PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Airport - Then & Now

wezmondo
24th Mar 2007, 15:08
Hi there folks, i'm hoping to get a new thread going on this history of the airport and how things were/looked inside the original terminal (T1) between it's opening in 1962 to the present day. Any info would be great.
To start with, does anyone remember the inclined travalator system that used to run from the arrivals level up to the check-in hall and possibly to the various multi storey car park levels? I think they may have been ripped out in the mid to late 80's and replaced with lifts.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th Mar 2007, 21:50
No, but I do remember a Saturday afternoon visit of our Scout troop to the Tower VCR circa 1968. Sat at the PAR screen and watched the only arrival coming in in the hour or so we were there - A BEA Vanguard from Paris.
Hard to believe now.

MAN777
25th Mar 2007, 22:42
Yes you are correct, the multi storey car park was built with huge escalators that ran up from level 5 to 7 and 9 , I think there was also one descending. Was a great people mover but it took up too much space. It was a major attraction to the local scum bags who took great delight in launching baggage trolleys down them !
If you are really interested in times past, then the airport has a superb archive which can be accessed for research.
My first memory of visiting the airport, was cycling 4 miles from Cheadle and getting blown over by a self parking BOAC 707 on stand 2 (the fence was right next to it.
I also remember sitting down to dinner and looking towards Stockport which had a plume of black smoke rising from it, the British Midland Argonaut had just crashed.

wezmondo
26th Mar 2007, 14:53
Thanks for the replies people! I think this will be an interesting thread. One flight an hour eh? happy days.. no standing around waiting to go through security back than i would imagine

wezmondo
26th Mar 2007, 15:37
Does anyone know how and where passengers were security screened before the domestic terminal opened in 1989, when it was just 'Pier A?

chiglet
26th Mar 2007, 15:37
Went on one Easter weekend [Sunday?] in 1951..and saw one movement all day [a BEA Viking]. I was also there [working in the Tower] when Manchester hosted the European Cup Final :ok:
watp,iktch

MAN777
26th Mar 2007, 15:57
Depends how far back you go re pier A and screening, I remember walking down the pier in the mid seventies right to the gates, without any security check points, all that was needed to go to the aircraft was a boarding card. It was often used in winter by spotters, in summer they would be on the top of all piers, again no screening required. Ahh The good old days.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Mar 2007, 16:22
I can remember as a yoof going to the airport for a post-booze coffee circa 1971 and wandering not only down the piers, but through the un-manned gates and out onto the apron under the parked aircraft!

Also, after the new terminal opened in the early 60s, there was just a small surface car park behind it - no multi-stories back then.

I can just about remember the old terminal, but usually we cycled up the wilmslow road to near where the barriers used to be that they closed for a 06 landing. I can clearly remember the piston-engined airliners taxying past on the other side of the fence after landing on 24.

Later, when I flew a based aircraft from the South Side, the only security was a guy in a hut at the Styal road south-side entrance - then you were on the airfield with acces to the hangars, aircraft, and runway. Doesn't seem that long ago, either.

SSD

IB4138
26th Mar 2007, 16:36
Get hold of a copy of "Manchester Airport" by R.A. Scholefield, published by Sutton's Photographic History of Aviation. ISBN 0-7509-1954-X.
It was first published in 1998.

MAN777
26th Mar 2007, 17:04
First time I worked at MAN was the summer of 1979 just out of school, as a temp baggage handler, parking was anywhere you fancied, I used to park my dads capri under the new pier C, when anything interesting came in it was quite normal to bring family in for a look round, god how it has changed.

Jobs were still heavily unionised and the baggage handlers had strict quotas of aircraft that they were assigned to for the shift, any extra had to be negotiated for extra payment ! As a spotty teenager I was earning a packet.

I returned 6 years later having spent 6 years in the RAF, in order to kill some time prior to starting another career, unions still had some power but the workload had more than doubled. It was quite amusing because I was now a smart clean cut product of the services and looked on with suspicion by the workers, many thought i was a Police or Customs plant, trying to catch the thieving element.

Captain Airclues
26th Mar 2007, 18:50
In the early 60's I used to cycle to Ringway and stand on the footpath that ran from the Airport Hotel and crossed within a few yards of the 24 threshold. Unfortunately the footpath was closed when the runway was extended. I have some old B&W photos of the terminal and control tower under construction.
In those days security hadn't been invented and it was possible to wander around the airport at will. It was only when the roof gardens and piers were opened that they restricted access to the aprons, not for security reasons, but to ensure that you paid the sixpence to go through the turnstiles.

Airclues

Midland 331
26th Mar 2007, 20:16
>Jobs were still heavily unionised and the baggage handlers had strict quotas of aircraft that they were assigned to for the shift, any extra had to be negotiated for extra payment ! As a spotty teenager I was earning a packet.

Ditto at Castle Don., but the issue of our potential employment as "temporary casuals" (and their loss of overtime) kicked off some massive row between the baggage handlers and airport management (circa 1980). In the end, we were taken on, but not allowed to work loading the aircraft, just sorting the bags onto trolleys as they came off the belt.

What nonsense! They were over-unionised prima-donnas, and quite unpleasant to work with.

To correct the thread drift:- when I joined SAS at Manchester circa 1985, there was still the huge glass chandelier/sculpture in the landside departures area. "How did they get the glass that colour?" I wondered, looking up at the unique yellowey-brown hue. When they reinstalled it following buidling work and relocation (about the same time that those moving walkways disappeared), I found my answer:- they had it cleaned of around twenty years of nicotine and muck, and back to clear glass.

r

wz662
26th Mar 2007, 20:44
Mention of the turnstiles on the piers made me rummage through my archive for the very tatty copy of a verse from a 60s spotter.
My brother was at Mosley Hall Grammer school in Cheadle and apart from being one of the original members of the Northern Aeroplane Preservation Society he was an active spotter (I never sucumbed to strain of the disease that is aviation). Mosely Hall even had a spotters club - I still have my brother's membership badge somewhere.
Anyway I thought you may like the little verse.

THE SPOTTER’S LAMENT

(To the tune ‘My Bonny lies over the ocean’)

My brother he flies an Electra
My uncle runs BOAC
My father’s the Airport Director
So I get on the terraces free

Chorus

Give back; give back Oh give back my shilling to me!

The author is recorded as B.E. and the verse was dated 7/10/64

My first flight was from Ringway to the Isle of Man in a BEA Viscount and although the new terminal was built we departed from the metal hangar alongside which in later days was used for cargo. The apron between was used by the Auster G-AGXN for pleasure trips - its nice to see that she is still in good shape at Popham.

Lots of fond memories spolit by not recognising the place these days - boy the place has grown.

ZeBedie
26th Mar 2007, 21:01
What happened to the chandeliers? They were the only thing that was in anyway pleasant about what has, sadly, become a really awful airport.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Mar 2007, 21:26
The apron between was used by the Auster G-AGXN for pleasure trips - its nice to see that she is still in good shape at Popham.

My first ever flight was from Ringway. I think it must have been about 1958 or near then, in an Auster (I can remember the airbourne bit, but nothing of the ground experience - exactly where on the airfield we flew from, etc.). Would it have been XN, or were other Austers active in pleasure flying from there at that time?

Captain Airclues
26th Mar 2007, 22:04
wz662

I founded, and ran, the MHGS Spotters Club. It only lasted for a year so I must have given your brother his badge.

Airclues

wezmondo
27th Mar 2007, 07:17
I agree with Zebedee, the chandeiliers gave the place a wonderful sense of class, it now has a cheap, shopping centre feel to it. Where did the magic go?

IB4138
27th Mar 2007, 07:35
Don't forget the concrete fins that accompanied the chandeliers each bearing the name of one of the operating airlines of the time.

Take a look here;

http://www.cube.org.uk/thecity/archisnap_detail.asp?id=71

Midland 331
27th Mar 2007, 08:12
I have a theory that, at some point, airport authorities start believing their own hype and taking themselves too seriously.

Don't ask me to explain in too much detail - it seems to be down to triumphalist publicity, ridiculous landing fees and general charges, and an over-abundance of swanky shops instead of simple and, much-desired user-friendliness.

Manchester appeared to enter this phase some time in the mid 'eighties.

r

Akrotiri bad boy
27th Mar 2007, 09:13
Does anyone remember PB Enterprises (Aero)? He used to set up shop in the covered spectator area that overlooked the apron between the piers. I've just rummaged through my dangerously overladen attic and found some photo's of Ringway which I remember purchasing from him; all circa mid '70's.

If I was clever enough I'd pop 'em on here.:confused:

IB4138
27th Mar 2007, 10:06
Speaking of days on the terrace.........

I have before me two copies of "Manchester International Airport Schedule of Services", one for May 1979 and the other for June 1979. They cost 10p each.

They have a notice on the front cover which reads:

BIRDS ARE A HAZARD TO AIRCRAFT.
FEEDING OF BIRDS FROM THE PUBLIC TERRACES IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN.

BY ORDER

AIRPORT DIRECTOR

wezmondo
27th Mar 2007, 10:17
how many access points to the spectator terraces were there? form old photos that i've seen, there was a kind of spiral typre staircase which went up and over tower rd (the old apron acces) onto the roof just under where the admin block is at the back of the tower. Also, i think there was a starcase at the back of the old pier A. Was there somewhere from within the concourse that you could get to the terrace from. Also, what and where was the 'TV room?

Akrotiri bad boy
27th Mar 2007, 14:39
You're right Wez, there was an access point from the concourse on to the terrace. The door was just aft of the "Brabazon Suite", which was situated on the right hand side as you stood under the chandeliers looking toward the apron. The door was between the suite and the newsagents and gave access on to the terrace in the enclosed section, (where PB Enterprises hovered), a few steps up from the little shop.

IB4138
27th Mar 2007, 18:00
Interesting on studying the 1979 timetables, that most of the airlines operating then, have passed into history.

B.Cal, Dan Air, Laker, Sabena, Swissair, Clyden, Aviaco, British Airtours, British Island Airways, Ontario Worldair, Avio Genex, Canadian Pacific (CP Air), TAE, Wardair, Trans Europa, TIA, Spantax.

Some items of interest are that Dan Air operated 727s on ITs to and from Gibraltar, given the discusions about aircraft possibly operating into Gib in the future and available runway length, on that thread.
A BIA Heralds used to arrive from BLK, Monday to Friday, then operate out to Rotterdam and back, twice a day.
Dan Air 748s doing Newcastle, Bournmouth, Cardiff and Birmingham schedules.

MAN777
27th Mar 2007, 19:24
The internal entrance to the terraces is still there, its a pair of double doors behind the sunglasses shop, it leads up to the covered observation area which is now enclosed and is home to the "The Airport Tour Centre" a business owned and operated by "The Aviation Society". This society can trace its ancestry back to the remnant membership of PB Enterprises, which was disbanded. TAS as its known locally also owns and runs the 2 aviation stores at the airport and has a membership of about 1500. Its is always on the lookout for new members, if you are interested see
www.tasmanchester.com
The society and its business interests are directly responsible for introducing thousands of people of all ages to the world of aviation.
Back to the thread: The other entrance was a set of turnstiles near to the current Mytravel entrance at Tower road. A path lead to stairs at the end of pier A. There was another set of stairs near the entrance that lead up to a paved walkway which passed under the northern face of the Tower to the other side of the terminal and pier B (and later pier C) pier A and pier B were directly connected by a wide paved area which had the earlier mentioned viewing area on the apron side. Most of this terminal roof viewing area is still intact but no longer open to the public, except for the small section outside the Airport tour centre.

wezmondo
28th Mar 2007, 08:35
fascinating info this people, thanks V much. I'm sorry if someone's already mentioned this but, what was P.B enterprises again?

Midland 331
28th Mar 2007, 08:52
My former boss, who moved to Manchester as Station Manager before SAS started flying CPH, recounted a tale of a "forgotten bag" (or maybe sandwiches) being thrown down to a boarding DUB passenger from a relative on one of the "pier balconies".

Times have changed.

Apparently, the first landing SAS Caravelle deployed a parachute. What an arrival...

r

wezmondo
28th Mar 2007, 13:25
Regarding the Tour Centre. Is is possible just to pop in to visit TAS in the old covered observation enclosure, up the afore-mentioned staircase? or do you need to make a special arrangement?

MAN777
28th Mar 2007, 17:51
The Airport Tour centre is really a presentation / classroom and also the admin offices for TAS. to visit I think you would have to be on an organised tour. Theres not a great deal to see just loads of photos and a few bits of memorabilia. The great view it once had has been blocked by the terminal extension. The actual tours, tour the terminal and the tour centre is used for showing films etc.

PB Enterprises(aero) was formed by Peter Hardy and friends, it used to meet in the rear room of the "Airport Hotel" pub (at the end of runway 24right.

They used to run regular aviation coach trips all over the UK, I am not sure why it disbanded.

STATSMAN
28th Mar 2007, 18:54
It was good to see a picture of the old concourse at T1, I worked for the then Midland Bank our main office was on the concourse about where Cotton Traders shop now is. Great times from 1973 till it closed in Oct 1985. Who remembers Archie's (special branch) discos?

Statsman

Brewster Buffalo
29th Mar 2007, 21:45
Manchester Memories...

The revolving light on top of the hanger near the aviation viewing park which reflected off the low clouds at night

The dark blue fuselages and gold lettering of BOAC VC10s - very posh - and the more workmanlike BEA with their Vanguards

Court Line with their dayglo coloured aircraft - each one a different colour

Soviet Tu-134s sounding like a jet fighter on take off..

Taking my airband radio - you just tuned up and down the band until you found someone transmitting - to be checked by the airport technicians.

The long piers which were great for viewing..

the parafin smell of the fuel...

MAN777
29th Mar 2007, 22:06
The revolving light mentioned in the previous post still exists, I think it is one of the exhibits in the tour centre.
Airport still smells of paraffin !

Krystal n chips
30th Mar 2007, 00:52
Distant--and happy memories. The field at the side of the Airport Hotel was almost my second home at times. When the "new" Terminal opened however, we all seemed to move en masse to the viewing areas. As for gaining access, well you invariably had to pay the 1 shilling at the main turnstile by the tower entrance, however gaining access to the piers was another matter. Whether by accident or design I do not know, but the gap in the centre of the turnstile bars was wider than the rest of bars---so, the more svelte like of us could squeeze through thus depriving MAPLC of more revenue. :ok:

Viewing at the end of 06 was tantamount to suicide at the time due to the volume of traffic on the Wilmslow road---however it was the only way to see the Mooney based in the Airworks ? hangar of course. The other option was down the lane by the side of Fairey's hangar--and the sight of the odd Jindavick or two outside.

I remember the BUA troopers, the Bev parked at the end of Pier A when the Terminal was officially opened ( I think the plan was for a para drop but the weather was c%%p ) and all the other regular visitors mentioned here.

In between leaving school and joining the RAF, I got a temp job with Forte's in the terminal---collecting and sorting / delivering beer bottles from the various bars---no draught in those days !!!----however, this did offer me ahem, a sort of added value to the job as I soon discovered that wearing a brown dustcoat and carrying a clipboard made me look "very official"---quite how official a spotty faced 16 yr old was supposed to be is a moot point of course--but this image allowed me to happily wander around the ramp area and gain access to anything I could--which was almost heaven at the time. Sadly, my employers concept of my employment and mine did not quite match each others wishes----so I was transferred to the old staff canteen in the RAF barrack blocks---which worked in my favour as it allowed me to have Saturday's free to go to Burtonwood and enjoy the delights of the Cadet Mk 3. :hmm:

I have a few, if I can dig them out, pics taken from the lane at Fairey's and one of a World Airways 727-100--now that was an exotic visitor at the time and--and if anybody can scan them in or wishes to see them, am more than happy to post them.

wezmondo
30th Mar 2007, 08:26
Any pics you folks can post would be fantastic. especially inside views of the terminal.

wezmondo
30th Mar 2007, 11:15
Have a look at this link. It's from the from the Italian fine glass makers Vannini who made the chandeliers. This one is very similar to the ones that used to be in the concourse. Can't believe they got rid of them, they were awesome.

http://toddmerrillantiques.1stdibs.com/itemdetails.php?id=128182

ZeBedie
31st Mar 2007, 16:15
Where exactly are the chandeliers now? Are they milk bottles?

Sir George Cayley
31st Mar 2007, 20:21
Never mind the chandelliers....

Wot abart the ribbed rubber floor tiles? Made a great sound if you could get a baggage trolley up to 20 mpk!

Also, the wavy canopy over the arrival departures lane. I've been told it's still there buried in the baggage hall.

G-AGXN pah! G-AOBV rules:rolleyes:

Sir George Caley

mansp
31st Mar 2007, 20:43
the good old days, when domestic baggage reclaim was where My Travel now check in, and Dan Air was the highest airport employer (apart from the airport itself), and i still miss those SU Tupolovs, best looking aircraft ever, just would never fly on one!!

Midland 331
31st Mar 2007, 20:44
>Wot abart the ribbed rubber floor tiles?

'kinneck! I'd forgtten about them. Add in the stream of multilingual departure calls, plus B-11 banshee air starts, and I'm back in 85... :-)

r

oldlag53
2nd Apr 2007, 08:26
Midland331, I was one of the lucky souls who saw the SAS Caravelle deploy its parachute - amazing sight. I dunno whether it was its first flight into MAN, but the weather on the day was slushy snow, so I always assumed that was why it deployed.

