PDA

View Full Version : Liquids on flights to Australia

hapzim
30th Mar 2007, 16:28
Just had an email from BAA. Will hit duty free sales etc on those operators heading down under. The madness continues.

As a valued WorldPoints member we thought it important to update you
on the latest change in industry regulations regarding the carriage
of liquids.

While cabin baggage restrictions introduced back in November of last
year remain a long term solution, Australian legislation changes have
affected many transfer passengers departing from the European Union.

From 31 March 2007, European Union airports will be unable to sell any
liquid purchases to passengers travelling to Australia. All liquids
will be screened at the last point of call and quantities over 100ml
will be confiscated.

Krakatoa
31st Mar 2007, 06:53
What is the problem ? Who would want to carry duty free bottles from Europe to Australia when you can purchase them after getting off the plane in Australia.

ScottyDoo
31st Mar 2007, 07:24
European Union airports will be unable to sell any liquid purchases to passengers travelling to Australia. All liquids will be screened at the last point of call and quantities over 100ml will be confiscated.

Are you sure about that? Airside alcohol is supposedly screened already and should be allowed. It's LAGs brought through by the passenger which are limited, I thought.

If true, the aussies seem to have over-reacted in comparison to the original legislations brought in by, for example, the UK.

Reckon the loss of the aussie D/F market will be barely felt in Europe.

As mentioned, buy it when you get to aussie.... :ok:

1DC
31st Mar 2007, 08:37
Check the Qantas website, gives a very good chapter and verse description of the rules with examples.Takes a few minutes to read..

skydriller
1st Apr 2007, 19:22
Quote:
European Union airports will be unable to sell any liquid purchases to passengers travelling to Australia. All liquids will be screened at the last point of call and quantities over 100ml will be confiscated.

Are you sure about that? Airside alcohol is supposedly screened already and should be allowed. It's LAGs brought through by the passenger which are limited, I thought. If true, the aussies seem to have over-reacted in comparison to the original legislations brought in by, for example, the UK.

Duty free only works if bought from the airport you are leaving from, not for connections in the UK airports doesnt it? However, other European airports do allow duty free on connectiing flights bought at point of origin duty free shops though. If coming from say, the USA or Dubai with duty free bought there, and transiting through London, definitely not allowed, right?

If my understanding is incorrect then I and alot of others need to be told, including several airlines I have flown with!!

How is the new Aussi rule different?

Regards, SD.

brenmcc1
2nd Apr 2007, 17:24
New rules coming in for South Africa now also. Liquids are ok for PAX landing in SA but if you are transferring there then the liquids are not allowed, as it is here in UK.