PDA

View Full Version : Biggles Takes on the Rebranders

Lord_Flashheart
3rd Apr 2007, 18:32
Biggles Takes on the Rebranders

(with apologies to Captain WE Johns - again)

A Squadron Leader Bigglesworth Story

The Western Desert - 1942

Squadron Leader James 'Biggles' Bigglesworth stepped down from his dusty Hurricane IID and walked over towards the debriefing tent, wiping his sweating brow with his silk scarf.

He entered the relative cool of the tent – ‘Spy’ the Intelligence Officer was there, as was his CO, Wing Commander Wilkinson who looked up as he entered.

"Well I think I got three Panzer IVs and I made a mess of a halftrack. Two trucks destroyed too – but you’ll have to check with Bertie whether that halftrack was a definite. I think we gave them a bloody nose today." announced Biggles.

"Good show Biggles," said Wilks "I’ve got new orders for you here – you are being taken off ‘Ops’, old chap."

"What?" said Biggles, sweat and grime still caked on his face, "Rommel is pressing us harder than ever... whatever can be more important than this?"

Wilkinson tapped his pipe and looked at Biggles squarely. "We need a keen resourceful officer to complete a special mission – on which the balance of the whole war might rest."

Tired as he was, Biggles eyes lit up. "I think you have the right chap sir - tell me more."

"You'll be posted immediately to Cairo –"

"Some cloak and dagger stuff crossing swords with Jerry in the souks?" enquired Biggles.

"No, much more important - we want you to choose sock designs for the summer season of the new RAF clothing collection," said Wilks, puffing on his pipe.

Biggles jaw hung open

"I'm not sure I understand - reviewing socks?"

The Wing Co. looked serious. "That’s right Bigglesworth - its important we get front line feedback from chaps like you on what is fashionable... The previous Typhoon Trainers, as you well know, are now being used to line AA emplacements, anti-splinter mats on MTBs and the rest as landfill - we don't want that cock-up happening again. God only knows why we were talked into ordered 5 million pairs of them."

"But - we've got Rommel on our doorstep, we're down to our last seven Hurricanes, we’re running low on fuel and ammunition and a party of squadron mechanics got kidnapped the other day by tribesman...." protested Biggles, but he was cut off.

"-We've got those covered Biggles - firstly you be receiving new aircraft immediately - the government realises how serious the war effort here is and as a result 266 will be getting four Gloster Gauntlets." Wilks sounded pleased at this outcome.

"Biplanes?" exclaimed Biggles? "You can’t be serious! How are we expected to kill tanks with those - let alone fight 109s?"

"I don't know - you'll figure it out. I would expect you to crash into them, sacrificing yourself - especially if I tell you to," said Wilks cheerily.

Biggles thought fast. "What about those eight P-40s on lend lease from the Yanks – are they still sitting doing nothing in that hangar in Cairo? Give me a day to fly out with a few of my chaps and we can have them bombed up and attacking the forward German divisions in no time!"

Wilks shook his head. "I’m afraid not Bigglesworth – RAE Farnborough has qualified them day VFR flight only – after the cockpit upgrade to install a British spec ashtray went terribly wrong. We can’t use them for combat – too risky."

"Riskier than being overrun by Rommel’s panzers?" snapped Biggles.

"Don’t worry – it’s being worked on – another three or four years and they will be cleared for use."

"And what about the fitters - aren't we going to try to get them back? I can take Algy with me and we can beat up that tribesmen’s fort with cannon until their eyes water..."

"Heaven's no - all we're going to do is put out a few press releases and maps and keep our fingers crossed- no point in inflaming the situation... Once they see that our maps are correct they’ll do the decent thing" said the Wing Commander, pointing at the situation maps in the Int tent.

"But – what if they don’t hand them back?"

"Then we’ll get really tough – with a bring-and-buy sale, a T-shirt press event and an wireless telegraph petition campaign." Wilks clamped his jaw.

“And another thing”, said Biggles, "two days ago Algy almost got shot down by a couple of over-aggressive Yanks."

"Well did he identify himself properly? – They are very new in theatre, you know."

"Yes – he fired the colours of the day, but the clots kept on attacking."

"Well I don’t know,” said Wilks angrily. "Why don’t you paint your aircraft with luminous orange panels? – They wouldn’t be able to miss those, surely."

“I wouldn’t count on it…sir” Biggles was suddenly tired and made for the tent flap.

