PDA

View Full Version : Stirling painting

Samuel
5th Apr 2007, 02:18
I have seen an oil painting of a Stirling of 190 Squadron, returning in daylight from a supply drop after D-day, with a FW 190 hot on his tail. The painting might have been hanging in the RAF Club, but I'm not certain of that as I was a bit 'tired and emotional' the last time I stayed there!

I now know that the pilot was one Flying Officer Larry Siegart RNZAF, to whom I was speaking just this morning, and he tells me that there was not one FW190, but two, and his rear gunner had shot the other one down. "We had a hole or two here and there", he says, 'but we got home alright in the end". Larry Siegert later flew with 24 Sqn, and in the Berlin Airlift, and for a while was seconded to BOAC, whilst still a Flt Lt, flying Dakotas before he came home He later became CAS RNZAF.

Anyone know where that painting is, and if there are prints available?

forget
5th Apr 2007, 10:27
Is this it?

http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/more.php?ProdID=4857

Apparently not. :\

Close Encounter by Iain Wyllie On the 10th of June 1941 en route to Emden Short Stirling D-MG of 7 squadron was intercepted by 2 Me-109's. the aircraft piloted by Flying Officer G B Blacklock DFM returned safely to base after shooting down on of the fighters.

Samuel
5th Apr 2007, 18:07
Sorry, but no, it isn't it! As I recall the aircraft was banking left, over the coastline. It was also some years, 1944, after yours!

He tells me he was at RAF Fairford at the time :"On the 6 June 1944 the squadron carried 400 paratroopers to Caen, France. The squadron returned and towed Airspeed Horsa gliders into France. It moved to RAF Fairford and carried out supply-dropping missions to the advancing troops and SOE operatives. The squadron involvement in supply drops at Arnhem caused 10 aircraft losses in 4 days".