PDA

View Full Version : AJV and AJX (ANA) May 21st Class

777birdcage
1st Apr 2007, 13:18
Hello all.. I have gotten a few PM's from guys starting class on May 21st.. (Congrats to all of us!) I thought it might be better to start a post and maybe we can get some more folks involved..

I have found that there are a few guys on here that are currently with the company, who have been GREAT about answering questions.. If others are anything like me, you have LOTS of questions..

Lets try to make this a bit more active thread as we will get to spend the next 6-8 months together!!!

BC

(Starting AJV on 5/21, 767 Captain):}

falcondriver2
1st Apr 2007, 21:26
Hello 777BC,

Looking forward to meeting you in Tokyo, I'll be there. (Air Japan 767 FO):)
Like yourself, I also have a few questions, especially with regards to travel/Commuting ZED fares etc.

Best Regards,
FD2

ishi59
2nd Apr 2007, 06:50
Guys, firstly congrats on getting into the system.

You'll have around 6 months of time together to get through the course. Don't be too concerned it is a very passable course, if you play by the rules.

All the other questions, commuting, accomodation etc can wait until later on. They will only be an issue after about8 months or so.

Enjoy the course, be patient and DON"T rock the boat.

good ruck

777birdcage
3rd Apr 2007, 23:49
Wow.. I haven't been called a "newbie" in some time, but it's all good.. :8

Thanks for the positive wishes.. Looking forward to getting started..

Cheers,

BC

The Dominican
4th Apr 2007, 04:42
Is all in good fun 777. Welcome to the club:) Very good gig thus far

777birdcage
5th Apr 2007, 15:54
Ohh I know it's good fun.. It sounds like everyone is happy there, and I am looking forward to getting started.. Had to say no to the March class as my current company requires 90 days notice.. (Work ethic is a b*tch:\) so will be there in May..

I was born and raised in Minnie.. My relatives are still there!
Are there many Yanks over there?

Look forward to meeting everyone!!

777BC

The Dominican
6th Apr 2007, 11:01
There are a few ex DAL and AA guys that took early ret. and ran with the money, there are two of us in the AJX class right now (ex regionals) along with a great group of guys from Oz and Denmark, some South Americans on the Q 400, a couple of Americans on the cargo side, one guy from Nepal another a Scott. Folks from all over, really good people.
It's a good gig man and it looks like growth is on the horizon:D

Just come with a good attitude, let them guide you and learn to slow down, there isn't any sence of urgency to get you on the line and they do things at their own pace. As long as you get with that program they will treat you very well. Besides, they are paying you your entire salary to study at their pace right? Well, do just that and have fun with it:ok:

Airmike767
7th Apr 2007, 23:17
Has anyone been hired approaching or over 60?
Airmike767

777birdcage
9th Apr 2007, 09:34
AirMike,

You may want to contact PARC or HACS to inquire about age.. I only have a very limited perspective having not started class yet, but I am in my early 30's and the other guys in my interview (sadly no one else was hired) were between 31 and 44..

I hope that helps.. I know many companies are taking guys approaching or over 60, just varies from place to place.. Get with one of those companies I mentioned, and they can answer questions about the ANA groups..

Cheers,

BC

The Dominican
9th Apr 2007, 09:57
I know that there are a couple of guys right at 55 on the 737 and one in our class for the 767 is also at 55. I think the age 65 extention is a relatively new thing in Japan and they are getting qualified younger pilots applying for the job so I don't know about hiring at 60. But I'm pretty sure that these folks that are hired at 55 could get another contract though, once you create a history with them and you have good work ethics the growth will be there for them to offer another contract.

galdian
9th Apr 2007, 11:08
Hey guys
Hope you are all enjoying your initial experiences in Japan - savour them.

A few days ago someone enquired about tax in Japan, I posted my limited knowledge but suggested you guys would have a better idea as being new to Japan you would have had a pretty good briefing about all the tax implications but so far no responses.

Sure any updated info would be appreciated by some, myself included.
Take it easy at TGIF, gets expensive if not careful!
Cheers

TAC inop.
9th Apr 2007, 20:03
Hi all
I'm in for the May 21 course too (767), and looking forward to meeting everyone.
Just a quick couple of questions....
Can I set up a bank account in Japan without being a resident?
Any other Ideas on how to stash my pay, and being able to access it in Japan and elsewhere?
It's especially important for tax reasons that I dont bank it in my home country.
Anyone have a clue here?
Thanks
TAC

777birdcage
11th Apr 2007, 07:18
TAC: Hey man.. Hope you are well.. About the bank account, I went through PARC and set up an account at Lloyds of London. We use them at my current company for pension stuff, and they are quite good. They office out of the Isle of Man, and are are quite sheltered from tax implications, quite like Cayman.

If you can't use them, I would recommend using HSBC Offshore Intl. I have also used them, and they are fine.. I believe they office in Jersey, so same tax situation (benefits).

Personally, I would not open an account in Japan, and I doubt they will even allow it..

Hope it helps..

BC

TAC inop.
13th Apr 2007, 01:28
Cool, I guess I'll work it out.

Looking forward to meeting y'all.

cheers