PDA

View Full Version : Erase current Windows before reloading?

BMM389EC
24th Mar 2007, 13:17
Hello All
Not too clued up on this sort of thing.....Anyway I can delete/erase my current Windows XP before reloading it? In stead of just reloading over the current one? Its been giving endless problems and I've tried everything. So going to start from scratch again.

sir.pratt
24th Mar 2007, 13:23
it's a mission to format or remove XP. take the computer to an IT geek, get the hard drive formatted, then use a fresh copy of XP to upload. problem with XP now though, is that there's 100's of meg of updates to load as well. maybe you should go linux or another OS .......

Keef
24th Mar 2007, 14:51
If you haven't done it already, I'd be inclined to take out the hard drive that's in there, and put in another one (they're pretty cheap on Ebay these days). Then, install to that. If it's no better, you haven't lost all your old settings and won't spend days putting them back.

If that doesn't fix it, then put the old HD back as master and make the new one "slave" - so you've got oodles more hard drive space.

If it fixes it, put the old one back as slave (not the boot drive) and you've got all your files back without needing to do vast amounts of copying.

Before you do any of that, run a proper virus and malware scan on the existing HD - AVG plus SpyBot etc (see the sticky at the top of this forum).