PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find a Schweizer school

ToTall
2nd Apr 2007, 07:45
in the US that are good and serious?

Anybody?

Helipilot1982
2nd Apr 2007, 09:28
I know HAI in florida are mostly schweizers - never been there though so cant comment on their reputation. There is also group3avaition in Van Nuys (LA) but again I have never been taught by them.

I have however visited western helicopters in Rialto (calif) whilst on a photo shoot and spoke to the chief pilot and CFI. They both had an awful lot of experience each and seemed extremely knowledgeable. There outfit for training is quite small but they do alot of commercial work. Worth a phone call

Hope this helps

BaronG
2nd Apr 2007, 10:23
Schweizer maintains a list of schools on its website :

http://www.sacusa.com/1directory/states.asp?category=FS

I used it for job huunting :) and it's probably a bit out of date but worth a look.

As the other poster mentioned HAI are the biggest user of Schweizers in the USA.

BG

Kopterman
2nd Apr 2007, 11:40
I can highly recommend HAI in Tittesville, Florida which is where I learnt to fly. I think they have just been bought by Bristows but speak to Sammantha there as she is very knowledgable and extremely helpful. (If you go to their website, they even have a free phone number to call them on).

Good luck.

No Speed
2nd Apr 2007, 12:10
Definitely recommend Tittusville. Flew into there last month while out hour-building in Florida to check the place out and was very impressed with the set-up. Will be going back there beginning of next year to do my JAA CPL.

ekardj
2nd Apr 2007, 20:57
Tomlinson Aviation in Ormond Beach just north of Daytona in Florida teach using Schweizers. I started flying there while on vacation in US and thought they were great. Very friendly, and Neil Tomlinson is very experienced teacher of many types of helicopter. He has two (or three now) instructors who were extremely good, friendly and professional. The hangar and offices are well equiped, spotlessly clean and they are very safety minded. I would certainly recommend them. The website states they are opening up another site in I think North Carolina.

ssbb
3rd Apr 2007, 15:20
Blue Hill Helicopters.
Small school in New England but they plan to grow the business. Good bunch of lads there, ask for Steve.

Rushes
3rd Apr 2007, 18:22
HAI Definatley a top spot, especially if you are considering JAA qualifications. Speak to Sam and she'll sort you out.

R

Lightning_Boy
3rd Apr 2007, 20:32
From previous post....I'm guessing TT trainied at HAI and is now looking for a CFI postion in a schweizer school?

Wanna-be
3rd Apr 2007, 22:05
I think HAI Florida hires only their students, or am I wrong?

HELOFAN
3rd Apr 2007, 23:47
I dont think that is correct

4th Apr 2007, 11:01
HAI will defintely NOT hire someone they haven't trained

cougar77
4th Apr 2007, 11:20
However, things may be different after they become Bristow Academy.

Heliplane
4th Apr 2007, 13:43
Try Civic Helicopters - very friendly outfit at Palomar Airport in Carlsbad (just north of San Diego). Much nicer part of the world IMHO.

http://www.civichelicopters.com/

gwelo shamwari
4th Apr 2007, 14:20
91205 - Yes HAI/BAI do hire people that they do not train. I know two people who work there presently - where hired when I was working there a few months ago.

I would be careful of going over and receiving primary training while on holiday. This could land you in hot water. To receive primary training you first need to get TSA approval, which is a long drawn out process.

I have been to a number of schools, and personally think that if you want quality training HAI/BAI is the way to go. This is not to say that a small mom and pop shop is not as good.

TGZ

ToTall
4th Apr 2007, 16:38
Lightning Boy and thecontroller: both is so right. I did not train at HAI - Florida but HAI - Oregon.
Yes I am looking for a CFI JOB - anybody wanna help a lost soul in the big helicopter world. Schweizer and R44 is where I have my houres. Have some on the R22 but nothing to brag about :-)

Good jobb LB and thecontroller :}

gwelo shamwari
4th Apr 2007, 16:58
HAI - Oregon???

:ok:

Good luck mate, I would go to the schweizer web page and then start calling and visting all the schools that they list.