"Before you go there’s some more admin news from the top. Fighter Command, Bomber Command and Coastal Command are all merging to form Air Command - unusual name, eh? While that move will be creating more three star slots at high level, we will be generating a more cohesive trained audience out here in the desert. Impressive, eh?" Wilks beamed at the thought of redoing the squadron's letterheads to incorporate another mission statement.

"Audience?" said Biggles, "This isn't the Windmill Theatre sir!!"

"Now, now Bigglesworth" said Wilks to the pilot, “No need to get all defensive. There will still be plenty of command slots what with the new Merchandising Command being formed."

But Biggles was already striding out - dust was blowing across the desert as the last of the squadron taxied in to dispersal. He entered his tent and was astonished to see a young woman with blonde hair, sitting at a desk with mirrors, and a hairdryer preening herself.

"Aren't you in the wrong tent?" asked Biggles.

"No, sir I've been posted here - do you want to put your stuff in my Samsonite? your kit looks a bit dusty... that black heavy thing.."

"My service pistol -"

"…nearly fell on my foot" she said accusingly.

"We'll see about this" said Biggles quietly.

"OK - but can you be a sweetie and hold this mirror while I just rub this suntan lotion in - I might as well get a decent tan while I'm here – say - have you got any toe separators so I can do my nails?"

But Biggles had spotted Wilks walking past the lines outside his tent. "One moment," he snarled.

"Wilks - why is there a WRAF in my tent?” he said in a low voice. “And I fully realise that question may be an insult to WRAFs.”

"A WRAF? No, that’s your new wingman, or wingwoman, anyhow.” Wilks grinned, "Don't worry about her - she's a good stick - she's only admitted to pranging five aircraft so far..."

"Five aircraft so far?" asked Biggles, eyes wide, “But there are lots of women flying in the ATA today who have probably got more hours on Spits and Hurris than me - so where on earth did we find her?"

"On a reality radio show - where else? Do keep up with things, Biggles." Wilks said condescendingly. “After the success of Big Soldier and the Navy doing Sailor Idol – the RAF had to do something so we had 'How do you solve a problem like the Luftwaffe?' - and she won..."

"But surely sir the way to beat the Luftwaffe is by killing them and breaking their stuff?" said Biggles, thinking of those panzers in his gunsight earlier today.

"That’s a bit kinetically minded old chap - look you'll just have to lump it – she's very popular with the general public. And I'd keep you sexist anti-wingwoman comments to yourself or you'll get voted off the squadron very early..."

Biggles looked shaken. "Voted off the squadron? By who sir?"

"The general public, of course. We're hosting Celebrity Love Oasis at this airbase from next week - haven't you heard?" said Wilks.

"I’m afraid that news passed me by, sir, what with the Afrika Korps knocking on our door…"

"Well, no matter, just get cracking on the sock designs – and remember Bigglesworth, I expect every pilot in this squadron to make the ultimate sacrifice and crash into the highest priority, ultimate target if the situation demands it…”

"What sir? – do you mean that Adolf himself has been spotted visiting the front line?" asked Biggles hopefully.

"No, you dummy!" exploded the Wing Co, "The Afrika Korps is about to launch its revamped spring women's fashion collection – I want their head stylist taken out – otherwise we’re never going to shift those RAF bikinis I requested! There’s a whole convoy full of ‘em due in from Malta tomorrow!"

"And our desperate fuel and ammo situation sir?"

"I don’t know – for you it’s always the glass is half empty isn’t it Bigglesworth…" said Wilks, walking away…

Biggles wasn't listening as stood watching his CO walk away. Nearby erks, stripped to the waist, were busy loading 40mm rounds in 266’s Hurricanes, under the merciless sun, ready for action.

He squinted his eyes into the distance. What was happening to his beloved air force? Rommel was on the offensive - the chips were down and the air marshals were interested in sock patterns... Was this any way to fight a war?

More Biggles action next time!

Biggles conducts a friendly fire inquiry

Biggles PVRs

Biggles gets poached by the airlines

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Apr 2007, 18:42
Priceless, absolutely priceless!!:D :D :D

Lord F

You really ought to find a publisher for these. Brilliant!

seekayess
3rd Apr 2007, 18:57
My word! That was FUN!!

You figure you should do some Google ads for your story?

And would you permit me to repeat the story in another Group, another place, another time-zone?

cheers!

