PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Fuel System

Tom-Max.g
21st Mar 2007, 16:50
This is my first New Thread. I'm an ex-Jane's contributor now full-time author. Can anyone answer any of these questions?
If it becomes necessary in an emergency to dump fuel on the GR.4 (a) Does the pilot or the WSO hit the switch? (b) Which side of the cockpit is the control? (c) Is a partial dump possible, or once initiated, is all of the fuel jettisoned?
Many thanks, Tom.

threeputt
21st Mar 2007, 17:58
The GIF has the sw but if the GIB has any sense he will take a flying glove off, start a stop-watch, grab one of his knackers hard or something similar, to remind him not to let his GIF leave the sw open for too long. Leave sw on for too long and you are in for a Martin Baker let down!

3P

raytofclimb
21st Mar 2007, 18:06
In the longer, missile bearing version, the pilot only controls the fuel dump. There is a master dump switch, then a choice of two switches for dumping from either the front group or rear group of fuel cells, or both.

It comes out near the top of the fin and can be ceased at any time and will cease automatically if you get down to 300kg in either group (but you've really f****d it then unless you're about to land!). The switches are all on the front right console just below the warning panel and I believe the GR4 is exactly the same.

Why could you possibly want to know this? Wouldn't you rather have some secret weapons info?

Ray

advocatusDIABOLI
21st Mar 2007, 19:06
Raytof.... is exactly correct. My personal technique was to open the dumps, and then close them if I had to take my hand off the switches! Just too easy to be distracted until the 'Amber' fuel light+Cross Feed etc.....

I know of one pilot who was distracted by a glove on the coming!! whilst wondering how it got there, and why was his hand cold... the lights started flashing..... you guessed it: Amber Fuel+Cross Feed etc...... Doh! Got back, but lucky for him the taxi in was short!

Advo

mojocvh
21st Mar 2007, 19:22
.....are their still issues with the gamma (sorry I know that's wrong) fuel pipeline couplings?????????

sense1
21st Mar 2007, 19:43
(c) Is a partial dump possible, or once initiated, is all of the fuel jettisoned?

Of course a partial dump is possible - in fact its highly recommended! Ha ha :rolleyes: Lets think about that question mate! What would be the use of a complete fuel dump? I MEAN REALLY?!?! That is the same as having an 'engine dump' option, or an emergency wing and fin jettison button, or tieing your ejection seat to the jet so you can pull yourself back in after you eject in case you change your mind shortly after pulling the handle! :E

ORAC
21st Mar 2007, 20:19
I think he was alluding to a dial-in dump limit. I can recall a Spam driver (not sure what type) being slightly bemused at a system being designed in such a way. He explained that, in his jet, you worked out a min fuel level you wanted for the trip and dialled it in when you got to the jet. If you dumped fuel, it dumped down to that level and automatically stopped - rather than being hardwired at an arbitrary level.

SSSETOWTF
21st Mar 2007, 20:46
ORAC,

Harrier II and F-18 have exactly the system you describe. You dial in any fuel quantity you want and when the total fuel gets to that amount you get a 'BINGO' caption (+ bitching Betty in the AV-8B & Hornet). Fuel dumping stops automatically when the bingo caption comes on - the dump switches are held on magnetically. Once you've flown with a system like it, you do wonder why on earth you'd ever design anything else. And that Tornado fuel panel is a total disaster - switches with forwards for 'off' right next to other switches that have backwards for 'off'. Who on earth thought that was a good idea????

advocatusDIABOLI
21st Mar 2007, 21:12
Interesting points raised:

1. Why is the Tonka 'Red' Fuel light at 50kgs?.... might as easily read 'Game Over'

2. Why doesn't fuel dump stop (and Amber Illuminate) at the 'Selected Div-a/c fuel line in the MC = present total'?

3. Why can't I set a 'Bingo'?

Oh, silly me! ........Money......:ugh:

Advo