PDA

View Full Version : Would I be Eligible for AF Aircrew?

HW79
23rd Mar 2007, 21:49
Hello.

Im currently completing modular training at a commercial school with the intention of eventually being an airline pilot. However, the more I think about it the more I feel I would be better suited as a military pilot and I personally feel that I have the attitude and abilities required.

However, there are a couple of things I would like clarifying regarding this if possible as the AFCO guy wasn't sure on these when I made my initial enquiry and i'm also out of the country for the forseeable future.

Firstly, I understand the limit on entry is under 23 for aircrew in the RAF. I have recently turned 22 and understand the process of joining to date of entry can be very long-winded, sometimes up to a year or more as a pilot. Can anybody tell me whether this limit is rigidly enforced as I may stray over this by a month or two. Is this the same for flight crew in the RN and Army as well as RAF?

Also, I presume a PPL (possibly even a CPL by that time), would be desirable or would they prefer you as a blank canvas to mould as they see fit?

I also have one query regarding medical eligibility, sepcifically eyesight (sorry, I imagine this gets asked to death). I was issued a Class1 by the CAA without the need to wear glasses or lenses etc however I am aware my eyesight is not exactly 0/0 or whatever it is but it is only very minutely out. Is this a big issue or does it come down to the individual? Is a perfect eyesight requirement enforced throught? Again, the guy at the AFCO was not completely sure about this.

Any ideas or thoughts on these much appreciated, hopefully the responses are all positive :)

H.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Mar 2007, 22:46
Firstly, I understand the limit on entry is under 23 for aircrew in the RAF. I have recently turned 22 and understand the process of joining to date of entry can be very long-winded, sometimes up to a year or more as a pilot. Can anybody tell me whether this limit is rigidly enforced as I may stray over this by a month or two.

Yes it is and no can't.

You have to be entering IOT before you are 23.

If we were short of suitable candidates then it might be different; we aren't so it isn't.

There have been many aspirants with childhood asthma and other marginal medical condition. Same answer.

The way it has been in the past may be likened to the following:

The acceptable level is, say 60%. When we needed 1200 or so aircrew per year (yes, in the 60s that is true) we would look for the best 40% who applied. Sometimes there would be not enough applicants and those at 60-61% would get accepted. Other times there would be a surfeit of applicants and the cut-off might be raised to 70%. With a high cut-off the pass rates into productive service would be high. With the cut-off and acceptance at 60% the failure or recourse rates would climb.

We have been doing it for some time. We are quite experienced. The length of time to train a pilot, and the need to get them young, dictates the age limit.

It is not just pilots at the bottom. Old hairies at the top cannot get re-trained on a new aircraft over the age of 50 and often as low as 45.

Bottom line however, if you are bloody good they will consider your age and try and ensure you get in before the magic date - IOT start dates will determine exactly how much time you have as the latest start date may be several months before your birthday.

Sentry Agitator
23rd Mar 2007, 23:13
HW

I think PN knows his stuff when it comes to this however, if you get to Cranwell and pass the aptitude scores for Pilot and everything else, and the most important thing to you is being in the Air Force? and, you may be just borderline age, then at least you have an in-road later, should you be offered another branch. (gents help me out with the upper limit once we are in pse!)

I passed pilot, nav and everything else bar INTO due to eyesight as a 35 SNCO. I was commissioned in branch but was told that apart from being a little bit blind, and a little bit long in the tooth I might have been considered 10 years before to go pilot! ....never mind, we can but dream, regardless of age.

The point I want to make is that they may still consider you but, obviously like every employer and considered to the young blood and future prospects of the RAF they have got to consider their best option.

The bottom line is you won't know unless you have a crack...and you have to do that!

Good luck young man but please watch out for all the government sponsored yes men that want to be promoted before looking after their troops.

SA :ok:

Pontius Navigator
24th Mar 2007, 07:33
SA, it is 26.

Now had HW posted in the OASC thread he could have found the age thing too.

While it is 26 those few years 23, 24 and 25 can disappear in a flash once you start doing the job.

airborne_artist
24th Mar 2007, 07:48
Eyesight regs are at http://www.aop.org.uk/uploaded_files/raf_nov06.pdf - print out and take to your optician.

Remember, the Royal Navy will a) take you up to age 25 and 11 months, and b) has a slightly lower eyesight req., http://www.aop.org.uk/uploaded_files/pdf/04-navy.pdf

HW79
27th Mar 2007, 09:28
Hello all and thank you for the replies.

Sorry, I havent been able to answer sooner.

Im definately going to go down to the AFCO as soon as possible (hopefully ill be back in the UK within 2 weeks or so).

Also, interesting point about the Navy taking you at 26, i'll definately look into that also. Im not going to lie, I would walk over hot coles at a chance at serving in either to be fair. Although I would ask would they look at it as a good or a bad thing that you werent fussed over which service you entered so long as you were flying?

Thanks.

J.A.F.O.
27th Mar 2007, 10:44
Would I be Eligible for AF Aircrew?
And do try to remember that it's RAF.