:ok:

Fg Off Max Stout
3rd Apr 2007, 18:57
Awesome. That's tomorrow's Sun front page sorted. :ok:

Almost_done
3rd Apr 2007, 19:20
A cracking post totally top hole old bean.

MightyGem
3rd Apr 2007, 19:34
Well done Flash. I think I've read most of the Biggles books(as we all have, no doubt!), but that's definately the best!! :ok:

Training Risky
3rd Apr 2007, 19:36
Excellent stuff old bean. Tip-top.

Did you write the previous instalment: 'Biggles defies the Beancounters', set in England 1941?

What's next? Overlord, Market Garden, Berchtesgarden, Musketeer?

TR:ok:

airborne_artist
3rd Apr 2007, 19:36
Invoice is winging its way to Lord_F for a new keyboard, screen and mouse. Spilt my G&T all over them.

neilmac
3rd Apr 2007, 19:42
How funny! Bet Lord FlashHeart drinks Carling Black label!

NM

J.A.F.O.
3rd Apr 2007, 21:17
Flash, if you're still in the mob then you're wasted. That was absolutely fantastic in every way.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Melchett01
3rd Apr 2007, 22:01
Absolutely tip top hole, with a ying and yang and a zippety split Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Best thing I've read this side of of Afghanistan. I haven't quite worked out whether to laugh or cry, so in the mean time, I'll just mop up the tea I just spilt :D :D :D :ok:

MrFlibble
3rd Apr 2007, 22:03
Make that two invoices, I've just spat some very old Glenfiddich over my monitor!!

I cant wait for "Biggles PVRs", truth be told...!

An Teallach
3rd Apr 2007, 22:10
Monitor cleaning fluid! - I knew there had to be a use for Glenfiddich.

My Scapa remained well and truly en bouche, My Lord Flashheart. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Biggles' latest escapade. BTW, has he done his EO or H&SW training yet?

ORAC
3rd Apr 2007, 22:18
Surely that should be Biggles Comes Out!! rather than Biggles PVRs - what with the rumours about him and Ginger and all.... ;)

Junglynx
4th Apr 2007, 01:26
:D Priceless Flash

Like all the best humour, it of course has all its foundations in fact:ugh:

I await with resignation my reality star oppo.

Inspector Dreyfuss
4th Apr 2007, 08:21
Marvellous

Good job they didn't have JPA in the 40s

Tourist
4th Apr 2007, 09:24
Ye Gods An Teallach!

Scapa!
Spat out is the best place for it!
And I thought you were a real Scot.

Highland Park in future please!

cornish-stormrider
4th Apr 2007, 10:47
Thats a criminal waste of Glenfiddich!! It's a lovely malt. ROTFLMAO over biggles

kokpit
4th Apr 2007, 11:52
Brilliant, just bloody brilliant! :ok:

Mr Blake
4th Apr 2007, 12:12
Very very funny, but sadly it accurately reflects today's modern Royal Air Force.

gizmocat
4th Apr 2007, 14:54
Outstanding Flash, how would you like your kipper smoked ?

Maple 01
4th Apr 2007, 14:58
Highland Park in future please!

AT's more an Iron Bru and meths type I hear.....

DummyRun
4th Apr 2007, 16:18
Nice one Flash:ok:

Pongo chum of mine sent it to me this morning and we had a bijou wager over how long it would take to find its way onto this hallowed forum, you rightly deserve all the praise heaped on you for your witty wordsmanship and quite caught me out with your "nom de plume"

Load moving.........

c130jbloke
4th Apr 2007, 16:34
Second that Flash....
C130JB

Descend to What Height?!?
4th Apr 2007, 16:51
:D :ok: :ok:
Flash,
FANTASTIC !!!!!

Do you want me to show it to CINC AIR COMMAND when he comes to this station in the next few weeks?
:eek: :E

An Teallach
4th Apr 2007, 17:06
Toorist - I'm quite partial to HP myself, though sadly I'm off it at the mo. It was the only decent malt stocked by my favourite Indian restaurant, now closed. The taste brings back a Pavlovian hankering for the finest Shahi Rogan Josh this side of Corbridge (The Valley and Curry Train from the Toon - highly recommended).

Maple - I hope your Tac Int was better when you were in! Now it appears to be E5.

Wipeout
4th Apr 2007, 18:17
Marvellous stuff! :D :D :D :D :D

Maple 01
4th Apr 2007, 20:46
You're right AT, my 'inspired guesswork' er, I mean well thought-out analysis is as accurate as ever.