And Sir George, thanks for recalling the rubber tiles, I'd completely forgotten them - ah, happy days - especially on 'div days' when LHR was fogbound and we'd get all the 'rare' beasts in...

Cumulogranite
2nd Apr 2007, 09:34
I remember as a callow youth being given a right b*ll*cking from a copper because me and my mate where pushing each other on a trolley up the ramp from the concourse to level 5. This was just prior to us getting in the lift and going to the op of the car park to avoid paying to go through the turnstiles!! (How many did this?)

Surprised this hasn't come up yet, but who remebers going to the "brickyard". Great spotting place, and as I liked motorbikes as well it was a double bonus!!!!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd Apr 2007, 10:46
Ah! Jackson's brickyard. I used to bike it to there from Stockport in the '60s. Always returned via Woodford to see if anything interesting was happening. Great for photographs if 06 was active. Styal woods seemed better for 24, just by Frankenstein's blockhouse and the Marconi 264 head.

Midland 331
2nd Apr 2007, 11:51
I can't remember the name of the hotel, but I stayed there during my first week at SAS. Just by the road tunnel on the Wilmslow side. Later, it was famous for its "Grab a Granny" disco nights...
It was July, baking hot, and, just after 0600, with hotel room windows open, I was greeted with the early-morning "chorus" of starting B1-11s, followed by their very "stage two" departures. No chance of a lie in.
r

MancRed
2nd Apr 2007, 11:52
Do you mean the "valley lodge"

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Apr 2007, 11:54
Just near that big radar head (where the VOR is now) were some old dispersals, one of which had the remains of a Swordfish on it.

Remember cycling round there one day and seeing the remains of an inverted Viscount, partly covered by a tarpaulin. It had been practicing engine failures, and the crew got it wrong. It rolled inverted and I think 2 were killed.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Apr 2007, 11:57
Ah, the 'Grab a Granny' night at the Vally Lodge - remember them well! Also remember the old Valley Lodge, which I think burned down. The new hotel was probably built about the same time as the new Altrincham road, with the tunnels.

Midland 331
2nd Apr 2007, 12:01
Yes, "Valley Lodge".
SSD, the Viscount was a Midland aircraft.
Yet another asymmetric training incident.
r

Cumulogranite
2nd Apr 2007, 15:23
I remember Thursday night as "grab a stewardess" night myself. Hate to admit it in public, but I was actually a member there! The Valley Lodge wasn't a bad night out really though.

Now goes off and hangs head in shame

mansp
2nd Apr 2007, 16:14
does anyone remember a weekend when both LGW and LHR were fogged out and MAN got just about everything as tho only other div station for wide bodies and long haul was CDG, think it was prob about 15 years ago now, Ethiopian airways all lined up on b pier!!

wezmondo
2nd Apr 2007, 18:01
The last of the Ribbed rubber floor tiles were ripped out last summer from T1 arrivals airside. The wavy concrete awning is indeed, buried in the baggage hall. There is still a tiny bit of the original flooring in the multi storey car park lift lobbys.

wezmondo
4th Apr 2007, 12:55
Anyone remember the old signs? Black on yellow..

gingernut
4th Apr 2007, 13:55
I can't remember the name of the hotel, but I stayed there during my first week at SAS. Just by the road tunnel on the Wilmslow side. Later, it was famous for its "Grab a Granny" disco nights...

Oi- do you mind, that's where I met Mrs G:}

You remember the square at the base of terminal "A", great place for watching a Gulf Air Tristar on approach- ah, when aircraft were really interesting.....

RoyHudd
4th Apr 2007, 18:25
I remember them well, from spending hours at the end of the International pier, watching G-ATRW doing endless circuits, G-AOBV doing pleasure trips, and no "big" planes arriving for hours on end. And a big diversion day in the 60's when a Libyan Arab Caravelle was parked in front of the terminal, BUA VC-10's about the place, and all sorts of exotica were cramming the taxiways and freight apron. Also met my first hostie at the Valley Lodge.

Now I spend my time operating 321's and 330's in and out of Ringway...not the same buzz to the place for me, or maybe I'm just a lot older. I have to say, ATC are amongst the very best, and as for security and their rules.....nada.;)

chiglet
4th Apr 2007, 20:30
Remember going on a "Diversion Night"...Took a friend to photograph Concorde. :ok: Except "Security" were going Bananas.....El Al was parked on B4, but B2 had an Egyptair, and B6, a Syrian Arab :=
Still got the photies tho':ok:
Also remember when the Fireman [nearly] got shot. El Al had their own "Security"....:E and the Fireman was "birdscaring" with the Flare Gun....Bang went the gun, and "Crash" went the LandRover window as a couple of Uzis' were pointed at the poor soul :E The rules were changed so that the Israeli guns were on the 'plane and a few armed police were in the Tower and on the top level of the Car Park.
watp,iktch

David Eyre
8th May 2007, 02:19
Does anyone know what happened to the Venetian glass chandeliers that were removed from Terminal 1 in 2003?

Thanks,
David

boynefly
7th Mar 2008, 10:58
Ah! Jackson's brickyard. I used to bike it to there from Stockport in the '60s. Always returned via Woodford to see if anything interesting was happening. Great for photographs if 06 was active. Styal woods seemed better for 24, just by Frankenstein's blockhouse and the Marconi 264 head.

I think I remember Blaster Bates dropping the chimney one Sunday afternoon! Half the airport turned out to watch.

boynefly
7th Mar 2008, 11:00
Does anyone know what happened to the Venetian glass chandeliers that were removed from Terminal 1 in 2003?

Thanks,
David

Have a look at http://www.cube.org.uk/thecity/archisnap_detail.asp?id=71

Sir George Cayley
8th Mar 2008, 15:09
It's a wet Saturday afternoon and I've just come across this site

http://www.edendale.co.uk/MAIP/2.html

Pure unadulterated nostalgia :ok:

Sir George Cayley

Roy Bouchier
8th Mar 2008, 18:09
Was based at Manchester from 1967 to 1979. Used to drink after flights at The Romper where the landlord was a grumpy old sod by the name of Walter.
Now turned into a ghastly theme pub.

boynefly
9th Mar 2008, 08:38
Was based at Manchester from 1967 to 1979. Used to drink after flights at The Romper where the landlord was a grumpy old sod by the name of Walter.
Now turned into a ghastly theme pub.

Yes wound down from many a shift there too - nice to hear from you again Roy, last met in IOM a few years back at JT's flying party and reminisced about the old "Otter Control" days!

bugadifino
16th Mar 2008, 17:40
Remember in the mid 70's we used to collect goods from the BA freight depot, on the old road to the left of the terminal building as you looked at it. We used to have to drive the truck to the "airside" apron, remember once being b***ocked cos I'd left my truck in a position so planes couldn't get past, on their taxi to the runway!

Herod
16th Mar 2008, 18:06
http://www.edendale.co.uk/MAIP/2.html Conspicuous by their absence:

BIA, Air UK, KLM UK, Manx. If I'm right, both BIA and Manx operated MAN- IOM. Air UK certainly did, and MAN - AMS, later operated by the (renamed) KLM UK.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Mar 2008, 21:44
The internal entrance to the terraces is still there, its a pair of double doors behind the sunglasses shop, it leads up to the covered observation area which is now enclosed and is home to the "The Airport Tour Centre" a business owned and operated by "The Aviation Society". This society can trace its ancestry back to the remnant membership of PB Enterprises, which was disbanded. TAS as its known locally also owns and runs the 2 aviation stores at the airport and has a membership of about 1500. Its is always on the lookout for new members, if you are interested see

www.tasmanchester.com

The society and its business interests are directly responsible for introducing thousands of people of all ages to the world of aviation.

To bring this up to date, last Friday (14/03/08) was the last day of operation of the TAS Tour Centre in T1. Redevelopment of T1 will subsume it, and all tour ops are moving across to the AVP. Everything past check-in in T1 will become 'airside', and therefore not accessable if you are not travelling.

SSD

David Eyre
7th Apr 2008, 04:54
Here's a photo taken by my father inside Terminal 1 at Manchester in 1980, with those famous chandeliers:

http://myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01313666&size=large

Regards,
David

Juliet Sierra Papa
11th Apr 2008, 20:31
Hi Guys, what a brilliant thread this is, don't know why I missed it before.

Me and my mates went to the airport at every opportunity we could afford to in the early 70's. From Rochdale we used to bus it 3 or 4 times a month on the "Trans Lancs Express" No 400 operated by S.E.L.N.E.C. We once cycled there, I think it was 27 miles and on a new years day, it was freezing.
I remember we used to buy a monthly timetable that we used to scramble over to see if there was anything interesting due in the next 4 weeks or so.
I recall seeing the first visit of a 747, it was a Pan-Am 747-136 IIRC reg N652PA .
It was a great place then 35 years ago for us youngsters as keen spotters at the end of the Intl pier.

Regards
JSP

chiglet
11th Apr 2008, 22:00
JSP
I "think" that the first B747 in Manch was a BOAC one. I remember the photo in flight...of all the ants around the nest [Spectators hanging over the end of pier B]
watpiktch

Juliet Sierra Papa
12th Apr 2008, 19:48
Hi chiglet

You may be correct and I'm not going to argue the point with you, I just remember the Buzz at the time about this arrival and also the huge numbers of people there.

Hey those were good days, used to see

Comets
737 classics
DC8
DC9
DC10
VC10
L1011 (once) Eastern
1-11
Caravelle
Viscount
Vanguard
Herald
HS 146?

Tu104a (once) Aeroflot
Tu134

Many more that don't come directly to mind and the obvious that I have missed.

Cheers
JSP

west lakes
12th Apr 2008, 20:06
A couple of old scanned in piccys of the apron

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/cessna.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/vanguard.jpg

Juliet Sierra Papa
12th Apr 2008, 20:45
Hi west lakes

Nostagia hey! hahahaha
Look how busy the apron is.

Did someone climb up a floodlight pole for the second pic, I dont remember any other structures on the piers being higher than normal view point.

Thanks for the pics.

JSP

chiglet
12th Apr 2008, 20:46
JSP
You missed....
DC3 Aer Lingus
BR31 Monarch and others
TU154 Aeroflop
IL62 Tarom
FK27 Aer Lingus
FK28 Air France
A300 Laker
HS114 Jersey Airways
DC4M2 British Midland
DC6 Overseas
L1049 Lufthansa
My first visit was Easter Sunday 1951. All we saw was a BEA Viking. I've worked in ATC [at MAN] since October 1970 :ok: and I'worked out that I have seen [approx] 4900000 a/c movements.....
watpiktch

Juliet Sierra Papa
12th Apr 2008, 21:05
Hi chiglet

You're right, as I said I probably am missing a few types.

I can recall Tu 154 but not Aeroflot maybe Balkan.... is this right?
Also do recall Tarom but honestly dont remember Il-62.

Never got to see an Airbus at Man but do recall seeing the Super Guppy which used to haul the A300 wings.

Cheers
JSP

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
13th Apr 2008, 00:17
That's not Hughie I'm-so-funny-on-the-R/T (RTF for you new boys) Green's bloody Skymaster is it?

chiglet, were you Tower (and/or approach) or Preston RADAR?

chiglet
13th Apr 2008, 15:33
GBZ
Tower...then PATCRU...then Toewr/Runway Controller...then FBU/Tower/MACC....then Tower...now MACC.
watpiktch

west lakes
13th Apr 2008, 15:34
JSP

If I recall (long time ago!!) the photo was taken on top of the terminal in the viewing area which at that time had two levels, even then the access to the piers was closed IIRC

Some more: -

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/1-11.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/trident.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/vc10.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/west_lakes/herald.jpg

Slight thread parallel, the a/c and company was probably seen at Manchester, I've probably just been on it (or just about to get on it) but I have no idea where it was taken (Possibly BPL, IOM or DUB though) any ideas please?

Paper Lad
13th Apr 2008, 18:18
In Aug 1978 I flew out of MAN as a spotty youf with Aeroflot and I'm fairly sure it was a TU 154. The trip was to Leningrad (as was) and I guess it was some sort of special charter because it was arranged through my dad's union for 'Freinds of the USSR'.

I remember the crew set thrust against brakes for the take off roll. I don't know if this was for performance reasons or just showing off but to me it was exciting stuff. Then I got politely told off by a hostie for taking my camera out of its bag:)

PL

EGGP
13th Apr 2008, 19:42
The BUA Herald is I believe at IOM Ronaldsway, the Tower behind is quite distinctive.

EGGP

Juliet Sierra Papa
13th Apr 2008, 19:52
Hi west lakes,

Some more great pics, thanks. That VC10 is some mean aircraft.

Sorry I can't help with the location of the HP Herald.

west lakes
13th Apr 2008, 19:57
EGGP

Thanks, was definately not BPL (too hilly in background!!)

Only flights I did as a youngster were BPL - IOM twice (once in a DC3) and BPL - DUB

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
13th Apr 2008, 20:14
Ah, the TU154. AUG 91 I flew into Manch in a TAROM machine. It didn’t look the best maintained aeroplane in the world but I was impressed with the approach on to Rwy 06. It was a gin clear day via Blue 1, as I think it still was, and routed Millbrook, Woodford (XM603 looked good in the morning sunlight) and South of Knutsford. I think it must have been a visual approach from the way we were being poled around the Cheshire countryside. From about 1500 feet, the traffic on the M56 looked remarkably close to the wing tip. I think the TU154 would have made a good bomber!

chiglet. Sometime between NOV 71 and JAN 73, we probably met, depending on watches.

Hyperborean
13th Apr 2008, 21:58
Herald definitely at IOM.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Apr 2008, 22:49
Don't forget those wonderfully noisy Spantax Coronados!

That VC10 pic takes me right back. BOAC Cunard - what a wonderfully gracefull aeroplane, if a tad loud with four Speys! But strangely, the 1-11s with half as many Speys seemed louder. Maybe becuase they hung around longer.

On a CONGA departre you could still hear them at the 06 end several minutes after they'd taken off.

spekesoftly
13th Apr 2008, 23:20
That VC10 pic takes me right back. BOAC Cunard - what a wonderfully gracefull aeroplane, if a tad loud with four Speys!

And a tad louder with four Conways! ;)

Juliet Sierra Papa
14th Apr 2008, 19:10
And a tad louder with four Conways!

Absolutely right spekesoftly all 84000 lb's of them. The 1-11 did have Speys of between about 10300-12500lb's..... No contest ;)

Strangely enough the Caravelle was rated as among or if not the loudest of that era and was kitted with 12600lb Avons and later JT8D's.

Music to my ears:ok:

johnw1951
14th Apr 2008, 21:40
Never mind Venetian glass chandeliers. What happened to Alcock and Brown statue? Always good for a teenage snigger.... Don't know if it's Brown your side but it's.... You get the idea.

barry lloyd
14th Apr 2008, 21:54
Just had to post this. Can't remember when I took it, but it was a long time ago!

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll226/tango15_photos/IBCONNIEMAN.jpg

MARK9263
16th Apr 2008, 18:00
Great photo.
That picture would have been taken from a covered deck directly above the Airport Shop situated close to the entrance of Pier B.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
17th Apr 2008, 21:14
Mention of Alcock and Brown reminds me of a PA announcement made in the Summer of ’72; "would Messrs Alcock and Brown please report to the Air Traffic Control Tower". John (I think) Brown was the Manch ATC Training Officer and Norman Alcock was the Regional Inspector. I was easily amused in those days.

chiglet
17th Apr 2008, 22:09
GBZ
John Brown...one of that dying breed...a True [and natural] Gentleman. [He was my Watch Supervisor] So were Pete Perry and Les Miller. :ok:
As to Mr Alcock...I remember "Norman" as an STPO [Specialist TelePrinter Operator] and D.G. [Dave] Alcock and G.D [Graham] Alcock..as ATCAs...both on the same watch.....:ugh:
watpiktch

WHBM
18th Apr 2008, 13:08
Flew out of Manchester for the first time on a Saturday in August 1971 on a Wardair 707 to Vancouver. This was apparently a notable sight for the time (later they became more common) which fascinated the spotters - we were having coffee in the buffet before departure, the 707 landed empty inbound from Gatwick or somewhere so not on the arrival board, and a whole lot of them ran over to the window !

There was the most incredibly tatty Channel Airways Comet 4B on the next stand heading to Palma, with half a BEA paint scheme still on it, paint patched and peeling, unwashed, never seen an unkempt aircraft like it before (or since, really). Next year, Channel were gone.

The car park was just a small surface one in front of the terminal. If it was full you parked in the Excelsior Hotel car park, which was completely uncontrolled, and walked across the road.

Some years later took a BA One-Eleven to Glasgow. This was a through flight from Frankfurt and was on the international pier. There was a "gate" which was an obscure door on the right hand side of the main hall which led round a windowless passage and allowed domestic passegers to circumvent the departure controls still in place then (and to keep them out of the Duty Free as well !). All now long gone.

I, too, wondered what happened to those chandeliers.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Apr 2008, 13:18
The Allcock & Brown statue is still there - on the upper floor at the rail station end of the 'Skylink'. The Parachute Regiment memorial stained glass window is in the T1 chapel.

