PDA

View Full Version : Private flying in Dubai

Ultralights
3rd Apr 2007, 10:46
I have been offered an opportunity to work in Dubai for a few yrs, an option i am seriously considering taking, but as i own my own aircraft, will it be possible to fly it from Dubai? does Dubai have a general aviation scene or is it Airline and Military air only in Saudi?
I don't think i would be able to cope as long if i cant get some private airtime! not to mention, Saudi sounds like an interesting place to explore by air!

GK430
3rd Apr 2007, 11:20
I think you will find your options are quite limited.
There is a flying school/training centre using Cherokees etc. at the DXB International Airport. (Well they were last time I was there).
Saudi has nothing to do with it - you will be in the U.A.E.! Dubai being one of them.
There is an airfield up at Umm Al Quain where there is a parachute school and possibly one or two G.A. aircraft.
There is also an organistion, Jazirah Aviation up in RAK with a small strip with Jetfoxes and other ultralights. Been there a couple of times. Very relaxed, but destinations are limited.
Can't help on taking your own machine but there are local Civil Aviation Authorities for individual emirates and the General one for all the UAE.

Dave Gittins
3rd Apr 2007, 11:58
Does anybody have any info about private flying in the region in general ??? I don't have a plane, being a renter at a couple of clubs in the SE but there are serious possibilities of work taking me to either Doha, in Qatar or to Abu Dhabi. Are there any clubs / schools about ? and do they recognise JAR or FAA licenses ???

DGG

Airgus
3rd Apr 2007, 17:06
I lived two years in DXB, bad place for GA for the following reasons:
1) Not professional (schools)
2) too expensive (prices are similar to Europe or even more expensive, where there is no reason to have this kind of price since the quality is much lower).
3) weather: you have two seasons: summer and Hell, forget to fly GA during the HELL season (april to october).
4) flying in DXB: they will keep you with the engine running until they can put you amongst the airliners... in one hour that you are being charged, probably you spent 0.6 of it taxiing.

Masalama habibi!