PDA

View Full Version : Photographing plane spotters

IO540
1st Apr 2007, 20:39
Is it legal to take telephone lens photos of plane spotters, optionally with their car number plates, and put the information on some website? Moreover, is it OK to claim copyright on the photos?

I am sure you all know exactly why I am asking the question :)

rufus.t.firefly
1st Apr 2007, 21:00
For what purpose ? a true aviation enthusiast/plane spotter does no harm.

ShyTorque
1st Apr 2007, 21:03
Sounds bit kinky, if you ask me....... :oh:

Gingerbread Man
1st Apr 2007, 21:11
I am sure you all know exactly why I am asking the question

I'm not sure I do.

Mixed Up
1st Apr 2007, 21:17
telephone lens photos

:confused:

wsmempson
1st Apr 2007, 21:37
I flew into Duxford last week and a crowd of cheeky school-girls all took snaps and then shouted saucy things at me as I left the aircraft to pay my landing fee (still at the bloody shop where you stand in a queue behind a load of very s l o w pensioners....) which made a change;) .

To be honest, I thought it rather flattering....(not the queue behind the pensioners, mind) live and let live

eharding
1st Apr 2007, 21:38
Yup - mostly harmless, apart from the odd freak who delights in complaining to the CAA about reg-exempt paint schemes.

The CAA are quite happy to put your details on a public website...

IO540
1st Apr 2007, 21:50
I agree it's harmless but somehow I think the spotters wouldn't be happy about what I suggested :)

EvilKitty
1st Apr 2007, 23:55
As long as the subject is in a public place then there's not much reason why not. And photos taken in less than public places never seems to stop the paparazzi from selling to the highest bidder.

Copyright of a photograph resides with whoever takes the photograph unless the is some sort of contract in place which says otherwise.

So you can do with the photos whatever you wish.

Within the bounds of what the ANO dictacts about PPL and CPL privileges of course.

Will Hung
2nd Apr 2007, 07:06
I'm off to Duxford !

TheGorrilla
2nd Apr 2007, 07:58
Me too!!! Just off to get a hair cut and a new flying suit first. :cool:

robione
2nd Apr 2007, 09:43
I havent laughed that hard for a while,some comedians in here,keep it up,cheered me up no end

Flybywyre
2nd Apr 2007, 11:25
I agree it's harmless but somehow I think the spotters wouldn't be happy about what I suggested
What colour is the sky in your world ?

david viewing
2nd Apr 2007, 12:28
I will admit to feeling a slight irritation at all those telephoto lenses, especially when I trip over the chocks or something during pre-flight. But individually they seem to be perfectly nice people.

That's the problem I think. IO540's idea would fall at the hurdle of indvading their privacy or something. After all, they are just harmless people admiring the work of others who they look up to (not sure about that bit). IO540's plan would be seen as personally malicious, wheras their constant clicking away is seen as impersonal (photographing a plane, not the owner) and therefore innocent.

We're stuck with it. What we need to do is get airfield owners to charge a modest amount (£5/day say) for a permit and put the result toward lowering our landing fees. Good business for the cafe, keeps the spotters under control in a compound, subsidises flying which means more aircraft to spot. It works on the railway so why not here?

youngskywalker
2nd Apr 2007, 13:20
Ok I'll bite! The vast majority are harmless that's true. However, a friend of mine used pictures of HIS aircraft with him behind the controls on HIS own website, of course the pics were found on airliners.net, within days the photographer found out and started legal action for breach of copyright. Whilst he may be legally in the right I cant help but think... TOS@#r

He came into our club house, uninvited, took the pics of our aircraft then complained when we tried to use them.:mad:

ifonly
2nd Apr 2007, 16:10
....Which just goes to show there is a market for pictures of aircraft - but for pictures of a bloke wearing an anorak and driving an old Mondeo ...I don't think so.

