PDA

View Full Version : Blueyonder Broadband, Now Virgin Media

scruggs
29th Mar 2007, 14:28
Hi all,

Before Blueyonder became Virgin Media (VM), I was with them for around 4 years on the £35 a month package. They provided a great, consistent service, and we basically got what was on the tin.

Since VM took over, we have noticed a drastic reduction in performance. Download speeds and page loading speeds have reduced to annoyingly slow rates at random periods of the day. Even connection at certain times is impossible. This happens of pretty much a day-to-day basis. Like now for instance. It took nearly 40 seconds to load the PPRuNe page. Usually, it loads in a flash like most other pages.

I was wondering if anyone else out there, who was previously on Blueyonder, has noticed/reported any issues of this ilk.

I've repeatedly phoned their Customer Service department, and they keep saying there is no problem. Seen as all these problems appear to coincide with VM taking over, it has to be more than mere coincidence!

Any ideas on why this may be happening? Your thought and/or advice as always will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

S

ZH875
29th Mar 2007, 14:59
I'm with VM, previously NTL, and I haven't noticed any reduction in speed.

Maybe I am the lucky one:)

maxell
29th Mar 2007, 15:34
I'm also with VM previously NTL and have noticed no difference in speed. Check if you are connecting through a proxy server as VM are slowly turning off all the proxy servers

scruggs
29th Mar 2007, 19:08
Thanks for the tip.

How do I check that?

I'm not up on this computer lark, I just use em' :uhoh::\

Ant
29th Mar 2007, 19:31
Previously with Blueyonder, now with VM.
No change here (yet!).

quichemech
29th Mar 2007, 19:56
I have noticed a slow down, also my neighbour who's also a VM customer has noticed a major slow down, he's on the 8 meg service whilst I'm only on the 2.

Suppers Ready
30th Mar 2007, 08:18
I have also noticed a slow down - connection sometimes drops out completely. Most annoying
SR

Hoover Pilot
30th Mar 2007, 12:16
Was blueyonder now VM and no slow down for me yet.

Hacked off at loosing Sky1 though...

HP

Lost_luggage34
30th Mar 2007, 23:25
Yep - I've noticed a slowdown too. I was with BY.

Having looked into it a little, it seems that there have been routing changes within the BY & NTL networks as they attempt to merge them.

Ex BY customers now 'can' take a few extra hops through some NTL routers to actually get out on to the Internet.

I have also heard that the VM bandwidth to the US is less than the aggregate bandwidth available to NTL and BY customers. They may have reduced bandwidth to Europe too.

amanoffewwords
31st Mar 2007, 20:48
Can't see any difference here - ex-BY in London SW20 area.

What is annoying is that I have sent them 4 messages using their online "contact us" form and never get a reply except for the auto-we-love-you-hang-on message. When it was BY I always had a response within 48hrs. Add to that the loss of Lost :*

Coconutty
2nd Apr 2007, 14:11
Was with NTL for Cable TV, Broadband and Phone.

Now with SKY for SKY HD - they gave me £100 off the purchase price of the box as a "convert" - but had to push them to get this.

Stayed with NTL / Virgin on their "Up to 2 Mb" service and Phone package.

No noticable change since Virgin took over, but I DID have a broadband speed problem a few months back which was eventually diagnosed as a duff modem - I had the "NTL 100" model, which has now been replaced with an "NTL 250".

During the diagnosis of my problem, NTL recommended that I download "Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test" to check what connection speed I was actually achieving.

This can be downloaded FREE here : http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/ - It will run a number of tests and provide results. More advanced tests and their results require a subscription.

Once I had my results I reminded NTL that I could get SKY Television's "Up to 2Mb" Broadband Service for FREE, and they soon sorted the problem :D

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg