PDA

View Full Version : Keeping My Ppl Current

captain_rossco
25th Mar 2007, 19:34
What Are The Requirements Again Please Folks, I Left My Lasors In Bristol, Not Flown Since Feb So Wondering If I Need To Do Owt!

Kind Regards

Rossco

gcolyer
25th Mar 2007, 19:52
Valid for 5 years
At least 1 hour every 24 months must be with an instructor
Must fly a minimum of 12 hours every 12 months
You cannot take passengers if you have not completed 3 landings and take offs within 90 days.

However most club have currency rules that dictate you must not let x amount of days elapse unless you want to do a club check ride agaim.

D'vay
25th Mar 2007, 20:01
only to add that these three take offs and landing may be touch and go's if performed during the day. Also to give a thorough thorough thorough reminder of the prudence of taking an instructor with you if it is your own aircraft and you haven't flown for so long.
Have fun

BEagle
25th Mar 2007, 20:08
Both those last posts contain factual inaccuracies.

Suggest you download http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf

It's hardly difficult - it's only about 7 years now since these requirments were announced.

JP1
25th Mar 2007, 21:47
One inaccuracy is

"...within the 12 months preceding the expiry of the rating complete at least 12 hours of flight..."

So as I understand it.

First year after renewal no flying, Second year do 12 hours and the time requirement has been met. So theroretically you can have a 12 month break without flying in the first year of renewal only.

Please correct me if I wrong.

JP1
25th Mar 2007, 22:10
In fact considering the requirement again, in theory you could meet all the requirements of time, landings etc in a few days before expiry of the licence. And in doing so re-validate the licence via "flying experience" but have almost a 2 year period between flights.

Not really pratical but theoretically possible.

Whopity
25th Mar 2007, 22:55
Or don't fly at all and do a Proficiency Check with an Examiner on the last day of validity every 2 years.

FREDAcheck
25th Mar 2007, 23:31
BEagle, from the posts of yours I've read, I don't doubt your knowledge or expertise, but throw the guy a bone! LASORS is 660 pages of tedious bureaucratic gobbledygook. You say it's not difficult finding stuff there, but I'm probably not as smart as you, and for me it's quite tough.

The work "currency" appears in 30 places, none of which answers captain_rossco's question. The three take-offs and three landings rule for passengers is in Section A Appendix F Schedule 8 of the ANO Part A sub-section 1 item 2g (an obvious place to look). I found that only because I knew it was three, so searched for "three". And "three" occurs about 70 times in the document.

The 12 hours in the preceding 12 months rule is in Section A Appendix F Schedule 8 of the ANO Part A Section 2 2 iv bb. (I knew is was 12, so searched for 12 - "12" occurs about 500 times).

No criticism meant - just a plea to share your greater knowledge.

J.A.F.O.
26th Mar 2007, 01:12
FREDA

I know what you're saying - hell, I'd have looked in Section A Appendix F Schedule 8 of the ANO Part A sub-section 1 item 2f for the three landings rule, and how silly would I have looked? - but is it really too much to expect a licensed pilot to know whether he's current or not?

It's nice to check rather than to assume in most cases but if you have a PPL and haven't flown for just over a month and don't know whether you're current or not then it's a sorry state of affairs.

FREDAcheck
26th Mar 2007, 07:26
Good point JAFO, we all ought to know this sort of stuff (and I think I do, approximately). However the official sources of such information are impenetrable and poorly organised, and where we can help our fellow pilots to the correct information then I think we should. Even if they ought to know it anyway.

BEagle
26th Mar 2007, 07:26
"LASORS is 660 pages of tedious bureaucratic gobbledygook."

No it isn't, it is a very useful document available free of charge as a .pdf - and produced after a lot of hard work and effort by the CAA.

Recency rules and maintenance of your licence and rating were all part of your Air Law & Op Procedures exam. If you had studied the syllabus and made relevant notes, you would know the recency and validity requirements! Regrettably, many pilots haven't a clue about the difference between rating validity, recency and licence re-issue, for example; for that they have no-one to blame but themselves.

FREDAcheck
26th Mar 2007, 07:29
BEagle wrote:
"LASORS is 660 pages of tedious bureaucratic gobbledygook."
No it isn't
Well, we'll just have to disagree on that one!

J.A.F.O.
26th Mar 2007, 12:53
If it isn't considered advertising (and I have no connection with the company) may I suggest Irv Lee's pre-pre-flight checklist; okay it ain't the law but it gives those who are lost some guidance.

Google for it (as well as his Rust Remover) you'll not regret it.

gcolyer
26th Mar 2007, 13:07
and produced after a lot of hard work and effort by the CAA.

Still doen't justify the CAA costs and fees!

FREDAcheck
26th Mar 2007, 13:29
To expand my earlier rather flippant remark, yes I do find LASORS rather turgid and hard to read, but I know BEagle is right and that it is the result of a lot of hard work. It's definitely worthwhile having the information in one place. As it says near the front:
The aim is to give pilots a one-stop reference for all aspects of safe aeroplane operation.
However, it is inevitably a rather legalistic text. For the relatively small flying community, it probably isn't worth the effort of a complete rewrite into an easy-to-read "Highway Code", although the foreword says:
If it can be enhanced to make the whole book more valuable to the pilot it will be.

I agree with BEagle that we all had to learn this stuff when to got our licences, and ought to stay current with the information. But many of us may not be as familiar with the contents of LASORS as we should be. PPRUNE seems to me a great place to ask for advice, and for more knowledgeable people to give pointers to where to find information in LASORS when appropriate.

captain_rossco
27th Mar 2007, 12:32
Lasors in hand, I now have my answers, thankyou.
Ever grateful for the help I feel I must stress that from time to time, pilots may not have information to hand, nor consider it necessary to remember. My forgetting facts from far more important areas of the sylabai ie LAW, NAV and actually FLYING etc, would be far more worrying, and is not something i would readily allow to happen.
The occasional memory lapse regarding x hours required per y to ensure z doesnt happen needn't be met with the hostility that too bloody often rears its head on pprune.

Lazyness aside I was asking for a quick fact that was quite obviously available 'off the top' of many private pilots heads, so thankyou to those that elaborated!

And to those that are thinking of requesting guidance, however momentary, do not do so until you have read and memorised LASORS. You may not ask any questions to which the answers can be found within it. So that means, well, no questions at all then.

Regards.

Rod1
27th Mar 2007, 14:22
“I agree with BEagle that we all had to learn this stuff when to got our licences,”

A lot of us passed the PPL exam long before JAA came in so our air law is of no help. Based on my air law exam I have to do 5 hours a year and no biannual flight with an instructor. I do try to keep up to date, and I do know the currency rules, but it is increasingly difficult as things seem to change at an ever increasing rate. One of the ways to stay up to date is ask BEagle on this forum…..

Rod1