PDA

View Full Version : <XP multiple log-ons & start-up utilities>

Juud
2nd Apr 2007, 16:11
I have dutifully done a search for earlier topics, and have found related threads that only confused me more (no need to go into whose fault that is ;) )

As per advice on this forum, on the family desk-top PC, XP is set up with an Admin log-on with all powers, and 4 separate limited power log-ons for each family member.
Does an operation (Norton update, AdAware scan) performed in Admin log-on mode work for the whole computer?
And does the same operation when logged on as a user only work in that users 'space'?

Start up for each user is painfully slow. When I type MSCONFIG into 'run' I get a list of 13 different names. I recognise 3 or 4 of these, so no idea what I can and cannot disable to speed things up. Have had a look at the BlackViper website, and when I do things as per him and type 'services.msc' into the run box, I get a list of about 50 incomprehensible items.
Any simple ideas about how I would know which start up utilities I could safely 'stop from starting' ?

Grateful for any and all enlightenment :hmm: :)

frostbite
2nd Apr 2007, 16:50
There is a freeware utility called 'What's Running' that gives a lot of information on all active programs. and more besides. You can get it from http://whatsrunning.net

As to question 1. I would say that in Admin mode, a scan covers all.

Juud
3rd Apr 2007, 17:02
Thanks for that frostbite. :)

Problem is; I am not computer literate enough to understand what to with something like 'whatsrunning' or 'blackviper'. From past experiemce, I am likely to delete something vital and then the PC will be worse off.

Oh well, guess there's not much for it then. :hmm:

Cypherus
3rd Apr 2007, 20:41
Only takes a little time and reading too determine what each of your ‘Start Up’ items are and as a result if they can, should or should not be turned off.

In MSCONFIG place the mouse pointer on the small vertical bar directly after the word ‘Command’ on the header bar and drag it to the right to expose the full location address area.

Then read along each line to locate the ‘.exe.’ an example would be for the Quicktime player which would read ‘qttask.exe’

Open your browser and type just that into the search bar for a result on the associated process to which the .exe is registered too.

You will get any number of hits but I tend to use liutilites site as it normally comes up first and returns for this one as follows:

qttask.exe produced by Apple, installs a tray bar icon which links to the Apple QuickTime video streaming tool. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for ease of use.

From this you can easily see it is written by Apple and more importantly is NOT an essential system process so you can shut it down without causing a problem.

If you do this for all the entries, and I know it will take a little time, you will not only find out what processes you have running that start at boot and which yo can safely shut down, but also learn a little more about the way your computer works.

If you still have trouble with the list, type it up or take a screen shot and post it here and I am sure one of us will quickly let you know what’s what and how to proceed.

As for the Norton/Adaware scan, if done from the admin account both will scan the full hard drive…if done from a user account Norton will still scan the full hard drive I do know, but as for Adaware, it’s settings state it can scan the whole system just not certain it will from a limited account scan areas not normally accessible from that account, suggest an email to Adaware’s support might be the best way to get an answer on this one.

BOAC
3rd Apr 2007, 20:55
Regarding start-up items, Juud, if you have the patience/time this web site (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php)will explain a little more about them, although Cypherus really has the only practical solution to your query as to whether you need them.

Just to make your headache worse, not only are there start-up programmes, but there are 'services' that start on boot, a lot of which (http://cybercoyote.org/security/services.shtml)you probably do not need.

Juud
6th Apr 2007, 15:26
OK.
*iBook fired up next to PC, this thread and instructions from you kind gentlemen displayed.
*Logged onto PC as Administrator and about to start ´fiddling´.

<deep breath>

:ooh:

BOAC
6th Apr 2007, 19:05
Will we ever see you again..................................:)

Juud
6th Apr 2007, 19:06
BACK!!! ;)

Not for the fainthearted this. Using cypherus´method, I found and unchecked a number og items and YESSSSS log-on is now considerably faster. :ok:

After that, I went to the cybercoyote-site as recommended by BOAC, and furiously translating commands from English to Norwegian, managed to find the list with services/tjenester.
It´s long indeed, and many of the items are mentioned in the extensive list on the website as being better off with a changed status.
Not as easy as it seems though.

Example. Indexing Service is apparently The Enemy. Highlighting that gives me the option to either stop or start again. Click on stop and it then appears as ´manual´.
Coyote wants me to disable it, but how do I do that?
:confused:

BOAC
6th Apr 2007, 20:38
We all knew you were not fainthearted, Juud .:ok:

Right click on the service, select 'properties' and select 'Manual' or 'Disabled' to taste. I recommend 'Manual' until you have found your 'feet':)

Keef
6th Apr 2007, 22:18
Indexing Service is an excellent candidate for switching OFF.

Cypherus
7th Apr 2007, 00:47
Thats were you can make use of BlackVipers little offering as his explanations of each service and the recomendations he makes on them will by trial and error force an improvement in performance, however it is not without it's risks as some programs you may require may use some of the obscure services listed there. Short hint on how far you can go with it is that I have managed to get a fully working computer with net connection running with as little as eight services, did not go into how secure or stable it was at the time but it can be done.

Juud
8th Apr 2007, 11:00
We all knew you were not fainthearted, Juud .:ok:

BOAC, how about understimating what I'm up against though? ;)

This is starting to be fun. :ok:
Have disbaled/manualised a goodly number of services as per BlackViper/liutilities. The whole thing is now actually starting to become noticably faster.
Only 8 cypherus? Still got over 40 of the bøggers running here :(
Any more tips about where to go to find out what else can safely be axed?

1 unwanted consequence is the inability to 'switch user' now. Gotta log off and the next on. This despite the fact that I didn't touch the 'fast user switching compatibility. Not a major hassle, but wondxering what caused it.

Cypherus
8th Apr 2007, 20:20
The eight services example is only that, an experiment in how many services could actually be hacked off the list and still have a working computer connected too the internet at the end of it and eight was the minimum I got down too, however nothing much else worked correctly at all, so I suggest that unless your on a learning curve high currently and don't mind having an almost usless computer till you reset everything, carry on.

As to the Black Vipers offering, I said right out that it was a trial an error journey and it is just that, you may need to back track a number of times to arrive at an acceptable solution to your requirements, plain quest for speed or just one that runs fast enough, either way it's down to the hardware in the end.

To fast user switching not working, a number of things can cause this, some unrelated to services, one such is 'Off line files' being enabled.

First make sure you are not on a domain, next make sure that fast user switching is enabled, if you have set it to manual in services reset it too automatic and restart the service, In this case sounds like you may have turned 'off' Terminal services which will knock out F.U.S. check it is enabled again on automatic and restart it then try again.

BOAC
9th Apr 2007, 07:58
Juud - lots of 'tweaks' here (http://http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm) and item 34 should restore your 'FUS' (in the best possible taste, of course:) )

tallsandwich
9th Apr 2007, 21:25
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

free tools, some more friendly than others.

Look at Autoruns and Processs Explorer / Process Monitor.