PDA

View Full Version : Exasperation Trying to E-mail AOL Addresses

BLUE SKY THINKER
22nd Mar 2007, 18:41
Anyone else having this problem; particularly interested if your e-mail account is hosted via 1&1 (http://1and1.co.uk)?

This has been ongoing for months (years actually) - intermittently - but is particularly bad of late; sometimes taking hours to get a message through. I'm led to believe it is an anti-SPAM (filter) measure, the severity of which is particular/peculiar to AOL and well known in the industry (?). 1&1 certainly seems to have given up; not even answering questions on the subject now. The best one of their representatives could suggest this evening was to complain to AOL (hmmmmm) and that the industry is waiting for AOL customers to revolt (hmmmmm+) when they realise how much of their mail is late, or not getting through (!).

I'm hardly a bulk sender of e-mail to AOL addresses; probably 1-2 per day on average. These particular recipients have been finally receiving mail up to twenty-four hours late over the last week. I've been advising them of the problem; presumably 99.99999% of people on AOL will have no idea their mail is late. Some of their senders will - believe me - have completely given up, unknown to them. Quite where the 'revolt' is going to come from in these circumstances, I don't know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following addresses failed:

<######@aol.com>

SMTP error from remote server after transfer of mail text:
host mailin-03.mx.aol.com[#########]:
554-: (ISP:B2) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554ispb2.html
554 TRANSACTION FAILED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLUE SKY THINKER
24th Mar 2007, 00:25
Thanks for the offer Mike, but - as it does - the situation has cleared itself over the last twenty-four hours again; for now.

I know from experience though, it will be back periodically before long!

TheOddOne
24th Mar 2007, 08:43
...get an AOL e-mail address!

I've been with AOL since they started in the UK, great service, super e-mail address, absolutely bone-simple, everyone remembers it. Their spam filter is second-to-none. In fact, they started the whole anti-spam thing off.

I can access my e-mail account anywhere in the world with an internet access. It's not cheap, but it IS good value for money.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

BLUE SKY THINKER
24th Mar 2007, 11:04
OddOne.....

"I've been with AOL since they started in the UK, great service"

The thread was initiated due frustration. I to - despite their negative press - had six good years with AOL.

"...get an AOL e-mail address!"

I think if I did (again) I would now be worrying about how long my e-mail had spent in the system trying to get to me, or those that never got to me because the sender had given up. You need some fairly persistent chums - as in one case this week - to keep resending a bounced e-mail nine times over a nearly twenty-four hour period. It was merely to highlight this situation to those with "an AOL e-mail address", not the customary 'AOL bashing'.

"Their spam filter is second-to-none"

I think you will find this is the problem! "Second-to-none" maybe, but as far as e-mail is concerned some, without even realising why, may find, there is none.