PDA

View Full Version : AOC, Ops manuals etc

SEL
21st Mar 2007, 17:26
Had a discussion about AOCs etc. today, such is the exciting life I lead. Whilst chatting I remembered there are people who will produce some parts of the material needed for the AOC.
I was then told some parts are almost 'off the shelf' and are then modified to the specific operation (I thought that was for FTOs).
This got me to wondering which parts they could produce, would it be the Ops manual and maybe the Maintenance arrangements? Does anyone know who does this kind of thing?

zalt
21st Mar 2007, 17:41
There are. What you do is pay a conultant rate for basically something that a previous inspector has bought off wit the company name chnaged and as you don't work it out for yourself you'll never understand either whats written or what the rule is.

Helinut
21st Mar 2007, 19:29
Don't forget the guts of it is specified in JAR-OPS 3 and CAP something or other.

My advice is do your own if you possibly can. Don't try and impress someone by putting in stuff that will later be a pain in the neck for you to actually do. One of the points of the Ops Manual is that it is your statement of how you propose to operate. Its on that basis that you get your AOC and keeping it is conditional upon operating in accordance with the Ops Manual. It is rather difficult to persuade your FOI to remove something you put in, because it is a pain.

Rushes
21st Mar 2007, 19:58
Often, as Helinut says, those that get something off the shelf then find it hard work to have things removed or changed that are not as relevant to their operation once they start reading it.

And possibly even more frustrating, and understandably so, is the fact that they sometimes come formatted from the provider.... so if and when you decide after a while to go it alone and redo it to make it relevant to your operation you'll have to type it all over again from page 1... very tedious! :{

Good luck,

Rushes

Ps: I am however sure that in some circumstances these shelf born items are just what the doctor ordered.

22nd Mar 2007, 02:22
Golden Rule; Never put in anything in the Ops Man that you can later get pinned for (when you don't abide by it). For example; don't write in that you will do 2 check rides a year if you ever only intend to do 1 (they will nab you for it), etc etc.
If using a consultant, get one who WILL work with you and not against. Remember your paying the money and it is your operation. Proof read everything as if you were a CAA inspector prior to submitting it.
If the consultant won't work this way, go find one who will.
It will work out better in the long run.
Also, think ahead about the types of operations you will be doing (even if not now) because it will porbably cost you every time you want to submit another ammendment!
Happy writing.
800 :ok:

paco
22nd Mar 2007, 04:01
SEL

Check yer PMs

phil