PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight

rick0
3rd Apr 2007, 11:31
Hi all,

I've just come back from my optician having been told that im 0.25 (dioptres?) away from the CAA's limit or something. The optician had this booklet with different ocupational requirements but she said the limit was -5.00? My left eye is 4.75 so im a little worried.... (I wear glasses)

Having said that - the document (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED-JARClass1InitialVisStds[2189].pdf) that I got from the Flyer Pro. Training exhibiton says it must NOT exceed -6.00 dioptres?

Could anyone enlighten me? :)

Also, is there an age limit to the class 1 medical? And is it a case of once you've got it, you're in?

Thanks

World of Tweed
3rd Apr 2007, 13:14
Hello Rick,

The document to which you refer is the official advice given by the CAA on vision for an "Initial" medical i.e. your first one. Its all on their website.

It would appear that from what you have said your optician is basing their advice on old information. That happened to me before I dug around abit. The latest standards were reviewed in Dec 2006 so she/he most likely hasn't updated their info yet. So you can help them :)

The CAA document is the standard by which your eyesight will be assessed when you go down to gatwick for your initial medical and in any case it is up to the Optometrist in LGW as to whether your eyesight is in or out of limits.

I suggest that you print and take a copy of the standards to your optician on your next visit and get them to check that you fit the regs. Alternatively you can write to the Medical Optometrist at the CAA with your prescription and they can advise you accordingly.

Not aware of any age limit - though the frequencies of your renewals (annually, 6months, every 3months) depend on age. Also the content of each renewal is often dictated by age.

Q: Once you've got it your in..... Errr No! :/

The medical is issued with an expiry date...so like almost everything else in aviation it must be renewed. However, the renewals are (usually) nowhere near as detailed (or expensive) as the initial one and can be conducted by a local AME rather than trudging down to Gatwick. Also I believe the eyesight limits are wider. don't quote me but its something like +8.0 to - 8.0.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

rick0
3rd Apr 2007, 13:25
World of Tweed thanks so much! really helpful, much appreciated :)

Im going back to my optician tomorow so i'll bring that document with me. As im coming up to 17 and, most probabaly, my eyesight will decline I had an idea of having my medical soonish - well, before it degrades too much - so I'll easily be within the limits. Is this advisable?

Cheers

planecrazy.eu
3rd Apr 2007, 14:02
I would say if you can get it, then get it "SOONER" rather than "LATER".

I did "Later", now i cant get a C1 Medical at the moment due to more or less the same diopter difference as you, i am +4.75 and + 5.25 and thats just out the limits.

However, i have been taken into this alternative thing and just waiting to see if in three months these ""Eye Exercises" can make .25 diopter difference, they claim more, so a little bit would be me. Thinking its a mind thing and wont make any "real" difference.

So yeah, get it now, if you get it now you wont kick you self when you get to the stage of needing it to train and finding you can get it, you also safe-guard against CAA changes, as they told me the standards will not get any more lax, just tighter.

Go for it and good luck...

One thing, all you need to know from the optician is...

Can i read the 6/6 line with both eyes or better and if you have a lazy eye, can the lazy eye see 6/9 or better... If its a yes, go take the test, also, the CAA are great, post your opticians report to them and they will advise you from there...

World of Tweed
3rd Apr 2007, 19:26
No Probs rick,

I would also say that if you can afford it get the C1 now - its out of the way and at least you'll know one way or the other. Don't mean to be a damp sqib but there are loads of other items that you could be unlucky with in the medical sense. Its best to find out at the start really before you;ve spent any real money.

However from the sounds of it I'm sure you'll be fine.

All the best and good luck.

WoT