PDA

View Full Version : Raised Thyroxin level

inditrees
1st Apr 2007, 17:44
I have just been informed that i have a raised Thyroxin level (from a TSH of7.3 to 9.9) and am wondering if this will affect my ability to retain my class 1 medical certificate.
Are there major problems associated with this condition, as im now beginning to get worried.

Any advice would be most welcome. Indi

obgraham
1st Apr 2007, 19:08
You haven't got the story quite right, Indi. To oversimplify:

TSH is "Thyroid stimulating hormone", and goes UP when your thyroid level is too low. Like the TSH is working harder to thrash out the last bit of thyroid function.
Thyroxine is the actual level of thyroid hormone in the blood.

So: Thyroid too low = Low Thyroxine, High TSH. Treatment is Thyroxine pill. Pretty routine.
Thyroid too high = High Thyroxine, Low TSH. Treatment is anti-thyroid medication, or radiotherapy, or surgery. A little more complicated, but still routine.

Not a condition for major concern, either way.

inditrees
1st Apr 2007, 20:27
obgraham,

many thanks for that, I was begining to panic a little there.
Are there many others out there who have a similar condition, and any who have had conditions placed upon them by the CAA?

gingernut
2nd Apr 2007, 14:14
Just to add to obsg's post, and without wishing to overcomplicate the picture, if your thyroxine level is normal, your slightly raised TSH could indicate "Subclinical (Mild) Hypothroidism."

If this is the case, your quack will most probably just monitor the situation, with repeated blood tests every 6-12 months or so.

This is quite a common condition, probably as common as going grey/bald in old age.

From an aviation point of view, I'm unable to comment. Wouldn't have thought it'd be an issue, but the usual warning- check with the authorities.:)

inditrees
2nd Apr 2007, 17:11
Gingernut,
Many thanks for that, have just been to see the doc today and he said the same thing, so its just just start taking the thyroxine and back to normal for me.
Amazing how one small little worry can start you thinking about loosing your license/job/morgage/house/and so on. Must learn to worry less.

And BREATHE again
Inditrees