PDA

View Full Version : Outlook access

beerdrinker
26th Mar 2007, 06:27
Sorry if this has been done before.

I have 3 ISP email addresses. However If I am on one of them (Eg cytanet.com.cy) for access to the internet, I cannot send an email from one of the other addresses (orange.fr or talktalk.net) How do I get round this problem?

Beedrinker

All Ahead Full
26th Mar 2007, 12:13
You need to change your outbound email server (SMTP Server) to be that of your ISV (Internet service provider) - it's done to prevent people spamming.

Therefore if you use xyz, as the email provide that works, change the outgoing mailserver for the other two accounts to match this.

beerdrinker
26th Mar 2007, 12:45
Thanks
So can I have the inbound (pop3) as a different ISP to the outbound (SMTP).

Also how do I set it up so that I can send emails from my laptop when I am travelling and have logged onto an anonymous ISP via WiFi.

Thanks,
Beerdrinker

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Mar 2007, 18:56
So can I have the inbound (pop3) as a different ISP to the outbound (SMTP).
Yes. This is perfectly normal. Lots of people do it all day every day. The POP3 connection is the email you want to pick up, the SMTP connection is whatever you can get, which is typically the server owned by the ISP providing your current connection.

Also how do I set it up so that I can send emails from my laptop when I am travelling and have logged onto an anonymous ISP via WiFi.

Choices include:

(1) Find out the anonymous ISP's SMTP server and use that.

(2) Arrange with the ISP providing your email account that you can use their SMTP server even when you're not connecting via them; this will typically involve some sort of authentication, to avoid spamming.

(3) Use the web mail interface to your email account.

Keef
26th Mar 2007, 23:01
(2) Arrange with the ISP providing your email account that you can use their SMTP server even when you're not connecting via them; this will typically involve some sort of authentication, to avoid spamming.

There's a 2B: lash out $15 on a Maglobe account. That's $15 of credit for using their dial-up access when out and about, but it also includes an authenticating SMTP server. Regardless of how you connected to the internet, you send your mail via the Maglobe SMTP facility. I've been doing it for years.

Maglobe is also just about the cheapest option when in those US hotels that don't offer free WiFi and charge for calls to an ISP. There's a 1-800 contact number - you pay, but it's something like $4 an hour in the USA.

beerdrinker
28th Mar 2007, 06:20
Thanks all.

Gertrude, I am trying to make contact with Talktalk to ask them if I can do your 2. Failing that I will try the other two (although I do not trust my French for one of them!