PDA

View Full Version : BA tops (European) lost luggage league table

Pax Vobiscum
4th Apr 2007, 15:25
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6524639.stm) - based on figures from the Association of European Airlines (AEA).

There's a lot being made of this in the UK media, but I note:
Some airlines which are members of the AEA, including Virgin Atlantic and BMI, do not release lost luggage figures and nor do no-frills airlines such as Ryanair and Easyjet.

In any case, there's clearly more scope for losing bags on an airline that offers through ticketing on multiple legs than one that offers a simpler point-to-point service.

FWIW I've only ever had my bags lost once (for a day) and it wasn't with BA. But then, I avoid transfers whenever I can.

SXB
4th Apr 2007, 22:34
PV
Interesting points. It's no surprise that the three largest airlines in Europe - BA, AF and LH all score badly. As you fairly point out, these airlines offer a much more comprehensive route network than any of their competitors and as we all know the more complicated the route the more chance of a bag going astray.

As a frequent traveller taking multiple sector journeys I have to say ,in my experience, most European airlines do an excellent job of getting luggage and passenger to their destination at the same time.

Final 3 Greens
5th Apr 2007, 04:26
I agree that the luggage normally gets there.

What affects me more than misplaced luggage is damaged luggage.

I seem, on average, to have one suitcase per year written off by major damage.

The suitcases I use are Rimowa, which are very high quality and strong.

In fact I have just bought a metal suitcase following the destruction of my 3rd 63 litre polycarbonate unit, in the hope that it will withstand more knocks.

SXB
5th Apr 2007, 16:08
F3G, I also use Rimowa but the aluminium versions. The set I have at the moment are just over three years and i've only had one suffer major damage. They aren't indestructable but they're the best I've had. My wife bought a set of Samsonite at the same time for less than half the price, she doesn't travel anyway near as much as I do and hers are long since dead.....

Final 3 Greens
5th Apr 2007, 16:44
SXB

Thanks for the info.

Its the Rimowa aluminium cases I've gone for.

I am expecting dents a plenty, but hopefully they last a bit longer.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
5th Apr 2007, 17:01
It's no surprise that the three largest airlines in Europe - BA, AF and LH all score badly.

I think you may find Ryanair are Europe's Largest Airline:E ,
how well did they do :confused: .

Final 3 Greens
5th Apr 2007, 18:43
Ryanair Europe's largest airline? Bigger than Lufthansa?

I dont think so.....

Fleet Size

Ryanair

Boeing 737 - 133

Lufthansa

Boeing 747 - 30
Airbus A340-600 - 15
Airbus A340-300 - 28
Airbus A330-300 - 10
Airbus A300-600R - 14
Airbus A321 - 26
Airbus A320 - 36
Airbus A319 - 19
Boeing 737 - 63
Avro RJ - 18
CRJ - 58
MD11F - 19

..... 308 (not including Swiss, who they own, another 70 jets)

Number of employees

Ryanair - 4,200

Lufthansa - 92,000 (2005)

I can't be bothered to do anymore analysis.

TightSlot
5th Apr 2007, 19:37
Fascinating to note that with a fleet 3 times as large (in airframes) LH require over 20 times as many staff as FR - I know that this, as a comparison, is full of holes, but nonetheless, it tells a story...

radeng
5th Apr 2007, 20:23
In the last 16 months, I've done 99 flights. 74 on BA. Luggage 'lost' twice - once by LH on a very short (because of late arrival) transfer from LH to LH at MUN, and once on a short transfer from AF (internal) to BA at CDG.
Last Sunday, transfer from US Airways to BA at PHX. Bag was one of the first off at LHR!
No damage to baggage, although BA seem to delight in ripping off Gold tags! When bags have been delayed and NOT THEIR FAULT, their delivery service has worked extremely well for me.
Mrs Radeng had a missing bag on a transfer from AA to BA at ORD last year. Again, expeditious delivery by BA in the UK.
I don't think these figures represent the realities.

Final 3 Greens
5th Apr 2007, 21:07
....LH require over 20 times as many staff as FR....

Different business models, route network, service levels, outsourcing etc.

Lufthansa is an efficient operator AFAIK and so is Ryanair I imagine, but one can't compare the two directly in this respect.

SXB
5th Apr 2007, 21:54
It's chalk and cheese. LH, BA and AF can take you from Asia to South America, they can even give you a choice of how you get there, you can have a 2 metre bed if you really want one. Ryanair, well, they don't offer such choices....

Pax Vobiscum
6th Apr 2007, 16:49
I think Ryanair's claim to be the largest airline in Europe is based on number of pax carried (within Europe).
Over the summer [2006], Ryanair becomes the world's first airline to carry more than 4 million international passengers in one month.
(source Ryanair.com (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=About))