PDA

View Full Version : BA, Virgin or Cathay??

The Swinging Monkey
1st Apr 2007, 09:10
Morning all,

I've got to go to Hong Kong in a couple of months and just wondered what your views are on which airline to use to get there, BA, Virgin or Cathay?

Would be grateful for advice on baggage, in-flt ents, food, service etc.

Many thanks
TSM

manintheback
1st Apr 2007, 10:06
Which class of travel?

Never used Cathay

Of the other two:Assuming costs the same
Premium Economy and Biz - Virgin easily. Better Seating, Better food, Better IFE, Better Lounges.

christep
2nd Apr 2007, 11:16
Never used Virgin (although by all accounts Upper Class is somewhat ahead of CX or BA, particularly given the Clubhouses).

Between BA and CX it depends on class and on whether they are flights where you plan to sleep or to stay awake, and how big you are.

In F I would say CX in any case. The service is more consistently good, AVOD on decent screens, caviar (if that's your thing).

In J it's a close call. Probably BA if you want to sleep (truly flat beds) and CX by a fraction for a day flight (less claustrophobic cabin, AVOD). But the BA bed is short - if you are more than 6' tall then you may find it cramped.

BA has WT+, CX doesn't.

In economy, I'd say not much to choose.

If you have OneWorld status then that might make a difference too. There's not much to choose between the BA and CX lounges at LHR, but CX's at HKG (F lounge in particular) are far superior. Of course if you are BA Gold you could use the CX F lounge even if flying BA... OneWorld status in Y would also get you through Zone R at LHR which could save you a bunch of time & stress. (If in J or F then not much to choose since both get ZoneR or FastTrack).

FairlieFlyer
2nd Apr 2007, 14:48
This will be a horses for courses question...

Assuming Biz

Cathay - Best staff in the business. However seats dont fully recline and are such an angle you do slip down over time while sleeping. IFE OK but has a fiddly handheld thing but is very good. LHR lounge OK but HK lounge veru good
I fly 150k miles a year with CX out of preference of the other 3 solely due to the quality of the staff.

BA - Lie flat and good amenities, To generalise staff not so helpful and you will feel as if you are putting them out of their way by being there on some flights. To be honest every time I fly them for whatever reason I wonder why I didnt take one of the other two

Virgin - Lie flat with a long bed. Good amenities/IFE and great lounge esp on return back to Heathrow with the after flight facilities. Staff can be a little 'too cool' for some but in general are very good. Food of choice sometimes runs out which can be a pain but not a major prob...

Evanelpus
3rd Apr 2007, 09:14
I believe Air New Zealand operate from LHR to Honkers, give them a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

doublekite
7th Apr 2007, 19:25
I would choose BA or CX if travelling economy as they use 747-400s as opposed to Virgins A340-600, which in my opinion are more cramped, being a large 6'2".

silverelise
10th Apr 2007, 17:33
I'm in new York this week and have been fortunate enough to be able to use Virgin for the first time instead of BA (company policy).
Having experienced Virgin Upper, I never want to go back to BA Business.
The only downside for me is the herringbone layout of the beds meaning if you want to look out of the window you have to look back over your shoulder. Apart from that, the overall service is superb..from being picked up at home in a limo, through being checked in whilst sat in the car, to the lounge at Heathrow and the service and facilities on board. The massage towards the end of the flight was awesome - I wonder how many times the lady gets asked for her number :ok:
Seriously - can't recommend Virgin Upper class enough.

christep
11th Apr 2007, 16:54
I would choose BA or CX if travelling economy as they use 747-400sOnly partly true for CX - 2 flights a day with the 747 and 2 with the Airbus. But the legroom is pretty much the same in both.

OzPax1
11th Apr 2007, 18:57
Evanelpus - I believe Air New Zealand operate from LHR to Honkers, give them a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Indeed they are very good and they have 34" im Pacific Class (economy) and the Business class seats are clones of the Virgin ones.

On of my relatives from NZ flew over recently with them via HK and had nothing but praise for them...but then again he would as a kiwi! ;)