PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask??

Kempus
3rd Apr 2007, 12:05
Hey folks,

So your sat there in the interview, 1hr of getting asked to give another example of a time when you..... and then they ask you, any questions?

Now, apart from the questions regarding promotion, fleet expansion, how much money you gonna give me and when, what other questions are good to ask at an interview?

kempus

Luke SkyToddler
3rd Apr 2007, 12:36
questions regarding promotion, fleet expansion, how much money you gonna give me and when

Those are the WORST kind of questions you could possibly ask. You must must must leave that interview with the employer feeling warm fuzzies about how much YOU can give THEM and not vice versa.

Remember above all that the only purpose of the interview is to secure the job offer - you have all the time in the world to get the questions you really want answered once they've offered you the job.

Since the question time is probably the last part of the interview it's one of the most critical because it's your very last chance to create a good impression before you walk away and wait for the phone call. It's all about selling yourself right to the bitter end ...

"How long is the bond" is probably the worst possible opening gambit for a turboprop employer. In fact don't go down the road of pay / conditions / bonds / promotions etc at all.

Example of one that worked really well for me once was "If I get this job I'd like to buy a property in xxx town (half an hour's drive away), what is your time requirement for pilots on standby to report for duty, because I'm afraid it might be too far away?" Bingo, instantly made them think I really wanted the job and was in it for the long term because I'd already been looking to buy a house there.

Obviously it's got to be situation specific for the job but the trick is to load every question with something that's going to push their happy buttons. If you can't think of anything along those lines then it's better just to smile and say you've got no questions, than to ask awkward ones about what's in it for you.

Caudillo
3rd Apr 2007, 13:14
I'd certainly echo what Luke said. I've always found it to be a rather contrived part of the interview, and I'd suggest that it's the same for the interviewers. So I just say "no thanks" - they won't be able to tell you anything you won't find out when you get the job.

fiftypercentn1
3rd Apr 2007, 13:26
a good one is to say that at the mom u have no questions couse u answered them all by readin on the internet and by gettin as much info as possible about the company...

MajorYaw
3rd Apr 2007, 13:49
How about:

"Hey sweet cheeks, what are you doing after this interview?"

Or,

"By the way, did I tell you I was a pilot?"

Or,

"Would I be right in thinking you're the hottest interviewer in the company?"

:)

SpanwiseGlow
3rd Apr 2007, 22:46
Kempus,

What Luke said is sound advice - as I am sure you know, it is all about sending out the right signals to the interviewer.

What I have found is often a nice way to finish up with is to ask the interviewer ie the Chief Pilot / Base / Fleet Captain (whoever) how long they have been with the company and what got them started in Aviation.

It has always worked a treat for me and almost takes you outside of the realm of interviewer / interviewee.

Spanwise.