PDA

View Full Version : Starting at CX - headset to buy?

Air1980
21st Mar 2007, 18:13
Starting later this year, just wondering if I should invest in the in-ear headset type or do they provide another type to use? Also, the old flightcase is a bit battered, any sense on buying a new one or is the electronic flight bag not far off?

asianeagle
22nd Mar 2007, 02:15
headset supplied, bring your own bag:ok:

Night Watch
22nd Mar 2007, 03:35
Air1980

Wait to buy your bag here... lots cheaper. You will also find that you wont need one as big as you are used to... in other words, just big enough to scrunch your hat into and thats about it!

Harbour Dweller
22nd Mar 2007, 05:13
As already stated Headsets are provided for all crew members on every aircraft.

You are also provided with sterile wipes and new earpiece covers for every flight.

Forget buying another traditional nav bag. Wait till you arrive here, then look around at what most other guys use. You will have lots of time in your training to do this.

Sqwak7700
22nd Mar 2007, 05:34
You will not need any headsets. They are provided, and CX does not allow you to use your own headset anyway. The planes use a one plug headset and some of the freighters use ANR headsets which are pretty nice. The pax. and some BCFs use these really crappy ones.

I believe the only things you are required to bring are a calculator, a pen, and I think a flashlight? So, if you wanted to, you wouldn't need a bag. Having said that, most people carry around a laptop, so you will see most traveling with laptop cases. You won't be lugging arround any bulky manuals, so the old square flight kit bag is way oversized for this task.

Dan Winterland
22nd Mar 2007, 06:53
Yes, don't foerget your torch. On my last CAD inspection, the inspector wanted to see my torch but not my licence!

He didn't check the batteries though :rolleyes:

Air1980
22nd Mar 2007, 15:06
Excellent, thanks for all the replys. You just saved me from spending a lot of money that could be better spent elsewhere.......!

thepotato232
22nd Mar 2007, 15:41
Aw, but I like my big, clunky flight bag...

Mr. Bloggs
22nd Mar 2007, 22:50
Sounds like you carry your Jepp charts. All on the aircraft here.

Some blokes use a grooming bag for their torch (flashlight to some), passport, license and calculator. Most use a laptop bag of some sort.

You will need room for your laptop, hat (take out the plastic form but use it for line checks), some paper files (maps of China, Russia, Europe and North Pacific and notes on surrounding airports), calculator, pens (use hotel pens, they are like boomerangs, they keep coming back as apposed to nice expensive pens that are gone forever, oh yes, some Senior Checkers want “One Handed Pens”, hope you don’t get him), cool sunglasses (although you may never see the sun), headache pills, grooming bag (i.e. Shaving kit), cell phone with extra battery, condoms (for you young blokes), magazines for the LAX trips (wait until the Skipper or Relief Commander rips one out, I been asked if Flight International is company material), multi currency wallet to bring home extra meal allowances ( I never seemed to need one), and your Passport.

Come to think of it, there’s not much in my bag related to flying.

CX gives a discount on Samsonite luggage (they have to be making money off it somewhere). You can get the big one or the small one. If you are joining as an S/O, get the small one. You will only have four day ULH’s or three day Australia (you are in the air for half of it). You may want to have a big one if you go to your home country and want to bring back a case of something you miss or winter in Europe or Eastern North America.

Very few have stickers on their luggage or Nav bags. Maybe one tie-on to identify it from the rest. Don’t make it a yellow tie on; people get upset about yellow here.

Some blokes get Tumi knock-off in Seoul or buy the real deal (lifetime warranty) or the victornox bags by Swiss Army. SA is cheaper and has a limited lifetime warranty. Both of these are better because they are lighter than leather.

On the airside in HK you can get a 20% discount on Tumi or SA bags. Look on the Internet for the style you want. Buy the Samsonite from CX.

Good Luck:ok:

P.S. Do you know how to make a bunk that you can bounce a Hong Kong Dollar a foot in the air?:ugh: You will understand when you get here.

Harbour Dweller
23rd Mar 2007, 01:43
P.S. Do you know how to make a bunk that you can bounce a Hong Kong Dollar a foot in the air?:ugh: You will understand when you get here.

Ha ha... forgot all about that.

Bunk makers only seem to fly on the B744. Most other fleets have grown up a little. As a nice touch don't forget to add a little chocolate on the pillow for those senior fleet members. ;)