tangovictor
2nd Apr 2007, 16:48
the copyright laws alter from country to country, as I see it here in the UK
in public, there's no problem photographing anyone, as long as >
and that the photographer doesn't sell them, if sold, the person being photographed should sign a " model release " form, giving you the rights.
it is a bit of a mine field, "god" being the supplier of the light used, ie the sun

S-Works
2nd Apr 2007, 17:34
I was photographed recently by one of those yellow cameras by the side of the road. Do the copyright laws allow me to prevent them making a profit from using my picture without permission........... :p

Swede80
2nd Apr 2007, 18:29
You only need a model release if the photo is used for commercial purposes and the person in it can be clearly recognized. For editorial use no release is needed.

GK430
2nd Apr 2007, 19:09
Cracking Bose X
Hope no yellow boxes along the Spanhoe rwy:D
IO540 - You're kidding right:ugh:
Most pilots want a decent photo of them in the plane. If you bounce an arrival it's hard to see that in one 750th of a second in a still - unless you did it in a "Heavy" and burned lots of rubber.
Okay, I'm not a spotter but use images for commercial purposes, but the times I have sent images by e-mail or even posted discs around the world at my expense, buckshee..............
I'm waiting for a friend who supplies the same aviation library to get some good shots of me in the plane.
There's one I really like of me flying one plane on one of the opposition's www. and I sure ain't paying for it:(
Just got to be very careful to get parental approval for images of offspring apart from that, the camera only captures what the eye sees and records.
So IO540, is your plane on the G-INFO link;) If not let me know what, when and where and provided it's a nice sunny day.................snap!

Flash0710
2nd Apr 2007, 22:50
TheGorrilla wrote
Me too!!! Just off to get a hair cut and a new flying suit first.
Seriously don't worry about that....
luv
xxx
f

tangovictor
3rd Apr 2007, 10:24
the camera only captures what the eye sees and records.

thats before Photoshop, the day's of the"camera never lies" has well expired.

GK430
3rd Apr 2007, 11:23
Indeed, but even Photoshop requires images to merge and play with - if you're fooled by them.....:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/0838SS.jpg
Which is the Falcon 900:ooh:
Did this Cherokee pass by here?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/Cherokeepast.jpg

BRL
3rd Apr 2007, 12:23
These spotters get everywhere, how did this one get this picture..........

http://www.dubtrub.freeuk.com/Dscf2207.reduced.jpg

Wessex Boy
3rd Apr 2007, 12:30
....I hate it when they hide on your roof then poke their lens over at the most inappropriate times.....:ooh:

Pitts2112
3rd Apr 2007, 12:55
I recognise that red repair patch. Great little airoplane, isn't she?

Were it our own Dubtrub wot took that one?

Pitts2112

Kit d'Rection KG
3rd Apr 2007, 19:12
Hmmm,

Someone took a close-up of me in a 'classic' VIP transport aircraft in Europe, and published it on a website (yes, I was looking particularly handsome that day :eek:). I complained to the webmaster and it was removed post-haste without a problem.

Reason that I gave was that the type of operation meant it wasn't sensible to be identified with the aircraft, not just plain vanity - oh, and the operation has ceased, by the way. However, I do think that 'spotting' is a pretty sad way for grown-ups to spend their time... Personal opinion only, mind you...

DBChopper
3rd Apr 2007, 19:53
However, I do think that 'spotting' is a pretty sad way for grown-ups to spend their time... Personal opinion only, mind you...

If by "spotting" you mean driving to an airfield and sitting, watching and photographing aircraft, then I can see the attraction, but it's the frantic scribbling of registrations in notebooks that I don't understand. Can anyone explain why they do that?

:confused:

Fuji Abound
3rd Apr 2007, 20:21
I asked once.

The fella said he just tried to record as many registrations as he could. He was aiming to be able to say he had seen more aircraft on the G reg than anyone else.

Stange thing is I asked him about Sia's - he knew everone on the UK register by registration alone I am convinced - worrying, very worrying.