VfrpilotPB/2
24th Apr 2008, 20:38
This thread has taken me back a little, my very last holiday with Mater and Pater was to Jersey in July 1965, we flew from Ringway as most people called it then , I think with BEA, in a Viscount, that was also my first commercial flight in a BIG pax a/c, if I close my eyes I can still hear the whine from those turbines, but how tiny Viscounts look when you look at the Regional Jets that flit in and out of Ringway now!

Peter R-B

Vfrpilotpb

mephisto
4th Oct 2008, 22:14
I have just stumbled across this thread and it has prompted me to make my first PPRuNe posting

From around 1955 to the early sixties my father worked for BEA in a uniformed 'reservations' capacity. He split his time between Ringway and the city centre Royal Exchange Air Terminal. Now, a lot of my recollections are hazy and some will prove innaccurate in their finer details but I am going to list a mixture of some of my late father's anecdotes and some of my own boyhood memories. I'm sure some of my points will serve to ressurrect this excellent thread and some new and entertaining stuff will result.

Here are my notes in no particular order or chronological relevance.

*Vulcans from nearby Woodford would sometimes perform circuits and bumps much to the startlement and horror of waiting passengers, but bemusement of airport workers.

*Several Vampires and perhaps a Meteor or two were based at Ringway and gave impromptu displays.

*When a Stratocruiser (PanAm, I think) landed at Ringway people looked on in dread as it approached the runway in a nosedive. Not having seen a Stratocruiser before, it just did not seem right that its nosewheel should be the first to touch the ground.

*Pleasure flights in an Auster from the hangars at the Altrincham Road farside were only 5 or 10 shillings. My pocket money was sixpence a week so I never left the ground in an Auster.

*A frequent celebrity Ringway passenger was Honor Blackman who was quite a stunner. She lived quite near - probably Wilmslow.

*My father used to sort out complicated UK flight itineries for the renowned racecourse gambler Alex Bird, who lived in Prestbury. My father's reward was a tip for which he was sworn to secrecy until after the race. These tips were, as they say, straight from the horses mouth and they always won. I might be wrong, but Mr Bird might have gone on to get his own light aircraft or at least make greater use of air taxis.

*Finnegan's of Wilmslow, the up-market department store, later to become Hoopers, ran the duty free shop. The catering was contracted to Smallman's. I seem to recall some kerfuffle about Mr Smallman being a city councillor and the tendering process had not been as squeaky clean as it ought to. I could be mistaken though.

*The ferrying of passengers between the airport and the city centre terminal was done with a small fleet of pale blue buses. The sight of one of these was enough to arouse schoolboy excitement. They were just so exclusive and mere members of the public would never get to ride on one. The buses were operated by Manchester City Council Transport Department and in addition to the blue colour scheme they were single deck from the front to halfway then a double deck sprouted from mid to rear. The cavernous luggage hold was under the top deck. The drivers acted like they owned Princess Parkway.

*For some strange reason an Icelandic aircraft was stranded at Ringway - probably a Loftleidir DC4. The passengers were all Icelandic whalers on their way to repatriation after a presumed long period at sea. Without exception, they were massive, bearded and looked ferocious. Naturally, they set up camp in the bar with not unexpected consequences. When the time came, they ignored all normal requests to board and the situation was close to getting dangerously out of hand until an Icelandic stewardess came on the scene. She was big-big blonde and certainly not the sort to take nonsense from anyone. To get this drunken horde out of the bar and across the apron to the waiting aircraft would normally have presented an impossible task. However, this nordic godess soon had them under control and behaving sheepishly. She organised a game which resulted in the ensemble performing a noisy but good-spirited conga which snaked around the bar a couple of times, then through a strategic door and eventually, still snakingly, across the tarmac to the aircraft steps.

*Apparently there was a plumbers merchant or similar in the Isle of Man who had a lock-up near Ringway which held a supply of copper cisterns. Whenever the DC3 to Ronaldsway was particularly empty, the first class section would be curtained off and, shielded from the passengers eyes, the seats would be occupied by copper cylinders, each oneduly strapped in. It helped with the trim too. You may treat this with a pinch of salt but in those days I was inclined to believe everything my father told me.

*The name 'Silver Wings Club' was unmentionable in our household. I only ever heard those words when my mother was cross about father's very occasional late homecomings. I wonder why?

*Does anyone remember the BEA ciggies in lightweight alloy tins? Were they Benson & Hedges or Du Maurier?

*From time to time I would get a few BEA barley sugar sweets. Standard issue on unpressurised aircraft. They were great for playground barters.

*In 1957 my brother and I who were in the cubs, were taken by father in a DC3 to Elmdon. We were to go on to Sutton Great Park to visit the Centenary Jamboree. Resplendent in our pristine uniforms and polished shoes, we were given the VIP treatment and had the 'honour' of leading the passengers out.

*As a boy I was fortunate to make quite a few unaccompanied flights. Invariably these were to Heathrow in a DC3 or Viscount and, towards the end, a Vanguard. I would be met by one of my father's colleagues and plonked on the 'roof garden' of Queen's Building. No matter how exciting the spotting was I always had to make my way back to the desk at about 2.30 - 3.00pm for the earliest flight back to Ringway lest there be problems with my 'stand-by' ticket.

*My spotting years were from around 1958 until just before the opening of the new terminal in 1962 so I never experienced the roof or piers. I would cycle from Rusholme to the pathway at the end of the runway down the side of the Airport Hotel. I used to get there much quicker by bike than by the 64 bus which took a circuitous route taking in Cheadle and Gatley. My route took me through Fallowfield, Withington and down Palatine Road where I would skirt Northenden and then Longley Road, Sharston, Benchill and finally a complicated little short cut through Woodhouse Park. Sometimes I would wait until my friends got on the bus in Rusholme and then proceed to prove that bike was quicker over the 5 or 7 miles or however many miles it was as the crow flies. By the way, does anyone remember the Stockport based North Western Roadcar Company which shared the 64 route with MCTD. They had strange red buses with long bench seats upstairs, the passageway being down the offside windows. Very awkward if you were 'trapped' in a window seat. Half a dozen people would have to move to let you out.

Here are a few of my Ringway memories:-

*The Ferranti family had homes and their factory HQ near the airport and used to base their DH Heron and/or Dove there. These were followed by a Piaggio P116 which made an unmistakable high-pitched noise due to it having twin rear facing props. For a short time I was under the erroneous impression that it was an amphibian but later learned that the P116 was based on an earlier Piaggio aircraft which was amphibian.

* With waits of up to an hour between aircraft arrivals, things could get tedious. You would watch that distant tiny black dot morph over the minutes into an aircraft and there would be a race to identify it first. There were very few folks around then with quality binoculars and scanners were unheard of. The monthly single sheet timetable might have included it but anything which was not a boring scheduled flight would never be included. It was useless to us regular spotters. Usually the main onboard landing lights would switch on about a mile from touchdown but if you saw lights on approach miles away, you could bet a pound to a penny that it was an Aer Lingus DC3. Were they the only ones to keep lights on all the time? The DC3s were replaced by Fokker Friendships during my time spotting.

*The pure jet age arrived at Ringway with Air France's Caravelle. I can't be certain but I feel that the Caravelle predated the first 707 as a scheduled jetliner at Ringway. The first 707 I saw was Sabena. Was Sabena the first airline to fly 707s out of Ringway? The others around that era were obviously BOAC and there was Aer Lingus. The bizjet had not fully arrived but I recall a Chester built DH125 making an early appearance. Before the arrival of the 707 the transatlantic flights were done by BOAC DC7 (Seven Seas) and Britannias (The Whispering Giant). The Super Connie with its wingtip fuel tanks, probably my all time favourite airliner after Concorde, was a rarity.

*Most comical and predictable regular was a Dan Air Avro York. I think it was on newspaper runs. It would bounce half a dozen times before settling on the runway.

*Helicopters were so rare in those days. I probably only saw half a dozen in my Ringway days. One was a civilian Bolkow and the remainder military Whirlwind types.

*My last Ian Allan had not yet completed G-A--- series.

*Package and charter operators rarely bought new. The overseas holiday industry was in its infancy and relied on cast-off DC3s, Vickers Vikings, DC4s and 6s. BUA used the more recent exBEA early Viscounts but, I believe this was to satisy HMG's conditions of troop carrying contracts. BKS based at Yeadon did buy new Avro 748s though they did have a varied fleet of second-hand including some exBEA DC3s and Elizabethans. I think a Channel Islands Airline bought new Dart Heralds but stictly speaking, they were probly more of a flag carrying airline than a charter outfit. Incidentally, I flew in a Herald some twenty years later and it was still like new.

*Convair Metropolitans had scheduled flights in and out of Ringway. I can remember seeing them in Swissair and Sabena liveries.

*Hunting Clan and British Eagle were regulars. I think they had DC4s, Vikings and perhaps the aforementioned Metropolitan.

*Bristol Freighters could often be seen. There was a sizeable traffic in racehorses between UK and Ireland. It was a Bristol Freighter en route from the Isle of Man which crashed onto Winter Hill in 1958 (The Viscount crash in 1957 just a couple of hundred yards from the Airport Hotel, just predates my spotting years).After the Bristol Freighters came the twin boomed BEA Argosy and, to my mind, the thinking behind the 747, the Carvair. Extra special cargo visitors were from Flying Tiger Lines. Word would spread like wildfire and people would descend on the airport in droves no matter what time of night or day. A rare treat would be a KLM Lockheed Electra (also cargo, I think). Those Allison turboprops sounded like nothing else.

*A Heron of The Queen's Flight with ubiquitous day-glo and Prince Philip at the controls was a memorable 'cop'

*Occasionally some of us would cycle round to near where the Romper pub stands and hope to glimpse Djindivik drones outside Fairey's hangar. Also, there was a twin engined American warplane which we assumed was a Martin Marauder or something of that ilk. It seemed to be there forever.

Seeing as this is my very first post in quite a few years of being a registered PPRuNer I have made up for it by possibly going over the top on my word count. Still, I hope its not all been boring. It would be nice if one or two of you could add your comments and please, please put me right where my shrinking brain cells have got it wrong.

bar none
6th Oct 2008, 09:56
Mephisto

The KLM electra was a regular Saturday substitution for the scheduled viscount. Thay occasionally used to sub to a DC8 as well.

Higher Archie
6th Oct 2008, 18:36
Ahh some memories on this thread ...

The black rubber flooring all over T1, with the sound of trolleys running over it... for me, the sound of travel.

The travelators in the T1 car park, much faster than the lifts today.

VC10's on Pier B. A few years back I had the honour of marshalling an RAF aircraft on to stand. A fine sight, and the parking wasn't bad either.

Christmas parties: the best ones were held by SB and Customs. Customs, somehow, always had a very well stocked bar ...

Good News on the chandeliers ... Thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund, two are being restored, one to go to the Museum of Glass in St Helens, the other to the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry.

STATSMAN
7th Oct 2008, 15:59
I think it was "Archie" from SB, that ran the christmas parties. He funded the party with a football card where you purchased a team for a sum of money & when the card was full he would pull the tape at the bottom of the card showing the winning team he would take half the stake & you would win the other half. What happened to Archie think he had a heart bypass?

STATSMAN

Juliet Sierra Papa
8th Oct 2008, 18:28
mephisto, nice post :ok:, welcome back

JSP

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Oct 2008, 21:00
Mephismo - that brings back lots of memories for me. We used to cycle to the 06 end, on Altrincham Road near the 'level crossing gates' across the road that were closed for 06 arrivals. The road was along a concrete 'taxyway' in those days, probably dating from WW2 but then (early 60s) outside the airport boundary. It's part of the airport's taxyway system again these days.

The Winter Hill crash was a Bristol Wayfarer - passenegr version of the Freighter. And the dreaded Smallmans also held the contract for school dinners at our school in Hale Barns - and it was absolutely inedible! I suspect they did rather better for the airport.

My first ever flight was in an Auster from Ringway - a birthday present I think. It changed my life - I sat behind the pilot and marvelled that he could move the stick and the whole world tilted over. "I'm going to do that one day" I promised myself. "Move a stick to tilt the world". Been flying aeroplanes for 30 years this year.:ok:

SSD

olympus
11th Oct 2008, 18:01
A few of my memories of Ringway-

Going with my friend Roger and his parents in their Austin (KAT 647 - why can I remember that registration when I can't remember if I locked the back door this evening?) to 'look at the planes'. This must have been circa 1952 or 3 (we were VERY young). The car park was cinders, I think we saw a Rapide that was doing pleasure flights and I can remember the Fairey hangar was clearly visible. I have no idea where the car park was in relation to today's layout.

I was never a frequent visitor to EGCC as a pilot but my logbook tells me I first went there on 31 May 1971 in a Cherokee G-AVBM. I visited several more times that year, once in a Chipmunk to pick up my then girlfriend, a hostie on BEA's S1-11 fleet, parking alongside one of the piers! My last visit was 2 Oct 1999 in command of a 146.

I certainly remember North Western Roadcar's buses with the lateral benches upstairs. Getting off wasn't much of a problem on the route I used to travel - Glossop to Manchester with stops in Stalybridge and Ashton only. (As an aside I also remember the SHMD buses which worked the same area - they all seemed to be real rattletraps).

Storminnorm
11th Oct 2008, 19:29
Olympus. Please don't slag off the old SHMD buses.
My uncle used to work on them as a "Body builder!
He died a few years ago because of the asbestos
they used to insulate the bodywork.
My second EVER flight was in the old Rapide that
operated at the then Ringway. About 1948 I think.
That's all there was operating there then I think!
My first flight was off Southport beach in an old
DH Moth that someone had managed to fit out with
a TINY 4 seat cabin. Thrill a second!
I was told that the chap used to keep it in the local
bus garage and taxy it from there to the beach at the
start of the day's business. Don't know how true that was?
My LAST duty flight from MAN was a 767 to Montego Bay.
Slightly less exciting. Returned to LGW.
What a difference the years make! :ok:

olympus
11th Oct 2008, 20:18
Storminnorm
I don't know when you had your flight off Southport beach but in the late sixties/early seventies Capt J S Lewery had the concession to operate pleasure flights from the beach with his Fox Moth.

Taxying the aircraft from the town may be an urban myth as I recall he positioned the Moth to Squires Gate at the end of each day's flying. (and no offence intended with the reference to SHMD).

chiglet
12th Oct 2008, 16:14
Ahhhh, the "Joint Board", Green and 'Off White'...North Western "Express", sorry, "Limited Stop" :ugh:...Manchester-Glossop....
Sorry, but this is a Manchester Airport thread......:O
watp,iktch

MARK9263
22nd Oct 2008, 14:00
Could anybody help me out with some old copies of ''WINGED-WORDS''
Due to a very nasty ex-wife I am looking for some tour logs.
I know these would have reproduced in the magazine.
Dates I require are 1977-1979.
Can collect or pay postage.

Sorry its not strictly to do with MAN but dont know where else to ask.

Many thanks
Mark

forget
25th Oct 2008, 15:28
They had strange red buses with long bench seats upstairs, the passageway being down the offside windows. Very awkward if you were 'trapped' in a window seat. Half a dozen people would have to move to let you out.

Point of triv mephisto; they were 'strange' for a reason - to get under bridges other double deckers couldn't. :ok:

The Lodekka page (http://classicbristolbuses.thornet.co.uk/lodekka.htm)

Davidsoffice
27th Oct 2008, 12:14
Mark,
If you have no joy with Winged Words, let me know which tours you want and i'll look up my own logs as probably did most in those years.

David

MARK9263
28th Oct 2008, 22:32
David

Thanks for the reply.
The logs I am desperate for are the following PB Enterprises coach tours...

LHR & BIGGIN HILL 29/01/1977
LHR & BIGGIN HILL 14/05/1977 (Also called at LTN & STS)
GREENHAM COMMON 26/06/1977 (Think it also called on THRUXTON &
BOH)
HEATHROW 22/07/1978
MILDENHALL 27/0/1978
FARNBOROUGH 10/09/1978 (Also called on BLACKBUSHE & LHR)
GREENHAM COMMON 24/06/1979 (Also called at LHR & LTN)

Had on luck getting hold of any back Winged Words so if you have any of these tour logs that would be great.

Mark

S'land
30th Oct 2008, 10:27
The chandeliers will shine again.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Airport's iconic lights to shine (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/7699345.stm)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
31st Oct 2008, 20:16
Ah, that photo of the chandeliers in T1, with all the airline logos on the plaques around the top of the walls as well! How stylish airports were back then, and how permanent were the airlines.

Today, airport terminals are soul-less shopping centres with all the charm of a paper cup. Whatever happened to 'style'?

wiccan
31st Oct 2008, 22:50
Whatever happened to 'style'?
I think that it went out of the window, along with "Manners" and "Respect"
bb

Brewster Buffalo
1st Nov 2008, 18:20
The chandeliers will shine again.

Good to hear but sad they can't find a spot for them at the airport..

Ringway71
4th Jan 2009, 00:00
I found this thread by accident and had to register to say hi!

I was a spotty spotter from 67 to 74. Sometimes behind the hedge at the Airport Hotel (APH), facing the A/c turning for Runway 24. Mostly I was on the terraces or on the Pier roofs...but it was usually windy on there so was in the Central glass house. I remember them building the "Jumbo pier", I also seem to remember it too had a roof that was open to the public (For a short while anyway).
I used to hang about with some lads from Huddersfield, one of them was deaf. There was also a fella called Phil Lines? Two brothers called Steve and Geoff Ball. Geoff died in 74ish, Steve worked at Woodrord. A little fella, came on a motorbike, ? Theobald? He started running coach trips.
A chap caled Peter B Hardy, he penned a book called "Guide to Aerodromes in Britain", which included the most odd places where A/c were stored. Still have a copy somewhere. A lad called Dave McCartney? Any of these ringing bells?

Who remembers January 4th 1972? All London was fogged and M/c got a massive amount of diversions until it was full and had to refuse any more. There was even a DC8 and two 707's on the South side, on the taxiway for the light jobs.

chiglet
4th Jan 2009, 11:14
I remember that one DC8 used reverse thrust to "back out" of 28/10... no tow bar :ok:

learjet50
4th Jan 2009, 11:23
Hi

Re your post

I Think there must have been 2 Geoff Balls beacuase the 1 i know had his retirment party at the ship Inn in Styal las Year (Looked pretty alive to me)

You must have been there in the days of MAD HARRY/BURMA BESS

I Cant think of any more names but there are still a few of them around

I Thing the Kirbys are still around but into Hot Air Balloning now

Do you remember Brian(Gammy)Lewis ? I know he died some time ago.

If you think of any more let me know

Regards

GGR
4th Jan 2009, 11:37
Manchester City Council (http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/Display.php?irn=10294&QueryPage=%2F)

The above link will take you to Manchester Libraries Archive where you can input Manchester Airport and sit for hours looking at real memories! Another good link is

Airliners.net | Airplanes - Aviation - Aircraft- Aircraft Photos & News (http://www.airliners.net/)

make your way to the search feature and enter Manchester Airport from year to year. Many shots in colour on here and totally evocative reading. Let me know your findings all.

Happy New Year

GGR

cyclops16
4th Jan 2009, 12:30
I remember when I first started spotting and the black rubber tiles,Chandaliers,etc.the little information desk near WHSmith,we used to go around the offices in T1 the likes of Laker, B Cal,etc and such and ask if they had any spare baggage tags,stickers,etc and generally got some.Taking my bike up the travelators in the car park up to level 13,before it had security fencing around it or walking down their piers or in the glass house,that was a good place because there were toilets and a cafe behind it. One of the strange things was that Pier 'C' was shut by security (it had it's own gate) when the EL AL arrived. I still have 1 or 2 of the tokens for the turnstiles for the piers. I take my kids now and they don't believe that you could get that close to an aircraft by walking down the piers and that there was no 'real'security fencing. I have to show them pictures when they ask,so they see how different it has become.

Ringway71
4th Jan 2009, 21:28
Chiglet....
I thought I was the only one who saw that reversing lark with the DC8!
Later in life, as I became an Engineer and worked in the Aero/Defence game I became convinced that it didn't actually reverse with RT only. So, we could be both right or both mad!

Ringway71
4th Jan 2009, 21:30
Learjet 50....
Yes, you are so correct! It was Gammy that died in 74ish. Apols to Geoff Ball for assuming his premature demise!

Don't remember Mad Harry or Burma Bess.

learjet50
5th Jan 2009, 07:52
Hi

Thanks for your reply

Mad Harry (phillip Billington) not a spotter but would always be around

Burma Bess Big Girl again not a spotter but she had some phycoligical problem again came on the Bus from Chorlton and was always there

Do you Remember Michael Ewens(Bonehead) Big Lad and spotter had a Bubble Car ???

Martin Driver ?? Strange Bloke

Terry Priest at one time he was Chairman of the Aviation Society that formed at the Airport

Who was the un-kemp little fellow who used to paint Plastic Aircraft Kits by hand in different Airline Coulor Schemes

Dave Lomax (The Bullocks Coach Driver) ??

Dave Hams ?? worked for KLM in Cargo I think he is still at the Airport working in the Cargo Centre somewhere.

Macca McClean I think he is still with Selwyns driving on the Airport

And not forgetting Sargeant Harry Walton(Every spotters Nightmare

Still see as I said Geoff Ball on occasions (Now retired) He still keeps in touch with a few of the Old Lads from those days

I Started worked at Northern Exec in 1972 and was made redundant last year after 35 years when Ocean Sky took over.

All the Original staff except about 2 which worked before the takeover have been made redundant or got rid of,The Russians brought there own people in to organise what was a perfectly good Organisation and as expected did not do a Good Job.
There are some very good people at Ocean Sky however there are not

Those were the good old days when you could vertually go anywhere apart from the Concourse when Harry Walton was on duty

Fond memories

Let me know if you remember any more blasts from the past

Regards

Ringway71
6th Jan 2009, 00:02
Learjet50,
nope...don't remember Harry, Bess or anyone with a BubbleCar.
Martin Driver, yep remember him.
I remember the Av. society starting, but not the name of Terry Priest.
I do remember Dave Lomax.
And of course "Walton"!

Other names have now sprung to my mind...
Paul Caine, lived in Wythenshawe.
Jack Duffield, as well as a spotter he was something to do with a footy club - Macc or Droylsden. He worked in the offices between Airport Hotel and the original roundabout.
Peter Boardman, the lad with Robin Day type spectacles and damaged fingers.
Doug and Clig Pearson.
A tall lad from Styal, bit of a hippy, always bought "Flight" magazine whereas we all bought Air Pictorial. He had a scope rather than Bins.
David Bird.
Steven Swift.
Do you remember a bloke called Wallace Gandy? I think that was his name. Very tall, specatacles. He had a White Fiat 128 with a reg. something like GED 33L.

As for the Ball brothers, I remember Steve more than Geoff. Steve worked at Woodford and would tell us which 748's were on flight trials, they were all on "G" construction numbers but we allowed ourselves to cop the first Registration. Like we were ever going to see a Columbian 748 in it's natural habitat :-)
I remember going to a few "Do's" in the Rendesvous suite. I presume that has long gone now.

learjet50
6th Jan 2009, 08:31
Hi

Thanks for your reply the other names dont ring a bell but I m sure I would know them if I saw them

Do you still go to the Airport Still Spotting ??

Take care

Regards

Gerry

Ringway71
6th Jan 2009, 16:59
No, I live a long way off now. But I have been in Aerospace Defence all my working life.
I stopped "Spotting" in about 1974.

crispey
8th Jan 2009, 18:42
Nobody mentioned Concorde's first diversion here yet?Sometime in the 1970s.I haven't seen it in all these wonderful memories.I'd just arrived back from a holiday in Malaga when we pulled up and before de-planing just glanced through the window.There she was alongside.I thought we must have landed at Heathrow and I'd missed the announcement.Next morning I whistled up from Stoke to have a look at the take off.I found about 50,000 folk hanging from the trees near the Valley Lodge and a large policeman preventing access to the road leading to the south side hangers.I flashed my PPL and told him I'd got to take a plane out that morning.

His reply "I don't care if you're flying the Queen of Sheba home mate,you're not going up there"

I did hear it go though I didn't see much of it.My then flying mate P1FEL wangled a visit airside I'm sure.

Cavair
14th Apr 2009, 22:36
anyone remember the MHGS aviation club in the 60s? i ran it for about a year, prob when i was in 6th form. Organised trips to London and various shows.
i saw some early postings from 2007 on this thread, and like others had to register!

I lived near Woodford airfield and had views of the hangars and 748 prod line - also got caught going thro the fence!! Also remember crawling thro the bars of the turnstiles to get up to the terraces at MAN!! School was great as it was under the approach - many happy memories of diversions. Also the many unusual charters - anyone remember a Rhodesian DC6, VP-YYR. not sure of date or year but i can disticntly remember it coming in over the "quad" (playground) during a PE lesson! Capitol C46s, American Flyers Electras and DC8s, SAM DC6s.
I still have a photo of 'LHG the Argonaut which crashed at Stockport, taken earlier in the year.
i have some photos on my website Cavill Connections - Richard Caville - Genealogy, Aviation, History... (http://www.cavillconnections.co.uk)
click on the classic aircraft link. Not v gd condition but i have others which im getting scanned and hope to put up.
happy remisniscing!
Richard

Captain Airclues
15th Apr 2009, 09:56
Cavair

I started the MHGS Aviation Club (I think that it was called the airspotters club originally) in 1964. As you say, MHGS was a great place to watch aircraft. Probably why I failed my A levels :{

Dave

WHBM
15th Apr 2009, 11:10
anyone remember a Rhodesian DC6, VP-YYR. not sure of date or year but i can disticntly remember it coming in over the "quad" (playground) during a PE lesson!
If the reg is correct it was a DC-4, No. 10640, built for the US Air Force in 1945. Autair had it as G-ASZT early in 1965, then it was sold to Rhodesian Air Services in August that year as VP-YYR, who used it for only four months, which probably enables you to date your sighting of it. Rhodesia declared UDI in November 1965 and was cut off by the world community, the aircraft was sold on in January 1966 to a Zaire company, and two months after that it was back with Autair under it's previous British registration - probably someone was not paying their bill, or some fiddles associated with the UDI, somewhere along the line.

Golf Charlie Charlie
15th Apr 2009, 23:47
SZT passed on to Invicta in 1966. After 1968 it spent the rest of its life under various African registrations, finally being written off in a crash in the Congo on 7 January 1987 as 9Q-CAG.

rustyflyer
23rd Apr 2009, 12:21
This thread has certainly taken me back, must go & dig out my old photos from the late 70's!
I happened on the thread looking for info on the most remarkable diversion I remember: Cycled up to Ringway one foggy evening having got wind of there being a "div" on to be confronted by a stunning site, B pier playing host to 5 ( yes five) Concordes. I'm sure my memory of this is accurate as I even remember counting them out by ear from home next morning!!! :D
Can anyone confirm my memory? Perhaps even provide more info or a date??
VC10's were always my fave, particularly the short fuselage ones when they came in crew-training, boy did they climb like homesick angels with nothing on-board...

Russ

Curious Pax
23rd Apr 2009, 13:12
I can't find the facts to prove it, but I am certain that there were never 5 concordes at MAN simultaneously, especially on pier B. At the back of my mind there may have been either 2 at once, or 2 on the same day but not the same time, but that is all. The concordesst website refers to a picture of 5 BA concordes taken the day they retired from service - I suspect that may be the only time 5 were lined up together anywhere in the world!

Golf Charlie Charlie
24th Apr 2009, 19:53
Not five, but there was a famous formation flight of four BA Concordes for some publicity purpose over the Channel. Dim memory tells me it was a Christmas Eve about 1984-ish. So I suppose there were 4 take-offs and landings in pretty close proximity at LHR.

GeorgeMaybury
6th May 2010, 14:15
This thread brought back memories for me too. As a young spotter in about 1962/63 I often used to cycle to Ringway from near Lymm. I have a vague memory of noting a Gloster Meteor preserved there. Unfortunately all my notes have been lost in various house moves over many years. Has memory played tricks, or does anyone else remember it?If I am right, can anyone help with its serial please? Many tanks, George.

Brewster Buffalo
9th May 2010, 12:30
I used to visit Ringway in the mid-60s but can't remember any Meteor being there unless it was hidden away in the hangers somewhere.

KeMac
9th May 2010, 12:57
Would any kind person on this thread be able to tell me where I could find out the serials of the Sabres that were refurbished by Airwork at Ringway in the 1950s?

superspotter
9th May 2010, 17:46
I have just read this thread from start to finish and it has just made me realise how much Manchester Airport has pervaded my life!
I am typing this sat in an hotel at Luxembourg airport in between flights as my job as a loadmaster, a direct result of my hobby as a spotter :)
Call me sad! but I remember the actual day I started spotting; 8th of August 1976 and I also remember "making" 68 aircraft and that was without decent binoculars to read of the stuff on the south side.
My first meeting with the airport was back in 1973 when my mum, dad and I emigrated to Zambia so it was a flight on a British Airways 1-11 down to Heathrow. It was the ensuing to-ing and fro-ing between Zambia and schooling back here that ignited my interest in aircraft and spotting. I remember the arduous journey by bus, the 211 from Hyde to Manchester then the 44 onwards to the airport. On Sundays I seem to remember catching the 400 in Denton I think it was, direct to the airport.
When I left school it was my intention to join the RAF but being rather unable to accept discipline :ooh: I never pursued that avenue but some years later I found myself working from the freight centre at the airport for Captain Cargo!!
I then branched out on my own and ran a small delivery company again based at the airport. I went on to employ drivers and spent even more time at the airport spotting at the brickworks and then on to the newly opened AVP. It was from my almost daily visits to the viewing park that I met a certain gentleman that worked for an airline and who was also a spotter that I ended up first working in operations then becoming a loadmaster and all because of Manchester airport!!
I still live 8.5 miles out from 23R and whenever I am home I am still to be found with my head stuck out of my loft window or down at the airport (not as much now as the AVP has lost it's original lustre, but that's another long saga).
We all know now that Manchester airport, indeed any airport, is a different animal to what it used to be in days gone by. Completely impersonal and sterile, not the friendly welcoming place it used to be but I still feel very close to the place.
Sorry if I have waffled somewhat :)

Sir George Cayley
9th May 2010, 21:50
Ringway had that effect on a number of young tykes just after the war. They formed a loose association and kept in touch over the years as they progressed thru' life.

One of them, known to all as Mike, went on to greater things in the midlands. He retired recently having sold his shares to chaps from the country that perhaps helped shape his interest in aeroplanes.

Funny how things turn out. Anyone care to guess his surname?

Sir George Cayley

Helen49
10th May 2010, 06:12
I suspect.....the Ecclesiastical Knight?!
Helen

STATSMAN
10th May 2010, 07:45
Born in Cheadle, worked at Airviews for the late Bruce Martin taking money for the pleasure flights, friend of Ray & Jim.

Hyperborean
10th May 2010, 18:24
Ah! Bruce Martin. In my brief sojourn at Mach as an ATCO Cadet there was a flight progress strip in approach which was permanently marked and pulled out at the appropriate times, it simply read, "Bruce is loose."

STATSMAN
11th May 2010, 13:43
Bruce's Auster G-AGXN still current. Bruce sadly missed

J4CKO99
8th Jun 2010, 21:37
Read this with interest, I wasnt a spotter as a kid, just another annoying little urchin drawn to the aiport for a mooch around, used to charge around the car parks on our bikes, up the travellator things, scrounge baggage tags and watch the planes from the top of the multi story, I rememeber the rubber tiles and their distinctive odour ! I remember taking bikes up in the T1 car park lift and getting in the way of travellers, I remember the doors to said lifts having loads of baggage tag residue, mainly due to them coming off luggage but also kids sticking them on the doors to see them rip when the doors opened, remember there were no Xboxes then in 1983 or therabouts when I was 12/13.

I remember buying, randomly a travel toothbrush, dont know why, wasnt that keen on cleaning my teetch back them, seem to remember being asked nicely to move on by an airport employee, it seemed a big adventure.

I didnt fly on a plane until I was 15 on a school holiday, it had rear stairs, Bac 1-11 I think, I noticed rust as we entered up the stairs, right old heap, very noisy !

A few years later I got a job with a small freight company called M and W, would be early 1987, based in building 217, largely left to my own devices as it was me and an airport freight bloke called Peter "Biffa" Powell who was out selling, I used to have to take the post to the post office in T1 arrivals each night, a short walk away, used to get some sweets from the shop there as well, was always envious of all the people travelling on planes and would walk back and get the Bus home.

Moved to another freight company, still had to do the post run, but in a borrowed car, much more fun !

Worked on the cargo centre for a while as well, then got out of freight entirely to go to college and learn IT, over the holidays I got offered a job by a bloke in the pub i was workign in with SAS working on the bar in T1 deaprtures, serving food and drinks, cleaning up, skiving, pinching food and getting lashed on Carlsberg Elephant Beer ! excellent fun, the bosses were called Borge Ruby and his sidekick Abbas, when they went it was party time if it was quiet, or bedlam if full of holiday flight, girls grabbing innapropriate parts when collecting empties, a few lads were a bit unpleasant so I chatted to a copper I knew and pointed in their direction but not at them (they didnt know that) and as he had a machine gun the shut right up ! use to do a waiter/tray service, the tips were fantastic, used to get to go airside to change barrells and Post Mix drinks. Remember the influx of Asian People when the PIA was leaving, ancient smoking 747 packed to the gunnels, one person leaving 20 to see them go, many wailing ladies !

Used to have a large, slightly unhinged woman come in and sit for hours, as if having a conversation with someone who wasnt there, is this the Bess that was mentioned, I remember her as being Big Bertha ?

I was in T1 the other day and its barely recognisable, there is a duty free shop where the bar was I worked on, the Ice cream kiosk is long gone as is the bar down to the left, everything is now through passport control, only recognisable bits are the sock shop and that side, WHSmith has moved, used to love killing an hour reading the magazines in there back then.

Funny, now I look on those times fondly and miss them, despite having got my wish and now fly fairly often, its lost its charm though now, the airport that is.

Proplinerman
10th Jun 2010, 21:08
Well this has brought back memories!

I was a spotter at MAN from 1971-6. I remember Peter Hardy/PB Enterprises. I went on one of his trips once, I think to the Midlands, but nearly all my trips were with Eric Rowell/Norwag. Whatever happened to him?

I've got several photos taken there in the 1970s on jetphotos.net (Michael Blank) and can't resist posting this link to a photo I took of a star visitor in 1973, an Alitalia 747!

Flickr Photo Download: Manchester1973Alitalia747 (http://tinyurl.com/2758l2n)

I went out to the airport specially after school to see that-747s were very much still a rarity in 1973, let alone an Alitalia one. Anyone know why it came in?

Did my first flight from MAN in August 1962 on a BEA Vanguard to LHR, but unfortunately, as I was only four at the time, I've no memory of it, tho I do remember later flights to LHR on these aircraft-fabulous.

I lived in Cheadle and used to walk a long way to the far end of Gatley to catch the 44 to the airport.

I fly quite frequently through the airport nowadays: a soulless shopping centre, but efficient and with probably the best spectator facilities in the UK. The AVP doesn't really compare with the terraces, but as most airports nowadays seem to have no provision for spectators, by current standards it's marvellous. And they've now got there, a Concorde, a Trident 3, an RJX, a Monarch DC10 forward fuselage, plus, the latest arrival, a Nimrod.

More memories: a Pomair Ostend DC6B in the north bay one am; an Invicta DC4 coming in in 1971; a CSA Avia 14 coming in the same year-unbelievable to me at the time; sitting in the glasshouse; the Wardair 727; the very noisy and smokey Spantax CV990As; Air Spain DC8s; BOAC 707s and Super(?) VC10s; BEA Viscounts and Vanguards; Alitalia and Air France Caravelles; a Lofleidir CL44 in one of the north bays one morning; the appalling noise of BEA's Super 1-11s-they left behind an awful "crackling" noise when taking off; an Aer Turas DC7C; the first 747 to visit, taking off over my parents' house (it was BOAC, not Pan Am, I'm pretty sure); waiting till after dark one day for a Moormanair DC3 to come in; BIA Heralds; Air Anglia DC3s; a friend throwing one of my shoes onto the apron!-a kind airport worker threw it back; three C119s coming in early one morning-what air force were they and what on earth were they doing coming into M/C?; Dan Air Comets and later 727s; the Dan Air Nord 262; Cambrian Viscounts; Fairey DC3 G-AHCT coming in to the airport to die-it hung around for about two years; SAS DC9s; Sabena Caravelles and 727s; Invicta Vanguards-superb; the BMA Viscount that crashed in 1969 was G-AVJA; Swissair DC9s; Aviogenex Tu134As-I've got a photo of one of those on jetphotos.net; the Kar Air DC6BF, OH-KDA; SAS Caravelles; I'm reading a lot of these from my log book for 1972-the only one I've still got; Alitalia DC9s; BMA Viscounts; G-ARAI and G-ASNC-two eternally present light aircraft; RAF Britannias doing overshoots; an IAF C97 coming in to do two overshoots in 1974; BEA Tridents; KLM DC9s and occasionally DC8s; Tarom Ilyushin 18s; Dan Air 748s; a Donaldson Britannia; Carlos Santana and his band coming in on an Electra-very rare then; etc etc-I've left out what I consider to be the more boring ones, like Laker 1-11s, Aer Lingus 737s and 1-11s, BCAL 1-11s.

The wide body pier was under construction in 1971-I know, because I've got a (rather poor) photo of an Air France Caravelle parked on the west side of the International pier and the pier is under construction in the background, thus bringing an end to runway 28/10. I've still got most of my CAMs from those days and I am so glad now that I took a few photos in between spotting-again, see jetphotos.net.

Happy days.

For more photos by me from the 1970s, taken at MAN, go to Proplinerman on flickr.com, page 4-BEA Viscount and Vanguard, Dan Air Comet, a BMA Viscount in a hybrid livery, an Invicta Vanguard.

RoyHudd
10th Jun 2010, 21:36
XC-DUC Mexican DC6-B?

G-AOBV, G-ATRW, incessant circuits, Sabena DC3 freighters, Morton Air Services Herons, Raffles Raincoats D.H. Dove-G-ARZW,

Diversions, Kingdom of Libya Caravelles, BUA VC10's, etc, etc. Random memories.

Sir George Cayley
10th Jun 2010, 22:21
Just back and yes Helen got it right.

Sir Michael Bishop.

SGC

Cheadleboy
4th Jul 2010, 15:56
Hey Propliner Man, I too went up to the airport that day and shock horror, the miscreant at the right in the picture looks horribly like me!!! What date was this? I was certainly at school and was spotting from c.71 to about 75.

I also remember PB enterprises (Aero). PB Hardy was a very strange chap and had a strange friend called something like Gandy? Is Hardy still alive?
I was a member of the spotters club he ran (and still am in it's modern form as TAS!). I went on lots of trips all over the South of England with the club. In fact my very first flight was on one his trips. We went to Gatwick and there was an announcement that numbers would be drawn out of a hat for a flight from Gatwick to Redhill, Yes I won. We flew to Redhill in a Horizon G-AWAC. Apparently the owner was a friend of his, amazing stuff when I think about it.

I also recall going to the Barton airshow where he had a stand one year. He had an old car (can't remember what it was) and we put a "For Sale" sign on the windscreen, he went mad!

I'll go and dig out my old Cam's to see if I can add to your list of memorable aircraft. But, does anyone remember 3 IL18's lined up on the west apron, Tarom or Balkan, can't remember which!

I haven't collected numbers since the '70's but I'm still really keen on Aviation and I walk around 23L/05R at least 2 or 3 times a week to keep fit. I can get to the threshhold of 05R on foot in 20mins from home!

Is there anyone else out there who was around in the early/mid seventies? There were a number of guys from school (Broadway) who went up to the airport but I lost touch 30+ years ago.

Cheadle Boy

smallonions
4th Jul 2010, 19:28
Proplinerman.

IIRC the Alitalia was bringing footy supporters in for a U****d game.

Could be wrong it was a while back, sorry, couldn't bring my self to type that word.

Proplinerman
5th Jul 2010, 21:07
Cheadle Boy: sorry, I don't have a date, as above, all my log books for those years, bar one, have gone west. I just am pretty sure it was 1973, summer or spring-looking at the weather etc, because the "cop" of the aircraft first appears in my 1973 CAM, which I've still got.

I'm a member of TAS now-I give talks to them from time to time, next one on 2nd August.

Also, I know Broadway School very well, tho I didn't go there myself, but my parents' house in the early 1970s was one of those on Kingsway that back onto the school's playing field and today I live just round the corner and walk past the school nearly every day.

Q-RTF-X
18th Jul 2010, 10:58
Heavens, this thread has certainly brought back some memories. I used to hang around Ringway in the mid 50’s and was a member of the short-lived Ringway Spotters Club. I lived in Hyde in those days, two bus journeys away; the Stockport/Ringway service not being very frequent. The resident R.Aux. Air Force squadron, 613 , was still operating DH Vampires, the airport manager was (if my memory serves me correct) a Mr. Harvey and there was a very “spotter friendly” airport policeman, Sgt. Lewis. The resident operator was Airviews who operated an Auster and Dragon Rapide and later adding a Dove (for their service to the Isle of Wight). My very first flight was in the Airviews Dragon Rapide which I received in exchange for manning the ticket booth. Airworks were refurbishing Sabers’ and occasionally one would see a Fairey Firefly Drone. Scheduled traffic at the airport was scant to say the least and occasional visitors like a Flying Tigers Lockheed Constellation a rare treat. The frequency of my visits declined as I became more involved with being an ATC cadet (1196 Breadbury, Romily and Marple squadron) and I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant in 1958. Since then I have traveled into Ringway in a BEA Viscount and out in a Vanguard and many years later in transit to/from the Isle of Man. Fond Memories.

monarols
4th Aug 2010, 11:16
Hi Cheadle Boy. Yes I was a keen spotter from about 1967 to late 71 when we migrated to Australia. I was also @ Broadway high school and used to ride the bike to the airport on days I was supposed to be at school, LoL my name is Chris Morgan.

Couldn't help myself and had to add a little more to this thread. A couple of "regulars" going over my place, which was right on finals to 24, I always remember were 08:00 ish BOAC VC-10 in the mornings (usually a super) (my alarm clock) which left a unique wailing sound once it had gone overhead, and the daily 18:00 smokey Lufty 727 from Frankfurt which you could see coming miles off!

Although though I couldnt confirm it, but the rumour was that the elderly lady that used to live in the last house in the row that was on on short finals to 24, was deaf and that she used to bring in her washing off the line just prior to the Lufty 727 landing. Bless her.

I also remember the Alitalia, SAS and Air France caravelles at night that had a unique navigation/strobe type lights that seemed to alternate in a different pattern to most other aircraft I had seen.

And turnstiles at the start of the "international" pier, where I didnt always have the money (cant even remember in 1970, how much it was now) to get thru, and was a bit portly to squeeze thru the gaps in a desperate attempt to run the length of the pier to look at some rare departure.

And not to forget the "boring" B-Line 1-11's, Tridents and the Dan-Air Nord 262 (YFR) that flew in and out.

What I would give to see those again, LoL

I still have my last 1971 CAMS book I bought, which I often flick thru. And the day of all days, when the first BOAC 747 landed, and the terraces were jam packed. When it touched down, I remember my reaction. Just gobsmacked by its size......

Great days indeed.

purplehelmet
4th Aug 2010, 19:13
another ex broadway boy here (left 79) who spent far to much time at the airport as a youth. we used to get the 369 bus from and to cheadle hulme 2p back in them days.
great thread this brings back loads of memories, div days were the best,anyone remember the night(late70s) when we got a swissair 747,alia 747,plus loads more?
we used to leave on the 9pm bus just after the sabena 737 and swissair dc9 landed.
can anyone remember the green plastic chairs with little built in black and white coin operated tvs next to the cafe near the domestic pier?

trotter13
24th Aug 2010, 16:21
I lived in Timperley during the war but still managed to cycle to the airport (no security) to see the bombers, many kept in the fields.
In the 50s we had a youth club/boys brigade camp behind the Brick Works
-just where the 2nd runway is now-
Also had a couple of visits to the control tower.

Happy days- Trotter13

Akrotiri bad boy
24th Aug 2010, 20:17
Today I've seen and heard youngsters picking up their exam results from the local school, this is a ritual which I never got the chance to take part in.

My schooldays were spent at Reddish Vale Comp gazing out of the windows at the dizzying procession of exotic aircraft heading for Ringway. When exam time came around I could tell the difference between Viscounts, Heralds, and 748's purely from engine noise and I swear I could taste a CV990A from 1/2 mile distant. As for the exam results........, like I said I didn't pick any up!

In a nutshell then, Manchester Airport has made me what I am today:8

pasir
26th Aug 2010, 07:39
... I dont know if this has already been mentioned but I beleive Manchester
Ringway can claim to be where where Britains very first paratroop Regiment was formed and trained in June 1940 - as No1 Parachute Training
School - A/c in use were Whitleys.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Aug 2010, 13:00
Indeed; formed at Ringway on 21 June 1940 as the Central Landing School and from 1 October 1940 was designated as the Parachute Training Squadron. The satellite station was Tatton Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/No._1_PTS_Memorial_Tatton_Park_2005.jpg

The Memorial.

JG54
26th Aug 2010, 13:42
Cheadle Boy:

Would the Gandy in question be Wal Gandy? Eccentric though good bloke with, as I recall, a penchant for cold rice pudding! He used to do a lot of freelance stuff for Ian Allen including designing the tables for newly issued reg's in '80's CAMs IIRC

Met him many times in the early '80's as a spotty kid on CAS trips. Speaking of which, anyone remember Phil Kinder - is he still about??

Regards,
Frank

purplehelmet
16th Oct 2010, 00:39
Does anyone remember the aviation shop on wilmslow road,heald green, 1990's near tubs+loo's,a guy called chris williams,aka(animal)in his punk rock day's,used to work there?,.

superspotter
16th Oct 2010, 09:13
The shop was Flightdeck. Now only an online business but you will find it via google.

just.cause
28th Oct 2010, 18:35
Does anyone remember GMAG? The Greater Manchester Aviation Group was run by Graham Froggatt and Phil Lines and ran coach trips to various airfields and shows. I designed the logo that appeared on the magazine cover and sweat shirts. Graham died many years ago, but I've seen Phil at the airport a couple of times. He's now with security at T2.

I remember Geoff Ball. I think he knocked about with Paul 'Guy' West and some other 'serious' spotters. One was a bank manager who lived in Cheadle, but his name escapes me. They used Hilki 'poles' (Hilkinson Pancratic telescopes). We all used to meet in the back room of the APH on a sunday night.

John Theobold was the man on the motorbike. I went on some coach trips with him. I would cycle from Ardwick to Lance Shippey's house on Kingsway to be one of the first on the coach.

Happy days.

Remember Wal Gandy also.

jonquigley
29th Oct 2010, 23:52
I remember those seats with the black n white TVs in the arm! The height of technology at the time, even if the reception was cr*p.

Ringway has always had a special place in my heart too. All the strands that run throughout this thread...the rubber floor tiles, chandeliers, Alcock & Brown bronze, clickety-clack departure board, that "special" feeling of impending adventure that built as you approached the place...actually wearing your Sunday best to travel rather than a shell suit as the great unwashed do today.

Flew out of Ringway from late 60's as a youngster. Always to Ireland to spend summer hols with Grandparents and always with Aer Lingus or BEA. Adored the Viscount & the sound of those props! As time went on the 1-11 took over, but always wanted to go on a Caravelle but they didn't do Manc-Dub or Belfast.

Unaccompanied minor several times & was tended hand & foot by beautiful stewardesses, although I have never found them so keen to tend to my every need now that I am old enough to appreciate it!

I was once due to fly to Dublin, can only have been 1967-1969, but on arrival at Manc the runway was closed due to an a/c suffering collapsed undercarriage. Had to be coached to Speke where KLM DC9 took us to Dublin. Any of you remember this incident or was I hallucinating?

Having been trying to build Airfix planes since before I had stopped dribbling, aviation was in my blood but unattainable. My parents bought me a flying lesson as a birthday pressie about 1991 with MFS on the old Southside prior to the 2nd runway being built. Following a landing Aer Lingus 737 in that old Tomahawk was captivating! I late managed to afford infrequent PPL lessons & now fly out of Barton having realised my dream.

Now sadly, corporate capitalism has taken hold of this once great place, and whilst I am still inexorably drawn to my local airport, I regard the whole operation with utter cynicism...apart from airside that is, where the real magic still happens.

Ringway71
3rd Dec 2011, 09:05
Well, reading about and posting about years 1969 to 1974 on here has made me realise that we all probably know each other! We were probably all there on Saturdays. I remember lots of spotters that I didn't know....but I knew exactly which bench they would be on the terraces!
I was on the end of "The International Pier" (Some youngsters on here callin it Pier B) when Ringway got it's first 747 Visit. In fact, I was half-way up the lighting tower at the end of the pier. Any pictures of the crowd that day will probably have me up the light!
And yes, I miss those Rubber tiles which if you dragged your toe along, made an excellent raspberry fart!
I miss the Brown vinyl chairs, the Chandeliers of course, and the fins with Airlines on.

WHBM
3rd Dec 2011, 12:16
Went in August 1971 on a Wardair 707 charter from Manchester to Vancouver, I guess they were not too common then. Sat in the landside buffet which faced over the field, awaiting departure, the aircraft arrived inbound, probably positioning from Gatwick, and a whole group of enthusiasts who of course had taken pole position at the window seats nearly knocked over all the coffee cups as they saw it and ran out.

Wasn't any of you lot, by chance ....... ?

MARK9263
3rd Dec 2011, 12:56
If you want sheer nostalgia and indulgence, have a look here..

HOME - Ringway Publications The Manchester Airport Archive web-site (http://ringwaypublications.com)

They also have an excellent book on the seventies, I know because I have a copy....

SHOP - Ringway Publications The Manchester Airport Archive web-site (http://ringwaypublications.com/shop/)

magpienja
4th Dec 2011, 20:22
Interesting stuff...me and my mate used to make the trip from Liverpool...I have dates in my old civil makings yes I still have them...dating to 1968 at Ringway,

It was quite an journey for us young lads from Liverpool....bus to Lime St Station Liverpool up to mch Picadilly I think it was....then a long walk to get a bus to Ringway We where about 14 at the time,

VHF manual tuning air-band radios where just becoming easily available...I had a big VHF Skymaster with its big square battery...gee I had many many hours of enjoyment from that radio and got many cops on F/O with it...remember aircraft used the reg as the call-sign then...todays scanner owners dont know how lucky they are,

My mate had a smaller radio I think it was a Sherock or something like that...I also remember we had to take our radios into the telecom office to have them checked to make sure the caused no interference and then getting a stcker clering them....there being a sign warning of this on the main building,

I also remember the ATC comms being put out over the P/A sys all the way down the piers,

Fantastic days...with so many interesting a/c that we never go to see at out local Speke...Liverpool Airport....

We used to have probs getting the reg numbers off the light a/c parked on the south side on hot summer days due heat shimmer distorting the view with our telescopes.

Nick.

MARK9263
8th Dec 2011, 07:51
Uploaded on the RINGWAY THROUGH THE DECADES website today are MAN Movements for 1960 and and 2000.....!!!!!!!!!!! (Compare and contrast!)

HOME - Ringway Publications The Manchester Airport Archive web-site (http://ringwaypublications.com/)

Swing78
14th Dec 2011, 07:50
Uploaded onto the website this morning will be the following:

1969 - Movements
Schedule Services
Diversions

1973 - Movements
Schedule Services
Diversions

Dont forget! SEVENTIES RINGWAY, an ideal Xmas present !!

Visit the Manchester Airport historical website
HOME - Ringway Publications The Manchester Airport Archive web-site (http://ringwaypublications.com/)

MARK9263
14th Dec 2011, 07:51
Good morning,

Uploaded onto the website this morning will be the following:

1969 - Movements
Schedule Services
Diversions

1973 - Movements
Schedule Services
Diversions

Dont forget! SEVENTIES RINGWAY, an ideal Xmas present !!

Visit the Manchester Airport historical website

pgll
14th Jan 2013, 08:20
I have just seen by chance the posting headed "That Alitalia 747" dated 4th July 2010.
The "very strange chap" mentioned in the posting is now retired, no longer actively involved with aviation, and studying butterflies in his spare time. In 1998 he published a book on butterflies around Manchester.
The "strange friend", Henry Wallace Gandy, still lives in Newton-le-Willows, ans specialises in finding the likes of one-minute discrepancies in railway timetables, and grammatical errors on signs in supermarkets.

The excursion to Gatwick and Redhill was on the 31st of March 1973. The Horizon G-AWAC was piloted by Clive Compston Russell Vick, a solicitor and member of the Air Touring Club. He died in 1991 and efforts by an aviation historian David P. McCartney to trace what became of his Klemm monoplane G-AAXK have been fruitless.
The following persons had flights in G-AWAC that day: Andrew Warburton, Ross Williamson, T. Simon Morris, Bernard Heavey, Simon Burgess, Jeremy Norris, Neil R. Young, D.P McCartney, Glenn R. Wheeler, David Wilson, Neil J. Appleton and P.B.H.

The "old car", which appeared at several Barton air shows, was a "Series MO" Morris Oxford, NVM423. For a while in the 1980s Hardy owned three of this model, two saloons and a Traveller, and was for a while the spares secretary of the "6/80 & MO Club", but sold the cars in 1987 and 1988, and now does not drive.

In a message lower down the thread, "Frank", or "JG54", mentions Phillip M. Kinder of "CAS". He also now does butterfly recording, and is the treasurer of the Cheshire and Peak District branch of the Butterfly Conservation society.

ballyctid
14th Jan 2013, 19:47
I have just found this thread, only 4 years late!

I am amazed to see that I get a mention on page 6, I am one of the Ball brothers, Steve.

I see at one point someone had my Brother as deceased in 74 then it was corrected, I think it was Brian "gammy" Lewis who died then, I remember being really upset when I found out as I used to get on really well with him.

Some of the other names mentioned bring back great memories, Lance Shippey, he used to organise the coach trips, Martin Driver, yes he was very odd, was with him when he had an RTA near Ashbourne heading on a spotting trip to EMA!

Phil Lines, I went on many car trips with him, Mike Williams and the driver who's name escapes me, he used to hire a car and we would go off for the weekend, all over the country.

I also remember the deaf Huddersfield lad, again the name escapes me.

It was a great trip down memory lane reading this thread!

pgll
15th Jan 2013, 09:48
I have just seen a message asking whether anyone remembers P.B. Enterprises and the photographs which that organisation produced. I for one remember them very well. Sadly all the negatives were destroyed in 2000 when the photographer moved to the Philippines. He returned two years later and regretted what he had done.

postapart
31st Jan 2013, 12:23
Hi I am trying to find aerial photographs that were taken by Bruce Martin, have you any ideas on who would have them

ETOPS
31st Jan 2013, 19:39
Bruce Martin's company was called Airviews and I'm led to believe the archieve was bought by Aerofilms.

it's all now part of English heritage at this address......

Archive Services, English Heritage, The Engine House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon SN2 2EH. [email protected]

postapart
31st Jan 2013, 20:57
Thanks for that

tiger449
23rd Apr 2013, 15:54
Likewise, my first flight was at the age of 11 in 1956. I had saved up 5s.0d., for a pleasure flight in G-AOBV flown by Bruce Martin. He didn't have anyone to sell tickets from the kiosk so as I was looking nicely turned out in my Sale Grammar School uniform he asked if I would do him the honours and the flight would be free. I was the only passenger on the last flight of the day and he let me take control over Styal Forest then fly as P1(U/S) on our rejoin. I was so impressed that I did the ticket sales every weekend for several years and completed the full 40 hours dual in 80 weeks. I joined the Air Training Corps (318 Sale & Altrincham) at the age of 13 quickly becoming a cadet instructor and representing the ATC at the Teens and Twenties Exhibition at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester. Went on to join the RAF at the age of 19 and took my GFT (General Flying Test) in a Chipmunk with the Kinloss Air Experience Flight and half an hour of free flying every day. Went on from RAF to Royal Saudi Air Force at Dhahran after 12 months in civvy street. Lightnings at 1000 kts, quite different from Shackletons at 150 kts. Now 68 and still involved in aviation, currently building an Ultralight SSDM, weighing in at under 115 kg.,empty. and 2.5 litres/hour with a Honda 50 engine and a 2:1 reduction gearbox. I'm in touch with another contributor to this thread (Ringway Publications) who have excellent web pages on Ringway Airport.

Also helped out Harry Paterson and Bruce Martin gave me a full time job in the Airviews Photo Lab along with jollies in the Rapide and a hose-down and polish of the Rapide for Aerial Photography assignments. I'm glad to see G-AOJH (Harry Paterson's Fox Moth) is still in flying condition. It has obviously been well cared for. I flew regularly in G-AOBV, G-AGXN, G-AGYP, all owned by Basil de Ferranti and loaned on a freewill basis to members of Ringway Aero Club. It is nice to hear from others who were involved with Ringway in the 60s. I'll try to keep in touch with other contributors to this forum.

pgll
8th Dec 2013, 21:12
I am doing some research on Ringway in the 1950s and so the contribution dated 23rd April 2013 was of interest.

I wonder, is there any more information anywhere about the Ringway Aero Club and who were in it? I believe the club was founded by one Leslie Jones on 30th June 1953 - did he actually own an aeroplane? G-AOBV and G-AGYP wrere not acquireed by Basil Ferranti until 1955 and G-AGXN was never owned by him, as far as I can tell from "G-INFO".

pgll
9th Dec 2013, 05:42
I realise that I am submitting a reply more than six years since the contribution was sent but I would ilke to contact the author if he is still available. You quoted in that post a few lines of verse beginning "My brother he flies an Electra".
You quoted initials for the author of those lines but they do not fit. The poem was actually written by Paul Ambrose Croghan, a Manchester poet whom I used to know from 1962 until 1980, and who died in January 2003. Sometimes he used the speudonym of "Paul Connor". I have been trying to compile a collection of as much of his poetry as has survived - please see my website www.pb-enterprises.yolasite.com (http://www.pb-enterprises.yolasite.com) - but a vast amount has been lost.
If you have the full text of the poem from which you quote, or know the whereabouts of any more of Croghan's poems, I would be very interested to hear from you.

Fly.Buy
26th Dec 2013, 20:30
This thread brought back many memories, out of all the airports in the world the old Ringway seems to be part of so many peoples lives with a huge following, a sort of institution.

I don't know what it was with Manchester but everyone seemed to have an interest in aviation, my first memory was as a 5 year old standing in the middle of our avenue in Wythenshawe with all the other residents watching the first 747 arrive on finals some 2 miles from the airport. Other normalities at the time were family day trips to the airport the science of flying still being a novelty especially if you were from a council estate. Imagine suggesting this to the wife now for a family day out!

My plane sporting days were the mid to late 1970's. What I remember paraphrasing the good memories are as follows:

Walking to the airport on a Saturday morning with my wagon wheels to get the KLM Dc8F departure. If I got there earlier enough I would also see the Kar AIr DC6F depart

The winding sound of the dart engines from the HS748 and Viscounts, very distinctive and still haunts me today. You could hear them miles before arriving at the airport.

I was fortunate or posh enough to have an annual pass for the airport pier viewing terraces, limited to about 200 people a year and signed off my the airport director.

The row of portable plastic TV's moulded into the seats with crap reception in the domestic lounge.

The bar and the island information office with their issues of the world airlines ABC timetable guides? (Have I got the title right.)

The airline offices at the back of the terminal where the checkin offices were. The sponging of timetables, stickers, baggage tags from these offices.

Collecting airline postcards, writing to head offices for PR cards and swapping with fellow enthusiast on the terraces.

Binoculars 8x40 10x50 or if you were really lucky 12x50. The large square radios, approach 118.7

Aircraft Flying overheads from the airport multi-storey car park, were they called spicks or specks? If you had the more powerful binoculars you could possibly make out the reg.

I was a member of a spotters club called Starliner, anyone remember this? I remember Malcolm Gresty a hairy bloke who had a scope instead of binoculars. I went on some of their trips to. Greenham Common, Luton and Gatwick, Heathrow, all overnighters on a coach and very exciting for a young boy on his own.

The Guppy's you could hear them approach from miles way, not sure what type of engines they were fitted with.

I loved the Tupolev 134's with the glass noses and swept back wings. Aviogenex seemed to be in abundance.

Any one remember the Sabena 737-200 that landed at Woodford instead of Ringway? Or the Lufthansa 737-200 with patched up bullet holes still visible from a high jacking whereby the pilot was killed (not at Manchester) or the singer John Denver arriving on his private Lockheed Electra.

Anyhow the list of memories are endless, great days, being at the airport kept me out of trouble a blessing for a young lad out of Wythenshawe!

I have long since moved away, but like many others when I return my head rotates up to the Manchester skies and sad to say the variety is no longer there any more. I even ventured for a nostalgic visit to the modern airport recently and didn't even recognise it.

Great thread, thanks.

MARK9263
27th Dec 2013, 08:53
Welcome.

Maybe you might want to take a look at this website that covers everything historical about Manchester-Ringway, even Books and CDs.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Dec 2013, 10:37
I remember most of what Fly By mentions, though by those years I was working so most of my Ringway memories are earlier. I used to cycle to school from Sale to Hale Barns and the aircraft in those days were so noisy one could hear them on the ground and taking off for about the last 3 miles of the journey!

I can just about remember the pre-1962 terminal, before the 'new' airport was built, the old buildings with Dakotas and Viscounts taxying, the whistle of the Darts being something I'd never heard before.

I remember a Saturday afternoon visit to the Tower with the Scouts when they still had the PAR equipment in there. I think there just one inbound all the time we were there - a Vanguard from Paris! How times have changed!

I was never a 'spotter', more an aircraft enthusiast. I used to cycle to the Wilmslow Road end of the runway, where the road was on an old taxyway before crossing the 06 threshold through gates which were closed for 06 arrivals. I remember seeing an Air France Caravelle embedded in the mud here after going off the end of 24! I saw my first ever VC10 here - an East African one on fog diversion from London landing on 06. The noise of the Speys in the Tridents, the VC10 Conways, and the Caravelle Avons was quite deafening and would rattle the windows in Wilmslow and Hale Barns! How different this part of the world is now, with its dual carriageway and twin tunnels under the much longer runways (two today, of course). Back then the Wilmslow - Altrincham road was quiet and quite narrow (you can still see sections of it near the Holiday Inn at Oversley Ford, and by the Romper pub). It winded past the end of 06, past the old brickworks (the only sign of industry in this then sleepy Cheshire landscape) then dived down the hill to Oversley Ford and the Valley Lodge pub (which later burned down). Who can forget Thursday's 'Grab a Granny' night at the Valley Lodge!

Piston freighters were common in the late '60s, but I have many memories of the early 70s as well. The lunchtime BOAC VC10 departure was always worth watching. The 'Balkan Frighteners' as we knew them were pretty impressive, as were the Spantax Coronados. And then there were those weird Carvairs! On a sad note I remember seeing the crash site of the British Midland Argonaught in the centre of Stockport, and the tarpaulin-covered inverted BM Viscount near the south side (it rolled into the ground during a training take off on 06, killing some crew members).

By the late 70s I was a PPL flying mostly from Barton but also from the South Side at EGCC. APP was 119.4 for decades, and TWR was 118.7. Not much security those days - you could drive into the South Side off the Styal Road, tell the chap on the gate you were going to the hangars, and if you'd wanted to there was nothing to stop you driving out onto the airfield! I watched several Concorde arrivals and T/Os from the South Side!

Flying in and out of EGCC as GA was hassle-free back then, as was getting a SVFR clearance through the zone direct Barton to Buxton, or routing direct from Crewe via the overhead to Barton. Not much chance of that today!

I last flew into EGCC in the Chipmunk some years ago to attend an event at the Viewing Park. We were parked up by the Park and it was interesting to find myself taxying along the very road I used to cycle along - the old Altrincham - Wilmslow road now within the airfield boundary and used as a GA taxyway, the central white line still just faintly visible!

There was so much variety in traffic back then. Piston airliners, turboprops, many varied jets, as well as GA. Visit the Viewing Park today and it's an endless procession of almost indistinguishable types! Doesn't seem to deter the spotters, though!

magpienja
27th Dec 2013, 15:19
I lived in Liverpool and as a kid I remember getting the train from Lime St stn to Piccadilly I think it was....then a very long around the houses bus ride to Ringway...must have been around 1966,

So exciting for 2 boys of 11...would any parents allow it today???

So very interesting a.c to be seen that we just didn't see at our local Speke as it was then...now John Lennon airport,

I had just got a hugeVHF Skymaster airband from Volstatic for my birthday...not many about then...had to take it to the tels room to be passed fit for use on the airport c/w a sticker for it...had to carry it on my back in a rucksack it was so big...every so often the fed ATC through the PA,

I to remember the screaming Darts as well in the BEA Viscounts andArgosys, also in the Heralds the Frendships the 748s ect...the Pan Am BOAC TWA and World Airways 707s...and the VC-10s Mmmmm

Does anybody remember Huey Greens 337,

Yes the Spantax Coranardos and DC-7s,

They where the days......

gazza007
27th Dec 2013, 17:41
Great posts. I was one of those boys in my fawn Parker with the 10x50 bins and big radio in the 70's. I grew up In Heald Green and I guess that is where my interest grew and was very lucky to gain PPL in a PA38 from the Old South side.
I remember the old check in area near what is ground level. Up the escalators to departure hall. Past the chandeliers to the spectators entrance to the piers by the Lancaster restaurant. Those cooling towers used to fascinate me.
Those were the glory days of aviation where you would wave people off to their hols on the Dan air comets and Early jets. The smell noise and exhaust heat was something else. Diversion days were great especially at weekends. I can remember some interesting craft. SAA 747 SP various L1011 etc. people forget MAN used to operate many heavies. CPAIR Wardair Laker to name few.
I remember my first flight in Britannia 737-200 adv think it was AVRM? To PMI & visiting cockpit. Here Iam over 40 years later in Mexico having just had my first flight on Thomson 788. That thrill still remains. I was very fortunate to have attended the Concorde Gala dinner in November. Great evening but was nice to see the old photo display. Well done TAS.
I get sick to death of the press coverage on the London Runway situation.
I honestly Believe that MAN can go from strength to strength the road & rail/tram infrastructure is really starting to take shape and with Airport city to come this is a great time for all who live and work at this great City and Airport.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Dec 2013, 17:58
Ah yes! the '10 years of Concorde at Manchester' do back in November under G-BOAC in her purpose-built hangar. That was a superb evening!

gazza007
27th Dec 2013, 18:19
It was a great night. Proper posh do. Mike Bannister was great.
Just having a spot of rain here in Maroma beach, think it's stopped. Not sure how I can upload photos from my IPad from the night. I find it interesting that all the guys went to Broadway and everybody rode bikes then. In fact we used to bunk off and always went to the airport usually Monday afternoons in 5th year.
I was fortunate to work at Woodford for 12 months which was fab with some old School pals. One of them Neil Richards? Was into aviation too remember going onto 13th floor to watch Space Shuttle fly by in July 83?
Anyway time to head back to beach and order another G & T :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Dec 2013, 19:30
I was working in Heaton Mersey in '83. We all went out of the office and up onto the hill at the edge of Heaton Mersey park, overlooking Vale Road, to watch the 747 with the Space Shuttle on top fly down the 24 approach.

Here's the Concorde 10th anniversary do. I'm on there somewhere!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/152r_zpsfc77afa1.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/GZK6NK/media/152r_zpsfc77afa1.jpg.html)

gazza007
27th Dec 2013, 22:58
I'm there but from the back.

Sir George Cayley
28th Dec 2013, 10:53
Got you! Left of screen, bow tie and blue hanky in top pocket. Do I get £5?

ps Hughie Green's Skymaster was a fixed gear 336 G-ASKS I think.

Happy Days

SGC

magpienja
28th Dec 2013, 11:03
I had it in my head it was G-ASLL....happy days indeed.

Proplinerman
28th Dec 2013, 15:04
"I was one of those boys in my fawn Parker with the 10x50 bins and big radio in the 70's." Like the guy on the right in this photo of mine from 1974 (taken at EMA rather than M/C, but a good illustration of mid-1970's teenaged boys fashionable attire back then): Piper Apache G-ASDI, Castle Donington, 16-3-74e | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48975048@N06/8756013403/in/photolist-ekJRJk-8qpgNM-fPWrht-fPWqy6-fQdYMW-9GDMD8)

Airband radios: my first was a "Flight Four," I think. Made in Hong Kong (as most radios in those days were) and pretty good. But when I got older (bit more pocket money from my not ungenerous parents), I got really ambitious and bought myself a HUGE Hira airband radio, costing a lot of money in those days.

