22nd Mar 2007, 16:31
One page says:

Abingdon Airfield (Dalton Barracks) Saturday 26th & Sunday 27th May 2007

and another says:

RAF Spirit of Adventure at Abingdon Airfield, 26-27 August

Apart from that, all seems fine :rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
22nd Mar 2007, 20:23
One of the CAS's and RAF's new engagement strategy. It is designed to appeal to future recruits rather than the old style traditional air show with is market stands, beer tents, and expensive hot dogs and fast noisy things.

Focks 2
22nd Mar 2007, 20:26
"WARNING: THIS IS NO ORDINARY AIR SHOW
With your new found Spirit of Adventure we want YOU to go places where you wouldn't dream of going."

Yeah, bring you're own bucket n spade! :suspect:

smithoag
23rd Mar 2007, 11:23
A few weeks prior to this event there will be the 8th annual Abingdon Air & Country Show at the same location costing just £8 per adult and with proceeds going to the local Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance

See www.abingdonfayre.com for more info

cheers
Colin

stickmonkeytamer
23rd Mar 2007, 11:51
"Meet the people who live the dream"...:ugh:

Are we allowed to say what we really think/ do??

Is the "motor sport simulator" a Corsa??

I've hard that the world famous Caz Leavy (she of the Times interview fame) is going to be there- best you wear a different name on your brevet Miss L!! Don't hand out any RAF pencils, just incase you drop any- it would ruin your perfectness...:mad:

SMT

talk_shy_tall_knight
23rd Mar 2007, 12:14
Is it me or does a £50 ticket actually cost £70.80 when you use the online booking link? A 40% mark up. := And that's not including a £6 odd to park the car.

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Mar 2007, 12:34
SMT,

Your "cockness" is outstanding Sir, you really are an inspiration to us NCO types :rolleyes:

Middle Mate
23rd Mar 2007, 12:59
SMT- stop being a d*ck and grow up :=

Talking Radalt
23rd Mar 2007, 18:35
"Meet the people who live the dream"...

So there's some kind of SG-1 portal at this Abingdon Military Spectacular Fest that magically teleports people to a sh!tty "temporary" TDA several thousand miles to the East is there?
WTF is/was wrong with RIAT and the Royal Tournament?
And the link crashed my PC.:ugh:
Edit: Link working again.
"THE RAF’S BIGGEST EVER ACTION-ADVENTURE EVENT":confused:
Thought that was Telic1? Was from where I was standing!:ok:

Edited again. Just read a bit deeper in to the site. I'm truly embarrased to be associated with this twaddle...
Spirit of Adventure links and combines the people of the Royal Air Force with general entertainment and industry across extreme sport, motor racing, aviation, technology and lifestyle, theme park activities, live music, stage shows, film and TV
Nice to see "aviation" is third in line after extreme sport and motor racing, and that we're now regarded as entertainment.
Whoever thought this up, please turn it off. Soon. Or at least cancel next year's.:(

Cockney Geezer
23rd Mar 2007, 22:50
SMT - You're a cheeser!

dogrobber
23rd Mar 2007, 23:14
how r they gonna do all this with the 6 folks that r available....(not counting of course anybody under group capt rank.....did u know if u x by 3 thats all ur snco aircrew) good %

Climebear
23rd Mar 2007, 23:20
how r they gonna do all this with the 6 folks that r available....(not counting of course anybody under group capt rank.....did u know if u x by 3 thats all ur snco aircrew) good %

And in England we say?

BEagle
6th Apr 2007, 08:55
Oh dear, oh dear - this does rather sound to be the most frightful bolleaux.....

RAF GROUND JET SIMULATORS & DISPLAY PLANES

Tornado, Harrier, Typhoon, Jaguar, Red Arrows Hawk, Hercules

No C-17, TriStar or VC10 flypast? They must be based too far from Abingdon. Or a Tutor aeros display, Merlin and/or Puma tactical display? Nope, guess Benson must be a bit too far away as well.....:rolleyes:

“RAF Spirit of Adventure is the ultimate embodiment of the RAF and a great weekend,” says JEM Executive Producer, Terry Jervis. “Whether you’re looking for an adrenalin rush, live music or a great shopping experience, this event offers everything you could want from a day out.”

Hmmm....and only £25 plus parking. I seem to recall Abingdon air shows having been rather better value a few years ago - and they certainly put the Air into Royal AIR Force.

Even if they didn't offer a 'great shopping experience', whatever that might be.

Talking Radalt
6th Apr 2007, 09:45
Which non-existent gap in the military/airshow market is this circus meant to fill? :confused:
I thought between RIAT, Waddington, Leuchars and a few others the season was pretty much covered. If "Terry Jervis" (whom I've never met but detest already based on his drivel on the SoA website) reads this, we have a number of airshow style events already thanks.
We like them, the public do too, please don't try to fix what isn't broken.
Do JEM make casual clothing too by the way?

HEDP
6th Apr 2007, 11:27
And whats more they get to borrow the place from the Army :E

PICKS135
6th Apr 2007, 13:31
Forget Leuchars for 2007. Amec and co are tarmacing the drive again

Talking Radalt
6th Apr 2007, 17:22
And whats more they get to borrow the place from the Army
Ah I see. An aviation "event" run from a base where the Army think everything should be done their way, bogged down by an RSM yelling at everyone for parking nose-in in the car park, and generally nagging about non-aviation trivia. This "scenario" thing gets more realistic by the minute!
Do all the visting aircrew have to bring their own MT which promplty gets nicked by the pongoes in the name of "jointery"?

Speed Twelve
6th Apr 2007, 18:09
Charging the public £25 a pop to attend an RAF recruitment fair reaches new heights on the naivety scale...

Flying Programme:

1000 - 1030 Tac Demo

1030 - 1700 Tumbleweed on runway (and car park I suspect)

BEagle
23rd Apr 2007, 07:12
I tried clicking on www.raf.mod.uk/spiritofadventure and, surprise, surprise, it came up with 404-Page Not Found....

£25 seems rather a lot for this event. How much of that is going to the RAFBF? Or is it going to the meeja luvvies who can't even spell 'microlight'....

samuraimatt
23rd Apr 2007, 08:55
Extreme RAF: Catering and Engineering Competitions

Anybody know what extreme catering is?

airborne_artist
23rd Apr 2007, 09:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXuFR7Cz4rk is fairly extreme.