Of course there are some tecnical terms you need to know and this thread is apparently about:

"Graphing an aircraft"

But you will also need to understand:

"Poling off"

"Clearing a drome"

"Pond hopper"

and

"Fleeting"

Please dont ask me how I know!

Kit d'Rection KG
3rd Apr 2007, 20:35
...and to think, evolution got us this far...

God knows what intelligent design would have produced...

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

IO540
3rd Apr 2007, 20:46
but it's the frantic scribbling of registrations in notebooks that I don't understand

The stuff ends up on countless spotter websites e.g.

http://uk.geocities.com/bigginhill_uk/move/move.htm

http://home.freeuk.com/redmike/may99.html

http://www.flybhx.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1494&sid=a678864656b1e7e38474887fee7cc6ca

http://www.airport-data.com/manuf/Piper_Aircraft_Corporation;5.html

http://www20.brinkster.com/dlenton/search/tbindex.asp

http://www.gloster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/movements/apr05.htm

and there are many many more with photos.

Do a google on your tail number and see what turns up.

BRL
3rd Apr 2007, 21:12
I recognise that red repair patch. Great little airoplane, isn't she?

Were it our own Dubtrub wot took that one?

Pitts2112

Correct mate, well spotted!!

It was indeed the man himself who took the picture, I didn't even know he had taken it until he emailed it to me!

It is a great aeroplane indeed. I felt very privileged to be allowed to have a go of it, I was over the moon when we landed :)

eharding
3rd Apr 2007, 21:33
Me too!!! Just off to get a hair cut and a new flying suit first.

Mate - I could have sworn you where wearing your new flying suit in the hangar the other day....good job you didn't have the bottle to wear it into the clubhouse for lunch - would have looked like the Hindenberg in collision with a bowl of apple crumble & custard.

Kolibear
4th Apr 2007, 07:48
I think its time This thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128992) had another airing...

Newforest
4th Apr 2007, 10:26
I wish you hadn't put that link there, that's half my day gone, what a laugh! But whatever happened to the Pink aviator, that's a loss?!

Wessex Boy
4th Apr 2007, 10:32
We sometimes get loads at Conington which confuses me, they all sit under the approach. I am tempted sometimes to make my approaches a bit lower.....:E

gingernut
4th Apr 2007, 10:47
I know it's a bit nurdy, and I should no better.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSCN2601.jpg

But they are glorious machines arn't they.:)

gpn01
4th Apr 2007, 13:00
"If by "spotting" you mean driving to an airfield and sitting, watching and photographing aircraft, then I can see the attraction, but it's the frantic scribbling of registrations in notebooks that I don't understand. Can anyone explain why they do that?"

Nope.

Can't explain logically why grown men pay £30+ to go and freeze for two hours whilst watching a group of overpaid individuals kick a piece of leather between each other. They don't even get to have a go themselves!

Don't understand why people hire an aircraft at £120+ per hour to go and fly somewhere, have a cup of coffee, and fly back.

Don't see why people drive in Central London when there's the Tube.
Don't see why people use the Tube when theycan walk.

.....Actually there's probably reasons for all of these things that people do. All because I don't understand it doesn't make it wrong or stupid though.

rufus.t.firefly
4th Apr 2007, 18:57
Interesting thread , I'd like to think that all aviators whether professional or recreational were enthusiasts once , and still are to some extent....

The so called "spotters" are usually aspiring aviators who either make it into an aviation career or pastime or dont due to financial or personal constraints
and circumstances.

Lets not tar them as odd balls or crackpots ............. I sometimes consider some aviators as oddballs aswell in their own perculiar way .......... and I've come across a few of those in my time !!

Next time you taxi out , say cheese and give that spotter a friendly wave

:ok: :ok:

Chris Royle
4th Apr 2007, 19:18
Well said Rufus. Live and let live.

