PDA

View Full Version : ICAO rules on compensation after delays of more than 2 hours?

Ex-RoNiN
1st Apr 2007, 12:09
I was recently on a flight and its departure was delayed by 3 hours. I know that according to IATA and IACO rules, I am entitled to compensation, however, the staff were rude and refused to give anything and referred me on to head office.

Does anybody know what the exact clauses that state this right for compensation in case of delays are?

BackPacker
1st Apr 2007, 15:22
What was the reason for the delay? And what sort of flight (local, intercontinental) & what duration did you have. Did they make up time during the flight?

Ex-RoNiN
2nd Apr 2007, 08:57
Apparently, the reason for the delay was fog at the airport, even though practically all other flights were departing/arriving normally.

Flight was international, in the EU (UK to Italy). Time was not possible to be made up, with a 3 hr 40 min delay on a 2:30 hr flight.

Final 3 Greens
2nd Apr 2007, 09:35
If you were flying to Milano (and in particular Linate), it seems to suffer more from fog than other destinations and I can believe that flights to other destinations were leaving on time.

Its always been that way since I first travelled there in 1978.

No excuse for rude ground staff however.

san diego
2nd Apr 2007, 11:09
Compensation may be payable under EU Regulations that became effective in February 2005, however there is a get out clause, that most airlines have been very effective at using, where the delay is outside the control of the airline. A certain well known lo-co flying from Stansted is not likely to pay out for fog which is certainly beyond their control.

Ex-RoNiN
2nd Apr 2007, 13:32
I won't accept the Fog get-out clause, as other flights were operating normally :=

oliversarmy
2nd Apr 2007, 14:11
Dont be fooled by other flights operating normally, the weather problems can be at the destination, could also be at another airport entirely but the aircraft planned to do your trip was delayed coming in - called LIAC - late inbound aircraft.

And if you get anything from an airline for a weather related delay i will personally double it, force majure.

oa

The SSK
2nd Apr 2007, 14:53
The EU Regulation of 2005 specifies compensation for passengers denied boarding due to overbooking, and due to flight cancellations due to reasons beyond the airline's control.

They do NOT specify compensation for delay. However, in the event of long delays the airlines MUST provide refreshments, extending to meals and overnight accommodation as appropriate.

There is a badly-phrased and misunderstood clause in the Regulation, that if a long delay means that the journey 'no longer serves any purpose' (for example you have missed your meeting/granny's funeral/Cup Final) you can ask for a full refund of the ticket. If you happen to be half-way to your destination at the time, the airline is also responsible for getting you home again.