PDA

View Full Version : CX Resignee advice

Johannes Kepler
22nd Mar 2007, 20:41
I am thinking of leaving CX for a job that I enjoy (which is basically absolutly any other job), however, I am wondering, do I really have to give three months notice ? Has anyone ever not worked three months notice ? What happens ? do the Swire bullyboys descend upon you with their private investigators ? Will I have to litigate ?

It is a real shame that I have to leave, I was so looking forward to those fifteen hour sectors to LAX with ACMS on the "triplaaa".

moosp
22nd Mar 2007, 23:34
The first thing the company will do is inform the tax authorities who put an immigration stop on you - takes about 2 minutes. When you have sorted out what tax you owe, and paid it, you can leave Hong Kong.

Not sure on the 3 months, but ask AOA. Oh, are you a member?

Mr. Bloggs
22nd Mar 2007, 23:51
You don’t have to give 3 months but CX will demand 3 months payment in lieu of. Not sure if benefits are included in that pay. If you don’t, they will take it out of your PF. If you are not here 10 years, you will only get a percentage on years of service. CX will take it out of the bit you receive.

If you are can take a base, take a base anywhere. Take all of your PF and resign from your base. You get to keep all your PF and not just some. Use your Joker to get to a based fleet. You may have to plan 6 months to a year to resign if you have a PF here and done less than 10 years.

I have heard of one bloke that handed in his resignation to the Fleet Office. When he got home to his base, he faxed in a 3-month sick note signed by his doctor. I can still hear the Fleet Manager screaming.

CX will inform the IRD immediately you file your resignation and you will expect a Tax Demand Note within a week. Not sure if CX will withhold your tax obligation or not. IRD will demand payment very quickly. If you leave jumping tax, leave via Macao and LCC to Singapore. Like Moosp said, they may get you at immigration.

If you plan on going sick within those 3 months, expect a PI to be watching. You’ll be brought back and fired before your 3 months. I can only assume you will still receive your PF payout when you get fired.

If you rent, change the way you make payment to your landlord. Have CX put it directly into your account and not directly into your Landlord’s account. Then use your damage deposit for the last two months rent. If you don’t CX will get onto your landlord and get him to keep some, if not all of your damage deposit. CX will demand payment of their damage deposit and will take it out of your PF or salary if there is any left. These blokes are very vindictive even if you are leaving on good or bad terms.

Good luck with it all but be very careful with these blokes. Just ask a 49er.

jtr
23rd Mar 2007, 04:47
Since tax has partially been paid for the financial year, wouldn't you expect to get some back based on the provisional tax already loaned to the government?

Mr. Bloggs
23rd Mar 2007, 05:15
OK chaps, so the way to bail out is to get on a base and cash in your provident fund. Quit while outside of HK so the IRD can't nail you, find another job and bolt for the door...

Now you're thinking. Faxing in that sick note sounds even better.

Yes you pay provisional tax for that very reason but not all. What percentage of you tax is provisional? I don't know.:zzz:

tifters
23rd Mar 2007, 05:21
You will also have to pay cx 3 months housing, whatever the rate is that you are on. Is the same the other way, when they want you out asap, they pay 3 months salary and housing.
Good luck for the future bud!!

C-152Captain
23rd Mar 2007, 05:59
So if you have to bail in a hurry and don't have any money to pay CX for the insufficient notice. What will they do? If you're from Australia or England, do they have any rights to take you to court in your home country when you were working for them under a Hong Kong contract?

Thanks for any info.

Numero Crunchero
24th Mar 2007, 00:33
Funny giving advice about leaving;-)

Go on a base first. If you have done say 3 years, you will get 30% of your PF tax free and then the remaining 70% will be subject to HKG tax(just came down to 15% I think?). If you resign whilst HKG based you will only get the 30% for 3 years service, or as applicable to your years of service.
Unless you are in your first year, you must give 3 months notice or payment in lieu. I think many people have found themselves too stressed to fly after resigning and have dr's note accordingly. According to HKG ordinance they cannot fire you whilst you are on sick leave. Besides, it would be a little redundant for CX to fire you when you are in the last 3 months anyway.

Tax in HKG is called provisional but is in fact more like PAYE tax in australia. You will never pay tax for income you haven't earnt. So when it came to paying 'provisional' tax in early Jan07, you were in fact paying tax for the 9months from 1/4/06-31/12/06....ie 75% of your likely annual tax bill.

CX are required to withhold paying your last salary/salaries until you have IRD clearance. If you think your tax bill is greater than 3months salary you are doing something different to me.

Clear as mud?

FlexibleResponse
24th Mar 2007, 13:02
They can be extremely vindictive as shown, for example, by their behaviour in many cases involving the 49ers.

Life is short. Don't burn any bridges and give them a chance for retribution.

Try to give them the full three months notice. The process becomes very simple.

767-300ER
24th Mar 2007, 14:33
I thought the staff answer was to do something like miss a flight or show up late for a flight/sim....the company puts you back on probation for one year with 7 days notice....and then you give them seven days notice....

This worked quite well for a friend of mine...

Stereolab
25th Mar 2007, 12:19
Wow, I guess not getting the Cathay job was the best thing to ever happen to me....seems like lot's of folks are leaving....

I wish I never passed phase one though....could have used the money I spent on the 747 sim prep and took a nice vacation.

Good luck...