TheGorrilla
4th Apr 2007, 19:35
"Mate - I could have sworn you where wearing your new flying suit in the hangar the other day...."

eharding.... I thought that was a little secret between you and I! Just don't tell Flash he may get excited. :}

Wessex Boy
5th Apr 2007, 09:05
I must admit to pulling a few poses out of the Wessex door when flying near the crash gates during school holidays, the place would be teeming with kids and their Dads.

Standing out on the step during talkdown was de-rigeur:O :uhoh: :\

Bit more difficult in the Warrior!

Still, if you've got it, flaunt it:cool:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p219/atkinsjs/Wessex.jpg

Will Hung
6th Apr 2007, 10:32
That chopper doesn't get any better looking does it !

Tiger8
6th Apr 2007, 10:56
I have never found the need to register and post,until I read this one.
My father brought me up,watching planes at Prestwick,and it was his influence that got me into the wonderful world that is aviation.
Sure I started off `number crunching` before moving on to photography,which at nearly 40,I still do,running my own website,and supplying airlines and aviation magazines with images.
I am also a PPL,having gained my licence back in 2002,a feat I dedicated to my late dad.
I cannot believe the arrogance of some posters here,going on about the `anorak brigade`
Sure there will always be some that test the boudaries(I laughed at the Jet Provest post)but not all aviation enthusiasts are freaks.
The majority just enjoy aviation,pure and simple!!
Safe flying over Easter folks.

False Capture
6th Apr 2007, 11:58
eharding,

Was it a Flying-Suit or a Gorrilla-Suit? Either way it couldn't have been a pleasant sight.:eek:

Atcham Tower
7th Apr 2007, 15:42
Rufus, you are absolutely right. I know a lot of spotters who eventually made it into professional and/or private aviation, myself included! Don't knock 'em guys; they are one of your best allies.

Wessex Boy
9th Apr 2007, 14:47
"That chopper doesn't get any better looking does it !"

She was Queen of the skies!!!:cool:

Bigwings
9th Apr 2007, 21:19
However, I do think that 'spotting' is a pretty sad way for grown-ups to spend their time... Personal opinion only, mind you...

I know a few extremely accomplished pilots who also have a very keen interest in aviation photography, that makes them sad does it???

Must point that out to them the next time we meet :rolleyes:

EGCC4284
9th Apr 2007, 23:04
My friend who travels the world taking aircraft pictures got a good one of me last weekend landing at Barton. I am sooo pleased to get a great shot of my 150.

I was once a bit of a spotter. Don't get me wrong, none of that registration writing down stuff, just sitting down at The Airport Hotel at Manchester watching them come into land.

I use to daydream about being a pilot. 10 years later, I am going to be one flying 737's soon.

Spotters envy pilots for doing what they do. Give them the time of day.

If you wave, I will wave back.

Regards EGCC4284

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e162/EGCC4284/GBBKYabouttotouch.jpg

flyingsteve55
10th Apr 2007, 11:42
Having seen the very "unusual" bunch hanging around the car park at Blackbushe on Saturday I think the case for termination of the spotter species is sound. Decidedly dodgy looking to say the least and all in the same uniform too.

scooter boy
10th Apr 2007, 17:25
<the very "unusual" bunch hanging around the car park at Blackbushe on Saturday>

FlyingSteve, they weren't spotters that was the Al-Qaeda flying group trying to blend in with their surroundings. :E

As an ex-trainspotter :8(whose interest in girls triggered throwing away all my locoshed books - I realised that the chicks really didn't dig trains and if they were ever going to dig me the trains had to go) I have sympathy for the spotters.

Live and let live - we are living their dreams.:ok:

SB

flyingsteve55
10th Apr 2007, 18:24
You are quite right scooter boy. The Al Qaeida thing explains the beards - how could I have missed it. I have to admit I did do some spotting when iw as a nipper having been brought up in spitting distance of LHR, but I got better by the age of 14 or 15 when girls had more to keep me interested. Each to their own!

Papa Charlie
10th Apr 2007, 18:59
Tiger8,
Well said! Quite agree. :D