You're cover's blown, you are Rab C

The world's going to the dogs since I was binned.

Bunker for sale :{ :{

http://www.northnorfolk.org/minutes/Cabinet/12%20Jun%202006/RAF%20Neatishead%20Position%20Paper%2030%2005%2006.pdf

Dunno how they got into the Int Vault 'cos I've still got the keys!

Too late to start a freelance airforce?

Mactlsm1
5th Apr 2007, 00:52
Maple,
WTF is "Iron Brew"

Surely you really meant "Irn Bru". Please get it right, us Irn Bru drinkers insist. Made in Scotland from Girders (apparently it really does contain a small percentage of Ferrous Oxide) By the way I swear by it, but I DO NOT mix it with Scotch.

BTW Lord F, love the thread, surely one of the future episodes should be......Biggles goes to HQ Air Cmd...only to find there is no room for him.

Mac

Maple 01
5th Apr 2007, 01:44
I said Iron Bru, I was one letter out, not two, blimey, that's a 85% accuracy rating - AT being a chap of refinement hasn't been back to complain about the accusation of mixing it with meths I notice, seems to be the only way to kill the taste IME

An Teallach
5th Apr 2007, 05:15
mixing it with meths I notice, seems to be the only way to kill the taste IME

Confession noted, Maple. Of course, the only correct answer to the question "How does a true Scotsman drink his whisky?" is "However, the **** he wants to drink it!" If you fancy it with Irn Bru, then good luck to you. Personally, I prefer my Irn Bru about 6-8 hours after my whisky: It's the second best hangover cure (after more whisky).

tonyosborne
5th Apr 2007, 08:03
So topical it's really quite scary, huzzah and harrah to you Mr Flashheart...

Zoom
5th Apr 2007, 08:39
It looks really good so I have downloaded it to my PDA to read on a flight to Belfast tomorrow. Have you done any more of these elsewhere on this forum?

Lord_Flashheart
5th Apr 2007, 09:03
Glad you folks like it - may have to up the frequency of this stuff if there's enough demand - there's always enough material....:}

seekayess

And would you permit me to repeat the story in another Group, another place, another time-zone?

Be my guest!

Training Risky
Did you write the previous instalment: 'Biggles defies the Beancounters', set in England 1941?

Guilty as charged your honour...

Descend to...
Do you want me to show it to CINC AIR COMMAND when he comes to this station in the next few weeks?

Only if you can get a get a photo of him reading it and post it here...:}

Zoom
Have you done any more of these elsewhere on this forum?

Erm...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227778

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234265

Maple

Freelance Air Force eh? - Sounds like a good title for something...;)

Toodle pip for now!

TMJ
5th Apr 2007, 09:37
Confession noted, Maple. Of course, the only correct answer to the question "How does a true Scotsman drink his whisky?" is "However, the **** he wants to drink it!" If you fancy it with Irn Bru, then good luck to you. Personally, I prefer my Irn Bru about 6-8 hours after my whisky: It's the second best hangover cure (after more whisky).

Which is probably why it's so popular in the home of Vodka...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/460001.stm
http://business.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=639&id=929692006

cornish-stormrider
5th Apr 2007, 09:43
once more ROTFLMAO,

seekayess
5th Apr 2007, 13:14
:}

In the beginning the AF Commanders Conference discussed a Plan.

And with the Plan there were Assumptions.

The CAS thought the Plan was without substance; and the Assumptions were without form. It would create problems if it ever became policy. But he asked the case to be taken up on file.

The staff in the concerned directorate spoke amongst themselves. They came to the honest conclusion that the Plan was “a pot of **** and it stank”.

But they had to be tactful, so the JD belled the cat in his concluding remarks on file, "It is a bucket of dung and it smells."

And the Director agreed, but toned down the language, saying to the ACAS, "It is a container of organic waste, and it has very strong odour.”

So the ACAS tried to convince the VCAS and said, "It is a vessel of fertiliser and none may abide its strength."

And the VCAS wrote on file, “It contains that which aids growth, and it is very strong."

The CAS figured that his staff were for the Plan and put it up to the Minister, noting, "It promotes growth, and it is very powerful."

The Minister also agreed.

And the so the Minister announced in Parliament, "This new plan will actively promote the growth and vigour of the Air Force with very powerful effects."

And thus the Plan became Policy.

And this is how **** happens.

:ugh: