PDA

View Full Version : C of A confusion !

FullyFlapped
24th Mar 2007, 16:27
OK guys, I'm very confused.

My aircraft is due for a new CofA. Up to now it has been maintained on a public category CofA, to allow me to rent it out should I wish.

Can anyone point me to a document - which explains in language a simple bloke like me can understand - what the new arrangements are ? I'm being told that I have to get a one-year CofA, then a new EASA thing, and that the old public/private categories have gone but are/will be related to engine age and various other criteria ?

I know I'm only the poor s*d paying for all of this and as such probably the last to be informed, but can anyone point me to something I can read which explains all ?

Many thanks,

FF :ok:

Whopity
25th Mar 2007, 10:43
The C of A changed to EASA from Sept 2004. As of Sept 2007 all EASA C of A will be valid for the lifetime of the aircraft and is required to be carried in the aircraft on every flight, like the FAA system. In the interim period C of A have been issued for lesser periods for admin reasons. Your existing C of A was deemed to be EASA equivalent after Sept 2004.

What you can use the aircraft for will depend upon how it is maintained. Renting the aircraft is " Public Transport" for airworthiness purposes so you will need to maintain it to public transport standards if you wish to continue.

You will need to talk to your engineers about the maintenance arrangements, EASA assume that you have a dedicated organisation who look after this process. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP747.PDF

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Mar 2007, 12:17
required to be carried in the aircraft on every flight
Please can someone explain to me why documents like this are even allowed to be carried on the aircraft??

Surely the important place for them to be is on the ground so that they are available for inspection after the aircraft has crashed and burned??

Mike Cross
25th Mar 2007, 21:35
You mean they don't keep keep a record when they issue one? Wow!

Whopity
25th Mar 2007, 22:53
Why does a lift carry a certificate of compliance? To tell the occupants that it meets a certified standard. Same thing with an aeroplane!

FullyFlapped
27th Mar 2007, 08:30
The C of A changed to EASA from Sept 2004. As of Sept 2007 all EASA C of A will be valid for the lifetime of the aircraft and is required to be carried in the aircraft on every flight, like the FAA system. In the interim period C of A have been issued for lesser periods for admin reasons. Your existing C of A was deemed to be EASA equivalent after Sept 2004.

Whopity,

Sorry if I have my "thick" head on this morning, but are you saying that once I have acquired a shiny new EASA CofA (which I guess will be next year at this time) I won't ever have to go through the process of getting another one (for this aircraft) - ever ? No more stupid £600+ cheques to the CAA every three years ?

Sounds too good to be true !

FF :ok:

robin
27th Mar 2007, 08:46
>>>Sorry if I have my "thick" head on this morning, but are you saying that once I have acquired a shiny new EASA CofA (which I guess will be next year at this time) I won't ever have to go through the process of getting another one (for this aircraft) - ever ? No more stupid £600+ cheques to the CAA every three years ?

Sounds too good to be true !<<

It is too good to be true.

You will still need to have a certificate showing that on-going maintenance has been done (ARC), and the issue of that will still cost

You will need to ensure that the maintenance is done by an approved organisation, either in a 'Controlled' environment (ie by a contract with a CAMO) or in an 'Uncontrolled' environment, where you can chose to go to any suitable organisation.

Surprisingly, the Controlled Environment is likely to be 'cheaper'. The way it is likely to work is that in a Controlled Environment it will be the same as the current Annual-Annual-Star Annual arrangement.

In the Uncontrolled Environment each Annual will effectively be a Star Annual.

So don't expect much saving, at least until Part M Lite eventually appears......

foxmoth
27th Mar 2007, 11:09
My understanding is if you maintain it as before you are able to rent it out just the same as if it was still on a PT C of A and the engine et al are all within hours & date.The main change comes if you were not on PT it is actually easier now to get it to that standard and rent out:ok:

Bob the Hamster
27th Mar 2007, 21:14
If you have been on PT C of A then when the EASA is issued and you maintain the aircraft through an approved organisation is it the equivalent of moving to what used to be Public C of A then?

Bob

FullyFlapped
28th Mar 2007, 08:06
If you have been on PT C of A then when the EASA is issued and you maintain the aircraft through an approved organisation is it the equivalent of moving to what used to be Public C of A then?
Ummm ... are we in danger of death by acronym here ? I understand "PT CofA" to mean Public Transport category ... have I got this wrong ?

FF :confused: