PDA

View Full Version : usb network cables

BOAC
25th Mar 2007, 20:24
Windows XP/2000

Looking at connecting Laptop and Desktop at home with a USB network cable, but does anyone know if routing the cable into a USB hub and out to the other machine with 'standard' USB cables will avoid the potential damage of direct connection?

Dysonsphere
25th Mar 2007, 22:19
Funnilly enough i saw the cable to do this in PC World the other day it has some kind of box in the middle so i wouldnt try it with a straight link

Keef
26th Mar 2007, 00:39
It won't work with direct USB connection (and is a very bad idea).

The little devices with a plug on each end don't work with XP (or didn't, last time I tried) unless you have a very expensive piece of software (well, it was very expensive last time I looked).

Buy yourself a pair of LAN cards and a Cat 5 crossover cable. Far cheaper!

Mac the Knife
26th Mar 2007, 06:10
USB network is indeed possible but its a bizarre kludge.

"Buy yourself a pair of LAN cards and a Cat 5 crossover cable."

Good advice there.

:ok:

BOAC
26th Mar 2007, 07:32
I guessed so - the problem I am having is that my wifi link keeps dropping in the middle of large transfers, so I thought I would 'hard-wire'. I have seen a USB network cable at a reasonable price so I think that is the cheapest option without adding cards.

Incidentally, I saw a 'new' Belkin USB Laplink cable on the shelf (Staples) in Newfie last week - new to the store and about C$59, so pricey, but with Laplink software in the 'mid' module, so self-contained.

Thanks guys.

I have also seen a USB 'A' to RJ45 dongle at a very reasonable price - anyone used such?

Bushfiva
26th Mar 2007, 08:06
Yes, the converters work as advertised. But your wifi shouldn't be flaky in the first place.

BOAC
26th Mar 2007, 08:48
Thanks Bush5 - I know! I cannot work out the problem at the moment, but if I 'surf' during a large file transfer it sometimes drops the connection, showing first 'low' strength (3 feet apart at the moment, on a 3Com router to PCI card!).

born2fly_au
27th Mar 2007, 18:52
Try changing the channel on your Wifi. I had similar problem and it seems to have fixed it. Also if you have a cordless home phone it can also interfere with your wireless network as they both run on the same 2.4 MHz frequency.
Allen

Memetic
27th Mar 2007, 21:36
Hi BOAC,

Have you got the latest firmware in your wireless router (assuming you are going via one) or tha latyest firmaware / drivers for both the Wifi cards?

Are the cards both the same brand? If not they my be using incompatible propriatary tweaks to try and get more speed - fine with like cards, not great with different ones.

Might be worth switching the microwave off too - another 2.4Ghz noise maker - well if it's not totally leak proof.

Memetic

Bushfiva
28th Mar 2007, 03:35
I'm with born2fly: whatever channel you're on now, go try the other end.

If 1, go to 11/13/14 (as your local regs allow).

If at 11/13/14, go to 1.

If at 6, go to 1 or 11/13/14.

Basically, you want to be 1, 6 or 11-14 and see if that helps.

BOAC
28th Mar 2007, 19:20
Lounging in Gambia at the moment so will check all that out on return - thanks all.

BOAC
30th Mar 2007, 17:23
Tried a few channels and no improvements - microwave 20mtrs away.
3com router and Asus CI wifi in desktop. ?Intel 'Pro'? gear in HP Laptop. 'Strength' fluctuates constantly from low to excellent and still 3 feet away. I'll remove the cordless phone later. I have just ordered a USB network cable on Ebay as well.

Keef
30th Mar 2007, 22:02
Not sure I've quite grasped where the connections are.

A Wireless Access Point (WAP), yes? Inside, or connected to a router somewhere nearby?

A wireless card in the laptop, yes? (PCMCIA or USB?)

If the WiFi signal is fluctuating on that setup, I would suspect a flaw in the WAP or the wireless card or in the positioning of one of them. Does the signal disappear or improve if you move a few inches closer or further away? (It could it be that you just happen to have put your laptop's WiFi access device in a signal null from the WAP. That does happen - move it a few inches and the signal returns.)

If you take the laptop further away from the WAP, does the signal disappear completely?

Do you have a spare wireless card (even an older 802.11 format one) to check with?

Have you any other device with a WiFi capability (eg a PDA) that can check the Wireless signal? That will tell you whether the problem is your WAP or the wireless card in the laptop.

Can your wireless card detect any other Wireless signals? Mine picks up about four from the houses around us.

You shouldn't need to mess with USB connections like that - wireless access is pretty solid and reliable. Or should be, anyway.

Lost_luggage34
30th Mar 2007, 22:58
Have you checked your packet sizes on each machine ?

I'm thinking along the lines that during a large file transfer, one of the wi-fi cards is possibly getting too busy emptying its buffers/refragmenting that it hasn't time to keep the connection alive.

Just a thought.

There's a utility out there - TCP Optimiser (I think) which will help tune things.

Keef
30th Mar 2007, 23:39
Unlikely to cause the wireless signal to fluctuate in strength, though.

BOAC
31st Mar 2007, 08:43
3Com wirelesss router on desk, about 3 ft from desktop (eventually plan to move it into attic). Laptop (in this case) across the room about 6 ft away. I can, however, take the laptop into another room some 30 ft away with several walls and still get connected.:confused:

Keef
31st Mar 2007, 10:47
Is the desktop hard-wired or using WiFi to connect to the router?
Is the fluctuating signal problem on the laptop, or the desktop?
If it's only the desktop, while the laptop's OK, then the problem is the WiFi card in the desktop.

If the desktop is hard-wired, and the laptop will connect OK from 30 feet away, does it still fluctuate in the same way? If so, problem is either the laptop's WiFi, or the WAP - can't tell which without another WiFi device to check with.

A friend of mine came round here with her laptop the other day - she was getting spotty connection if any at all when at home. Same problem here. I plugged in my PCMCIA wireless card, and got immediate solid connection. Off she went to ebay to buy a PCMCIA card (under £20 for the new 802.11g one).

BOAC
31st Mar 2007, 12:00
DT wifi'd at the moment but I have now bought the USB 'A' to RJ45 dongle and am about to try linking the DT with that.

'Fluctuations' are definite on the DT but I have not looked to see if the Laptop has the same problem.

I 'got' a 54Mbps 11g PC card with the router bundle and I will try that in the LT.

Hey Ho!

Update: The PCMCIA card made little difference to the LT performance BUT the RJ45 to USB adaptor has dramatically improved the DT's internet speed.:ok: Only cost a few squids too :) . It really flies. It has solved the problem of dropping the wifi network too. I recommend this solution for those who do not want to fit an Ethernet card.

Keef
1st Apr 2007, 22:59
Good news! Glad you found a fix.

Still worth checking if the lappy's signal on WiFi is stable. If so, that may indicate the WiFi device you had on the desktop is duff.

BOAC
3rd Apr 2007, 18:41
Thanks, Keef - a tad busy with this flying thing right now but will have a look (but it HUMS along so nicely now...............:) )

BOAC
7th Apr 2007, 07:53
A brief respite at home,(not looked at the wifi yet, Keef) but delighted to report that my second Ebay purchase, a USB Datalink cable, is the dog's do-das, installed perfectly on both machines and transfers stuff at a delightful speed.:)