PDA

View Full Version : Jets over Cambridge?

RJC
21st Mar 2007, 21:13
For the second evening, there seems to be a fair bit of jet activity over Cambridge.

I think it is military as they are low, loud (hear over TV when inside), fast (at times) and a number of them - eight to a dozen or so far tonight.

They are about now, and it was around this time yesterday too.

Anyone know what may be going on?

ProfessionalStudent
21st Mar 2007, 21:16
They're trying to burn off fuel so more can be bought before the fuel duty increases at midnight...:ok:

mary_hinge
21st Mar 2007, 21:30
I've heard and seen them both evenings, loved the re-heat display last night on a couple of occasions, Mrs MH thought (and others I expect) it odd that I wanted to stand in the garden.

Exercise at one of the USAF camps or RAF Marham?

RJC
21st Mar 2007, 21:33
I'm glad I was not alone standing in the freezing cold looking skyward!

r supwoods
21st Mar 2007, 21:38
Makes a change from the Police Helicopter :hmm:

mike172
21st Mar 2007, 22:23
Haha! too right, that police helicopter seems to hover right above my house most nights!

I noticed the jets yesterday and tonight as well, a good motivational tool for doing my coursework!

Tiger_mate
21st Mar 2007, 22:24
Lakenheath had a RHAG engagement last night, so their aircraft had to loiter for 30 mins, and Cambridge is as good as anywhere. May be a coincidence, but quite possibly linked.

Ewan Whosearmy
21st Mar 2007, 22:29
The Liberty Wing is night flying at the moment. Nothing special and will probably last for another week or so.

samuraimatt
21st Mar 2007, 22:57
Haha! too right, that police helicopter seems to hover right above my house most nights!

Live in a rough neighbourhood?

mary_hinge
2nd Apr 2007, 21:26
Back again tonight, 6th one has just gone over ( or 1st one is on 6th lap:E ) :ok:

mike172
2nd Apr 2007, 21:43
Yep, I've had a fair few come over my house tonight as well. Pretty cool though, seeing them with their nav lights on and afterburners lighting them up.

TheHogwartsBEngO
3rd Apr 2007, 07:36
I live in a former MQ at a secret Blunty RAF Base near Huntingdon and I agree, the jet noise last night did make a change from the usual Police helicopter! (which frequently shines its searchlight in ours and surrounding gardens)

I could hear a constant rumble but the jets seemed to hit re-heat each time I was about to drift into the arms of morpheus... :*

In fact, come to think of it, I was rehearsing a play in Bluntisham village hall one evening last week and we were interupted by a very fast, very low and very loud fly-by.

Might keep an eye out tonight and do some spotting! :8

'Chuffer' Dandridge
3rd Apr 2007, 17:14
Probably the USAF doing a recce over York....:E

gar170
3rd Apr 2007, 22:17
[QUOTE]
Probably the USAF doing a recce over York....:E

More like still trying to find Iran:8

judge.oversteer
3rd Apr 2007, 23:57
No,its still a bit secret.
Called Campus Control!
Will be in the Times tomorrow.
JO

25F
4th Apr 2007, 22:36
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
- Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914).