PDA

View Full Version : MS Outlook - Mailbox Overloaded

Marloo
3rd Apr 2007, 02:30
I run MS outlook for email and am continually getting messages that my mailbox is approaching full quota. I suspect I am not clearing it from the server - I can find instructions on how to adjust the settings to do this for outlook express but not for outlook(2003) - so if you can take me through this I would be grateful.

Also my PC setup is pretty basic but for some reason I bought Dell network assistant when I bought the PC - does anyone know how to turn the damm thing off! (spent an hour rooting around here to no avail)

vapilot2004
3rd Apr 2007, 07:54
The quota message should only appear in an Exchange Server enviroment. If the computer is configured to use an Exchange Server email system, your company's network person may be able to help you quickly resolve this.

Have a look into your inbox(es) and if multiple attachments seem to add up to many megabytes (1-200+), you can save the attachments yourself, then delete the original emails and keep the company network guy busy poking around another's PC besides yours. :)

The Dell network assistant can be removed from add/remove programs in control panel. Be sure to check Show Updates box in upper right to show all.

Good Luck!

aeroBits
3rd Apr 2007, 08:19
As vapilot points out, you normally get the Mailbox size warning by email if you are in a corporate exchange environment. In that case, the quote counts everything stoed on the server, including your drafts, deleted items, sent items, and calendar.

It's always worth emptying those you don't need, especially deleted and sent items often hold many megs of useless data.

If you are running a POP3 account or IMAP, i.e. the typical home email account where you pull information from your server to your local computer, the settings can be found in Tools/email accounts.

hope this helps

Man-on-the-fence
10th Apr 2007, 11:26
IIRC the maximum size of a .pst file (the file where your mailbox is kept) is 1.8GB. Anything beyond that Outlook cant cope with.

Saab Dastard
10th Apr 2007, 15:57
maximum size of a .pst file is 1.8GB

True of older Outlook clients, but not so any more (at least since Outlook 2003) - see Set size limit for .pst and .ost files (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925)

BTW, the equivalent files in Outlook Express have .DBX extensions.

SD

Man-on-the-fence
10th Apr 2007, 17:44
My dear Mr Dastard, I trust you are well. Long time no see.
Not having too much Outlook 2003 experiance can you tell me what the default size is please.

Saab Dastard
10th Apr 2007, 18:11
Hi there MOTF, indeed LTNS!

I look forward to seeing more of your superb photos this year, once the "season" gets under way :ok:

The "default" size is configurable, up to a whopping 20GB, via the registry, providing that it is a Unicode store, rather than ANSI.

But I think that anything larger than 50% of the RAM on your system is somewhat academic!

The TOTAL of all my emails for the last 4 years is just under 0.9 GB, and no individual folder is larger than 180 MB - to put this in context.

SD