Whereas I had been able to fit the Flight Four in a shoulder bag, I had to buy a special holdall for the Hira. I think I only finally threw both out as recently as 2000, when I moved house and had a major chucking out session-both had long since ceased working.

On bad weather days, I would sit in "The Glasshouse" on top of the then main terminal building. And this am, in one of those strange quirks of memory, someone mentioned a guy with the surname Fox, who I used to know (not a spotter and not from the 1970's); and it reminded me of how, whenever his name was/is mentioned, I used to/still do refer to him as "Foxie 55."

That moniker came from a day spotting at Ringway in the 1970's, when I picked up on my Hira radio, a US military "flyover," using the call sign "Foxtrot 55." In a subsequent communication, he shortened that to "Foxie 55" and that moniker came back to me when I met this guy named Fox twenty-five years later!

And here are links to a few other of my a/c photos from the 1970's, where-accidentally-other spotters are in view:

Biggin Hill 18-5-74 IAS Britannia G-AOVS | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48975048@N06/8544013544/in/photolist-e21iym-9gaV1n-fJCSMN-8YSPHB-8WxKhD-ebHFaV-ebPjVL-ecgTdm-9CNa2L-fJmkcZ-fJCTy7-fJCSsA)

Manchester1973Alitalia747 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48975048@N06/4489155704/in/photolist-7QG6Ah-a9jd8N-8ZcxLw-a9jdN3-a9gpC2-9vf6uS-cAshiL-cAsihY-fQcEyN-c8ZdTA-cztxtJ-cztDey-a9gotR-9CKe1i)

ScanImage 6v2-G-APPX as improved by PeterEdin | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48975048@N06/5710886661/in/photolist-9GDMD8-fQdYMW)

Anybody recognise themselves?

Finally, given the total rip-off parking prices at the airport's (otherwise excellent, but a £3 for one hour, £6 for two hours; and £12 for any period of three hours or longer charge really does ruin it), I actually spent some time finding out yesterday how to get there by train and bus-and it's quite do-able. Either that or take a car-load of people.

Back in the 70's, I used to catch the 44 bus to the airport from Gatley, after quite a long walk from my parents' house in Cheadle.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th Dec 2013, 15:18
Yes, the 200 bus runs hourly Wilmslow - Styal Mill - Airport bus station - Runway Visitor Park (RVP) and return. In addition, the 88 bus runs hourly in each direction Altrincham - Wilmslow - Knutsford and return (no service on Sundays), stopping at Sunbank Lane on Altrincham Road near the Romper pub, a short walk from the RVP.

If you walk or cycle in, it's free entry!

Airclues
28th Dec 2013, 16:23
Book yourself on one of the Concorde Tours and you get free parking.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th Dec 2013, 17:11
Book yourself on one of the Concorde Tours and you get free parking.

Yup, all Concorde and Nimrod tours except the 'short tours' (20 minute £5 non-cockpit non-bookable look-see for the kids) include parking all day.

ZOOKER
28th Dec 2013, 21:09
Proplinerman,
Looking at your mid 1970s photographs of EGNX…..The left Viscount 700 was definitely G-APPX.
Not sure of the Channel Airways identity, but I'll keep trying.
I think the right-hand airframe is possibly PK-RVN of Mandala Airlines., it is certainly their colour-scheme.
The Channel Airways Viscount is almost certainly G-ATUE.

Preon
28th Dec 2013, 23:36
Some great memories, I flew as an Air Steward with BOAC in the early 70's on VC-10 and 707's including the cargo variant.
Manchester to New York was operated with both types often via Prestwick although I remember operating nonstop on Standard VC-10's
If the aircraft was required back in London it was flown back with just the cabin crew and the short take-off was something to remember!
Perhaps someone can suggest what types of aircraft were stored by the hangars adjacent to the Altrincham to Wilmslow Road circa 1955 -ish when my Grand Father would walk me from Hale, I think there was also a derelict aircraft closer to the airfield. Lancaster?

Airclues
31st Dec 2013, 15:43
In the early 60's I spent many happy weekends standing on the footpath that led from the original Airport Hotel and passed within a few yards of the threshold of runway 24. We would then cycle to watch the construction of the new terminal,
The passenger building was an old black hangar situated where T3 is now. Between this hangar and the 'new' terminal was a car park where you could get to within a few yards of the aircraft. It was possible to walk around the construction site at weekends and get very close to the aircraft. Sometimes the pilots would invite us to look round their aircraft.
The ATCO's were also very friendly with the small group of regular spotters, and often would invite us up into the tower (see photo). Nowadays it is hard to believe that there was absolutely no security.
When the new terminal was completed, the two piers were a fantastic place to watch the aircraft. It cost sixpence to go onto the roof and piers. In the winter one could stand by the big window at the front of the terminal. Spotters were welcome in the terminal then.
In 1969 I was proud to land a VC10 on runway 24 at Manchester. That was the start of over 30 years of operating VC10s, 747s and 744s into Manchester. I still love to go to the viewing park when in the area, although the terminal building is now a no-go area unless you have a boarding pass.
Happy Days!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/Airclues/P1010209_zpsd7f65671.jpg

The big windows at the front of the terminal can be seen here. Spotters welcome in those days.

MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery (http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01313666&size=large)

Krystal n chips
31st Dec 2013, 17:20
" Back then the Wilmslow - Altrincham road was quiet and quite narrow (you can still see sections of it near the Holiday Inn at Oversley Ford, and by the Romper pub).

I would politely dispute the above, in part. The road was never quiet, it was a very busy road and, for a kid on cycle ( me and others ) decidedly dangerous. Hence I preferred to use the path / field adjacent to the Airport Hotel.

However, the new Terminal did offer a vast improvement, and, for some of us, a free pass as it were. In those days, one was a bit slimmer and thus, with a bit of adroit squeezing, could gain entry at the steps ( assuming nobody was in the ticket booth ) and then on to the International Pier as it was then called, by virtue of the gap in the middle of the turnstiles being larger than the rest.

Airclues
2nd Jan 2014, 13:35
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/Airclues/P1010170_zps6127a8a3.jpg

From a document by the City of Manchester Airport Committee published in 1961 showing the construction of the 'new' terminal.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Jan 2014, 13:40
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps6127a8a3.jpg

Ah yes! Who remembers the old Swordfish (I think - there wasn't much left of it) on the dispersals to the right of that picture, past the radar head, by the road than followed the southern boundary? We used to play on that as kids!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
15th Jan 2014, 13:58
This is not an advert but I've recently joined this Facebook Group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/461165080672217/ . I wouldn't see it as a rival to this fine PPRuNe Thread but it is likely to come up with some interesting photographs and, perhaps, stories.

Needless to say, the great advantage of PRRuNe is that it benefits from the input of professional aviators and Techies.

wakey1512
7th May 2014, 20:10
Here's a bit of then and now...

Perhaps more relevant to the first posts in this topic, having seen a few 70s pictures of the terminal expansion I stumbled across this...

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k435/wakey151291/Untitled_zpsee0f608b.png

This appears to be taken from level 1 of the 70s terminal 1 multi storey car park. As you can see there is some sort of taxi bay and it runs quite a distance through the car park, you can count well over 10 support columns

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k435/wakey151291/28082011389_zps6eb57528.jpg

However in this more recent picture, the same level 1 doesnt go back half as much? There is a wall after the 5th column? its the same car park and the same level though.. has this wall been put in after? And if so, what is behind it now?

Another odd feature are these braces
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k435/wakey151291/28082011398_zps353dafb5.jpg

Anyone with good memories of this place might be able to recall how this structure was originally?

South Side
11th May 2014, 18:57
Must have had your dinner very early in those days!If my memory serves me well the crash was about 0900 or there abouts.

ZeBedie
11th May 2014, 19:49
Those taxi's were at ground level. The area is now the staff shop and an indoor walkway providing access towards T3 and the lifts to the multistory carpark.

The more distant part of the taxi rank is separated from the new indoor area and remains as a small, mostly airport management, staff carpark. The entrance/exit is the same as when it was the taxi rank.

Alsacienne
11th May 2014, 21:01
This thread has revived a lot of very happy memories of my youth! The photos, particularly that of the concourse, and the lists of companies operating in the 60s and 70s and the airliners they used brought me back to a comfy feeling of 'modernity and progress' that has been fast-forwarded often beyond my financial means!

My earliest memory of Ringway was watching the planes through a diamond-shaped wire mesh fence with my father. I suspect this would be around 1960 or so, before the new terminal was built, and remember asking a uniformed gentleman with stripes and 'scrambled egg' on his hat if he was the 'pirate'; I don't think he appreciated that at this stage in my development I had not grasped the difference between 'pirate' and 'pilot', and he didn't deign to reply. I remember going for an orange squash in Forte's restaurant ... if I remember correctly there were maroon and cream banquette seats, something totally different to what we sat on at home.

I was fortunate to fly to Paris on an Air France Caravelle (tins of drinking water and little salt and pepper shakers on the meal tray), to Guernsey via LHR on a BEA Vanguard and Viscount, and to return to the airport around 1970 with a family member making her second flight after her first one 50 years previously! She had a wonderful time.

My school days were made far more enjoyable by being on the direct approach, watching from my dormitory window and from the prep room window and dreaming where each plane had come from rather than concentrating on the exercises set for homework. Many a time the roar from from a climbing BAC1-11 drowned out my teachers' voices and led my to dream about what would be happening aboard rather than face dull reality.

I used to walk from Cheadle Hulme to Ringway at weekends just to enjoy time in the concourse ... oh the smell of the rubber flooring and the sheer exoticism of the airline liveries and details of the departures and arrivals boards. I remember the chandeliers so well, and the travellators in the car park! One of my friends dad had a dairy farm just opposite the airport that supplied the airport with some of its milk.

All that has now gone. On the rare occasion I travel through Manchester I try to superimpose my memories on the actual facilities. No joy. The past has gone, and, I suspect, much of the romance of foreign air travel. Thank goodness that we have our memories, and a big thank you to all those who have contributed before me to this thread in helping me to relive them.

wakey1512
12th Dec 2014, 13:12
Those taxi's were at ground level. The area is now the staff shop and an indoor walkway providing access towards T3 and the lifts to the multistory carpark.

So my question to you would be - how did the taxi's get in and out? The entrance / exit would be for cars only - as it is today?? What about the underground entrance/exit around the front of the car park? (if you're standing in the skywalk facing the terminal, look down to your left)

Also, in the top picture, you can see the taxi is about to set off the direction he is pointing. If you look at the tyre marks on the floor you can see where the flow of traffic is. Assuming this is an up ramp to level 2, this would be impossible due to that area being the terminal 1 arrivals lounge? If you stand in the current t1 arrivals lounge, there are no ramps, no supports, no pillars, nothing! No trace of anything?

Also, the old style travellators that went from levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc were presumably in place of the current lift shafts. I can't understand how level 7 would work, because at the time of the travellators, there was no skywalk system running through the middle of the car park finishing on level 7. If you stepped off the travellator on level 7 there would be no car park floor, nothing to step on, just thin air!

spargazer
8th Feb 2016, 20:30
The last of the Ribbed rubber floor tiles were ripped out last summer from T1 arrivals airside. The wavy concrete awning is indeed, buried in the baggage hall. There is still a tiny bit of the original flooring in the multi storey car park lift lobbys.
the top surface of the spotter piers were asbestos cement tiles! Honest

spargazer
8th Feb 2016, 20:38
Yes, the 200 bus runs hourly Wilmslow - Styal Mill - Airport bus station - Runway Visitor Park (RVP) and return. In addition, the 88 bus runs hourly in each direction Altrincham - Wilmslow - Knutsford and return (no service on Sundays), stopping at Sunbank Lane on Altrincham Road near the Romper pub, a short walk from the RVP.

If you walk or cycle in, it's free entry! Also the half hourly now 88

onceaspotter
20th Aug 2016, 19:02
Having seen this thread I just had to sign up and add my memories of the Greater Manchester Aviation Group - GMAG.
I was a spotter at MAN from 1973 to 1980 before moving on to a career in ATC and was a regular on the GMAG coach trips during the seventies; happy days!
Memories come flooding back about the trips ; I remember Graham Froggatt as a Real Gent and Phil Lines as a Rough Diamond!
Who will ever forget the experience of trips on Vales Coaches ; either boiling hot in summer or freezing cold in winter!
When you weren't getting slowly poisoned by exhaust fumes coming up from the underfloor panels you might find yourself rolling backwards down the sliproad of the motorway trying to jump start the coach back to life!
My favourite pasttime when returning home was sitting at the back watching your fellow spotters falling asleep and sliding sideways into the aisle then waking up and doing it all again a few minutes later!
Even better was 2 people sliding sideways in opposite rows and banging heads together!!
There was nothing better than a trip on "One Of Vales"!!

Who else remembers ;
Piling out of the coach at Luton at 4am to check out the biz jets?
In all my trips with GMAG I only ever saw Luton once in the daylight coming back from a trip to Brussels!
Visiting Reymerston Hall in Norfolk, home of Wing Commander Wallace who put on an impromptu demo of the Wallis Gyrocopter from his front lawn and getting a round of applause from 50 spotters after landing
We did several trips to Lasham and I am sure that on one trip a logbook was "liberated" from a Dan Air Comet after a walk inside the plane - we were left to wander around the field on our own unsupervised - 9/11 and the security clampdown was still so far away.
The excitement at approaching Mildenhall ( a great airshow ) and seeing a triple tail which meant my first EC121 Connie was in the bag!

I think back to my spotting days at MAN in the 70's thinking how varied the airliner types were in those days; I feel sorry for todays spotters as everything looks the same now!
Access to the piers was fantastic ;I regret not taking photos at the time!
I would happily stand there as Viscounts and 1-11s started up just feet away and I also crawled under the fence at the pub near the threshold to watch the 1-11s, 707s and VC10s taking off from mere feet away- I now have the tinnitis to prove it!

I spend my time these days searching out propliners and older classic jets in the USA - I have no interest in the modern airliner types - they are all so similar that I have difficulties telling them apart!

I would be interested in other GMAG members memories

Rob Courtney
21st Aug 2016, 12:29
Back in the 70's, I used to catch the 44 bus to the airport from Gatley, after quite a long walk from my parents' house in Cheadle. Same here we used to meet in Leigh at 7am get the bus into the Arndale then leg it over to Piccadilly to get the 44 which would get us there about 9.30. I remember nearly catching pneumonia one Friday in Feb 80/1 standing on pier C waiting for the Weekly Northwest Orient 747 Freighter.

There was always a Fred Olsen Convair in on Sat mornings and also the weekly TransAmerica DC10 to look forward to.

magpienja
21st Aug 2016, 16:28
Some fantastic type to be seen in the 60s/70 after our rail/bus ride from Liverpool.

sparkysam
21st Aug 2016, 20:32
My first recollection of Ringway is my dad taking myself and brother up to the Styal rd area. If i remember correctly there was a seating area made out of scaffolding, i think this would be circa 1963.
Also waiting until the last minute to see the Swissair Coronado arrive before running to catch the last bus down to Gatley.

johnnyonions
13th Sep 2016, 18:57
http://<a href=http://s884.photobucket.com/user/groundhugger1/media/Mystery%20Piaggio%20DC3_zpsmur22hrw.jpg.html target=_blank>http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/groundhugger1/Mystery%20Piaggio%20DC3_zpsmur22hrw.jpg

Lots of Memories of Ringway in the Sixties in the space between boyhood and manhood when more interesting 60's things got in the way of Aircraft spotting

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/groundhugger1/Mystery%20Piaggio%20DC3_zpsmur22hrw.jpg (http://s884.photobucket.com/user/groundhugger1/media/Mystery%20Piaggio%20DC3_zpsmur22hrw.jpg.html)
A Piaggio a very noisy thing the engines seemed to be screaming their nuts off even taxying . the DC3 is I think the Fairie's Aviation one .

johnnyonions
13th Sep 2016, 19:16
I remember looking at the joyridingComanche of NEA taking the the lucky people a trip round the Airport , I could just about buy a roll of film out of my paper round wages back then , the bus stop outside the Domestic pier , and people looking over the 4 foot high wire fence .http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac43/groundhugger1/NEA1_zpsihgqwmkc.jpg (http://s884.photobucket.com/user/groundhugger1/media/NEA1_zpsihgqwmkc.jpg.html)

monarols
17th Mar 2017, 04:34
Hi All,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAk4bMxAYvc

Just thought I'd let you know I posted a short 18min movie on Youtube of Ringway circa 1970. Still getting used to using a vid editing program, lol, but didnt turn out too bad. Enjoy Cheers Chris

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Mar 2017, 11:33
You might have pointed out that the above vid is on a flight sim, not real.

Groundloop
17th Mar 2017, 12:10
Manchester in the 70's

RAF Transport Command did not exist in 1970. The Comet and Britannia should be from Air Support Command. The VC-10 should also have Air Support Command titles.

