PDA

View Full Version : PC Will not boot up for 30 mins !!

nav3
2nd Apr 2007, 22:24
Have done a seach in this section but cannot find anything specific to my problem :

My PC works fine on ALL programs and has all the usual security stuff on it and a good firewall. I normally leave it running 24/7. However, I recently had to restart the PC following a system update and having shut down, then restarted it but nothing happened except for the fan coming on and the 'Intel P4' logo appearing on screen....no boot up...nothing but silence........... followed by a period of EXACTLY 30 minutes when nothing happens at all !! Then after 30 mins the computer springs into life and boots up again as normal. No faults at all apart from that, everything continues to work.....just have not got a clue what the problem might be. I am reasonably computer literate and have tried the usual things but this is a new one on me.

It is an Advent T9404 which is about 2 years old and never had a problem until now. P4 3.4ghz Intel, and 1 gb ram and 180gb Hard Drive and running XP with service pack 2.

Anybody any ideas please ? I cannot even get into the boot device using recovery discs or Norton emergency start up discs. i cannot either get into the safe mode until 30 mins has elapsed and it starts to boot up !!:hmm:

Busta
2nd Apr 2007, 23:46
Had something similar a while ago, didn't time the boot sequence. The solution was to switch off, disconnect the mains supply, press and hold the "on" button for 10 seconds, reconnect and power up - worked like a charm, but I don't know why!

Nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

spannersatcx
3rd Apr 2007, 08:44
I know you said it worked, but what has holding the power on button with the mains disconnected got to do with anything?

Sounds like a possible, capacitor/chip of some sorts once discharged (power off) doesn't like it and takes a while to warm up again, HDD can have the same problem not spinning up fast enough to allow the boot etc. Could be a multitude of things really.

almost legal
3rd Apr 2007, 13:22
Had a similar problem. Asked the manufacturers and got this reply :

" This may be a problem related to a build-up in the Power Supply. With the machine powered off, remove the mains lead and then press and hold the power switch for about 15 seconds. Also remove any peripherals from the PC (printers, scanners, cameras etc) leaving only monitor, mouse and keyboard connected. Then re-insert the mains lead and try to power on again.

Also if the machine is on a surge protector please remove this."

Have done this but am still getting the problem from time to time

jay_hl
3rd Apr 2007, 16:15
Don't know if this will help but:

I have a T9403. Suddenly the computer failed and after being told that it was a MoBo (Motherboard) failure, it turned out to be power supply problem.

Replaced the power supply, and all has been fine since. Touch Wood!!! :ok:

spycatcher
3rd Apr 2007, 18:56
i would be checking msconfig and find out all the processes that are starting up in the background. Also the event log might give some clues

Keef
4th Apr 2007, 00:22
It does sound a bit like an ATX power supply failing to start.

Replacements are available, and aren't scarily expensive. Make sure you get a big enough one (last time I did one, a 250 watt was replaced with a 400 watt).

Cypherus
4th Apr 2007, 05:37
Replacing a PSU is around a ten minute task with the only hard part being to make enough room to slide out the old unit and the new one back in again, but the more I read this one the more I have the feeling that something is holding the boot process up, as the P4 display item is comming direct from the bios. but too have power too the fans and then a delayed boot with normal operation from that point, I doubt the PSU is toast

Few quick check things you can try without a lot of dismantling, first off unplug the CD/DVD drive, both power and ribbon cables, and try again.

Then checking still with the CD/DVD drive disconnected to see if the HDD is spinning up correctly.

If this provides no solution try unplugging the unit from the mains and popping out the Bios battery for ten minutes to allow the board to discharge and reset the CMOS to default, pop the battery back in again and try a boot once more, if it boots correctly with no further problems I would guess something has altered in CMOS, possibly in the power saving area, if it boots once OK followed by faulty boots, I would be looking for a replacement Mainboard as this one is probably going home.

nav3
12th Apr 2007, 18:00
Many thanks to everyone for the help and advice. ....the trick with the 15 seconds of holding the power button 'in' has worked !! :D :)