PDA

View Full Version : Lost Outlook Express Folder!

Cameronian
3rd Apr 2007, 12:42
One of my Outlook Express folders disappeared this morning! I didnīt delete it and I still have the big .dbx file, presumably with all the messages it in as it is much bigger than all my other email folders (it had more emails in it). I've tried everything that Microsoft suggests, i.e. playing with Outlook Express, I've tried importing the file and different copies of it, I've tried a couple of freeware "recovery" programs to retrieve the e-mails from it. I was wondering if this had happened to any of you and how to solve the problem. I wouldn't be averse to trying another recovery program as others may work better. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

jetcollie
3rd Apr 2007, 13:42
Taking a simple approach - Have any of your remaining folders got a + beside them? If so, click on the + and see if your lost folder is now a subfolder. You can just left click on that 'lost' folder and drag and drop it onto local folders at the top. It should then be a primary folder again.

Cameronian
3rd Apr 2007, 14:54
Thanks for that, Jetcollie, but I have checked that but to no avail. Then I got started looking for help from Microsoft and elsewhere with the results which I have described above. The files disappeared in a flash - not as they do when using the normal elimination process when they sort of scroll away from the bottom. I think I have discovered the .dbx file but just can't reconnect it.

Cameronian
3rd Apr 2007, 18:11
I'm just bringing this back to the top in the hope of help because I am dying here! I've got more than 3000 of those most important e-mails which have been selected for retention and they're all hanging in the balance..... Help!

BOAC
3rd Apr 2007, 18:39
What is the name of the .dbx file and the folder it should show in? In the past when the dark forces of Gates have attacked I have found that renaming a .dbx file xxxx (1).dbx - note the space - has returned it to life. Might be worth a try, as it can be reversed if it does not work?

Cameronian
3rd Apr 2007, 19:49
Thanks for that idea, BOAC. I will try it and report back - though it may be in the morning due to social commitments which have been thrust upon me at short notice.

Mornington Crescent
3rd Apr 2007, 19:52
If the folder is missing I can't help.

But if all the contents are missing it could be -
View, Current View, Select show all messages.

It is a problem that I had

MC

obgraham
3rd Apr 2007, 21:11
How about going out to Yahoo or Hotmail and see if you can import the messages there, knowing where the dbx file is.
Otherwise, the dbx may be corrupt. Do you have a backup?

wgeorgec
5th Apr 2007, 02:42
Locate the folders file in the OE store directory rename it Folders.old no need for .dbx, shut down OE, restart the computer, open OE and hopefully your folders will have been rebuilt, if you need the directory path let me know, hope this will help, it did for me.

Cameronian
10th Apr 2007, 19:01
Thank you all very much indeed, all who have posted helpful suggestions so far. My failure to reply has been due to a complete inability to have my sign-in accepted (I'm told "thank you for signing in, Cameronian" and then sent straight back to the sign-in page to do it all over again.... This has happened a couple of times recently but gets fixed from afar when, once driven to distraction eventually, I e-mail PPRuNe for help). It has NOT been due to lack of appreciation on my part.
I have tried all of your suggestions, with the help of my much more computer literate daughter, but to no avail. None of the stuff on the Microsoft Outlook Express help page has helped either ("surprise, surprise!" can be heard....), nor have any of the shareware repair procedures which we have tried.
The inescapable conclusion is that the .dbx file has been corrupted. Sadly and inexcusably, obgraham, I have no backup. I had just bought an external superdensity DVD recorder to do just that - though I needed my daughter's help to set up the file selection process for copying. I was waiting for her to come out to Mallorca on vacation from university to do it for me when Murphy struck me with his Law!
I think I'll have to unplug the bl**dy thing and take it to the menders - unless anyone out there knows differently!!

Superpilot
13th Apr 2007, 12:14
Cameronian,

You say you can see the .dbx file but the folder is not appearing in OE right?
Try this:

1.) Create a brand new mail folder under Local Folders, call it Temp1

2.) Right click the newly created folder and choose Properties.

3.) Where it says "This folder is stored in the following file:", copy that entire file path (excluding the reference to Temp1.dbx) and paste it into a Windows Explorer address bar or manually navigate to the root folder that contains the dbx files.

For example:

C: \Documents and Settings\joe.bloggs\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ACEE249B-0C16-491C-B19E-348F8295C81C}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Temp1.dbx

(leave the Temp1.dbx out).

4.) Close OE. Delete the newly created Temp1.dbx file. Now rename your old mailbox file to "Temp1.dbx"

5.) Open OE. Check the contents of the OE Temp1 folder.

Sadly this is the only way to reconnect a simple mail database file to Outlook Express.

Superpilot
13th Apr 2007, 13:28
If that doesn't do it, then it's more than likely a corruption for which MS have issued a couple of patches you could try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069

Keef
13th Apr 2007, 13:58
There is, of course, a better answer that doesn't involve Outlook Express at all.