DaveReidUK
17th Mar 2017, 13:01
Nicely done, though the landing aircraft seem a tad slow on the approach.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the World 707.

Planemike
17th Mar 2017, 14:37
The aircraft shown in the image on msg #207 is PA-28 160 Cherokee G-ARVS. It is still on the UK register under the mks G-JAKS.

monarols
18th Mar 2017, 10:44
Glad u enjoyed the video. I was thinking about the approach speeds, and thought it was ok. None of the aircraft in the video are AI models, but fully flyable detailed models, controlled by the AI engine in FSX, which may explain why the approach speeds appear slow?

spargazer
2nd Aug 2017, 13:11
Also the half hourly now 88 now to be hourly!

canberra97
2nd Aug 2017, 14:20
spargazer

For what could be a really interesting thread it has taken you four and a half months just to make a comment about a bus service going hourly!

No wonder this thread has died off.

MARK9263
2nd Aug 2017, 18:42
Just wanted to bring to everyone's attention a brand new DVD, Six Miles From Home - The Story of The Stockport Air Disaster.

I've watched it and it's fantastic, a superb documentary covering one of the worst urban air crashes in UK history.

This is now available at Ringway Publications - BOOKS (http://www.ringwaypublications.com/shop/)

rog747
3rd Aug 2017, 05:14
Just wanted to bring to everyone's attention a brand new DVD, Six Miles From Home - The Story of The Stockport Air Disaster.

I've watched it and it's fantastic, a superb documentary covering one of the worst urban air crashes in UK history.

This is now available at Ringway Publications - BOOKS (http://www.ringwaypublications.com/shop/)

yes - also not to mention also the new book by Stephen Morrin to compliment the DVD
of the same title 6 miles from home - quite a read

spargazer
3rd Aug 2017, 09:46
This thread brought back memories for me too. As a young spotter in about 1962/63 I often used to cycle to Ringway from near Lymm. I have a vague memory of noting a Gloster Meteor preserved there. Unfortunately all my notes have been lost in various house moves over many years. Has memory played tricks, or does anyone else remember it?If I am right, can anyone help with its serial please? Many tanks, George.

Maybe it was VT340 just maybe, scrapped 1963 sh Meteor F4 Perhaps?

The AvgasDinosaur
3rd Aug 2017, 23:05
Here's a few bits from one who started in Dec 1963.
First aircraft Cambrian C-47 G-ALCC.
Was the lady who ran the shop on top of the roof called Dillys ?
Hot food in the roof top cafe Fish fingers and chips 1/10d sausage was 2/= but think you got a slice of bread and butter with the sausage and chips?
For all you ATC chaps on here I was the P.I.T.A. that used to park his gypsey call sign on the old GCA site near the central taxiway and do my paperwork well away from supervision. Clearance Back to the north side was often by alldis type lamp and on one memeorable occasion verry pistol. ( was that you chiglet?)
Bit of homework for you guys.
What was the last arrival and departure from runway 20
----------------------------------"-------------------------02
----------------------------------"-------------------------28
----------------------------------"-------------------------10
Who can remember the Martinair DC-10 that took out helicopters for the Rhodesian elections?
How many helicopters were there?
More to come if you want ?
David

ZeBedie
5th Aug 2017, 20:47
"More to come if you want?"

Yes please

DanAir89
6th Aug 2017, 11:04
I've just seen that there are books published on Manchester diversions etc.

I'm only interested in one so if anyone has the details of the aircraft involved I would be very grateful.

1983 - early hours of a Tuesday morning in August (16th, 23rd or 30th) a Britannia 737 diverted from Newcastle that originated in Corfu. I was only 9, can't remember the reg but do remember the attempt to land at NCL in zero visibility.

ZOOKER
6th Aug 2017, 18:04
I'm fairly certain that the last arrival on R/W 28 was C172, G-AZTS. I was the air controller on the day it happened. W/V was about 330/25 gusting 35.
Horrendous X-winds.......Although 10/28 had been withdrawn years before, 'TS requested it due to the extreme Wx. MAPLC were happy to oblige. 'OPS3' agreed to it, and a 'Land At Your Discretion' was given, as it had not been swept etc for ages. G-AZTS landed safely, well short of the intersection with 06/24.
Sadly, I can't remember the date, but late 1980s, I think.

sparkysam
6th Aug 2017, 19:31
Hi All
AvgasDinosaur yes i remember the roof top cafe, you could sit at the bar, kitchen area. My favorite was sausage roll and chips Oooooh
cheers Sam

Mooncrest
7th Aug 2017, 17:59
The thing that struck me about spectating at Manchester was the smell of kerosene all over the pier and terminal roofs. Nowadays, turbine engines burn much cleaner and the car park roof is as close as you can get to the action so the pier pong is long since gone. Shame.

BEagle
7th Aug 2017, 18:45
Many years ago I was stationed at RAF Wattisham flying F-4s with 56(F) Sqn. One leave period, I booked a flight to the family home in Menorca...from Manchester.

Knowing that Manchester was somewhere oop Nawrth, I duly set off thinking that it wasn't far from Birmingham. Well it probably wasn't by F-4, but it certainly was in my (much-missed) VW Scirocco.

I made the car park with not long to go to gate closure, dashed through the terminal and made it...just. Friendly folks realised my predicament and waved me through!

When I got back, I discovered that I'd forgotten to lock the car. But everything was fine and I was soon on my way south.

I wonder how that trip would have gone these days some 37 years later?

VX275
7th Aug 2017, 19:41
The thing that struck me about spectating at Manchester was the smell of kerosene all over the pier and terminal roofs. Nowadays, turbine engines burn much cleaner and the car park roof is as close as you can get to the action so the pier pong is long since gone. Shame.

My family moved to Heald Green in 1960 and so I grew up downwind of the airport. Its also probably why I now work at Boscombe and even today when the odd wiff of jet exhaust drifts through the office window I feel homesick.

Mooncrest
7th Aug 2017, 19:59
I like Heald Green, the quintessential English suburb. I would happily live there if I worked at Ringway, fumes or no fumes.

Apologies for the thread drift😉.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Aug 2017, 16:54
I'm fairly certain that the last arrival on R/W 28 was C172, G-AZTS.

Got a few hours in that in and out of Ringway! Used to go meat bombing in it at Burscough, flying out from Ringway early in the morning tanking fuel which was off loaded at Burscough for use during the day, back after the day of dropping.

In order to top up the tanks one morning I was taxying TS from the South side to the then freight apron (near where T3 is today) for fuel. As I approached 24 on the taxyway there was a BA 757 on final.

"Tango Sierra, hold at Foxtrot (or whatever it was back then)".

"Hold at Fox, Tango Sierra".

The 75 swept past and I was cleared to cross the main and continue to the Freight. The 75 vacated, turned onto the taxyway, and began taxying back towards the Domestic Terminal (now T3) at quite a rate. It became clear our paths would cross!

"Tower, Tango Sierra. Confirm we are cleared all the way to the Freight Apron?"

"Tango Sierra affirm. Break. Shuttle Two Sierra give way to the Cessna, right to left".

The 757's nose visibly dipped as the power came off and the brakes went on.

"Shuttle Two Sierra, Wilco. Sail before steam!"

And back in those more laid back days, when returning, a typical Air Traffic instruction might be "Tango Sierra your traffic's a Trident on a 3 mile final. When you see him, nip in behind".

Happy days!

ANW
10th Aug 2017, 20:46
- for the youngsters amongst us who can only remember the Number 44 bus to the airport from Manchester Piccadilly, it should be pointed out this bus route in the late-1950s and onwards was originally the Number 64, using red double deckers with open rear boarding platform. The route was later renumbered to the 44. The airport terminus in those days was the main entrance to the former RAF Ringway camp with the old Astra cinema block on the corner.

- Ref post 222 - last aircraft to land on RWY 28 was based Rockwell AC112A, G-LITE, on 8th January 1995 at time 1615,
with a dodgy u/c, which only locked down in the flare (!) stopping well short of the main 06/24.

spargazer
14th Aug 2017, 18:32
spargazer

For what could be a really interesting thread it has taken you four and a half months just to make a comment about a bus service going hourly!

No wonder this thread has died off.
that is how it happens, Cheshire East have very recently cut back funding

spargazer
14th Aug 2017, 19:14
Hi

Re your post

I Think there must have been 2 Geoff Balls beacuase the 1 i know had his retirment party at the ship Inn in Styal las Year (Looked pretty alive to me)

You must have been there in the days of MAD HARRY/BURMA BESS

I Cant think of any more names but there are still a few of them around

I Thing the Kirbys are still around but into Hot Air Balloning now

Do you remember Brian(Gammy)Lewis ? I know he died some time ago.

If you think of any more let me know

Regards
I had the nickname "Fred", about Gammy, he passed away in 1973sh, others that I remember were Geoff Hatton and a Dave Butterworth, the Kirbys all got hitched, one has two children, son and daughter both 20sh, he and another M still balloon mad and working, and the other two S and H are fine, H had a son, he is 40sh and a parent, S is is living up in Mossley

Humanahum
8th Apr 2020, 15:18
I was fortunate as a young lad in the 70s to fly on lots of holidays. My parents were publicans and pretty flexible about letting me roam where I liked. They had a pub just outside Doncaster when I was 13 in '81 I lied and told them I was going spotting at Doncaster airfield. Instead, with a picked bag of sarnies, binoculars, civil aircraft markings book, camera and air band radio, I caught the 0610 bus to Doncaster, then the 0711 train to Manchester (On my own!!) The day return was £3:10. Then at Picadilly I caught the express bus to the airport. I think it was a quid each way. I could be on the terrace before 10am. I did this a few Saturdays before telling my Grandmother, who promptly grassed me up. My Father said I could continue goinng if I stuck to some rules - phone as soon as you are in the terminal blah blah blah.
So by 10am on Saturdays I would be able to see to Avigenex Tu134s, Tidents on pier A - which I was never fond of because I never really liked BA. Plenty of Dan-Air 727s and 1-11 (I still run a Dan-Air website to this day) Plenty of the older spotters chatted to me. If you are one of them and I annoyed you getting under your feet - Sorry. Did you sometimes get a wave from the flight deck? Especially if you were there with only about 6 people on the pier because it was lashing it down - but would rather be up close than in the slightly pissy smelling undercover area with the rancid cafe....I didn't mind one bit getting soaked to my pants. I met a Dan-Air girl who I nagged to sell me her pen! Her fella worked for Dan-Air Engineering. The following week it was arranged for me to have a bit of a tour around their hanger. They perhaps thought I was a desperate case being thirteen and on my own - I did have mates - but they were interested in football and girls - both I still habe no interest in!!
I consider myself lucky that I got to see Spantax Coronados, noisy old Tupolev 154s from Balkan and Tarom, 727s by the shed load owned by Air France and Lufthansa, KLM, SAS, Aviaco and Adria DC9s, CP Air's DC8 and Wardair 747s. People on the terraces practically ran when something rare came in - The odd Tarom Il18 was a joy. I always preferred the old stuff like a grubby Malev 154 to a gleaming Qantas 747. Oh to have one more day in the company of Dan, Air Europe, Orion, Britannia, Monarch, Sabena and LOT and wasn't it a ball ache when the EL Al 707 came in and we couldn't go on the terrace for, I think, an hour before it came, whilst it was there and shortly after it left? It was the happiest of times. When I sit in the terminal now with a G&T in my hand I still recognise all the airlines and types and it is still special, but it will never give me a sense of amazement that it did - and yes I used to sneak in through the turnstyles near pier A. My favourite place to stand was on Pier B. I think being such a young lad on my own did help when I went on the scrounge as well. I often went to the airline office to cadge a pen or a poster or a model if I was lucky. People used to spoil me rotten. I've taken up too much of your time.....
I'm glazing over now.

BRIEFING OFFICER
9th Apr 2020, 11:01
Yep..remember the revolving light very well..and the DC7cs..Super Connies..Britts DC6s and the 17.5 hours run to NYC!!! and as part of the MTCA (Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation) tower staff my checking the runway for debris before running the runway caravan onto the 24 hard standing for the night watch! Oh and the hilarious time the BEA apron vehile (a funny Heinkel three wheeler) was blow over complete with driver and rolled into the passenger exit from the booking hall (in the hangar) by a Supe Connie taxiing out... Happy 1959

ATNotts
9th Apr 2020, 11:01
I was fortunate as a young lad in the 70s to fly on lots of holidays. My parents were publicans and pretty flexible about letting me roam where I liked. They had a pub just outside Doncaster when I was 13 in '81 I lied and told them I was going spotting at Doncaster airfield. Instead, with a picked bag of sarnies, binoculars, civil aircraft markings book, camera and air band radio, I caught the 0610 bus to Doncaster, then the 0711 train to Manchester (On my own!!) The day return was £3:10. Then at Picadilly I caught the express bus to the airport. I think it was a quid each way. I could be on the terrace before 10am. I did this a few Saturdays before telling my Grandmother, who promptly grassed me up. My Father said I could continue goinng if I stuck to some rules - phone as soon as you are in the terminal blah blah blah.
So by 10am on Saturdays I would be able to see to Avigenex Tu134s, Tidents on pier A - which I was never fond of because I never really liked BA. Plenty of Dan-Air 727s and 1-11 (I still run a Dan-Air website to this day) Plenty of the older spotters chatted to me. If you are one of them and I annoyed you getting under your feet - Sorry. Did you sometimes get a wave from the flight deck? Especially if you were there with only about 6 people on the pier because it was lashing it down - but would rather be up close than in the slightly pissy smelling undercover area with the rancid cafe....I didn't mind one bit getting soaked to my pants. I met a Dan-Air girl who I nagged to sell me her pen! Her fella worked for Dan-Air Engineering. The following week it was arranged for me to have a bit of a tour around their hanger. They perhaps thought I was a desperate case being thirteen and on my own - I did have mates - but they were interested in football and girls - both I still habe no interest in!!
I consider myself lucky that I got to see Spantax Coronados, noisy old Tupolev 154s from Balkan and Tarom, 727s by the shed load owned by Air France and Lufthansa, KLM, SAS, Aviaco and Adria DC9s, CP Air's DC8 and Wardair 747s. People on the terraces practically ran when something rare came in - The odd Tarom Il18 was a joy. I always preferred the old stuff like a grubby Malev 154 to a gleaming Qantas 747. Oh to have one more day in the company of Dan, Air Europe, Orion, Britannia, Monarch, Sabena and LOT and wasn't it a ball ache when the EL Al 707 came in and we couldn't go on the terrace for, I think, an hour before it came, whilst it was there and shortly after it left? It was the happiest of times. When I sit in the terminal now with a G&T in my hand I still recognise all the airlines and types and it is still special, but it will never give me a sense of amazement that it did - and yes I used to sneak in through the turnstyles near pier A. My favourite place to stand was on Pier B. I think being such a young lad on my own did help when I went on the scrounge as well. I often went to the airline office to cadge a pen or a poster or a model if I was lucky. People used to spoil me rotten. I've taken up too much of your time.....
I'm glazing over now.

Really sad that with all the security of the modern airport much of what you enjoyed as a 13 year old is not really an option for today's generation of young teenagers. Add to that fearful parents who these days wouldn't even allow their little darlings the chance to go to Doncaster on their own - it would be a trip in the family SUV, or with another parent. And did you say you chatted to some of the older spotters? If they were caught doing so today, they'd be carted off and investigated by the nanny state!!

Fly.Buy
13th Apr 2020, 15:29
Great memories of Manchester Airport aka Ringway in the 1970’s. Snorkel coats, large radio sets with long aerials frequency 118 decimal 7. Binoculars 8x40 10x50 12x50 . Plastic coin operated portable TV,s in the domestic departure halls. Airline offices at the back of the terminal where you would scrounge timetables and memorabilia. Anyone remember the ABC timetables? A monthly schedules booklet sold at the pier entrance. Skilton postcards sold at the terminal newsagents. Airfrance Caravelles on pier 3 the aerial wires attached from the fuselage to the tail. Boarding from the rear tail stairs for BAC1-11, B727, DC9, Caravelles. The Kar Air DC6 on a Saturday mornings. Frequent ever so noisy Guppy visits, Oman 1-11’s, Saudi Hercs, the whining of the Dart engines for Viscounts and HS748’s. John Denver arriving on his Lockheed Electra, Div days (did anyone attend school on these days?). Aviation trips by a club called Starliner. Brilliant day’s and Brilliant memories!! LAKER, AVIACO, SPANTAX, STERLING, WARDAIR, DAN AIR, CP AIR, AVIOGENEX, ORION, AIR EUROPE, BEA and many more all sadly missed from our skies!

Keir Faulkner
27th Jun 2020, 20:15
the 737-200 has been bought for preservation it is in Aeroplane D-ABCE bound for Gatow Mus p12 July 2020

Tim Zukas
1st Jul 2020, 17:18
*When a Stratocruiser (PanAm, I think) landed at Ringway people looked on in dread as it approached the runway in a nosedive. Not having seen a Stratocruiser before, it just did not seem right that its nosewheel should be the first to touch the ground.

Don't think Pan Am ever scheduled B377s to Manchester. BOAC did, but the mid-50s timetable says their B377s flew to Burtonwood rather than Ringway. Anyone got a timetable showing anyone's B377 at Ringway?

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/ba2/ba57/ba57-03.jpg