 12 months?

I find it really confusing to find information on PPL(H) ground exams (hence the reason I revised for the wrong exam) so much so that I was thinking of creating a web site with just the basic information, plus reviews of good books and course material. Are there any websites with this information just for Helicopters?

Thanks,

G

Stringfellow Dork
6th Apr 2007, 14:48
I would have hoped that your PPL (H) flight school might have taken enough interest in your studies to help you out here?

Have they not offered any advise? Seems a little worrying...

Pandalet
6th Apr 2007, 14:53
I second Wagtendonk for PoF. For planning & performance, I used the Thom book, as well as bits of Wagtendonk, the R22 manual, and notes provided by my instructor. Really, your flying school should be able to at least point you to the right sources, if not actually provide them!

Ding Dong
6th Apr 2007, 15:35
Why has your flight school not told you what you need to read ... ? ?? Or maybe try dipping the stick in water before jumping ??

:ok:

Bravo73
7th Apr 2007, 07:37
I've seen Pooleys JAR/PPL Helicopter Manual - is this the best guide?

Most definitely NOT. Avoid the Pooley's Manual like the plague. It was originally written by a fixed-wing pilot and is riddled with errors. :mad:

Pooley's seem to be very reluctant to correct these errors (or to employ a sub-editor in the the first place who could spot the various mistakes.) :ugh:

Camp Freddie
7th Apr 2007, 11:07
Jonese,

It is true that I also need to complete all the JAA PPL(H) theory ground exams within 12 months?

In the UK (which I appreciate is not switzerland) you have according to LASORS 2007 Section C2.3, page 10 - a period of 18 months counted from the end of the calendar month when the applicant first attempted an examination. a pass will be accepted for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(H) during the 24 months from the date of successfully completing the theoretical knowledge examinations.

However Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.130 & 2.135 page 1-C-9 says - an applicant shall be deemed to have successfully completed the completed the theoretical examinations for the PPL(H) when awarded a pass in all parts within a period of 12 months. a pass in the theoretical knowledge examination will be accepted for the grant of the private pilot licence during the 24 months from the date of first gaining a pass in any part of the examination.

so in switzerland I guess it is the JAR-FCL version unless the swiss CAA (whoever they are) are doing something different !

So I am a bit confused about the mechanism for amending JAR-FCL in the UK, is this change as described in LASORS from the FCL2, written down anywhere else, or is it just UK policy and LASORS is the source document for this change? does anyone know?

i4iq
7th Apr 2007, 17:34
You might try the Sporty's DVD's and Kings DVD Helicopter supplements. Wont be much help with JAA specific stuff but they do cover the aerodynamics and other relevant material...